Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Arizona governor builds border wall of shipping crates in final days of office

Doug Ducey is driving a project that is placing double-stacked old shipping containers through several miles of national forest, attempting to fill gaps in Donald Trump’s intermittent border fencing. The rusting hulks, topped with razor wire and with bits of metal jammed into gaps, stretch for more than three miles through Coronado national forest land, south of Tucson, and the governor has announced plans to extend that up to 10 miles, at a cost of $95m

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 13, 2022 5:28 PM

That’ll stop ‘em!!

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2022 5:34 PM

Do they realize that they can easily be cut through?

by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2022 5:40 PM

I bet if you called him a racist he’s get all red in the face, burst into tears and demand to know why you’re picking on him.

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2022 5:43 PM

Ah, the paradox of Republicans. They want cheap workers who will accept worse conditions and fewer rights but are also against immigration.

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2022 5:51 PM

Are those condominiums?

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2022 6:01 PM

Arizona Governor Doug Douch-ey

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2022 6:01 PM

These look so pathetic. Does he really think people can’t get through them?

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2022 6:05 PM

You can always count on the GOP to waste time and taxpayers' money on pointless gestures.

Competent, they are not.

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2022 6:08 PM

Spending $95m on this is nuts too.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2022 6:09 PM

It's called climbing over and thee do the same with the Dump wall! GOD !!!!!!!!!!! Americans are the dumbest cunts on the planet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2022 6:09 PM

What a cunt. Someone needs to file charges against this asshole. 95mil is a lot of money that could go into housing projects in Arizona.

I'm so proud of Arizona for giving the GOP the finger..

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2022 6:11 PM

Petty, ugly, and useless. Like so many in the Republican party.

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2022 6:23 PM

I’m for a wall as long as it goes all around Arizona. Is there something in the water in AZ, that makes people stupid and mean. No one is even bothering to cross there stupid wall because they prefer Mexico. I guess all those disastrous poverty ridden Native reservations in Az aren’t absorbing Arizonans hate. What a useless bankrupt overgrazed pointless life Arizonans must live. Whole communities of retired firefighters and cops move to Arizona from Cali because it is cheaper. They then vote to keep out those that would wipe their aging asses cheaply. Things don’t go well so they blame Democrats. Besides the Grand Canyon and the Cactuses I would give this state a miss. It is easy to get around on either side and you can fill up on cheap gas in Mexico on your way to somewhere decent.

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2022 6:42 PM

[quote]It's called climbing over and thee do the same with the Dump wall! GOD !!!!!!!!!!! Americans are the dumbest cunts on the planet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who is the president today? Which candidate won the most votes in 2016? Which party just swept the statewide offices in the state of Arizona? What is the polling history of border wall approval?

The only dumb cunt is you, with your reductive, ignorant generalities.

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2022 6:49 PM

Who's getting rich off this?

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2022 6:54 PM

My 1st husband traveled a lot for work and I would go with him .He ended up in Phoenix for a couple of months.I found the Mexican people to be lovely.Warm and open and friendly. The white people gave me the fucking creeps. It was weird but you could almost feel the bigotry and hatred. I thought Texas was bad.

by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2022 6:57 PM

1 term in office 1 term in prison.

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2022 6:57 PM

[quote]Who's getting rich off this?

My thoughts exactly.

It's clearly a money laundering scheme. I'm sure some of those millions are going to his bank account somehow. Thank good Arizona is turning blue. The incoming governor should threaten with a future investigation.

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2022 7:01 PM

Don't they have ladders in Mexico.Or trampolines?

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2022 7:06 PM

The fucked up thing about AZ is a lot of people own 2nd homes in Mexico. We can drive 3.5hrs to a beach town in mx, drink and ride sand rails and just have a crazy good time. Rich and trashy people both go.

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2022 7:09 PM

Come legally or don’t come. I support greater legal immigration (lots of it) and I have no problem with immigrants. I love the US and hope the new arrivals do too. This is a great place even with all the challenges.

