Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Avatar 2 opening slightly lower than tracking

Deadline says it’s because people are waiting to see it in the largest format theaters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264February 19, 2023 4:14 PM

Or it could be because many people have no intention whatsoever of going into a crowded theater, risking COVID.

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2022 9:36 PM

Fuck FernGully 2.

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2022 9:37 PM

Sure 👍

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2022 9:38 PM

I can’t believe people want to see this.

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2022 9:38 PM

A nerd on YT said they ended this movie the exact same way as the first with a close up of the blue smurf opening their eyes. The movie is 100% a cut and paste of the original. Once people hear this by word of mouth there will be no repeat viewings and it is over for Cameron.

by Anonymousreply 5December 17, 2022 1:02 AM

The bodies are cut, but their eyes are so far apart!

by Anonymousreply 6December 17, 2022 1:04 AM

R5 Indeed. The success and huge box office of the first film was because IMAX was kinda new and the 3d aspect really pushed it to filmgoers. Those days are long gone.

by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2022 1:07 AM

Smurfs with better graphics.

by Anonymousreply 8December 17, 2022 1:18 AM

barf

by Anonymousreply 9December 17, 2022 1:19 AM

I hated the original.

by Anonymousreply 10December 17, 2022 2:36 AM

They look like really ripped blue panther people. It all looks so cheesy and fake--like a bad videogame.

by Anonymousreply 11December 17, 2022 2:39 AM

R11 All video games are bad.

by Anonymousreply 12December 17, 2022 2:42 AM

R7 Right.

I never understood why the first movie made so much money and I don’t understand why there’s a second movie.

I don’t feel like people were asking for one.

With as much as the first movie made, it’s not on the level of Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or Marvel movies. It hasn’t built much of a culture or popularity since it made a gazillion at the box office.

I thought the movie was so boring too. It was just a retelling of Fern Gully.

by Anonymousreply 13December 17, 2022 2:48 AM

A dude on YT called it Smurfing with Whales. Hah!

by Anonymousreply 14December 17, 2022 10:38 AM

It’s probably crap, but at least it isn’t yet another fucking superhero movie.

by Anonymousreply 15December 17, 2022 11:01 AM

Yikes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 17, 2022 11:10 AM

Actually i went to check the Cinemark app and this is a 9:50 AM showing for the large format theater

I guess people are making an effort to see it in large format

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 17, 2022 11:18 AM

R16 Sure, Jan. Are you rilly that gullible? Jeeeeeesaaaaaaaaas.

by Anonymousreply 18December 17, 2022 11:23 AM

Are you really that gullible that you think this movie is going to make any money.

by Anonymousreply 19December 17, 2022 11:54 AM

Like I give any fucks if it makes money. Just because someone posts a stupid pic on Reddit doesn't make it true, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 20December 17, 2022 11:56 AM

R5

Is the story, and message, the same as the original?

by Anonymousreply 21December 17, 2022 11:57 AM

You’re retarded and old R20. Go back to your adjustable bed grampa and wait for your jello quietly.

by Anonymousreply 22December 17, 2022 11:59 AM

R19

It is clearly making money, the question is if it makes enough for the high budget.

I think after it goes to streaming it will be worth it. This film will probably break records on streaming.

by Anonymousreply 23December 17, 2022 12:02 PM

Avatar will be the new goal post for massive hubristic flops. It’s been Ishtar for decades. Now it will be Avatar.

by Anonymousreply 24December 17, 2022 12:03 PM

[quote] I’m hearing in markets like NYC and LA, it’s difficult to get an Imax, Dolby or PLF ticket for this weekend.

It takes sixty seconds to check that this statement is a bald faced lie. Not a single showing in NY is sold out and that’s in the Imax theaters. In the smaller rooms, theaters are yawning with seats.

by Anonymousreply 25December 17, 2022 12:10 PM

Me and my Son saw this on Thursday. We liked it a lot, but it does run about an hour too long and some of the storyline is unnecessary and some parts go on too long. It is absolutely incredible to see in 3D. The scenes with the whales are beautiful. We were the only ones in the theatre. The movie is very good but pretty violent and surprisingly heartbreaking in some parts.

by Anonymousreply 26December 17, 2022 12:26 PM

Saw Avatar last night. Lame script, and hour too long, my leg fell asleep. It looked like the cut scenes from a video game. It’s a spectacle, I would see it stoned. Recommend…eh. Neutral. Give yourself permission to walk out if you’re not into it. The theater was 25% full. It will be a disappointment at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 27December 17, 2022 1:36 PM

Continuing to drop

Now at 130

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 17, 2022 3:38 PM

Totally seems like a cartoon for stoners. I laughed when Sigourney said in an interview that it was “all her.” Bitch you were animated to be a blue cartoon.

by Anonymousreply 29December 17, 2022 3:45 PM

The shopping centers are packed, maybe people are just busy doing that.

by Anonymousreply 30December 17, 2022 4:08 PM

Retail had one of its worst Novembers in decades, R30. I doubt shopping is stopping anyone from going to see this overlong video game cut scene.

by Anonymousreply 31December 17, 2022 7:56 PM

Who’s the gorgeous Heath Ledger-ish stud with the dreads?

by Anonymousreply 32December 17, 2022 9:23 PM

R32 finally.. the important questions.

by Anonymousreply 33December 17, 2022 9:44 PM

I live down the street from a major regional retail center and the streets around it are basically parking lots. People are Christmas shopping like they haven’t in years.

by Anonymousreply 34December 17, 2022 10:47 PM

R22 Stop watching the Golden Girls! Stupid twat. It has rendered you beyond stupid and incomprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 35December 18, 2022 12:38 AM

Some observers have a different view. They want to call it a Bomb already for some reason.

[quote]It’s now estimated Avatar 2 will be lucky to hit $150 million for the weekend with even $120 million possible. This after James Cameron has let it be known that Avatar: The Way of Water needs to hit $2 billion just to break even.

[quote] Recall while the Hollywood trades were offering the flick was going to open sky high, I reported how Avatar 2 was actually tracking less than the $181 million box office of Marvel’s Black Panther: Wakanda Forever – so no spin here – and Wakanda Forever will be lucky to hit $800 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 18, 2022 12:49 AM

Is this going to be anti Caucasian and American like the original that was totally forgettable?

by Anonymousreply 37December 18, 2022 12:51 AM

My two reasons, why this film is not doing that well:

1) it took wayyyy too long for this sequel, 13 years. People forgot about the first one because it was not a "classic" by any stretch of imagination.

2) Cameron did nothing to keep people's interest in this franchise and failed to make it a multimedia universe. Look at Star Wars or Star Trek, they had tons of spin-offs including TV shows, movies, books, comics and video games that explored the lore and could be part of the canon. This kept these two franchises in the public eye for decades.

by Anonymousreply 38December 18, 2022 12:54 AM

Right on the 💰 r38 ☝🏼

by Anonymousreply 39December 18, 2022 1:01 AM

From that article at r36,on the status of Avatar 3:

[quote] Jeff Sneider also said Cameron recently turned in a cut of Avatar 3 which is 9 hours long and that Cameron wants all the VFX done before he makes his final cut!

