Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's your opinion on Johnny Depp?

None of us know him personally, but the court case he choose to have televised gave us a good glimpse.

I'm not just talking about his Amber era, but in general.

I think he's always been snooty and pervy. The lovey dovey stuff he did publicly with his early loves were cringeworthy (the non-stop "we're so in love" campaign with barely legal Winona, and that sexual photoshoot with Kate Moss) I can't stand his purple prose way of talking. He always tries to appear so cool and above it, and spoke non-stop about how acting isn't a real job and he's just doing it for money; he complained about fame, even though he clearly loves it.

He's a hypocrite. He spoke about how France is the better option to raise his kids because they were too good to be raised in USA--a land with drug dealers on every corner. Depp had no problem drinking and drugging around his kids.

As for his looks: I think he's overrated. He's very good looking certain roles like Blow and Chocolate, even the Pirates franchise--he looks better with long hair and facial hair. However, I never found him attractive with his normal, clean-shaven appearance with short hair (like Donnie Brasco, Nick of Time, Rum Diaries) He looks best with eyeliner.

Acting ability? It depends on the character. He's good at the over the top type, and yes, Jack Sparrow is very charismatic But he's bland and replaceable in more normal roles.

Also, the legal mess with Amber Heard showed just how vindictive and relentless he is. I don't know or care if she abused him, but Depp clearly abused her too. Go to the subreddit DeppDelusion and you'll see all the stuff he's done. Forget about the physical abuse for a second, and look at the emotional abuse. There are texts and phone call recordings where he's calling Amber old and over the hill because she was approaching 30, making fun of her for not having kids by 30, accusing her of being a gold digger but getting upset when she tries to work.

Unless he has severe memory loss, he must know that he was abusive. The fact that he'd seek a televised trial to show off what a good guy he is, shows just how arrogant, delusional and mean-spirited he is. He clearly has a scat fetish, so if Amber did shit his bed, I assumed Depp liked it. He's also suing a different guy who claims Depp stole his lyrics--these lyrics were published years before Depp released his recent album. How can he think he can get away with this? He's a rich bully who knows he can silence poorer people with lawsuits.

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2023 2:09 PM

Never really cared for him. He is basically George from Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf now

by Anonymousreply 1December 17, 2022 2:31 PM

R1 How so?

by Anonymousreply 2December 17, 2022 2:43 PM

OP, why in the world would you assume the out of the hundreds of thousands of gays who come here, many of whom work in the industry, none of us would know him?

I would guess that every celebrity on America is known by at least one person here, if not by many. Maybe not as close friends, but for instance, given my job, I know many dozens. And I know a few other people on this site who knows dozens more.

We're not all trolls who live in our mother's basements in Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 3December 17, 2022 2:46 PM

R3 Okay, do you or any of your friends know him?

by Anonymousreply 4December 17, 2022 2:49 PM

I think he's tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 5December 17, 2022 7:12 PM

An entertainer whose career largely depended on his boyish appeal to females, who threw it all away in order to indulge a sadistic urge to publicly torture and humiliate his ex-wife.

by Anonymousreply 6December 17, 2022 7:52 PM

[quote]the hundreds of thousands of gays who come here

HA! HAAahahahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2022 7:57 PM

A reasonably talented guy, buoyed along by his good looks & quirkiness, who hit it big when he paired up with Tim Burton. But he's not very intelligent and clearly has no one around him that cares about him enough to get to clean up & straighten up. Will some day show up in the tabs under "whatever happened to.." as a fat toothless old man living in some sub-standard housing with no one to are for him.

by Anonymousreply 8December 17, 2022 8:56 PM

If I never heard his name again, it would be fine with me.

by Anonymousreply 9December 17, 2022 8:59 PM

I loved him in the 90s. Thought he made really interesting film choices and gave outstanding performances. He was in four of my favorite childhood movies: Edward Scissorhands, Benny and Joon, Ed Wood, and Gilbert Grape.

