Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Smiley,” Netflix’s Christmas Gay Rom-Com

Netflix just released this gay rom-com “Smiley” based on a popular theatrical play in Spain. It tells the story of two mismatched gay men who kind of hate each other but can’t keep their hands off each other, either.

It’s presented in a series of eight 30-minute episodes. It plays with many of the conventions and tropes of Hollywood rom-coms, including the desperate car ride to the airport to stop someone from getting away.

Carlos Cuevas (“Merli: Sapere Aude”) is playing gay here yet again, but absolutely no one is complaining.

When I was done watching, I had the feeling that this was the movie/series that Billy Eichner thought he was making when he did “Bros.” Except that unlike that feature film, this series made me smile all the way through.

In Spanish with English subtitles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149May 4, 2023 6:32 AM

Here’s a 5-minute recap of scenes from the series that will give you idea of how it looks and feels.

If you are afraid seeing some obvious spoilers, you should only watch the first couple of minutes of the video.

This first minute of the video shows scenes of Alex with his previous love, the one who is ghosting him. He sends an angry voice mail with a landline phone to that boyfriend, but it goes to the wrong number. Bruno, who gets the message by mistake, is confused enough to call Alex and they agree to meet on a blind date. Varying degrees of romantic comedy hilarity ensue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2022 10:35 PM

^^^ You may have to click the CC button to see English subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2022 10:36 PM

Is it better than Single All the Way?

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2022 12:52 AM

Superficial as this is, I have no interest in this, because I’m not attracted to the cast

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2022 1:07 AM

[quote] Is it better than Single All the Way?

Try one episode. It's only 30 minutes, then you'll know.

I love the ending of the first episode. Alex the bartender meets Bruno on a blind date, and he struggles to hide his disappointment with what Bruno looks like, so he pasts on a fake smile. But you can't fool Bruno.

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2022 1:11 AM

I loved it! It was very cute, funny and romantic. They didn't shy away from the gay sex scenes either, which American tv shows usually do.

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2022 12:53 PM

If I want crappy gay comedy drama in Spanish I'll stick with surprise anal in the barrio, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2022 12:57 PM

Great show. I didn't know it's based on a play.

I was a bit surprised that the show didn't make a bigger deal about Alex doing the same thing to Bruno as the ex did to Alex with the Smiley.

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2022 1:17 PM

I’m halfway through and enjoying it. My husband is from near Barcelona and is enjoying it when the supporting actors are speaking in Catalan.

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2022 4:06 PM

Carlos Cuevas is so beautiful! This was a welcome surprise. :)

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2022 4:28 PM

R9 Catalan is such an ugly language. I had to mute it when they spoke. Thank god most of this show was in Spanish. I usually don't watch Catalan shows because I love Spain and I don't support Catalan independence.

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2022 4:54 PM

R11 ok crazy. Thanks for sharing that valuable piece of information.

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2022 7:57 PM

I liked the scene the morning after their first sex together in which they are trying to downplay how fantastic it was for them. They could only admit that it was "just okay."

Alex: "You screamed when you came, especially that last time."

Bruno: "I had a cramp in my calf. It hurt like hell."

Alex: "But it sounded like screams of pleasure."

Bruno: "Well, a little, yes. But it was mainly my calf…. You had more fun than me."

Alex: "No way."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2022 9:13 PM

R12 Sorry, it's just my opinion. I never watch Catalan shows because I don't like the language and I don't support Catalan independence. Catalonia is part of Spain and should remain part of Spain. I love Spain and Catalonia is Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2022 6:17 AM

Why do Americans fret so much about Catalán independence when no one in Spain does?

Americans ask crazy things, like "Living in other parts of Spain, is it dangerous for a to go Barcelona?" It's not 1972 Belfast. And the vitality of Catalan as a language doesn't rob the rest of Spain of anything.

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2022 9:43 AM

Really ? is that how you want to be represented ? cookie-cutter pretty little sixpacked things (by frau standards ) ready to play the frau game and give a completely desingenuous vision of happy gayland ? there's nothing happy or cute about being gay, as you all very well know, and I am not interested in straight romcoms, to start with, and gay romcoms even less. Show me some reality, TIA

by Anonymousreply 16December 11, 2022 9:48 AM

Gays could make a from gays for gays show on Netflix a success if, internationally, all the Gays had individual Netflix accounts and pick from gay for gay content and watch it. As it is now, Fraus decide what gay content gets renewed, like Heartstopper.

