Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Matt Taibbi Officially Crosses To Alt-Right

Matt Taibbi appears on Ben Shapiro show - and says conservativism is appealing to young people because there's no sense of humor on the political left. He goes on to praise Matt Walsh's transphobic hit piece "What Is A Woman" as a good example of political comedy

by Anonymousreply 115January 27, 2023 8:40 PM

You're insane and have no sense of nuance, OP. Zero, none, zip.

by Anonymousreply 1December 14, 2022 6:18 PM

He's telling the absolute truth and no one over 40 can handle it. Times have changed.

by Anonymousreply 2December 14, 2022 6:19 PM

Taibbi has always been SCUM.

But he’s right about the political left.

I have no idea how many young people are ‘crossing over’ to the political right themselves, but between the trans thing and the BLM debacles, yes I can see why people would come to view the left as humorless (as well as stupid and incapable of discussing and understanding complex issues).

by Anonymousreply 3December 14, 2022 6:20 PM

[quote]He's telling the absolute truth and no one over 40 can handle it. Times have changed.

Impossible to discern what you’re actually saying here.

by Anonymousreply 4December 14, 2022 6:22 PM

Yes, no one has their finger on the pulse of the younger generation's sense of humor than a 53 year-old bitter Substacker and a creepy incel who hawks brain pills.

by Anonymousreply 5December 14, 2022 6:23 PM

He has more interaction with normal young people than any of you do.

by Anonymousreply 6December 14, 2022 6:25 PM

Who knew there were so many Ben Shapiro fans on DL

by Anonymousreply 7December 14, 2022 6:29 PM

I couldn't care less about Shapiro, but I've been frustrated for by how cloistered and out of touch the gay community is. It's very alienating.

by Anonymousreply 8December 14, 2022 6:34 PM

R8 should say "for years."

by Anonymousreply 9December 14, 2022 6:36 PM

Not a Shapiro fan, R7.

by Anonymousreply 10December 14, 2022 6:37 PM

Christ, are we to deal with another wave of insufferable yuppies then?

by Anonymousreply 11December 14, 2022 6:38 PM

I subscribed to his substance for 6 months but cancelled because he started out being an independent journalist but realized his audience was disgruntled Trumpers and he began appealing to them.

by Anonymousreply 12December 14, 2022 6:39 PM

Well, will they be more or less insufferable as yuppies than they would be as moronic, green-haired, non-binary perpetual victims?

by Anonymousreply 13December 14, 2022 6:39 PM

Oh barrrrffff. The only "young people" Taibbi has anything to do with are brown-nosing, careerist conservative "journalists."

It's so obvious he's bitter about the "Me Too" slap he got, that he's abandoned the entire first half of his career to cater to angry Fox grandpas (like the angry Fox grandpas on this thread).

by Anonymousreply 14December 14, 2022 6:55 PM

[quote] Yes, no one has their finger on the pulse of the younger generation's sense... (blah blah blah)

Believe it or not, no one give a flying fuck about the younger generation' thinking because it won't stay the same in another year.

by Anonymousreply 15December 14, 2022 6:58 PM

Clearly Taibbi does or he wouldn't have mentioned it in his interview with the teensy, dickless twerp.

by Anonymousreply 16December 14, 2022 7:00 PM

Here's a clip for the non-cognoscenti, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 14, 2022 7:07 PM

*that is an example of Funny Conservatives?

Ok.....

by Anonymousreply 18December 14, 2022 7:15 PM

[quote]Matt Taibbi appears on Ben Shapiro show - and says conservativism is appealing to young people

Yes, so "appealing" that younger people/voters helped deliver historic midterm wins for....Pres. Biden.

by Anonymousreply 19December 14, 2022 7:27 PM

[quote] there's no sense of humor on the political left

Where is that humor? I'm looking for it.

by Anonymousreply 20December 14, 2022 7:29 PM

OP, do you know what the alt-right even is?

