Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What has been your experience with Canadians?

I live in Germany and every Canadian I’ve met has been…off. The only shared trait is they tend to be aloof and disingenuous. However, the women have been somewhat cunty and the men…strange. In any social situation they’re uninteresting, not fun, and usually passive aggressive.

It’s disappointing. I always thought Canadians were supposed to be nicer versions of Americans, but personal experience has proven otherwise. Friends have enjoyed their travels to Canada, so maybe a certain type of Canadian moves abroad.

Still, I’m curious if Canadians are generally (not necessarily uniformly) a boring and bitter people.

by Anonymousreply 139December 15, 2022 9:06 PM

Canadians are polite, not “nice.”

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2022 7:38 PM

Yes, we are a boring and bitter people but most Canadians deny this.

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2022 7:39 PM

Canadians are like Half-Castes.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2022 7:41 PM

FAGS.

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2022 7:44 PM

I once went on one of those unlimited train tickets around Europe things - and it was quite a social thing. You'd meet people on the trains. Link up. Full of Canadians and Americans (I'm English). The Americans were [bold]much more fun and friendly.[/bold] The Canadians were withdrawn in comparison. Rather dreary. Though I am keen to visit Montreal some day.

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2022 7:46 PM

[quote] Still, I’m curious if Canadians are generally (not necessarily uniformly) a boring and bitter people.

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2022 7:49 PM

It's because Canada has an inferiority complex and no national identity. They understandably have a chip on their shoulder and are desperate to find one, all the while pretending that are above it all - and that they're superior to Americans. Quebecois are different, but Anglo-Canadians are creepy af...like an AI version of what a computer thinks humans are "supposed" to be...or like the facsimile humans that the planet Solaris would make based on the astronauts' memories...something is definitely off. Idk...it's not even a real country, and it's criminally boring. Every time I've visited, they are really polite. Just...android-ish. Any other Anglophone country, the people are a blast to party with: Ireland, Scotland, NZ, AUS - but ugh. Candians.

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2022 8:35 PM

because germans are the toast of the party. Please, bitch, choke on your wurtz and fucking dye, and take your nazi grandparents with you

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2022 8:40 PM

Translating R8:

because = Because

germans = Germans

wurtz = wurst (sausage)

dye = die

nazi = Nazi

you = you.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2022 8:49 PM

They talk about "North America" all the time - the Americans never do, they don't give a tinker's gob about Canada.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2022 8:52 PM

R7 is on the money. They have no real culture of their own, either. Most of their TV is watered down cop/medical shit done way better in the US. American, British and French culture dominate.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2022 8:53 PM

Thks R9 my meds haven't kicked in yet,, I can barely type my outrage. that cunt got my meaning alright. Hate to Krauts, now and forever, a good Kraut is a dead Kraut

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2022 8:58 PM

R7 Are you sure it isn't the US that has the massive inferiority complex disguised as a superiority complex?

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2022 9:03 PM

They are Passive aggressive. You hit that on the nail.

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2022 9:09 PM

[quote]Are you sure it isn't the US that has the massive inferiority complex disguised as a superiority complex?

Only when it comes to England.

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2022 9:12 PM

Canadian men are hot.

by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2022 9:24 PM

I’m Anglo-Canadian and we definitely chatter a lot among ourselves about how much better, saner and more evolved we are than Americans, while spending all of our time watching American entertainment and news coverage. Maybe it’s because we all have to row together to make it through our winters, but Anglo-Canadians are very big on social cohesion, so we tend towards a “we’re all nice people here” politeness that serves a sort of insurance policy premium in social situations. We tend to be reflexively disapproving in a sort of thin-lipped Scottish way of anybody that could be deemed flashy, obnoxious or arrogant (so basically all Texans, R7.) Outside of the maritimes, we don’t have a reputation for easy personal hospitality - most Canadians would be genuinely bemused at the notion of someone “just stopping by” or inviting a coworker over for a holiday meal, unless it’s at “the cottage”. Canadian cottage culture pretty much perfectly encapsulates the sort of weirdly formal informality that we go in for.