So they have to do VFX effects for a nine hour movie sequel before he cuts it down to 3 hours? I wonder if anyone can figure out how to cut costs on Avatar 3?

by Anonymousreply 40December 18, 2022 1:13 AM

The above link says its performance is mimicking The Batman (dom. gross $370mm) which is another IP tentpole that was not really needed and much, much too long (also three hours).

The last two bonafide blockbusters were Top Gun Maverick (2 hr 10 mins) and Spider-Man No Way Home (2 hours 28 mins). I think the lesson is going to be that two and a half hours is the absolute ceiling for these films.

by Anonymousreply 41December 18, 2022 1:16 AM

I do wonder wear is the studio balls that would smack back at these filmmakers for these ridiculous runtimes. Matt Reeves has no clout, how did he get away with a three hour runtime?

by Anonymousreply 42December 18, 2022 1:20 AM

Remember Steven Spielberg’s early blockbusters? All two hours.

by Anonymousreply 43December 18, 2022 1:21 AM

Unless it's a biopic or historical film, I don't see why any movie needs to run over 2 hours. It's getting tedious and doesn't mean awards will magically appear. Yes, movies and albums can be too long and I don't get why directors seem to lost the idea of "less is more" and "show don't tell."

by Anonymousreply 44December 18, 2022 1:25 AM

Nobody is going to the movies anymore. And is streaming that good? It seems like endless crap to me, no?

by Anonymousreply 45December 18, 2022 1:25 AM

This movie has to earn close to a billion to break even . That’s insane

by Anonymousreply 46December 18, 2022 1:33 AM

It’s not even a movie. Are billion dollar movies even movies or are they events?

by Anonymousreply 47December 18, 2022 1:37 AM

Movies today just seem like the hobby of the uber-rich. They don’t seem like anything entertaining at all.

by Anonymousreply 48December 18, 2022 1:38 AM

[quote] This movie has to earn close to a billion to break even . That’s insane

Cameron says it's *** 2 BILLION *** to break even. See link at r36.

So what's the level above insanity?

by Anonymousreply 49December 18, 2022 1:40 AM

Kinda sad ☝🏼

by Anonymousreply 50December 18, 2022 1:44 AM

Audiences are used to watching longer stories at home now. These filmmakers who want to stick people in theater seats, even the plush reclining ones, for 3+ hours are nuts. Most of us will just wait for the damn thing to come on streaming in a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 51December 18, 2022 2:15 AM

A 3 hour movie is best viewed at home where you can at least take a break, go to the bathroom, eat and go back to it. In a theatre I'd fall asleep especially a movie like Avatar where it's all spectacle and sound and generic characters. It would have to really engage me. A very well-written movie with fascinating characters goes by fast. Also, children have little attention spans to sit through a movie that long and this movie appeals to family audiences. Parents would rather wait for it to go on streaming for that reason as well. You can't tell arrogant hacks like Cameron that though.

by Anonymousreply 52December 18, 2022 2:26 AM

R51, it’s the castrated studios being too terrified to stand up to auteurs. This is Heaven’s Gate 2. I wouldn’t be surprised if that nine hour cut of Avatar 3 ends up as a limited series on Disney+ with a noticeable cut in effect costs.

The people comparing it to Top Gun Maverick are crazy. There’s a ceiling for the general audience to make a big hit. They have the young male market locked in. TGM brought in an older and more conservative demographic who felt alienated by the accusatory and hostile social messages directed towards them in blockbuster entertainment over the past few years. You can call them MAGA trash all you want, but you need them to cross a billion.

It seems like the general audience is getting sophisticated to heavy-handed political themes. The total rejection of socially progressive movies over the past few months seems to be speaking to this.

That’s a big factor what Avatar 2 is facing right now. There’s a distrust among the audience with Hollywood right now and I think a lot of people, whether or not it’s true, think this environmental epic might be a three-hour lecture of why they’re an asshole for not owning an electric car.

by Anonymousreply 53December 18, 2022 5:05 AM

Good point R53. I watched a few YT reviews. They all said the movie is sans heavy handed political messages. They mostly thought it was purely about family, which most can accept.

by Anonymousreply 54December 18, 2022 5:08 AM

OP’s photo looks retarded.

by Anonymousreply 55December 18, 2022 5:55 AM

Cameron seems to be deliberately confusing about the cost to make this sequel and the amount of ticket sales needed to break even. Some sources say the cost of Avatar 2 was between $350 to $400 million. (See Link.) And in some interviews, Cameron says the cost of Avatar 2 PLUS Avatar 3 (not completed yet) is about a billion dollars. Then he says Avatar 2 ALL BY ITSELF will need to make about $2 billon for the movie to break even. That doesn't line up with the original cost of Avatar 2 ($400 million).

So is he a showman proud of his manly risk-taking or is he actually telling the truth about a $2 billion break even for this movie alone? Hard to tell right now, but I can't imagine he wants to be associated with a big financial flop, so look for his squishy production cost figures to change again. Or maybe he means Avatar 2 & 3 TOGETHER need to make $2 billion to break even. It's not entirely clear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 18, 2022 6:06 AM

Movies like theater are dead. No one wants to admit it.

by Anonymousreply 57December 18, 2022 6:35 AM

Studios are to blame ultimately, R57. They got too drunk off the success of Marvel. When the only movies you make are about superheroes, you train people who aren’t into that shit not to go to the theater. Then streaming came along and catered to adult audiences. Too little, too late.

Hope Shazam 2 is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 58December 18, 2022 6:53 AM

For Avatar 3 does the main female character make a dress from the curtains when civil war breaks out among the tribes?

by Anonymousreply 59December 18, 2022 7:08 AM

Twink Britain Dalton is in the movie. And this creepy pic looks like Cameron is happy with his choice!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 18, 2022 7:16 AM

It feels like a lifetime ago when the original Avatar came out. The moviegoing experience has changed with the rise of superhero movies and streaming. And whenever I get together with friends, they're more likely to talk about the latest show to binge -- The White Lotus, Euphoria. I was at a dinner party last night and nobody mentioned Avatar 2 but talked about all the must-see TV shows.

Personally I am a huge fan of 3D films but I've realized that 3D films are a niche market. They have a loyal fan base but they don't have a massive fan base. 3D TVs and 3D Blu Rays didn't take off. They were lots of 3D TVs and Blu-Rays released when Avatar came out but they didn't take off.