Ben Shapiro may be far-right, but he’s not alt-right.

by Anonymousreply 21December 14, 2022 7:35 PM

"Alt-right" doesn't exist any more. It's just "right."

by Anonymousreply 22December 14, 2022 7:42 PM

R21 OP doesn't even understand the difference between R and L. He has no sense of nuance whatsoever.

The clip at R17 clearly shows that Taibbi is not even a conservative but don't try to explain that to children who can't see that there's a grey area in every aspect of life. They still haven't matured enough to understand.

by Anonymousreply 23December 14, 2022 7:44 PM

That clip at R17.

4.00 He tells how he got cancelled at Rolling Stone.

8.00 They talk about the distrust from both sides.

by Anonymousreply 24December 14, 2022 7:45 PM

Matt Taibbi looks like someone drew a face on a glans.

by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2022 7:48 PM

If you spend all your time ripping the guts out of everyone on the Left, it's sort of hard to believe when you say you're not on the Right.

by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2022 7:50 PM

What exactly is conservatism nowadays--racist, sexist, homophobic crap. That's it.

And no, young people aren't rushing to the right. Of anything, even Evangelical youth are veering more left

by Anonymousreply 27December 14, 2022 7:51 PM

Where are all those Hunter Biden secrets that were being revealed?

by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2022 7:51 PM

Damn, Matt's looking more Alt-White the older he gets.

by Anonymousreply 29December 14, 2022 7:53 PM

[quote]He goes on to praise Matt Walsh's transphobic hit piece "What Is A Woman" as a good example of political comedy

All the repugs to the highest level, took that shit seriously.

by Anonymousreply 30December 14, 2022 7:55 PM

[quote] Alt-White

What is that, R29? What do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 31December 14, 2022 7:56 PM

[quote] If you spend all your time ripping the guts out of everyone on the Left

Ripping the guts??? This is what I mean when I say NO SENSE OF NUANCE. "Ripping the guts"!

by Anonymousreply 32December 14, 2022 8:01 PM

R26 …ripping the guts out of everyone on the Left

Are you referring to that Rolling Stone article he mentions in R17?

by Anonymousreply 33December 14, 2022 8:17 PM

Today's Media Makes Us Despise One Another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 14, 2022 8:19 PM

R31, DL calls it "white adjacent"

by Anonymousreply 35December 14, 2022 8:22 PM

[quote]and says conservativism is appealing to young people because there's no sense of humor on the political left.

There's so much about this that's genuinely absurd, but mostly I'm hung up on the question of what passes for humor on the political right. Besides Babylon Bee articles and the dank (stolen) memes Elon Musk shares.

by Anonymousreply 36December 14, 2022 8:25 PM

Choosing fascism for the LOLs

by Anonymousreply 37December 14, 2022 8:35 PM

R37 you beat me to it. No one is choosing a political direction because of the lolz (or lack of them).

Taibbi is just one of hundreds of right wing agent provocateurs stirring the pot to earn some coin.

by Anonymousreply 38December 14, 2022 8:37 PM

[quote] what passes for humor on the political right

So where are the funny examples of humor on the political left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 14, 2022 8:38 PM

[quote] He's telling the absolute truth

He's telling HIS absolute truth, and that's what matters!

by Anonymousreply 40December 14, 2022 8:38 PM

As a “young person,” the things the right considers humorous are the most Boomer shit on earth. How many times can you make the same tired joke about pronouns?

by Anonymousreply 41December 14, 2022 8:41 PM

Pronouns are inherently ridiculous and easy to ridicule.

Why are the pronouns-bearers so INSANE and manic?

by Anonymousreply 42December 14, 2022 8:57 PM

Every human being bears pronouns, you fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 43December 14, 2022 9:05 PM

[quote] Ben Shapiro may be far-right, but he’s not alt-right.

says the president of the Ben Shapiro fan club

by Anonymousreply 44December 14, 2022 9:27 PM

From NY Times

Once a major voice of the political left, Mr. Taibbi rose to prominence by presenting himself as an unencumbered truth teller. His commentary about former President Donald J. Trump diverged from the views of many Democrats — for instance, he was skeptical of claims of collusion between Russia and Mr. Trump’s campaign — and his fan base shifted.