But come legally.

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2022 7:11 PM

Arizona the beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 22December 11, 2022 7:13 PM

R21 If was reasonably able to come legally they would, don't you think?

by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2022 7:13 PM

[quote] My 1st husband traveled a lot for work and I would go with him .He ended up in Phoenix for a couple of months.I found the Mexican people to be lovely.Warm and open and friendly.

Same here.

I honestly don't get all the hate.

They're hard workers too, and do all the jobs that white people won't do.

by Anonymousreply 24December 11, 2022 7:23 PM

R23 Duh

I have and will continue to give to candidates who support expanding immigration and improving the admission process. And I vote.

But if someone’s first act to try to immigrate is to break the law, I don’t want them. It sucks, but that’s democracy and the supremacy of laws. I hope it changes soon. It may not.

Nothing excuses the obligation to be lawful, especially an individual’s personal wants and desires. Come legally or don’t come.

by Anonymousreply 25December 11, 2022 7:29 PM

And the worst loss is sustained by the migratory animals who have to work that much harder in an already savage environment to do what they have to do.

We’re killing the planet in our vicious stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 26December 11, 2022 7:30 PM

R25 Fair and I basically agree but immigration laws are so tight that a lot of them have to come illegally.

by Anonymousreply 27December 11, 2022 7:31 PM

R26 yeah, the countless nameless men, women, and children who die trying to come across the border aren’t the worst loss, the migratory animals are.

😳

by Anonymousreply 28December 11, 2022 7:32 PM

I can easily see immigrants start to use those crates as homes.

If you've ever seen housing in Brazilian favelas or barrios in Caracas, Venezuela, you'd know that people there actually DO use these little crates as homes in those countries.

So this idiotic Governor has just given border crossers a nice place to live in temporarily, while they go and find jobs in Tucson.

HA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 11, 2022 7:36 PM

We need a week without a Mexican. $7 for a head of lettuce sounds fair.

by Anonymousreply 30December 11, 2022 7:36 PM

R27 I hear you. I have deep sympathy for anyone who feels that desperate.

But the law supersedes everything for me. Thankfully we have generous asylum laws and more than a hundred countries are on the list. If it’s truly authentically life or death, people are admitted and generously. The process for citizenship is no cake walk, but we are working on that. Sadly, others have to wait or get lucky.

by Anonymousreply 31December 11, 2022 7:37 PM

It’s not us or them, R28, it’s them first and then us.

I’m not without sympathy for people trying against poverty, the desert, racism, xenophobia, and our indifference, to make better lives by coming north by any means possible. They’re exploited, ignored, cheated, condescended to, and exposed to every other form of inhumane treatment imaginable.

I just FEEL for animals more because I know most people really don’t give a shit, even as we drive them to extinction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2022 11:38 PM

[Quote] I have and will continue to give to candidates who support expanding immigration and improving the admission process. And I vote.

None of the people coming in illegal would pass the hurdles of legal immigration, which is why they come illegally. And the US with our anti-commie and anti-drug policies caused all the instability that causes people to escape Central America and come here.

by Anonymousreply 33December 11, 2022 11:47 PM

It used to be that migrants crossed the border during farming season and then would cross back when that was done. The US then decided to block the borders altogether causing this mad rush to come in and stay in.

This is NOT the big deal the GOP pretends it it. The border repelled over a million people last year. That means our system is working. There are about 11 million illegals in the US. In a country of 350 million, that’s 3%.