I love Cameron's films and his passion for pushing film technology. But I think he should have made something other than a sequel to Avatar.

by Anonymousreply 61December 18, 2022 7:35 AM

I can't believe Cameron is rereleasing Titanic in 4k and HDR or some such shit on Valentine's day 2023. How fucking lame. I'm sure the brainless morons will flock to it.

by Anonymousreply 62December 18, 2022 7:54 AM

Every screenshot I’ve seen of this movie looks terrible. The CGI looks amateurish and flat. I have no intention of going to see it OR labouring through its bloated runtime when it reaches streaming.

by Anonymousreply 63December 18, 2022 8:10 AM

Not enough tail fuckin’!

by Anonymousreply 64December 18, 2022 8:23 AM

$135 million! It literally duplicated The Batman’s opening! Unbelievable! The runtime will be blamed.

Gigantic, massive embarrassment for Cameron and Disney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 18, 2022 10:37 AM

Studios need to bring back GOOD 2-hour movies. Original stories, no remakes or marvel-drivel, no prequels to sequels, no reinterpretations of old Agata Christie or Conan Doyle — Give us fresh fairytales, detectives, action movies, crimes, thrillers.. with stories never told before.

Use casting that makes sense for the time period, and stop the preaching.

That will bring people back to the cinemas.

by Anonymousreply 66December 18, 2022 10:46 AM

I remember when Zack Snyder claimed redemption for his four hour Justice League. The truth is that Warner Bros. was correct when they insisted on a two hour film. If you cannot tell a comic book story under the two and a half hour runtime, you cannot make a theatrical film.

by Anonymousreply 67December 18, 2022 10:47 AM

It’s fascinating to look at the box office hits of other decades. In 1991, six of the top ten grossing movies weren’t based on previously established IP. Let that sink in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 18, 2022 10:57 AM

I only counted four not based on IP (Home Alone, City Slickers, Dances With Wolves and Sleeping With the Enemy)

by Anonymousreply 69December 18, 2022 11:02 AM

R69, I guess I was cheating since I included Robin Hood and Silence of the Lambs and they are based off books. Still, Manhunter was a bomb, none of the promotion of Silence was tied to it, and it seemed to be a standalone picture.

Also, the appeal of Prince of Thieves seemed to be of its production and less about the brand of Robin Hood, unlike that stupid Guy Ritchie reboot that tried to establish a franchise.

by Anonymousreply 70December 18, 2022 11:56 AM

I’d probably go see it if not for Covid. NYC is under a mask advisory.

by Anonymousreply 71December 18, 2022 12:00 PM

Has anyone here seen it?

by Anonymousreply 72December 18, 2022 12:04 PM

R71 Bingo! Millions of people who would see it won't see it because of fear of covid. That has to be factored in to box office.

by Anonymousreply 73December 18, 2022 12:10 PM

You’ve been ratioed R35. It’s embarrassing. Go back to bed.

by Anonymousreply 74December 18, 2022 12:11 PM

Last film I saw in a cinema was Parasite just before the Covid outbreak. I hope A2 is good.

by Anonymousreply 75December 18, 2022 12:13 PM

Cameron’s back up plan (he knew this movie would flop) is that he’s already made the third movie (there is no fourth and fifth - that’s utter fantasy) and the studio will have to release it. More likely, he will have to find a way to release it himself. No studio likes to be bilked and lose money. It’s a business. You’re only as good as your last hit, and this isn’t a hit. In fact, James Cameron hasn’t HAD a hit in nearly fifteen years. He’s not a part of current Hollywood. He’s not relevant. He’s an old straight white man who is way behind the times.

by Anonymousreply 76December 18, 2022 12:16 PM

No R46, as stated by Cameron himself it has to earn over TWO billion just to break even.

by Anonymousreply 77December 18, 2022 12:18 PM

[quote]Deadline says it’s because people are waiting to see it in the largest format theaters.

I could almost buy that explanation since the only reason to see the movie is to see it on IMAX.

I remember seeing the first one on IMAX and have to admit that it was spectacular to see the effects. That final battle was incredible. Of course, effects have come so far since then that I doubt that it's as far ahead today as it was back then.

by Anonymousreply 78December 18, 2022 12:18 PM

[quote] The people comparing it to Top Gun Maverick are crazy

Top Gun Maverick also was an undeniable rare cultural moment that almost never happens for film anymore. That’s why it will be nominated for Best Picture and Avatar won’t. Young straight white guys were all sporting mustaches because they thought it made them look sexy like the Top Gun actors. A sixty year old man was able to get asses in seats for the sequel to a mediocre 80s flick that was mostly an afterthought.

by Anonymousreply 79December 18, 2022 12:23 PM

Personally, I find the 3 hour runtime to be the major obstacle for watching it. One reason is my attention span; the other reason is my bladder.

Isn't a 3-hour runtime a problem for the theaters, too? Sounds like it reduces the number of showings per day of a theater. Basically, the movie is hogging real estate. A 3-hour movie doesn't sound like a wise move for anyone.

by Anonymousreply 80December 18, 2022 12:26 PM

Wow, Deadline is absolutely DE.LU.SIO.NAL in that article at R65. I haven’t seen such a desperate bald faced media attempt to prop up a movie in a long time. Avatar 2 at 135 million this weekend is dead. And it’s not coming back.

by Anonymousreply 81December 18, 2022 12:33 PM

I found this awful review on a website. It is absolutely fucking awful. Clearly English is not his first language. I sent him a response and said it could have been reduced to three sentences if you take out the repetition. In almost every sentence, he says one thing, then immediately contradicts it! Are people really this fucking stupid! Jeesass fuck.

AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER ****** THIS IS NOTHING BUT EMPTY BEAUTY

THE FILM IS A VISUAL AND AURAL SPECTACLE BUT THAT'S IT. MISTER CAMERON'S VFX GLOATING IN AVATAR 2 IS SOMETHING TO BEHOLD BUT CAMERON FORGOT TO THROW IN A STORY OF MERIT.

FOR ME THE FILM LIES DANGEROUSLY CLOSE TO WHAT I'LL CALL A TURKEY, A TURKEY THAT IS READY TO MAKE HUNDREDS UPON HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS... BUT AN EMPTY MONEY MAKING FILM DOES NOT IMPRESS ME.