That Elon Musk is a fan of Mr. Taibbi, who left Rolling Stone to start a newsletter on Substack, is no big surprise; Mr. Musk often hails the virtues of citizen journalism. On Saturday, in a live audio session on Twitter, Mr. Musk said he was disappointed that more mainstream media outlets had not picked up Mr. Taibbi’s reporting.

The commotion has also generated some odd bedfellows. Mr. Taibbi once compared former President George W. Bush to a “donkey.” On Sunday, his reporting was defended by the House Republican leader, Representative Kevin McCarthy, during an interview on Fox News. “They’re trying to discredit a person for telling the truth,” Mr. McCarthy said of Mr. Musk.

by Anonymousreply 45December 14, 2022 9:41 PM

People noticed his rapey memoirs and scolded him about it so his perfectly natural response is to go scorched earth and join The Party of Rape. Fuck this rapidly widening asshole

by Anonymousreply 46December 14, 2022 9:42 PM

After all his years in bleak Russia, did he pick up a little more than a nasty heroin habit? I didn't think he was so far gone as to become a useful idiot, but when Glenn Greenwald comes to his defense...

R13 is spot on.

[QUOTE]his Substack newsletter, TK News, is one of the most popular on the site, boasting more than 30,000 paying subscribers. Which means, at $50 a pop, he easily can clear $1 million annually, making him a member of the one percent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 14, 2022 9:44 PM

[quote]Every human being bears pronouns, you fucking moron.

You know exactly what that DLer was talking about, so don’t be disingenuous. You fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 48December 14, 2022 9:45 PM

[quote] Which means, at $50 a pop, he easily can clear $1 million annually, making him a member of the one percent.

Which means Taibbi is in this for the MONEY. Writing what these right-wingers want to read

It is way more lucrative to make money touting right-wing ideology than left-wing

by Anonymousreply 50December 14, 2022 9:46 PM

Taibbi along with Greenwald always denied Russia’s involvement in the 2016 US presidential election and more specifically the Trump campaign’s connections to Russia. For that reason alone, I will always loathe him.

But he is correct about the current American political Left having no sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 51December 14, 2022 9:49 PM

Correction: r47 was meant for r12, not r13.

by Anonymousreply 52December 14, 2022 9:53 PM

R12 here, substance should be substack. Taibbi did come from the position of being critically of both left and right media. However, his subscribers appear to be angry Trump followers. I have no love for mainstream medai but am also not a fan of Fox News and other rightwing media sources. Trump is a dumspter fire and hopefully people will wake up to what an asshole he is.

by Anonymousreply 53December 14, 2022 9:53 PM

[quote]Which means Taibbi is in this for the MONEY. Writing what these right-wingers want to read

He also had a privileged upbringing, which is common among his new alt-right circle jerk buddies.

by Anonymousreply 54December 14, 2022 9:53 PM

R54 and OP are producing propaganda which is about all the far left does. His father was a local news reporter, maybe middle class but not privileged. Trans radicals and their allies do nothing but lie and distort.

by Anonymousreply 55December 14, 2022 9:57 PM

Matt's father is Mike Taibbi, a lawyer turned reporter who later spent many years at NBC News. Matt attended a prep school, followed by NYU, which he left for Bard. He was not a struggling street urchin.

by Anonymousreply 56December 14, 2022 10:00 PM

Those who are defending Taibbi on this thread

are probably those who have white privilege - so they identify with Taibbi and his whiteness

by Anonymousreply 57December 14, 2022 10:02 PM

Taibbi’s father was half Asian, adopted in this country. Matt is mixed race, his wife is Asian and he has Asian sons. He’s mixed race, as am I. I could tell that the first photo I saw of him. So fuck off racist @R57.

by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2022 10:05 PM

R40 get the fuck out of here

by Anonymousreply 59December 14, 2022 10:08 PM

There is plenty of distance between street urchin and privileged. That distance is called the middle class.