That 3% works to allow the American middle class to have some luxuries—lawn and child care, restaurant and home upkeep, cheaper foods because of farming and factory workers. Without them, prices would be far higher for everything.

by Anonymousreply 34December 11, 2022 11:51 PM

Wow, those containers look so ghetto. How embarrassing

by Anonymousreply 35December 11, 2022 11:51 PM

Migration across the globe will get far worse as global warming will make some lands uninhabitable.

by Anonymousreply 36December 11, 2022 11:52 PM

Nothing is more unbreachable than stacked crates!

by Anonymousreply 37December 11, 2022 11:53 PM

If nothing else, at least they'll sit out there in the desert looking ugly for generations to come, as a reminder of our stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 38December 11, 2022 11:58 PM

How German of him.

by Anonymousreply 39December 11, 2022 11:59 PM

Who's cleaning that up?

by Anonymousreply 40December 12, 2022 12:03 AM

[quote] But before that happens, they are being laid down by a contractor called AshBritt, a Florida-based disaster remediation firm. A local media investigation found that Ducey’s announced $6m cost for the Yuma barriers had actually cost $13m.

I wonder if this company AshBritt has ties to Rick Scott, Death Sentence, Rubio or the other Florida Republicans. And of course it would have a massive cost overrun as well.

How many habitats and archeological sites have been permanently destroyed by this lunacy? Trump did the same thing a few years ago at Organ Pipe Cactus NM--destroying hundred year old cacti for a stupid fucking wall that they'll get through anyway.

by Anonymousreply 41December 12, 2022 12:04 AM

Will the new governor remove them?

by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2022 12:06 AM

This isn't Arizona, but El Paso where thousands just easily cross the border every day at one section. People acting like there is no illegal border crossing are just ignorant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 12, 2022 12:07 AM

It's easier to climb over than Trump's stupid wall.

by Anonymousreply 44December 12, 2022 12:08 AM

Then who will pick the tomatoes? Or clean the hotel rooms? Or do landscaping?

by Anonymousreply 45December 12, 2022 12:08 AM

[quote] People acting like there is no illegal border crossing are just ignorant.

Sticking a bunch of shipping containers on federal lands (that people can get through anyway) is not the way to stop the problem. Then there is the issue of state vs federal land rights.

by Anonymousreply 46December 12, 2022 12:10 AM

When we went to Big Bend you could see the ranchers crossing back and forth across the river on horseback. One of the reasons a wall is stupid. Many have land that straddles between the US and Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 47December 12, 2022 12:11 AM

It would be very simple to just climb over the damn shipping containers. This is just more GOP dog whistling.

by Anonymousreply 48December 12, 2022 12:16 AM

Such a gorgeous addition to the AZ desert.......

by Anonymousreply 49December 12, 2022 12:17 AM

I wonder if you can see it from space like the Great Wall of China?

by Anonymousreply 50December 12, 2022 12:19 AM

How many trees were destroyed for this?

National forest — isn’t that federally protected land?

Is this governor in violation of those protections?

by Anonymousreply 51December 12, 2022 12:24 AM

Walls never work. And that’s the GOP’s only solution

by Anonymousreply 52December 12, 2022 12:31 AM

Trash begats trash

by Anonymousreply 53December 12, 2022 12:35 AM

Is there a tunnel yet the new prices reflect the costs of digging it

by Anonymousreply 54December 12, 2022 2:10 AM

This is so fucked up for animals in the area. "Actual" border structures take into account the needs and movements of local wildlife - these could be blocking paths to water in the desert.

OPs linked article brings that subject up at the end:

[quote]As a barrier for humans, the double-stacked boxes are not much of an obstacle, but they are an existential threat to endangered migratory species, especially jaguars and ocelots, as well as being an eyesore.

[quote]Emily Burns, program director for Sky Island Alliance, a binational conservation nonprofit that tracks wildlife in the Coronado national forest said: “There was no environmental review or planning or mitigation that was done.”

[quote]The Center for Biological Diversity was allowed to join the federal government as a defendant in Ducey’s lawsuit and has slammed the barrier as damaging and a political stunt.