Though "Avatar: The Way of Water" is an immense spectacle in the predictable blockbuster mode, YES, a must see film, it is hardly a feature I was awaiting with anticipatory desire nor one that I particularly wanted to see, but this MONSTER film beckons and one must answer the call. It's not a film that engaged me totally as I like simpler fare but, of course, there is so much spectacle that one might be/will be floored by the immensity of the astounding technology which includes dazzling underwater sequences. It is a smarter film than AVATAR I, but that hardly means I fell for this story of Jake Skully and his family on the run, a narrative nothing more than many clichés strung together. When all is said and done, there is a great deal of messiness in The Way of Water's narrative; there's much too much left unsaid about the character's or to put it in another way, there's too much left to discover about the characters who inhabit this world. ******* It's a tough feat taking in the humongous nature of this movie - dealing with the enormity of the technology of it all while trying to hone in on the characters and a plot I'll call unwieldy. But it is better than AVATAR I which I reviewed before seeing The Way of Water, a film I scored as a one, yes a 1. Yet, I will say that part II, though hardly my cup of hemlock, is slightly better written and filmed than its predecessor. It's pretty obvious, it would seem, that the sly Cameron has future AVATARS up his non-intellectual sleeves where, hopefully, he will make certain matters more clear. ******** Oh, Yes! This new Avatar is awe-inspiring in many ways, but it's hardly a truly smart film; it's not particularly well written, but, as said, better than the first Avatar; the cast is not a particularly perfect group of actors, not by a long shot and the stylish execution of the film is hardly perfection, but it does offer moments of jaw-dropping, eye-popping spectacular awe - but that hardly inspires me to call this a great film.

by Anonymousreply 82December 18, 2022 12:33 PM

That won’t happen R66.

by Anonymousreply 83December 18, 2022 12:41 PM

Hollywood doesn’t care.

by Anonymousreply 84December 18, 2022 12:41 PM

Lol. The only narrative around this movie is whether or not it flopped at the box office. No one is talking about the movie itself or whether it’s any good. What a fucking mess.

by Anonymousreply 85December 18, 2022 12:44 PM

[quote]THIS IS NOTHING BUT EMPTY BEAUTY

Do it’s Dubai.

by Anonymousreply 86December 18, 2022 12:45 PM

*so!

by Anonymousreply 87December 18, 2022 12:45 PM

R81 Deadline completely sucks the cocks of the studios, that’s how they make money. They’re basically JustJared, say only positive things about their coverage, receive exclusive access, sell ad space.

by Anonymousreply 88December 18, 2022 1:42 PM

Deadline with Nikki Finke would have been shitting all over this terrible movie and the dumbass executives that gave into Cameron’s ridiculous hubris.

by Anonymousreply 89December 18, 2022 2:10 PM

I just went to see it. I really liked it!

Sure, the story is cliched and predictable, but the visuals are absolutely stunning. 3-D worked really well.

Weird that the theater was pretty empty.

by Anonymousreply 90December 18, 2022 2:28 PM

Deadline always makes excuses for movie box office and claims to speak for “the town” (the town is not worried”). It’s not suddenly going to make more money.

by Anonymousreply 91December 18, 2022 3:56 PM

Hopefully Deadline is getting paid for this pathetic spin:

“That’s the 6th best domestic debut in December after Spider-Man: No Way Home ($260.1M), Force Awakens ($247.9M), Last Jedi ($220M), Rise of Skywalker ($177.3M) and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story ($155M).”

Wow…what a stunning accomplishment for the most expensive movie of all time.

I think there are major, major implications to this that Deadline is trying to hide. If this bombs, how much could the studio lose?

by Anonymousreply 92December 18, 2022 4:05 PM

If you're a parent with small kids, a three hour movie is going to be difficult because kids get restless, they have tiny bladders and short attention spans. It won't be comfortable for them. Two hours should absolutely be the maximum for these type of films. Three hours as a director's cut released on streaming makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 93December 18, 2022 4:38 PM

Is 6th best supposed to be a compliment?

by Anonymousreply 94December 18, 2022 4:45 PM

Until we see how well it did internationally, we won't know whether it's a complete flop.

For Dec 16, it did $50mm domestic and another $50mm internationally.

Traditionally, "blockbusters" do about 1/3 US and 2/3 internationally. That falters when China bans it and one some very specific topics. Wakanda Forever underperformed internationally and did less than half it's $774mm box office internationally ($415mm vs. $359mm), whereas Spider Man No Way Home did $814mm domestic and $1.1b internationally, much closer to the standard split.

Avatar seems like the type of movie that will do much better internationally.

by Anonymousreply 95December 18, 2022 5:00 PM

I like blue.

by Anonymousreply 96December 18, 2022 5:03 PM

I enjoyed it. It’s visually exquisite. It’s overlong though with repetitive battle set pieces

by Anonymousreply 97December 18, 2022 5:05 PM

I'll admit to being a superficial asshole, because one reason I didn't like the first Avatar and will never watch this 3 hour slogfest is because the avatars are so ugly. I truly find those flat noses and wide-set eyes difficult to look at for very long. They're just gross.

by Anonymousreply 98December 18, 2022 5:16 PM

They have hot physiques

by Anonymousreply 99December 18, 2022 5:19 PM

I saw Princess Mononoke before I saw Avatar and I don't understand how James Cameron got away with blatantly ripping off Hayao Miyazaki. The Na'vi look very similar to the Forest Spirit. Darren Aronofsky did the same thing with ripping off Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue for Black Swan.

by Anonymousreply 100December 18, 2022 5:19 PM

I’m also curious why is Deadline being very defensive about Avatar box office’s performance. Not sure if they’ve done this to other films as well.

by Anonymousreply 101December 18, 2022 5:23 PM

[quote] kids get restless, they have tiny bladders and short attention spans. It won't be comfortable for them.

Sounds like a great business for something like TikTok Plus. Chunk it up in 160 parts and sell each part for 50 cent. I'm sure somebody is working on this type of distribution already.

by Anonymousreply 102December 18, 2022 5:27 PM

It’s opening might be modest, but it doesn’t mean its ultimate box office will be. Top Gun 2 had a modest opening, but has now made over $712 million domestic

by Anonymousreply 103December 18, 2022 5:36 PM

Deadline also did this with Bones and All, saying it was “stumbling out the gate” rather than saying it was a flop.

by Anonymousreply 104December 18, 2022 5:37 PM

And of course with The Woman King, saying it was a hit when the film has not reached $100m global, despite it’s large cost and advertising.

by Anonymousreply 105December 18, 2022 5:39 PM

R92 Keep clutching those pearls, Mary! Disney might lose some money. Who gives a fuck? Nobody.

by Anonymousreply 106December 18, 2022 5:43 PM

I just saw this. This is franchise killer bad. This is Batman V Superman bad. I have no interest any longer in seeing any more Avatar films. It’s going to plummet next week.

by Anonymousreply 107December 18, 2022 6:46 PM

SW: I want to say a few things:

No. 1 - there is an absolutely gorgeous brunette in some scenes with Edie Falco. I don’t think his character even had any lines but he was the loveliest visual in the new movie.

No. 2 - Sigourney Weaver speaking as a teenage alien reminded me of Joan Crawford subbing for Christina on the soap opera when she was on leave.

No. 3 - it’s obvious James Cameron has become sexually attracted to the Navi.

No. 4 - they all look alike to me. Yeah, I said it.

No. 5 - the high frame rate looks beautiful underwater but is disastrous on land. It looks like motion smoothing on HDTV.