by Anonymousreply 60December 14, 2022 10:08 PM

R58, he looks white and probably didn't suffer much racism. Not that any racism is good. But don't act like he looks like Jackie Chan

by Anonymousreply 61December 14, 2022 10:09 PM

R58 I was talking about white people like you

NOT Taibbi

by Anonymousreply 62December 14, 2022 10:09 PM

Right, I guess that's why Republicans are the ones actually engaging in censorship and snitchlines to get people fired, because young people like being told they can't read certain books or be taught fact-based history. Funny how an ideology that claims to believe in free speech, seems to ignore the actual legislative efforts exclusively coming from the right. They also ignore trump using the govt to go after his perceived enemies. Used the IRS to go after Comey and McCabe. Used DOJ as his own personal law firm. Couldn't even handle jokes from SNL and tried to go after them. These same fuckers wanted Kathy Griffin arrested over a fake head.

I'm assuming R4 is quoting R2 since I already had that moron on ignore.

You fuckers are fascist swine who can't actually handle being challenged. You can;t even fucking take jokes, but you want to threaten to assassin people or ridicule an old man being attacked in his own home. MTG called the capitol police on Jimmy Kimmel over jokes. The right-wing is comprised of hyper-sensitive, hypocritical douchebags. Ben Shapiro walked off an interview because the little gnome couldn't take it.

by Anonymousreply 63December 14, 2022 10:10 PM

Taibbi...another nepotism shithead.

by Anonymousreply 64December 14, 2022 10:11 PM

assassinate*

by Anonymousreply 65December 14, 2022 10:12 PM

R27, don’t forget lowering taxes, less regulations, less red tape, less government overreach, etc

by Anonymousreply 66December 14, 2022 10:25 PM

Look up "horseshoe theory" and get back to us.

Glenn Greenwald, Taibbi, the Young Turks. Holier than thou lefties who inevitably wind up siding with Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 67December 14, 2022 10:38 PM

[Quote] for instance, he was skeptical of claims of collusion between Russia and Mr. Trump’s campaign — and his fan base shifted.

And yet, the Senate Report said that there was plainly collusion.

by Anonymousreply 68December 14, 2022 10:43 PM

[quote]His father was a local news reporter, maybe middle class but not privileged.

I don't know if you're a liar or you just don't know anything about him, but either way, you are wrong

by Anonymousreply 69December 14, 2022 10:51 PM

I love how the Nazi dummies in the world believe the obvious lie that there is a popular left-wing media in this country. There simply isn't. Unless you define "left" as "Skeptical of guns" and "ok with gay people, sorta"

by Anonymousreply 70December 15, 2022 1:47 PM

I'd like someone to point to anyone in "liberal" media being the let-wing version of Tucker Carlson or Laura Ingraham...WITH actual examples. For example: Tucker Carlson is a fan of that cockroach Orban. He also talks about "replacement theory." Point to a Rachel Maddow or Joy Reid or Chris Hayes doing some segment similar to that. The only person who seems to have said something offensive about deplorable snowflakes didn't even do it on her show and she's now gone - Tiffany Cross (she should've been gone over that fucking voice).

by Anonymousreply 71December 15, 2022 2:36 PM

BTW, you notice the right-wing shits who obsess over "free speech" (that they don't even understand) and "cancel culture," didn't defend Cross' right to "free speech"?

by Anonymousreply 72December 15, 2022 2:37 PM

Of course not. Because, to them, the rights on the Constitution are only for people like them (i.e. white reactionary Christians). Anyone else isn't *really an American and thus doesn't have any rights they need to respect.

by Anonymousreply 73December 15, 2022 2:52 PM

It must very hard to be a media darling 10 -15 years ago and no one knows your name

by Anonymousreply 74December 15, 2022 3:22 PM

He's followed the same sort-of trajectory of Milky Loads - centrist-to-lib in the 00's to a crypto-Nazi today.

by Anonymousreply 75December 15, 2022 5:40 PM

How is it possible that I have the last 6 responses in this thread blocked? I wonder what those posts say.

by Anonymousreply 76December 16, 2022 3:37 AM

I'm one of the people this idiot/R76 has blocked and I can guess why since the asshole is also R2.