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2022 9:25 PM

I am Floridian so Ive encountered Canadians most of my life. I always found them polite enough,but not really approachable. They always seem to cluster together too.Live in the same areas,go to the same stores and restaurants,hang out with each other. Overall they made no real impression on me at all. I neither love nor hate them.

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2022 9:26 PM

I've met many over the years who come down to hike in The White Mountain National Forest. In spring, signs are posted around Mt Washington, particularly Tuckerman Ravine, of avalanche danger but that doesn't stop those crazy Canadians. Big time risk takers but I've never met one who I didn't like that I've met in the wild.

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2022 9:33 PM

I like that they mind their own beeswax and don’t wish everyone to have a blessed day.

I don’t like that they use provolone instead of mozzarella for eggplant parmigiana.

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2022 9:34 PM

Canadians are dreary and aloof. Montrealers and the people of Quebec in general are the exception and *boy* are they ever.

The only city in Canada worth living in is Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2022 9:36 PM

The Canadians I've dealt with through my professional trade association have been warm and genuine people, male and female.

Put me on "Team Pro Canadian."

by Anonymousreply 22December 11, 2022 9:39 PM

Fuck you OP.

If it wasn't for Canada we'd all be eating brats and drinking pilsner. Thankfully, we contained that shit to your fucking souless country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2022 10:09 PM

Justin Bieber is a good example of a Canadian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 11, 2022 10:12 PM

Those mentioning the passive aggressive trait are spot on. Also, they will quiz you as to what you’ve done to earn that beer while relaxing. Super strong Protestant work ethic that is overbearing at times. I go to an in-law’s lake house and I find them intrusive. Toronto, however, is an amazing city that I will never tire of.

by Anonymousreply 25December 11, 2022 10:26 PM

Any nationality next to loudmouth, narcissistic Americans seems reserved.

by Anonymousreply 26December 11, 2022 10:44 PM

Australian here and the same experience as the OP. We have mentioned among ourselves how all the Canadians we’ve met have been a bit odd and aloof.

It’s so strange to hear Americans talk about how friendly they are. Maybe it’s comparatively, but honestly I generally find Americans friendlier.

But you want really nice people, you go to New Zealand.

by Anonymousreply 27December 11, 2022 10:48 PM

Germans are universally hated amongst travelers and expat workers so I am a little amused with OP. They are usually the ones who are uptight and humorless . But for a country that inflicted nazis upon the world, I guess they have reason to be.

Canadians do tend to be less outgoing than Americans but once you’re accepted by them it’s great. All that winter weather breeds a zany sense of humour and outdoorsy adventure. And they are also great in the sack. To say Canadians are humorless is a bit of a joke since most of the great and famous comedians are and have been Canadian.

Having worked for many usa based corporations, they put any workaholic to shame from any country. And they all brag about their long work hours like a badge of honor. The thing is they don’t work hard to get home and have a good life, they just work long hours.

The point is every country has weird traits. Picking on Canadians specifically seems a little weird and probably happening because a typical miserable German is trying to pull another country to the bottom with them in terms of reputation. Perhaps OP they’re just sick of looking at your ugly hairy Birkenstock wearing feet, your harsh sounding tone when you speak, and your reserving of beach chairs at 7am “to beat the rush.”

by Anonymousreply 28December 11, 2022 11:03 PM

R5 and let’s guess, you were probably drunk and you might be missing a tooth or two.

by Anonymousreply 29December 11, 2022 11:05 PM

Most Canadians I encountered have been polite and friendly. I was born and raised in San Diego, and the rudest people I have ever met live in my area.

by Anonymousreply 30December 11, 2022 11:09 PM

No problem with Canadians but every Hungarian, Belgian and Finn I've ever met was a nutjob.

by Anonymousreply 31December 11, 2022 11:18 PM

I'm married to one. We've been together for 30 years. So far so good.

by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2022 11:30 PM

[quote][R5] and let’s guess, you were probably drunk and you might be missing a tooth or two.

^^ Canadian sourgurl. Proves the point.