Once he became a huge Movie Star in the 00s? I lost interest. Good for him for cashing in, but his choices become boring.

by Anonymousreply 10December 17, 2022 9:06 PM

He was hawt and a fantastic actor and made interesting films. Until he became a dumpster fire.

by Anonymousreply 11December 17, 2022 9:46 PM

OP's post. TLDR

by Anonymousreply 12December 17, 2022 9:52 PM

Never understood why he was ever considered a “great actor.” Although I like Donny Brasco a lot; mainly because he and Pacino worked really well together.

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2022 2:52 AM

Sour pusses, the lot of you. The screen loved him and so did the public. Must have made him half a billion bucks at some point.

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2022 2:54 AM

He is dumb, dumb, dumb. He should thank his lucky stars every day and stfu!!

Did he really nag Amber for being "old", considering he is so much older? What a fuckdouche.

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2022 3:00 AM

Ok actor but things went really downhill for him once he starred in the hideous disgusting Tim Burton wonka film. I couldn't shake the image of how grotesque the film was in my head. Then he did the equally awful Tim Burton Alice film. I liked him as an actor prior to those films but I was never enamored with his looks

by Anonymousreply 16December 18, 2022 3:08 AM

And not to get to OT but Tim Burton is a destroyer of careers. No actor or actress should work with him from this point on. Whatever talent he had is gone.

by Anonymousreply 17December 18, 2022 3:09 AM

I don’t think hanging out with alcoholic misogynistic antisocial asshole Hunter S. Thompson helped him much. He seemed to conflate being a “wild man” “outcast” “rural bad boy” who also being an abusive cruel pick to women.

I feel he is easily impressionable and hanging out with some of the misfits and social outcasts he gravitated towards really led him astray.

by Anonymousreply 18December 18, 2022 3:18 AM

He used to be beautiful and made interesting acting choices. Now he's a gross drunk and drug addict who looks like he smells of BO and cigarettes and booze.

by Anonymousreply 19December 18, 2022 3:19 AM

Was very attractive and made interesting choices especially in the 90s. But deeply miserable, narcissistic and insecure and threw many people under the bus for his rise to fame. Created a pseudo-intellectual European persona and was condescending about it. Cares a lot about his fame and craves adoration no matter what he says. Amber Heard was a bitch but exposed a lot of his real personality. He's why nobody should meet their idols

by Anonymousreply 20December 18, 2022 3:26 AM

Believes he is highly intelligent, cultured, cool and artistic. Delusional and an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2022 3:28 AM

He peaked with Ed Wood. Without Tom Burton he'd likely still be doing TV or b-list movies like Private Resort. John Waters also made very good use of him in Cry-Baby.

by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2022 3:32 AM

Depp thinks he is "the smartest person in the room" when the opposite is true. Besides he is fucking gross looking. I bet he has fungus growing on his balls.

by Anonymousreply 23December 18, 2022 3:45 AM

R18 He seemed to have had no personality when young. Just an empty vessel with an intense need to be liked. He talked about how he moved around a lot as a kid and he had difficulty making friends and became reclusive. And his parents splitting being rough on him and his mom worked a lot and was an alcoholic. So he was neglected. He said he used to cut himself and contemplate suicide before finding music as a comfort. That sounds like he has borderline personality disorder and depression. He was a typical hick before becoming close to Tim Burton and Hunter S Thompson, Keith Richards and others. And started affecting this pseudo intelligent hipster persona and embracing the junkie lifestyle. He's eternally a teenager who never resolved his childhood trauma.

I think he craves attention and controversy and he'll never deal with being irrelevant well. I don't feel bad for him because he has the money and resources to get help.

by Anonymousreply 24December 18, 2022 4:02 AM

Johnny Depp has always been an oddity/novelty act and has now reached his expiry date. Like Madonna he is desperately trying to hold onto his youth and looks ridiculous. And yes, I don't like what he did to Amber Heard either. I haven't seen one of his bomb movies for a long time and nor do I intend to!

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2022 4:13 AM

R17 Why is Tim Burton a destroyer of careers?

by Anonymousreply 26December 18, 2022 10:27 AM

I look forward to the news he's DEAD TO ME. Honestly.

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2022 11:03 AM

What sexual photo shoot with Kate Moss?

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2022 11:03 AM

I get the impression that if he was a young person in the 1960s, he would have been involved with Charles Manson's cult.