What a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 77December 16, 2022 4:02 AM

Sorry, I mean he's r3, not R2

by Anonymousreply 78December 16, 2022 4:03 AM

Matt Taibbi has unfortunately turned into a deplorable cunt because he got busted in the Me Too thing. Someday his hanging around with the Shapiro scumbag will be another badge of deep shame for him.

Matt used to be a decent journalist and I knew his father, Mike, a hundred years ago - always a good guy. He must be so embarrassed by his son now.

by Anonymousreply 79December 16, 2022 4:11 AM

OP is right. It's beyond obviously true.

by Anonymousreply 80December 16, 2022 4:13 AM

[quote]It's beyond obviously true.

Except that Biden and the Dems have found electoral success based on a massive plurality in the youth vote.

So fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 81December 16, 2022 1:08 PM

R81 ...

This part is true "Matt Taibbi Officially Crosses To Alt-Right," not the nonsense that dribbles out of Taibbi's pie hole.

by Anonymousreply 82December 16, 2022 1:21 PM

Conservative commentator Douglas Murray and Matt Taibbi teamed up in a debate where they said you CANNOT trust the mainstream media

by Anonymousreply 83December 17, 2022 12:28 AM

Matt Taibbi - why you CANNOT trust the news anymore

“I grew up in the press. My father was a reporter. My stepmother was a reporter. My godparents were reporters. Every adult I knew growing up seemed to be in media. I love the news business. It’s in my bones. But I mourn for it. It’s destroyed itself.”

by Anonymousreply 84December 17, 2022 12:30 AM

Another Trumptard thread. Oh joy.

by Anonymousreply 85December 17, 2022 12:36 AM

R85 there are DLers who still insist that Taibbi is NO Trumper

by Anonymousreply 86December 17, 2022 12:37 AM

"Right, I guess that's why Republicans are the ones actually engaging in censorship and snitchlines to get people fired, because young people like being told they can't read certain books or be taught fact-based history."

Trans activists mimic Republicans perfectly. Their efforts got Lesbian professor Kathleen Stock fired for stating biological sex is real.

by Anonymousreply 87December 17, 2022 12:56 AM

Except that is not analogous to what I wrote. I get it, you people have no way of actually defending your position, so you're tantamount to flinging feces like a monkey.

I'll go slower for you, R87: Point to a single Democratic governor or a single Democratic legislature who/that has enacted a law whereby you get FIRED for something like teaching history or punished for using you 1A the way DeSantis has abused his power in Fl or Youngkin has in VA.

Name them. An "activist" is not the same as government abuse of power.

by Anonymousreply 88December 17, 2022 2:25 AM

your* 1A

by Anonymousreply 89December 17, 2022 2:25 AM

Is this your one (wo)man show, R87. We're bored. You need to workshop new material wherever you right wing trolls congregate.

by Anonymousreply 90December 17, 2022 2:27 AM

He's being subsidized by Elon Musk, which is telling. And both he and Glenn Greenwald have turned into right wing cranks. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 91December 17, 2022 3:23 AM

Listen carefully,, r87. I'm making a very specific point that trans activists - particularly in the UK, I should add - use the same tactics as Republicans to censor, harass and fire its critics. I'm not saying that Democrats engage similarly.

by Anonymousreply 92December 17, 2022 3:30 AM

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuckity fuck!

by Anonymousreply 93December 17, 2022 3:37 AM

It's so funny how LITERALLY EVERY THREAD on the DL becomes swarmed by people like R92 - paranoid assholes who just want to make "one specific point about trans activists" in the UK.

We get it - they can be mean on Twitter. But you know who really has power? Not them.

by Anonymousreply 94December 17, 2022 12:56 PM

Shapiro has lots of contact with young people, since debating college students seems to be his thing.