When I was on this EURO train thing the Canadians often had the Canadian flag on their travel bags. They didn't want people thinking they were American. They should be flattered.

by Anonymousreply 33December 11, 2022 11:58 PM

Nope. Not Canadian but nice try toothy.

by Anonymousreply 34December 12, 2022 12:03 AM

[quote] They should be flattered.

Why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 12, 2022 12:04 AM

[quote]Nope. Not Canadian but nice try toothy.

Nope? I'm sorry, I didn't realise I was talking to a 15 year old. I'm sorry. Please carry on.

by Anonymousreply 36December 12, 2022 12:26 AM

Glad you found them! ^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 12, 2022 12:30 AM

I love the French Canadians but I wish they would speak English. Everyone else in the world does.

by Anonymousreply 38December 12, 2022 12:42 AM

Canadians, like armadillos, are known carriers of leprosy. It's best to avoid them, but if you can't, and find yourself in close quarters, wash your hands after coming into contact with them.

by Anonymousreply 39December 12, 2022 12:46 AM

I've never slept with one.

by Anonymousreply 40December 12, 2022 12:48 AM

We are better than Americans. End of thread.

by Anonymousreply 41December 12, 2022 12:54 AM

Insults and stereotypes from the Madonna of nations. All you people who want to run to Canada every time your democracy threatens to collapse again. I'd back the truckers blocking the border again if that's what it took to keep you out of my country. You're throwing everything you have away with both hands so enjoy that.

by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2022 1:00 AM

Don't look at me, Canadians-- I like you guys. All of you! It's the Brits I find obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 43December 12, 2022 1:13 AM

Remind me again how many World Wars the Canadians started, Mr. Germany?

by Anonymousreply 44December 12, 2022 1:13 AM

[quote] I go to an in-law’s lake house and I find them intrusive.

R25 is your name Ngozi Fulani?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 12, 2022 1:17 AM

R38, many of us do speak english. We're just afraid of being Canadianized which is the worst thing that can happen to a group of people.

by Anonymousreply 46December 12, 2022 1:53 PM

Please rise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 12, 2022 3:44 PM

[quote] The only shared trait is they tend to be aloof

LMAO at this coming from a German.

Germans invented cold, aloof, persnickety and "off." Austrians took it to a high art form.

L O fucking L.

Canadians aren't the warmest people on earth, but they're more fun after a few cocktails than the Krauts, I'll tell you that!

by Anonymousreply 48December 12, 2022 3:49 PM

R42 No one in "your" country wants you there. They want to trade you for humans with a brain, and send you to live in some dire trash pit in Alabama, which you seem to want.

by Anonymousreply 49December 12, 2022 3:50 PM

Atleast Germans have a culture R48. They also make the best cars.

by Anonymousreply 50December 12, 2022 4:21 PM

I've worked with many Canadians at different companies, mainly from Montreal and it has been mostly okay to downright miserable. It's not just my experience either. A few have been awesome though. They're very professional though, which is nice. Just short tempered.

by Anonymousreply 51December 12, 2022 4:45 PM

[quote] At least Germans have a culture

Getting drunk and driving a car fast is hardly a "culture"

by Anonymousreply 52December 12, 2022 4:51 PM

[quote]Germans are universally hated amongst travelers and expat workers so I am a little amused with OP. They are usually the ones who are uptight and humorless .

Not my experience. Though Germany is only about 10th in rankings if most travelled Europeans, the young people stand far apart from more adult travelers. They seem pretty fearless about trying to learn and try on languages (not the most skilled at it, but very high marks for eagerness), and they are ambitious in their travels, wanting to see everything and explore particularly the remote and mundane corners that other travellers bypass for their highlights tour. Go to the most local of out of the way, un-special local joints and if you find a foreigner, it's probably a young German guy deep in conversation with some guy who's never left his village. They apply the effort and then some, is my point. And I can't recall any young Germans who seemed bored to death with their travels; they all want to see more, so more, and meet more people. And in an admirable way.