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2022 11:13 AM

He was good in Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood.

by Anonymousreply 30December 18, 2022 11:22 AM

He's basically Norma Desmond at this point.

Or he's going to wind up being Joe Gillis: face down, but at least it will be in his own pool.

A thrice nominated loser.

Don't kid yourself, Johnny.

Too late.

by Anonymousreply 31December 18, 2022 11:22 AM

I don't understand how a man blessed with such a beautiful face would destroy it especially since it was his claim to fame. Most white men with brown hair and brown eyes age beautifully because they have more melanin which protects from sun damage and hides blemishes. Look at Richard Gere, Billy Crudup, Colin Farrell, Josh Hartnett, George Clooney, Antonio Banderas, Anthony Perkins, etc. Johnny would have aged well if he didn't become a drug addict, alcoholic and stopped taking care of his hygiene. It's hard to forget he used to look like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 18, 2022 4:33 PM

He was only 26 in that picture and he looks mature, which is weird because he was also 26/27 in Crybaby but he looked like a real teenager in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 33December 18, 2022 6:39 PM

The phrase "I've had sufficient" comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 34December 18, 2022 9:33 PM

Everyone says he has a fake British accent , but I can't hear it. He just sounds like a marble-mouth American.

by Anonymousreply 35March 26, 2023 12:04 PM

An over the hill

SKANK

by Anonymousreply 36March 26, 2023 12:07 PM

[quote] And yes, I don't like what he did to Amber Heard either.

Amber Turd has entered the chat.

by Anonymousreply 37March 26, 2023 12:21 PM

Considerably overrated. Hearing him howl through "Sweeney Todd" was unforgivable.

by Anonymousreply 38March 26, 2023 12:31 PM

R38 Sweeney Todd would have been better without the singing.

by Anonymousreply 39March 26, 2023 12:39 PM

I don't know anything about his childhood/background. He was abused by his mother? Is that correct?

My impression of him is that he's cobbled together a persona for himself based on Hunter S. Thompson, Keith Richards and Marlon Brando. He probably asks himself, 'What would Hunter do?' in any give situation.

I'm not a fan though I liked him as an actor. But he's squandered his talent, looks and money, so it's hard to feel sorry for him. He got what he deserved with Heard.

by Anonymousreply 40March 26, 2023 12:53 PM

R26 = Tim Burton

by Anonymousreply 41March 26, 2023 12:54 PM

I'll add a positive note. I've dined out on this story at the good, old DL many times, and here it is again.

Depp, at one time, could manage to be "nice to the little people".

I was close friends and family with locals who both he and Marian Cotillard talked to, and learned from, when they both were researching their roles in "Public Enemies" (an underappreciated movie, imho).

Of course, "What were they like?" was my first question from those who met them.

To a person, they all said that both Depp and Cotillard could not have been nicer; almost disappointing in how down-to-Earth and engaging they were. No movie-star attitude whatsoever. They both had lots of questions for them and really listened and engaged with them.

I could not get over how Cotillard won, for "La Vie En Rose", Best Actress in France on a Saturday night, won her Oscar on a Sunday night, and then, there she was in my little, rural Northern WI town Tuesday night.

That gave me great insight to how driven and career focused "A List" actors are at that level.

Hell, if that were me (and speaking of insight, this is why I'm not driven and famous), I'd have taken a couple of weeks off to stare at my awards, poolside.

by Anonymousreply 42March 26, 2023 1:02 PM

Depp is Florida white trash, no more no less.

As noted above, he is the male Norma Desmond at this point.

I'd like to think he is paying now for the part he played in River Phoenix's death.

by Anonymousreply 43March 26, 2023 1:57 PM

R43 What does it even mean to be Florida white trash? He was born poor but has achieved a lot. If somebody's born poor, are they automatically considered trash for life, even if they go on to be successful?

by Anonymousreply 44March 26, 2023 2:04 PM

When JD began cosplaying Keith Richards I thought, "uh oh , this won't end well." It never does. Many men have tried to be like KR. Most of them are no longer living.

by Anonymousreply 45March 26, 2023 2:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!