No. 6 - this is the kind of movie that is so bad that the director quotes one of the most famous hairpin turns in action movie history, his own - Newt’s capture in the sewer in alien

No. 7 - what will kill this movie is that all humans are depicted as unilaterally evil.

by Anonymousreply 108December 18, 2022 7:14 PM

R106 obviously you if you bothered to read an entire thread about box office.

by Anonymousreply 109December 18, 2022 7:16 PM

[quote]No. 7 - what will kill this movie is that all humans are depicted as unilaterally evil.

Spider, the Tarzan boy seemingly plucked straight out of a Bryan Singer movie, wasn't evil.

I liked it a lot more than you did, R109, but ultimately it's only okay. It's way too long, too repetiive (how many times did those kids get captured?), and for all its wonder it sometimes feels like the most expensive Windows 98 screensaver ever made.

by Anonymousreply 110December 18, 2022 9:35 PM

[quote]Top Gun 2 had a modest opening, but has now made over $712 million domestic

What? Maverick had the biggest Memorial Day opening of all time— $127m.

by Anonymousreply 111December 18, 2022 9:47 PM

Grace Randolph believes the break even for the film is $1 billion, and not the $2 billion that James Cameron keeps mentioning in interviews.

She talks about it at 2:35

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112December 19, 2022 12:07 AM

Bump . Is it bombing or not ?

by Anonymousreply 113December 19, 2022 12:24 AM

Yes it opened at the low end of projections.

by Anonymousreply 114December 19, 2022 12:28 AM

[quote] Is it bombing or not ?

More data is needed to make a definitive determination, like Christmas and New Year's weeks of box office results.

by Anonymousreply 115December 19, 2022 1:14 AM

Bomb

by Anonymousreply 116December 19, 2022 2:28 AM

Even Aqua-Twink couldn't save this slop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117December 19, 2022 3:02 AM

Grace Randolph says it made 435 million its first weekend. Most people will only see it on premium 3d or Imax screens.

by Anonymousreply 118December 19, 2022 4:05 AM

I loved the movie.

by Anonymousreply 119December 19, 2022 4:10 AM

R118, lots of reports of empty and half-full IMAX audiences too.

by Anonymousreply 120December 19, 2022 4:33 AM

No way, that is incredible. Absolutely fucking unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 121December 19, 2022 4:48 AM

I went to a 10:30 am Cinemark XD showing. Three quarters full at most, probably less.

by Anonymousreply 122December 19, 2022 4:54 AM

I don't know what it is but the 1st one doesn't hold up to me. It has a coldness to it that I think isn't realized because of the grundbreaking visuals. Defintely not a bad film, it's just not great. I have no interest in seeing this film.

by Anonymousreply 123December 19, 2022 4:56 AM

Yes, ladyfriend. Best if you stick with the Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 124December 19, 2022 4:57 AM

It would be a hit if they'd do "The White Lotus: Pandora," and have Jennifer Coolidge (as Tanya McQuoid) stay on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 125December 19, 2022 5:03 AM

It opened lower than Top Gun-Maverick.

by Anonymousreply 126December 19, 2022 5:05 AM

I was pissed that this movie made coin. I think it will easily do 1.5 billion globally at minimum. Grace Randolph says it only needs to make a billion to break even contrary to what that fuckhead Jimmy says.

by Anonymousreply 127December 19, 2022 5:07 AM

I'm waiting for the porn version.

by Anonymousreply 128December 19, 2022 5:07 AM

I am actually not surprised. It’s a 3 hour cartoon and didn’t really even need to be made. People are broke, dealing with illness and getting through the holidays. Even the director came down with COVID-19 and had to miss the premiere.

by Anonymousreply 129December 19, 2022 5:09 AM

From Deadline. It is 82% ahead of Top Gun. It bested Tammy the Scientologist. What a shock!

It’s also estimated that the opening weekend for Avatar: The Way of Water is 82% ahead of Top Gun: Maverick, 78% ahead of the first Avatar, 42% ahead of Jurassic World: Dominion and 24% behind last year’s holiday release of Spider-Man: No Way Home.

by Anonymousreply 130December 19, 2022 5:09 AM

Didn't see the first one, and won't be seeing the rest. The only reason I WOULD, would be for Sigourney. But even that isn't enough.

by Anonymousreply 131December 19, 2022 5:10 AM

I thought TGM grossed $160 million opening weekend, but I may be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 132December 19, 2022 5:13 AM

Yes, gramps. You is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 133December 19, 2022 5:14 AM

Sigourney is in it 5 minutes and I have no clue who she's supposed to be playing. And Kate Winslet? Easily the most compelling alien but why did she say yes to this?

by Anonymousreply 134December 19, 2022 5:35 AM

Porn Version = Avatar: Tide of the Twink

by Anonymousreply 135December 19, 2022 6:04 AM

R134 Money and it was shot in New Zealand during COVID. Two very good reasons.

by Anonymousreply 136December 19, 2022 6:30 AM

Smurfs on Steroids 2.

by Anonymousreply 137December 19, 2022 7:11 AM

Suggested Porn Title = Avatar 2: Aqua-Twink and the Castro of Pandora!!.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138December 19, 2022 10:14 AM

It was mostly shot in LA and Manhattan Beach in Cameron’s purpose built tanks R136. Making this movie frankly sounds like torture, an absolutely miserable endurance test.

by Anonymousreply 139December 19, 2022 11:04 AM

I got a terrible headache after I saw the first one in 3D. So a no for me.

by Anonymousreply 140December 19, 2022 11:16 AM

[quote] Deadline says it’s because people are waiting to see it in the largest format theaters.

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 141December 19, 2022 11:24 AM

Also, they keep talking about IMAX prices as if that’s going to save it. The only reason the first Avatar made money (and also why Titanic made a fortune) was REPEAT VIEWINGS. It had very little to do with IMAX. People were going to see Avatar like six or seven times, sometimes ten times in a row. That’s not going to happen this time around. High IMAX ticket prices will not save this movie’s box office.

by Anonymousreply 142December 19, 2022 11:44 AM

Also despite the movie’s enormous runtime, it’s obvious huge chunks of it are missing. Still, I could easily imagine carving out least 30 minutes of it and having a better experience.

James Cameron is basically giving Norma Desmond at this point - “Cut away from the Navi? That’s what they came to SEE!”

by Anonymousreply 143December 19, 2022 11:49 AM

saw it yesterday and it was severely underwhelming. loved the first movie when it came out in 2009. but that one has not held on in public memory and I don't think this one will too...

by Anonymousreply 144December 19, 2022 12:08 PM

[quote]Grace Randolph believes the break even for the film is $1 billion, and not the $2 billion that James Cameron keeps mentioning in interviews.