Older German travellers are a different breed.

by Anonymousreply 53December 12, 2022 4:53 PM

R13, you’re hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 54December 12, 2022 4:53 PM

In other countries, people may dislike or outright hate (Bush, Trump) the leadership, but seem to give individuals the benefit of the doubt and generally don't seem to hold it against you. Canadians seem to want to be confrontational about, as if you were personally responsible for terrible policies, bad leadership, etc.

by Anonymousreply 55December 12, 2022 5:05 PM

I really don't understand the hate on Canadians.

They're like better Brits, without the bad dentistry and unearned we're the best attitude. They have a bit of a stiff upper lip persona at first but they relax quickly. And Canadian men are among the hottest I've ever had.

by Anonymousreply 56December 12, 2022 5:10 PM

R52, you've obviously never left Canada and the shithole province you come from. Germans have a very rich and old culture and have invented many things. They were once considered a super race. Canada is just a second-rate United States.

by Anonymousreply 57December 12, 2022 5:14 PM

Lots of great musicians from Canada.

by Anonymousreply 58December 12, 2022 5:14 PM

R57 I'm not Canadian, you self-important Bavarian fotze.

Be gone with you, you spargel-stinking cesspool of piss.

by Anonymousreply 59December 12, 2022 5:16 PM

I always assumed Canadians were much nicer than Americans until I visited Toronto. Nastiest population of any city I've ever visited (and I live in NYC surrounded by assholes). I was with my elderly mother and some 35 year old hetero white guy SCREAMED at her to learn how to fucking drive because she wasn't going fast enough in the traffic packed city. Not to be a MARY, but it was shocking behavior. Who rolls down their window in traffic and screams at a 73 year old woman who is going the speed limit? Major MAGA energy and this was pre-Trump. Made Boston drivers seem like sweet kindergarten teachers.

Just an incredibly cold, rude, unattractive group of people. I'm sure there are exceptions, obviously, but we were stunned by the hostility of the city. And this was in the summer, so they didn't even have weather as an excuse.

People in Montreal, on the other hand, are lovely. And I have friends from Vancouver and Alberta who are reserved but extremely kind and funny. The friend from Calgary told me that Toronto is similar to NY in terms of nastiness - akin to how people from the US midwest would consider NYers rude - the same goes for Canada. But I maintain the Torontonians blew NYers out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 60December 12, 2022 5:17 PM

From the website "Shit About Canada"

"So let’s get one thing straight – you will find wasteland everywhere here. Miles of concrete and gray, fart-mouthed garglesharts trapped on gray freeways in gray cities leading gray lives from Victoria to St. John. Meaningless, idle lives led in slapdash, unplanned housing in shitty, cultureless abortions of cities is a national phenomenon. A lifetime of laboring for nothing awaits you here. If Dante were alive today, Canada would be his inspiration for Purgatory. Living here is Sysiphian. It is hard labor wasted on elbowless, formless, spongy holding companies branded with maple leaves and red-and-white. This is the slow-death, the painful squeaking miserable quiet death of frogs in a pot of ever-warming water.

Some mental preparation for this Eldritch terror is a good idea. Here’s a good start. Find pictures of the old Soviet Union. You know, all of those lovely cracking freeways and hideous concrete residences grasping for mediocrity as they crumble? Those. Look at them. Post them around your house. Get used to them. Then find a picture of a Canadian flag and post a copy of it on every other Stalincock tower in sight. If you do this correctly you should see a Canadian flag roughly every 10 feet. Does your newly-bedecked home now make you want to cry, to give up and retreat to bed and just never come out again? Welcome to Mondays in Canada. And Tuesdays. And the rest of the week too, for that matter. Remember the song Blue? This is Gray, and it’s your new favorite color besides red-and-white."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 12, 2022 5:20 PM

OP, people from the USA & Canada who can afford to travel abroad for pleasure are more prone to be arrogant & entitled. That certainly doesn't mean we're all that way, but far too many of us are. And frankly, it's no different for Europeans and especially Asians who visit the USA & Canada. It's just something that comes with privilege with some people. They have it in the back of their minds that they're going to show all the locals how much better things are where they come from.

by Anonymousreply 62December 12, 2022 5:20 PM

R60, as a Torontonian I'm not going to argue hard with you. Toronto's a cold town and an increasingly hard town in which to live unless you're young and your priorities around fun and living life make you immune to what a bitch of a city this dull place is (a bar's a bar, in the end so if that's your standard, Toronto can be fun. And in fairness when the food is good it's really good.)