[quote]Meanwhile, Burns noted that her organization has 70 wildlife cameras in this stretch of border and they rarely see migrants crossing there.

by Anonymousreply 55December 12, 2022 9:10 AM

" r14, I regret not fully aborting you. "

by Anonymousreply 56December 12, 2022 7:42 PM

How did they get those crates out there? I'm sure they built roads with heavy machinery and installed them using cranes, etc. How much environmental damage was caused by that alone?

by Anonymousreply 57December 12, 2022 7:45 PM

Who even thought this might be a good idea???

by Anonymousreply 58December 12, 2022 7:46 PM

Give me an illegal any day over the sociopathic homies we raised here in the uS.

by Anonymousreply 59December 12, 2022 7:47 PM

R59 And especially over the racist old fucks that are flooding into Arizona and Florida. Those tools are utterly worthless human beings, and so full of hate their eyes are red.

by Anonymousreply 60December 12, 2022 7:54 PM

[quote]This isn't Arizona, but El Paso where thousands just easily cross the border every day at one section. People acting like there is no illegal border crossing are just ignorant

That's a line of people literally waiting to be TAKEN INTO CUSTODY by Border Patrol so they can start the Asylum/Refugee/Migrant process. The tweet you shared actually says that.

Hate to break it to ya, R43, but that's NOT illegal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 12, 2022 10:04 PM

It is kind of beautiful as an art installation in that landscape. It reminds me of Christo’s Running Fence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 12, 2022 10:29 PM

Republicans are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 63December 12, 2022 10:42 PM

Here's something that racist bigots should consider. Treat others as you would be treated. White people are quickly becoming a minority. Racists who are dismissive of others my soon find themselves in a minority that is pushed around by a new majority who wants payback. Whites may actually someday be treated like slaves and newly freed slaves of yore. Discriminated against, marginalized, pushed into ghettos. They never think of that. Payback is a bitch.

I know it sounds far fetched but when I see historical images of oppressed minorities in this country I am amazed how kind and successful so many are today. Native Americans for example. They were brutalized and slaughtered but the Native people I know are among the kindest people I've met. Can you imagine if every oppressed minority rose up and treated whites like shit in return?

As demographics change, it could happen. Everyone needs to be kind and respectful to each other. Many of our ancestors got here the same way current immigrants do, by the skin of their teeth with only a shirt on their backs.

by Anonymousreply 64December 12, 2022 10:51 PM

R5, thank you. Was laugh out loud funny.

by Anonymousreply 65December 12, 2022 10:52 PM

Trump couldn't even close the small gaps in the existing wall?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 12, 2022 11:07 PM

They make good lookouts when you are watching for border control.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 12, 2022 11:09 PM

Follow the money.I bet there was looting of funds on a scale not seen since the Teapot Dome scandal.Or Trumps white house.

by Anonymousreply 68December 12, 2022 11:19 PM

Yes, someone made a lot of money doing this

by Anonymousreply 69December 13, 2022 12:11 AM

Nobody 'walks'. How could they survive without food and water for over a month? So why isn't Mexico preventing the human trafficking from Central America to the Texas border? It's obviously via vehicle:

"Mexico's southern border is shared with Guatemala. From that border, it is 1,125 miles by foot to McAllen, Texas. At three miles an hour, that's 375 hours, or about 38 days if they walk 10 hours a day".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 13, 2022 5:15 PM

[quote] So why isn't Mexico preventing the human trafficking from Central America to the Texas border?

Why should it?

by Anonymousreply 71December 13, 2022 5:17 PM

[quote] It's obviously via vehicle

Actually, it's via whatever mechanism people can find in a given day. Sometimes it's walking. Some days they find a car or train. Some of those trying to get to the US have traveled for months.

by Anonymousreply 72December 13, 2022 5:18 PM

What if you lose a shoe? Do you hobble the rest of the 1,000 trek over rugged terrain? Do you sleep with scorpions and snakes at night? What if you get separated from a group? How do you know which direction you're going- GPS? Violence, rape, illness, pregnancy, food, water...

I don't believe a word of it. Truckers are being paid by Republican operatives to haul these hopefuls up from Central America for political reasons. Then dropping them off near the Texas border the same way they dropped those off on Martha's Vineyard.

by Anonymousreply 73December 13, 2022 5:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!