How could she possibly know whether it's $1b or$2b or $1.5b or any other number. She's just going by rumors about costs and standard industry estimates for marketing without any actual knowledge of how much marketing cost. The rumors that it cost $436mm are wholly unsubstantiated who knows what has been capitalized for the 10+ years it's been in development, how much of the costs reflect this movie vs. the next one which was filmed at the same time or a host of other costs and expenses.

by Anonymousreply 145December 19, 2022 12:50 PM

With all this talk of money is even more reason to not see this film.

by Anonymousreply 146December 19, 2022 12:54 PM

Jimmy is full of fucking shit. I'd never believe any of his claims. He is as much of a hack as Jar Jar Abrams.

by Anonymousreply 147December 19, 2022 1:06 PM

[quote] No. 1 - there is an absolutely gorgeous brunette in some scenes with Edie Falco. I don’t think his character even had any lines but he was the loveliest visual in the new movie.

Yes, he shows up a few times. Stunning. They chose the cutest extra they could find and gave him that role.

by Anonymousreply 148December 19, 2022 1:45 PM

Can anyone find a picture of him to post?

by Anonymousreply 149December 19, 2022 1:45 PM

William cuts all contact with Harry, and has no plans ever to speak to him again: royal reporter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 19, 2022 5:00 PM

The combination of sanctimonious environmental activism and splatter shootouts (which is what audiences truly enjoy) is genuine American.

by Anonymousreply 151December 19, 2022 5:08 PM

Just saw it.

Myself and 4 other people for a premium 3D theater.

I didn't expect it to be full (Monday early afternoon) but I expected more than that.

The movie itself was fine. 3D has come a long way. He (Cameron) could have easily cut 45 minutes out. Lots of long tracking shots (which look cool), but add a lot of time.

by Anonymousreply 152December 19, 2022 10:29 PM

R150 What have William & Harry got to do with Avatar?

Do they make cameos or something?

by Anonymousreply 153December 20, 2022 3:59 AM

It's racism! White-privilege Midwesterners won't go see a movie about people of color, even if they're blue!

by Anonymousreply 154December 20, 2022 11:41 AM

Is it a flop?

by Anonymousreply 155December 20, 2022 4:48 PM

People are holding off saying it’s officially a flop and are being excessively obsequious with Cameron because he has a reputation for making movies with legs. So, we’ll see after this weekend when the drops come in. If they are low there might be some hope for him, but the chances of that are exceedingly small. To answer your question R155, yes, it most likely is a flop, a huge one.

by Anonymousreply 156December 20, 2022 4:53 PM

Who wants to see another 3 Avatar movies? The ending with the rescue was lame.

by Anonymousreply 157December 20, 2022 5:01 PM

It's not a flop, but it's not going to break records, either. I think after both Titanic and the first Avatar, we forget that it's possible for James Cameron to make a movie that is just a normal hit.

The other studios did do Cameron a favor by ceding the blockbuster space to him over the holidays. That'll help the movie have some legs, even though there won't be the repeat business that made his previous films the biggest of all time.

by Anonymousreply 158December 20, 2022 5:02 PM

Just realize there’s going to be a collective media push to keep this thing alive. Hollywood and Hwood journalists are treating this as if it’s some sort of referendum on moviegoing rather than it being a shitty movie, and given Covid there’s a real panic in entertainment that people will not come back to theaters even for an event director like Cameron. So, we’re going to see LOTS of think pieces about how we should all wait for a month or so before we declare it a flop despite the fact it’s showing every sign that is.

by Anonymousreply 159December 20, 2022 5:02 PM

Lol, see R158 above for exactly what I’m talking about. There’s going to be lots of nonsense like that to try to convince people it’s a success.

by Anonymousreply 160December 20, 2022 5:04 PM

It’s not a flop

by Anonymousreply 161December 20, 2022 6:40 PM

Plus, people just arent going to movies or theatre right now. Box office is down across the board

by Anonymousreply 162December 20, 2022 6:43 PM

If you think an analysis of Avatar's box office prospects that comes down to "sure, no one loves it, but it's the only blockbuster around when people like going to the movies so it'll still make money by default" is meant as some sort of PR spin meant to promote the theatrical experience, you're delusional, R159. That's practically an indictment of it!

Hollywood may want the story to be that Avatar is going to save cinemas, which is not true (besides, didn't Tom Cruise get there first?), but if you think that means The Way of Water is a flop when it's clearly going to make a lot of money, you're getting the story completely wrong, too. It's just your standard sequel that doesn't capture the public's imagination as well as the first but still does well.

by Anonymousreply 163December 20, 2022 6:45 PM

Is this the movie where the guy in the wheelchair enters some simulated reality and then somehow becomes that reality?

by Anonymousreply 164December 20, 2022 6:50 PM

Are people still going to movie theaters? Oh my, how quaint.

by Anonymousreply 165December 20, 2022 10:06 PM

Even Edie Falco figured it flopped!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166December 20, 2022 10:14 PM

The franchise was mishandled. Cameron should have had comics, cartoons and TV spinoffs and other material to keep the universe interesting and in public consciousness. Star Wars never left the public even after the prequels as there were cartoons, comics, books and video games. Disney rebooted the films but Lucas still produced a lot of material for the decade. Cameron can't fault the public for forgetting this franchise.

by Anonymousreply 167December 20, 2022 11:09 PM

It’s in deep shit internationally. China has deemed it inappropriate and that was after it had been underperforming. Without China, Avatar is dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168December 23, 2022 7:04 PM

I’m not going to post Daily Mail link here, but they’re saying it’s a lot worse than flopping for Disney whose stock has dropped 45%. They were hoping for Avatar to make up for the failures and flameouts and instead it’s making the situation worse. Here comes the world’s biggest write off.

by Anonymousreply 169December 23, 2022 7:07 PM

R169, ha ha ha

by Anonymousreply 170December 23, 2022 7:09 PM

R168 That is not a credible source, you fucking goof.

by Anonymousreply 171December 23, 2022 7:43 PM

It's holding up very well. It's easily going to earn 2 billion.

by Anonymousreply 172December 23, 2022 7:50 PM

Disney intern ^

by Anonymousreply 173December 23, 2022 8:00 PM

It will get no higher than 1.5 billion. Repeat viewers are not there. I mean normal people, not the geeks/nerds/fanboys who see shit 5 times.

by Anonymousreply 174December 23, 2022 8:08 PM

It’s not doing well . I’m not hearing many people talking about it

by Anonymousreply 175December 23, 2022 10:50 PM

R171 Is James Cameron.

by Anonymousreply 176December 23, 2022 11:09 PM

It's a massive flop.

by Anonymousreply 177December 23, 2022 11:56 PM

It seems to be doing ok internationally but yeah not that great domestically. It will probably end with 1.3-1.5B WW.

by Anonymousreply 178December 24, 2022 12:03 AM

Nope R178. It will not break a billion.

by Anonymousreply 179December 24, 2022 3:15 AM

r179 It already earned 700 million till yesterday. Unless a massive tsunami drowns the entire world, there's no way it's not earning at least 300 million in the next few days, to break a billion.

by Anonymousreply 180December 24, 2022 4:06 AM

Twist things however you want, given the years of production and expense it's a FLOP.

by Anonymousreply 181December 24, 2022 4:07 AM

R180, were you an investor?

by Anonymousreply 182December 24, 2022 4:21 AM

There are rumours that Disney are reporting fake inflated figures.

by Anonymousreply 183December 24, 2022 4:31 AM

It wouldn't be the first time.

by Anonymousreply 184December 24, 2022 5:06 AM

Lol R180. Nope.

by Anonymousreply 185December 24, 2022 6:26 PM

Updates ?

by Anonymousreply 186December 25, 2022 12:24 AM

It's a failure.