Traffic, though, is down to the idiots at city hall. There is no mass transit at scale so people still use their cars because the subways are few and they're always crammed when their not stopped in their tracks for service or signal issues. It's a big city, more LA than Copenhagen, but staff and politicians won't hear it. They are determined to solve the climate crisis singlehandedly. All they are doing is creating more congestion and cars sitting idling, but I guess that's OK. It's lunacy. So the guy losing it (who was still an asshole) was probably stuck in traffic to the point he actually lost his shit. I apologize for him anyway. Toronto drivers are assholes because they're driven to it by bad, out of touch planning at city hall. (The head of the department is from Seattle, so thanks for that.)

All I hear from people is how much they're weary of the congestion. I'm leaving in 2024. It's an unpleasant life in Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 63December 12, 2022 5:25 PM

Toronto is = NYC and Chicago. Any big city of that scale will be like that. I don't think it has much to do with whether you're in the US or Canada.

And if you think that's rude, try driving in Mumbai LOLOLOLOL

by Anonymousreply 64December 12, 2022 5:29 PM

The crazy thing about French Canadian men is that they are not just friendlier than Anglo-Canadians but they are hotter too. A winning combo.

by Anonymousreply 65December 12, 2022 5:35 PM

My sil is Canadian and she admits that Canada has a complex about the US.

There tv and movies suck. Quite a lot of location filming is done there to fill in for US cities but something is always off and I can spot a Canadian set at once.

by Anonymousreply 66December 12, 2022 5:35 PM

Yes,Anglo Canadians have an inferiority complex that results in mediocrity and complacency. For instance, their healthcare. America is the only western nation with worse healthcare than Canada. What is the typical Canadian response to this? "At least we aren't in the states!". And they say this forever and ever. On repeat. It prevents them from actually looking at the system objectively.

by Anonymousreply 67December 12, 2022 5:38 PM

I told this once before but when my brother was living and working in Toronto he saw a ton of confederate flags and those mudding events we always associate with magat white trash Southerners were popular. He was appalled and we're from Texas.

by Anonymousreply 68December 12, 2022 5:42 PM

R65 Agreed.

I was snowed in and stuck for an extra night in a hotel in Toronto - it was pretty empty there but I met up with a group of French-Canadian lacrosse players in the lobby.

Three of them came back to my room. I can attest to their friendliness 😁

by Anonymousreply 69December 12, 2022 5:43 PM

"There" should be "their". Oh Dearing myself.

by Anonymousreply 70December 12, 2022 5:47 PM

And speaking of sex w/Canadians....

Newfoundland has a reputation for being one of the friendliest places on earth. And as one of my Canadian friends once said, "If you're not getting laid in Newfoundland, you don't want to be."

by Anonymousreply 71December 12, 2022 5:50 PM

I used to work at a hotel and one old Canadian couple checked in and started telling me if I was single I could get a husband up in the Canadian wilderness. They winked slyly so I guess a lot of lonely horny desperate men are up there and up for anything.

by Anonymousreply 72December 12, 2022 6:09 PM

It's a pretty good repeat, though, R67:

What’s more, a high-income American was more likely to report financial hurdles than a low-income person in nearly all the other countries surveyed – which include Australia, Canada, France, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 12, 2022 6:23 PM

R67 [quote] America is the only western nation with worse healthcare than Canada.

