Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actors who inexplicably got overlooked for awards

Coming from the "Mulholland Drive" thread where people discussed how Naomi Watts was ignored for an Oscar nomination, what other performances are so revered in hindsight it's incredible they were shut out?

I'd say Uma Thurman for Kill Bill in 2003, not the strongest year for this category.

They actually nominated:

Keisha Castle Hughes (Whale Rider)

Naomi Watts (21 Grams)

Samantha Morton (In America)

Charlize Theron (Monster)

Diane Keaton (Something's Gotta Give) WTF?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 8, 2023 2:38 AM

They got overlooked because their campaigns weren't strong enough. If you want to get a nomination, and even more so - win the award, your campaign has to be strong.

by Anonymousreply 1December 14, 2022 2:51 PM

they're all gurls, why didn't you say actresses?

by Anonymousreply 2December 14, 2022 3:02 PM

Sigourney Weaver for THE ICE STORM. She won the BAFTA for supporting actress but no Oscar nod.

1998 Supporting Actress nominees:

Kim Basinger - L.A. CONFIDENTIAL (much undeserved winner) Joan Cusack - IN AND OUT Minnie Driver - GOOD WILL HUNTING Julianne Moore - BOOGIE NIGHTS Gloria Stuart - TITANIC

Weaver was much more deserving than Stuart.

by Anonymousreply 3December 14, 2022 3:02 PM

ANY actor who graduated from Howard University.

by Anonymousreply 4December 14, 2022 3:12 PM

R1, very true. And sometimes you must give up the pussy.

by Anonymousreply 5December 14, 2022 3:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 14, 2022 3:22 PM

[quote] Charlize Theron (Monster)

Um, Theron won the Best Actress Oscar for Monster

by Anonymousreply 7December 14, 2022 3:23 PM

R3 totally agree. Driver rode the Good Will Hunting coattails too, I remember nothing of her performance while Williams and Damon were standouts.

Sig was also overlooked for "Map Of The World"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 14, 2022 3:51 PM

R7 that's why I listed her as one of the 5 nominees. One of the best wins of the last 20 years

by Anonymousreply 9December 14, 2022 3:52 PM

R2 because people might also want to talk about actors as well.

by Anonymousreply 10December 14, 2022 3:53 PM

[quote]Diane Keaton (Something's Gotta Give) WTF?

What do you mean WTF? Only Theron and Keaton deserved to be on that list. Diane was fantastic and her nomination was particularity sweet as the Academy usually shits on comedic performances.

by Anonymousreply 11December 14, 2022 4:07 PM

Isabelle Huppert should have won the Oscar for Elle instead of Emma Stone, who basically played herself in La La Land

by Anonymousreply 12December 14, 2022 4:07 PM

R11 I disagree, Keaton played an enjoyable version of herself in SGTG but was embarrassingly bad in parts of it. I do agree there are many genius comedic performances which have been "shit on" but this was not one of them.

I happen to think Keaton was one of the best back when she challenged herself.

The scene below is awful but I put the (did)credit on Nancy Meyers for her lousy direction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 14, 2022 4:33 PM

Six pins Dolores, you know that's the way I like it..

by Anonymousreply 14December 14, 2022 4:36 PM

Daniel Day Lewis for Nine

by Anonymousreply 15December 15, 2022 7:19 AM

R13 That entire movie was just awful. Nicholson did fine in a very-unchallenging role but Keaton was just over-the-top obnoxious and hammy. And I love Keaton as an actress. Her early films were amazing work and accolades were well-deserved. But around this time she started doing a lot of weird older-female empowerment roles (Hanging Up, among several others) that showcased her as a wealthy nut job who's kinda ditzy but still super successful and down-to-earth. I don't blame her for not wanting to take on challenging characters, but she makes me cringe with this stock comedic sexy rich old lady crapfest.

by Anonymousreply 16December 15, 2022 9:00 AM

You must be joking, R15.

by Anonymousreply 17December 15, 2022 7:19 PM

[quote]I disagree, Keaton played an enjoyable version of herself in SGTG but was embarrassingly bad in parts of it.

Well The Academy, The Golden Globes (winner), SAG, and National Board of Review (winner) all disagree with you.

by Anonymousreply 18December 15, 2022 7:49 PM

"In America" was sappy and formulaic. I guess that's why it got a few nominations.

by Anonymousreply 19December 15, 2022 8:01 PM

I keep Something's Gotta Give on my DVR. Whenever I can't fall asleep I play it. As soon as Amanda Peet (possibly the unsexiest actress out there) starts acting cute and sexy with Nicholson (within the first ten minutes) I just think, "they have to be kidding." I roll over and fall to sleep almost immediately.

by Anonymousreply 20December 15, 2022 9:22 PM

I agree about Weaver and The Ice Storm: she at least deserved a nomination. Brilliant movie.

But Theron was always going to win as 1. Beautiful woman goes fully feral, and 2. She was quite convincing.

by Anonymousreply 21December 15, 2022 10:12 PM

I always felt Kidman was Oscar nod worthy for To Die For.

by Anonymousreply 22December 15, 2022 10:17 PM

R12 Also, had Huppert won instead of Emma Stone, there never would have been a Best Picture mix up between Moonlight and La La Land.

by Anonymousreply 23December 15, 2022 10:48 PM

"Sig was also overlooked for "Map Of The World"

Very few people saw that film as it got scant distribution, in spite of being produced by Frank and Kathleen Kennedy. The first half of the film is quite good and Weaver is excellent, but the second half is less successful, mostly due to mediocre direction and some bad scripting, which undermines Weaver's performance. The director was Scott Elliott, a theater director whose work is, at best, uneven. I don't think he ever directed another film.

One nice thing about"Map" is that you also get to see a lot of David Strathairn's lean, muscular body. I hadn't realized how hot he was at that point in his career until I saw this film. Plus Julianne Moore does some fine work as well.

by Anonymousreply 24December 16, 2022 2:13 PM

R23 never thought of that!

by Anonymousreply 25December 16, 2022 2:24 PM

I was going to say Sean Penn for 21 Grams but then he got nominated and won for Mystic River. I guess you aren't allowed two nominations.

by Anonymousreply 26June 1, 2023 1:02 PM

Naomi's performance in MD was what I call 'stylized'. She is artificially perky 'n chirpy because (spoiler alert) it's all a hallucinatiry dream. Yeah, it's entertaining- but probably too confusing for Academy voters.

by Anonymousreply 27June 1, 2023 1:23 PM

Ralph Finnes for the Grand Budapest Hotel. It got nominated for everything but his brilliant performance was somehow not included.

by Anonymousreply 28June 1, 2023 1:33 PM

Another vote for the fabulous Judy Parfitt as Vera Charles in DOLORES CLAIBORNE, and Kathy Bates too. I think Bates is better in this than in MISERY.

by Anonymousreply 29June 1, 2023 1:41 PM

[quote]Another vote for the fabulous Judy Parfitt as Vera Charles in DOLORES CLAIBORNE, and Kathy Bates too. I think Bates is better in this than in MISERY

And we have a BINGO! Ladies and Gentlemen.

by Anonymousreply 30June 7, 2023 10:41 PM

R24. Meryl Streep was originally sought for Weaver’s role. Streep would have brought out more of the character’s complexities and nuances.

by Anonymousreply 31June 8, 2023 12:37 AM

Rebecca Hall in "Christine" (the Christine Chubbuck story, not the Stephen King car movie). She was astonishing and won many film critics' awards for Best Actress, then got totally snubbed at the Golden Globes and Oscars.

I was really surprised later to find out she's British and quite pretty in real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 8, 2023 2:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!