Why hate humans enough you have to make up a comic world to hold a stupid, shallow plot? Like Wakanda in the water.

Oh.

by Anonymousreply 187December 25, 2022 12:29 AM

Deadline.com

[quote] Christmas Box Office In Deep Freeze: Winter Weather Takes Toll On Ticket Sales With Most New Pics Off; ‘Avatar 2’ Eyes $82M 4-Day

On Sunday there will be many more box office assessments about the entire weekend.

by Anonymousreply 188December 25, 2022 2:22 AM

It’s pretty bleak now

by Anonymousreply 189December 25, 2022 2:30 AM

It looked like the film was going to regain momentum going into the holiday but the winter storm killed it. Enormous mistake by Disney. I know you can’t plan for weather, but you can anticipate.

by Anonymousreply 190December 25, 2022 1:01 PM

I wonder if Climate Change will have its first affect on the Hollywood business model with huge blockbusters no longer slated for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 191December 25, 2022 1:09 PM

R191, it’s winter 🥶 dumbass

by Anonymousreply 192December 25, 2022 1:11 PM

We didn’t have giant nation paralyzing winter storms around Christmastime a decade ago, rip van winkle.

by Anonymousreply 193December 25, 2022 2:24 PM

Worldwide it looks to be at 881 million (according to Box Office Mojo). After two weekends.

I assume that's decent? Even if it just makes around half that amount the rest of it's run that's almost 1.3-1.5 billion.

by Anonymousreply 194December 25, 2022 6:29 PM

$1.3 billion sounds about right. And with that gross, it's going to be the first movie to make a billion dollars yet still be considered a disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 195December 25, 2022 6:36 PM

I found some of the dialogue to be majorly cringey.

by Anonymousreply 196December 25, 2022 6:57 PM

[quote]Film Critic Ridiculed After Accusing ‘Avatar 2’ Of ‘Cultural Appropriation’

Mind you, the criticism is NOT that Cameron appropriated native American struggles or engaged in the usual white savior tropes.

No, the criticism is that white people were playing blue Nav'i.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197December 25, 2022 8:21 PM

R197, as far as I know, the only blue people are white.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198December 25, 2022 8:26 PM

There were blue Alaskan Inuits, too.

by Anonymousreply 199December 25, 2022 8:28 PM

Blue face - very wrong and not acceptable in these 'enlightened' days.

by Anonymousreply 200December 25, 2022 8:47 PM

That retarded thing in dreadlocks makes me want to punch his face.

by Anonymousreply 201December 25, 2022 8:57 PM

R193, well, take it up with Mother Nature you penis puss

by Anonymousreply 202December 25, 2022 11:41 PM

R173 - Unpaid intern at that.

by Anonymousreply 203December 26, 2022 1:29 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 204December 26, 2022 2:03 AM

This is flopping hard. Will probably send Disney to the wall.

by Anonymousreply 205December 26, 2022 7:10 AM

It has only made 881 million in 10 days. It's gone surely bankrupt Disney.

by Anonymousreply 206December 26, 2022 8:50 AM

Disney stocks are the worst drop since 1974 you know it all prick

by Anonymousreply 207December 26, 2022 8:53 AM

Its not flopping, it will clear 1 billion easily. But maybe not exceeding the high expectations set for it.

by Anonymousreply 208December 26, 2022 9:14 AM

R207 Read a grammar book, you fucking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 209December 26, 2022 9:15 AM

It flopped and word of mouth is not good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210December 26, 2022 9:17 AM

R209, you can see his ugly flames from the moon

by Anonymousreply 211December 26, 2022 9:18 AM

Who is this illiterate fucking cunt infesting the DL?

by Anonymousreply 212December 26, 2022 9:19 AM

Do people still go to the theatre? I don't know anyone who does.

by Anonymousreply 213December 26, 2022 9:20 AM

For most, psychotic assholes are usually pariahs.

by Anonymousreply 214December 26, 2022 9:22 AM

$800mil within 10 days is a flop???

by Anonymousreply 215December 26, 2022 9:50 AM

R215 It is a fucking lowlife maggot troll which DL is infested with. Nothing but these days.

by Anonymousreply 216December 26, 2022 9:54 AM

R216, can’t handle the truth ! Movie is doing poorly

by Anonymousreply 217December 26, 2022 10:03 AM

R217 Nope its not "doing poorly" The Way of Water has already passed Black Panther 2, Thor Love and Thunder and the Batman worldwide, after just ten days.

All but guarantees $1.1B+ overseas.

by Anonymousreply 218December 26, 2022 10:11 AM

Considering it has a few months left in theatres, it will easily get to 2 billion.

by Anonymousreply 219December 26, 2022 10:22 AM

☝🏼 if you say so

by Anonymousreply 220December 26, 2022 10:38 AM

I do say so, you illiterate fucking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 221December 26, 2022 10:39 AM

Why are you so raging ? Damm take a Xanax

by Anonymousreply 222December 26, 2022 10:43 AM

[quote]Considering it has a few months left in theatres, it will easily get to 2 billion.

I sincerely doubt both part of this statement.

by Anonymousreply 223December 26, 2022 1:16 PM

Covid in China can’t be helping

by Anonymousreply 224December 26, 2022 1:39 PM

[quote] It looked like the film was going to regain momentum going into the holiday

What part of Avatar speaks to Christmas? If anything it should have been a summer movie.

by Anonymousreply 225December 26, 2022 2:09 PM

R225 Like anyone gives a dry fuck what you think. ABOUT ANYTHING, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 226December 26, 2022 3:04 PM

Still a FLOP.

by Anonymousreply 227December 26, 2022 4:36 PM

Gurls, gurls, gurls - Avatar is irrelevant.

No one cares that is either is or is not a flop.

by Anonymousreply 228December 26, 2022 4:39 PM

R2228 is Rue Mclanahan. Ugliest girl in the history of ugly girls.

by Anonymousreply 229December 26, 2022 4:44 PM

Damm someone must have autism and or stock in Disney to be this relentless. It’s bombing !

by Anonymousreply 230December 26, 2022 4:48 PM

R206, it’s a shame people have to explain basic business to you. It cost between 350-450 million to make the movie. Adding in publicity and marketing, it needs to make three times that to make a profit, if you go by Hollywood economy. James Cameron himself acknowledged the break even point is 2 billion.