This is not true.

by Anonymousreply 74December 12, 2022 6:23 PM

In Canada, all is peace, justice, and glory.....just saying the word Canada, let alone being there, washes away the stress of modern life and the sad turmoils of other less blissful countries and regions.

by Anonymousreply 75December 12, 2022 6:26 PM

Tell that to the indigenous tribes R75.

by Anonymousreply 76December 12, 2022 6:32 PM

No R75. Canada is the Bill Cosby of countries. It wears dad shirts and eats jello pudding pops. It's so nice on the outside and psychopathic on the inside.

by Anonymousreply 77December 12, 2022 7:00 PM

R74, what other western countries have worse healthcare?

by Anonymousreply 78December 12, 2022 7:01 PM

So what does that make America? Donald Trump? Noisy, garish and simplistic on the outside and stupid, wicked and thin skinned on the inside?

by Anonymousreply 79December 12, 2022 7:07 PM

Canadians define the term thin-skinned.

by Anonymousreply 80December 12, 2022 7:15 PM

Their National Health Plan is so bad, if a Canadian needs excellent medical care they head south of the border.

by Anonymousreply 81December 12, 2022 7:21 PM

My Canadian SIL mentioned above also said many Canadians have issues with songs like American Pie being sung in pubs. She's a musician and was trying to put together a song list and that one was suggested from a few of us non-canadians. She said "no" and said Canadians were too proud.

It's just a fucking song.

by Anonymousreply 82December 12, 2022 7:26 PM

This monthly thread is like DL's dementia wing. Same shit, every time.

by Anonymousreply 83December 12, 2022 7:38 PM

God I love seeing Canada getting dragged. They have the least deserved good reputation of any country in the world.

That being said, most of the negative stereotypes are coming out of Ontario/Saskatchewan/Manitoba. I deal with western Canadians frequently for work and they are lovely. They have a pretty distinctive way of being gregarious and friendly in a quiet way that I don't think I've seen from any other group.

People from the Maritimes have personalities and soul, but are weirdos. The Quebecois are the most normal out of all of the regions of the country, but unfortunately can be pushy assholes. I like that, though. I'm American.

by Anonymousreply 84December 12, 2022 7:42 PM

Their bacon is very underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 85December 12, 2022 7:50 PM

They're still a colony and they act like it.

by Anonymousreply 86December 12, 2022 7:53 PM

Canadians are more polite than American

by Anonymousreply 87December 12, 2022 7:58 PM

[quote]And frankly, it's no different for Europeans and especially Asians who visit the USA & Canada.

Those are the Chinese who are obnoxious, so please don't lump all Asians together. The Japanese are excellent tourists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 12, 2022 8:10 PM

R82 your SIL sounds like a bossy Karen. That said, American Pie is a super long and ultimately depressing song so I am sure there are better choices. Did she also veto American Woman written by a Canadian) and all songs by America (the band)?

by Anonymousreply 89December 12, 2022 9:02 PM

R84, you're so typical.

by Anonymousreply 90December 12, 2022 9:08 PM

That's a bit heavy for her and her friend R89. They are more folksy.

by Anonymousreply 91December 12, 2022 9:13 PM

R90 Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 92December 13, 2022 4:30 AM

From a Japanese high school textbook:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 13, 2022 4:30 AM

It's a thing for all Canadians outside Toronto to hate Toronto, right? I'm from Nova Scotia and almost everyone I know from the East Coast who moved to Tranna hated it. It's filled with soulless people who only care about making money.

by Anonymousreply 94December 13, 2022 4:36 AM

The less people know about Canada the better - especially Americans.

Bad things often happen to the citizens of countries that the US takes an interest in.

by Anonymousreply 95December 13, 2022 5:56 AM

Never trust them. They are like Filipinos. Convincingly nice to your face, but will knife you in the back without hesitation.

by Anonymousreply 96December 13, 2022 6:22 AM

You are spot on OP. They aren't nice, they are passive aggressive to the extreme. The whole upper Midwest is like this too.

by Anonymousreply 97December 13, 2022 6:31 AM

Corner Gas is a really funny Canadian show. R66

by Anonymousreply 98December 13, 2022 6:36 AM

I've lived in Toronto for over 20 years. It's simmering with rage and passive aggressiveness. It just gets worse as rents, mortgages and prices, in general, keep going up.

by Anonymousreply 99December 13, 2022 6:38 AM

Canadians are also New Zealanders. They share the same smug "we're special" parochialism.

by Anonymousreply 100December 13, 2022 6:52 AM

Aw Canadians, ignore the haters who say you're fake nice and passive aggressive.