Goodness he's quite the pretentious little shit, it's really scary that he's reproduced.

by Anonymousreply 95January 25, 2023 12:07 PM

R94, you clearly do not work in education.

by Anonymousreply 96January 25, 2023 12:16 PM

I used to subscribe because I liked his attacks on the media hivemind. However, he has crossed over to the dark side. I’m still glad he’s around to do his thing because both sides can be extreme. However he needs to focus his fire more on the insanity of the right and prove he’s truly independent.

by Anonymousreply 97January 25, 2023 12:22 PM

Hmmm how did the youth vote in the last election? Hint: not conservative!

by Anonymousreply 98January 25, 2023 12:24 PM

[quote]... conservativism is appealing to young people because there's no sense of humor on the political left...

Exactly. It goes like this I 'm assuming...

-- I was pro-choice but the political left has no sense of humor - So now, as far as I'm concerned, Abortion-Is-Murder

-- I was pro union and workers rights but the political left has no sense of humor - So now I hate unions and think workers should never complain.

-- I supported having a system of strong social safety nets for my fellow people but the political left has no sense of humor - So now I think food stamps and Medicaid are terrible.

-- I used to think corporations and the wealthy should pay tax similar to average working people (if not more) but the political left has no sense of humor - So now I believe corporations and the wealthy should have free reign.

-- I was for gay-equality but the political left has no sense of humor - So now I support "don't say gay" bills and book banning.

Is that how Matt sees it going? Well, thanks for pointing out the very-totally-real thing that happens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99January 26, 2023 12:39 PM

Yeah, the left has no sense of humor! That's why the right has all the great comedians! Like - uh - I don't know - uh - Dennis Miller?

by Anonymousreply 100January 26, 2023 1:40 PM

The Right cannot even commit to democracy. Humor is a pretty tall order for fascists.

by Anonymousreply 101January 26, 2023 7:37 PM

I still recall when trolls would link a Matt Taibbi article as an example of a supposed 'liberal' who agreed with whatever talking point they were pushing. I never bought that he was anything but right wing.

by Anonymousreply 102January 26, 2023 10:03 PM

He’s correct.

by Anonymousreply 103January 26, 2023 10:19 PM

[quote] Yeah, the left has no sense of humor! That's why the right has all the great comedians! Like - uh - I don't know - uh - Dennis Miller?

That’s not what he’s saying. The Left is killing comedy with its woke bullshit. No one can say anything without risking firing or a mob.

by Anonymousreply 104January 26, 2023 10:20 PM

The Left is killing its own.

by Anonymousreply 105January 26, 2023 10:21 PM

Nobody becomes a right-winger because the left lacks humor. Give me a fucking break. These are just white boys who are sick of pretending they don't think they're above everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 106January 26, 2023 10:32 PM

If you like schoolyard comedy, sure.

by Anonymousreply 107January 26, 2023 10:33 PM

A perceived lack of humor on the left, while at times may be true, is still a really horrible reason to cross over to the alt right.

Terrible, terrible judgment. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 108January 26, 2023 10:34 PM

[quote] Nobody becomes a right-winger because the left lacks humor. Give me a fucking break. These are just white boys who are sick of pretending they don't think they're above everyone else.

How idiotic. No, R106, people are moving away from the Left because they're sick of simpletons like you who reduce every argument to "every White boy is a Nazi".

by Anonymousreply 109January 26, 2023 10:40 PM

[quote] Ugh.

So thoroughly deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 110January 26, 2023 10:47 PM

Ahh yes. His hilarious stories of raping underaged Russian girls. So funny!

by Anonymousreply 111January 26, 2023 11:29 PM

R1 is Glenn Greenwald. So many gay men worship right wingers who would slit their throat in a minute. You’re disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 112January 26, 2023 11:33 PM

Oh and Taibbi did it for the money. The same as Greenwald. If you think they have any sort of ‘political ideology’ you are delusional.

by Anonymousreply 113January 26, 2023 11:35 PM

The only thing more astounding than the number of fascists on this thread is their delusional belief that they actually have a sense of humor. Lol & Smfh.

by Anonymousreply 114January 27, 2023 8:38 PM

Miss Taibbi looks like a mongoloid these days.

by Anonymousreply 115January 27, 2023 8:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!