If you spend a hundred dollars on something that you charge $101.00 on, you only make one dollar profit. If this movie tops out at one billion dollars, it’ll still have lost a billion dollars for the studio.

by Anonymousreply 231December 26, 2022 5:13 PM

Here's an interesting article from Forbes regarding Avatar's profitability.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232December 26, 2022 5:28 PM

SPOILERS AHEAD

I watched Avatar 2 this afternoon. Some observations:

- The 3D is good, but it never wowed me This could have something to do with the next point...

- I wanted to see more of that Avatar magic, with glowing plants, funny creatures, responsive flowers, etc. I was also surprised the underwater world wasn't more glow-y and special.

- The movie is too long, far too long. 3,5h with no breaks!

- That whale-chasing scene in the middle? It almost didn't add anything to the story, and for that it ran an hour too long.

- They let the bad guy get away? Do we really need this one end-boss to come back in each and every movie?

- Whatever happened to the forest tribes? Did the Sky People attack them? Are they okay? Who cares, the Sully family left and that was that.

- Once again, the plot was rail thin, the twists steeped in clichés, the dialogues hammy. If it weren't for the visual stunners, this movie would have been so very mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 233December 26, 2022 8:33 PM

R231, movies make a profit even before they’re completed. They sell the movie rights to cable and sales in every countries. None of these movies are dependent solely on ticket sales

by Anonymousreply 234December 26, 2022 8:47 PM

I saw it. It was pleasant

by Anonymousreply 235December 26, 2022 8:47 PM

Not a very flattering review ☝🏼

by Anonymousreply 236December 27, 2022 1:41 AM

They need $2billion for this movie and the next one combined NOT for this movie alone. That Cameron quote is out of context.

Its not a flop, give it up already.

by Anonymousreply 237December 27, 2022 8:12 AM

R226 - Good Lord, you truly need psychological help. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 238December 27, 2022 11:50 AM

Just saw this. It SUCKED and was BORING as shit. The story was so lame, predictable and stereotypical and there were way too many unnecessary scenes that dragged the movie on for too long. There is no reason this movie should have been 3 hours they could have easily cut out a whole hour of this film.

I'll never watch another Avatar film as this movie solidified to me that I simply do not give a fuck about this "world" and the characters in it. I wouldn't have cared if the military guy just wiped out all the Na'vi and be done with it. I honestly found parts of this film cringeworthy.

This whole Avatar thing is not for me.

by Anonymousreply 239December 27, 2022 7:37 PM

$1.03b. Over Xmas weekend, it did another $45mm in the US.

While it's clearly not going to hit $2b, it seems like $1.3b is very doable and maybe even $1.5b.

by Anonymousreply 240December 29, 2022 12:03 AM

Looks like it will hit $2bn afterall. It’s at $1.89bn now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241January 16, 2023 12:26 PM

For this afternoon's showing in my local Epic XL theater, no seats are sold. Eeeks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242January 16, 2023 12:45 PM

I'm stunned that it's going to hit $2b.

Although solid in US domestic at $572mm, it's doing very well internationallyat $1.33b.

by Anonymousreply 243January 16, 2023 9:02 PM

I'll wait for the Disney musical version on Broadway

by Anonymousreply 244January 16, 2023 9:53 PM

It’s worth seeing

by Anonymousreply 245January 16, 2023 10:30 PM

The only reason I'd see it is to see it on IMAX, but like Hell I'm paying $25 for a matinee, a price which includes a 25% discount.

by Anonymousreply 246January 17, 2023 6:47 PM

Has there ever been a film like Avatar that was so huge at the box office but has so little cultural legacy? I remember enjoying it at the time but couldn't repeat a single line of dialogue and you never see memes from it. I think I'd even struggle to name any of the actors in it.

by Anonymousreply 247January 17, 2023 6:58 PM

[QUOTE] I think I'd even struggle to name any of the actors in it.

Isn’t James Cameron one of the actors?

by Anonymousreply 248January 17, 2023 7:08 PM

Puss n' Boots is beating this film.

by Anonymousreply 249January 17, 2023 7:09 PM

[quote]I think I'd even struggle to name any of the actors in it.

Well, to be fair, they spent the bulk of the movie as CGI characters with a few live action scenes mixed in.

by Anonymousreply 250January 17, 2023 7:11 PM

$2.05 billion, 5th on the all-time grossing list

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251January 27, 2023 2:09 PM

R251 we're ever so happy and relieved to hear this.

by Anonymousreply 252January 29, 2023 1:25 PM

I'm looking forward to torrenting it!

by Anonymousreply 253January 29, 2023 1:39 PM

I don’t know a single person who has gone to see this or has any interest in doing so.

by Anonymousreply 254January 29, 2023 1:51 PM

That's because there's only about 1M people worldwide who have each seen it 10 times.

The most horrifying aspect of all this: It got a fucking Oscar nom for best picture. WTF

by Anonymousreply 255January 30, 2023 11:34 AM

I laughed two weeks ago when my mom told me she was bored and going to the movies to see Black Panther 2 AGAIN. I was like, you don't want to see Avatar? She gave a resounding no.

I bring that up because that's the longest conversation I've had with anyone about this movie. It's giving straight to home viewing vibes so I'm not interesting in wasting my money. Saw the first one at home, was on ok version of Pocahontas. I'll wait to see this one as well.

by Anonymousreply 256January 30, 2023 12:03 PM

[QUOTE]The most horrifying aspect of all this: It got a fucking Oscar nom for best picture. WTF

Wow I thought you were kidding. Turns out this piece of shit and Top Gun Fucking Maverick are nominated for Best Picture? The fuck? Is Michael Bay head of the nomination committee now?

by Anonymousreply 257January 30, 2023 10:18 PM

Yes, it's ridiculous. I think years of horrible ratings have pushed the nominating committee to include mega-blockbuster fan favorites hoping people will tune in to see them lose. The majority of people don't want to see self-entitled celebrities pontificate or care much which obscure indie picture they never heard of wins. The result is we now get this. Somehow Jurassic Park: Dominion didn't make the list...

by Anonymousreply 258January 30, 2023 10:58 PM

Avatar 2 has finally surpassed Titanic this weekend. As much as I loathe the fucking blue assholes in Cameron's shitfest, good for him.

by Anonymousreply 259February 19, 2023 3:50 PM

I honestly don’t know anyone who has seen it

by Anonymousreply 260February 19, 2023 4:00 PM

R260 That is a discussion on bluray.com as the movie has made 2 billion + and no one knows anyone who has seen it.

by Anonymousreply 261February 19, 2023 4:02 PM

This film is popular over in dystopias, yes?

by Anonymousreply 262February 19, 2023 4:07 PM

r172 and r180 here

I feel vindicated. Eat your words, dumbasses at r173, r176, r179, r182, r185.

by Anonymousreply 263February 19, 2023 4:12 PM

R263 Good for you. I never saw it ever surpassing Titanic as it did this weekend. And Titanic is presently in re-release.

by Anonymousreply 264February 19, 2023 4:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!