They say the same shit about us.

They can fuck right off and stay in the hellholes they call home.

by Anonymousreply 101December 13, 2022 10:04 AM

I'm telling you, this same attitude is all.over Minnesota and most of Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 102December 13, 2022 10:18 AM

Bless your heart r101.

by Anonymousreply 103December 13, 2022 10:19 AM

R101 was raised right.

by Anonymousreply 104December 13, 2022 10:29 AM

Yes, very passive-aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 105December 13, 2022 10:44 AM

^uncut Quebecois cock!

Say that three times, fast. Then swallow.

by Anonymousreply 106December 13, 2022 10:50 AM

Canadians reflect the country that they live in, cold ,cold cold.

by Anonymousreply 107December 13, 2022 11:31 AM

My friend's parents were born in Montreal. 60 years in America, and they still pronounce it Muhntreeawl and about aboot.

by Anonymousreply 108December 13, 2022 11:38 AM

I’m Wondering why no one is FF and blocking the asshole at r57 who is talking about Germans being considered a super race. No here angry about Canadians not being as outgoing as they would prefer one even responded to it.

Sounds like something Hitler would say. And guess what - none of us on this thread would be left over after his handiwork had had the USA, Canada, Britain, and a bunch of of other western countries not beaten his ass.

Also this is such a troll thread. Yet another attempt to sew dissent between people in western culture. There are many other countries to be picking on than a fellow peace loving western nation that shares the same values. And people falling for it by angrily going at fellow posters who might be Canadians like they are the worst fucking thing alive. They were also one of the first countries to allow gay marriage. Smarten up datalounge.

Hey OP, I don’t know enough Russian or Chinese to speak to you in whichever one is your preferred language. You don’t have enough posting history to be anything other than a Boris or Mihao.

Mary! Etc all you want but I am right on this one.

by Anonymousreply 109December 13, 2022 12:26 PM

^ no response to that - instead you all continue to be*

Typo near the beginning

by Anonymousreply 110December 13, 2022 12:28 PM

OP is a miserable shitstain.

by Anonymousreply 111December 13, 2022 12:34 PM

OP is obviously not German.

by Anonymousreply 112December 13, 2022 12:41 PM

Unless they're Jewish or Muslim, you won't find any guy under 45 years old who is cut.

by Anonymousreply 113December 13, 2022 7:03 PM

I ran into a lot of them when traveling and they do sew a Canadian flag patch on their gear. It's a weird mix of pride and insecurity so they don't get mistaken as being from the US they claim. No one else does this and no, it's not people from the US sewing on Canadian flag patches so they don't get harassed. Otherwise, nice enough.

by Anonymousreply 114December 13, 2022 7:21 PM

Where Muriel when you need her. This thread should be closed and deleted.

by Anonymousreply 115December 13, 2022 7:45 PM

R115 Why on Earth?

by Anonymousreply 116December 13, 2022 7:53 PM

I used to work for an American retailer in their catalog department. We were close to the border and received a lot of mail orders from Canada, almost exclusively Ontario, and the shipping price and import taxes were insane. We were told it was due to tariffs imposed by the Canadian government, but we also told we weren't allowed to tell customers this (?)

I would constantly field calls from irate Canadian customers who thought we were scamming them. They weren't afraid to tell us what they thought of us! I got guilt tripped many times about how I could work for such a company and how did I feel about myself, hmm, that this is what I do to people? I still tense up if I get a spam call with a Canadian area code.

by Anonymousreply 117December 13, 2022 8:00 PM

[quote]Unless they're Jewish or Muslim, you won't find any guy under 45 years old who is cut.

This is total bullshit. Only the Catholics are generally uncut.

by Anonymousreply 118December 13, 2022 8:00 PM

R114, Canadians have been told that the whole world loves them and worships Canada. The truth is nobody cares about Canada.

by Anonymousreply 119December 13, 2022 8:18 PM

OP = troll

by Anonymousreply 120December 13, 2022 10:07 PM

[quote]No one else does this and no, it's not people from the US sewing on Canadian flag patches so they don't get harassed.

Anecdotally, yes it is.

by Anonymousreply 121December 13, 2022 10:31 PM

R121 I've never seen or heard of anyone actually doing it.

by Anonymousreply 122December 13, 2022 11:51 PM

The tight-lipped simmering rage on this thread is palpable.

by Anonymousreply 123December 13, 2022 11:52 PM

Block r123 and the worst comments and highest volume of them, disappears. Miserable cock incel probably got rejected by a Canadian lol.

by Anonymousreply 124December 14, 2022 12:08 AM

Michiganders are weird too, so it may be the latitude.

by Anonymousreply 125December 14, 2022 12:14 AM

[quote]Bad things often happen to the citizens of countries that the US takes an interest in.

Don’t worry, R95. We are well aware of you. We’ve had you thoroughly domesticated and non-threatening for many years now, so there’s no need to be concerned about overt intervention.

by Anonymousreply 126December 14, 2022 12:19 AM

[quote]Canadians are also New Zealanders. They share the same smug "we're special" parochialism.

R100, do New Zealanders resent Australia and make a big thing about not being Australian, while Australians patronizingly pat them on the head and say what a nice, unimportant little country they are ... when they recall that New Zealand actually exists?

by Anonymousreply 127December 14, 2022 12:21 AM

Canadian here. Lived out of Canada longer than I lived in it. Canadians are not passive aggressive. They are groomed for social cohesion. When you step outside, like eg try to cut into traffic, they 1) do not like it and 2) are going to teach you a lesson about it! Their founding motto is peace order and good government (vs Life liberty and pursuit of happiness). Also most adult Canadians are 1st maybe 2nd generation so they’re carrying a lot of that immigrant stuff around and a lot of the home country stuff too.

by Anonymousreply 128December 14, 2022 12:23 AM

What's a Canadian?

by Anonymousreply 129December 14, 2022 12:28 AM

R118, the circumcision rate in Canada is 30%, and that sounds about right based on what I've encountered.

by Anonymousreply 130December 14, 2022 12:30 AM

They have the best comedians.

by Anonymousreply 131December 14, 2022 12:57 AM

Terrible people. Just awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132December 14, 2022 7:02 AM

Odder than their character is that I've met so few of them as an adult. I could rattle off lists of people I know or have known from the rest of North and South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Middle-East, Australia and Oceania.

But I can barely think of a couple Canadians I've known. My interactions are so rare and very fleeting. The couple people I know we'll enough to offer any observation are, though, somewhat oddly prickly or defensive. We can find interesting conversation and have a laugh, but there's a sense of having to being on guard not to be misunderstood.

by Anonymousreply 133December 14, 2022 8:23 AM

I’m tired by them amassing along the US border, over 90% of Canadians live within a hundred miles of the U.S., they are definitely planning an invasion.

by Anonymousreply 134December 14, 2022 8:46 AM

You're surrounded by Germans and you think Canadians are rude assholes?

by Anonymousreply 135December 14, 2022 8:46 AM

R78 Every one of them. Dumb people repeat dumb shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136December 14, 2022 11:57 AM

There's really nothing all that offensive on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 137December 14, 2022 12:01 PM

I have great 'Canadar'. I can spot a Canadian (mainly males) by his appearance from a mile away. So many of them have this wholesome, pale tone, look about them. And then when they speak it's game over.

I had a Canadian lady who worked for me for 12 years back in the 70s & 80s. They had left Canada 20 years before she came to work for me and had only been back every few years. Once they went back up for a visit after several years and when she got back to work she was talking about how happy she was to leave Ontario. She said "everybody's now saying 'eh' at the end of every sentence and it drove me crazy".

by Anonymousreply 138December 14, 2022 2:43 PM

Pupils can't photograph teacher

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 15, 2022 9:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!