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2022 10:24 AM

All fraus be dead !

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2022 10:44 AM

yeah, a good frau is a dead frau, "all fraus be dead" !

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2022 10:48 AM

I found it a little frustrating - after the first episode it became more about the other characters with random near-misses between Alex and Bruno. The main point of the series was to point out that playing games and not speaking your true feelings leads to missed opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2022 10:57 AM

I thought it was odd that there was not a single scene of Alex being in Bruno's home and meeting Bruno's dog. Not to mention the fact that Alex is apparently allergic to dogs. That, cheating, and long distance are usually what end relationships.

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2022 10:58 AM

I don't understand romantic feelings between men

by Anonymousreply 22December 11, 2022 11:03 AM

Well, that's just sad.

by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2022 11:05 AM

LOL

Carlos Cuevas = Charles Caves

gurl best be a bottom

by Anonymousreply 24December 11, 2022 11:25 AM

Carlos is apparently straight, but I have not seen a single movie where he plays straight. But then, I am not a Spaniard.

What are the most well known movies or TV shows where he plays straight?

by Anonymousreply 25December 11, 2022 11:59 AM

[quote] Show me some reality, TIA

Oh baby, do I have some Netflix-type reality for you. Gays as a serial killer's lunchmeat. Is that what you mean? That series was real and incredibly popular on Netflix.

This little "Smiley" movie is a break from all that. It's a non-English love letter from Netflix to the gays. Sorry for all the gay death and murder on our service! Sorry (but not really) for Dave Chappelle and his alphabet-people rants! Your life might be a nightmare at times, so here's a little dream for you, called Smiley.

by Anonymousreply 26December 11, 2022 4:14 PM

[quote] What are the most well known movies or TV shows where he plays straight?

Carlos Cuevas plays a straight rock star in Spain who sings mostly American music in "45 Revoluciones," also on Netflix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 11, 2022 4:28 PM

First time I ever heard this lyric:

[quote] Angels swing with the newborn king

by Anonymousreply 28December 11, 2022 5:34 PM

I’ve only watched the first episode so far. I’m loving it—so sweet.

I don’t get that Bruno is supposed to be ugly (or maybe just too old for Alex). He’s pretty cute

by Anonymousreply 29December 11, 2022 6:08 PM

The actor playing Bruno looked a little like Matthew Rhys - but that 👃

I thought the actor playing Albert (the straight best friend) was the most attractive one in the cast, even if he had a bit of a paunch. I kind of wished he’d been cast as Bruno instead.

by Anonymousreply 30December 11, 2022 11:28 PM

No gringo?

by Anonymousreply 31December 11, 2022 11:31 PM

Smiley's People was very good too.

by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2022 11:36 PM

[Quote] I kind of wished he’d been cast as Bruno instead

Then it would be really hard to say he’s supposed to be unattractive

by Anonymousreply 33December 11, 2022 11:54 PM

^he had a paunch- that’s TV code for unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 34December 12, 2022 12:19 AM

I had trouble with Bruno supposedly being a less attractive nerd as well, that actor is incredibly handsome! Just my type. But then so is Carlos.

I just finished watching this and I loved it, but yeah, there was too many side-characters, I just wanted to watch Bruno and Alex together flirting, insulting each other, fighting and fucking for eight episodes. Carlos and Miki have so much chemistry! I really hope there is a second series were we get to see more of them together.

by Anonymousreply 35December 12, 2022 7:24 AM

R25. Is he?! That's highly surprising to me.

I thought he was at least bi or gay. He always has pretty good chemistry with most of his male costars and, frankly, he's less convincing with women.

by Anonymousreply 36December 12, 2022 7:33 AM

I don't get the idea that Bruno is supposed to be unattractive. He's tall and strapping. I like him better than Carlos, who's the typical muscle boy.

by Anonymousreply 37December 12, 2022 8:05 PM

When Carlos smiles.... *swoons*

by Anonymousreply 38December 12, 2022 8:40 PM

Boring, plus it's dubbed not in its original language.

by Anonymousreply 39December 12, 2022 9:34 PM

It is almost unbearably easy to watch thing on Netflix in their original language, with subtitles in the language of your choice.

Perhaps the boring is coming from INSIDE YOUR HOUSE!

by Anonymousreply 40December 12, 2022 10:17 PM

Carlos has nice titties.

by Anonymousreply 41December 12, 2022 10:31 PM

Carlos has nice EVERYTHING, as viewers of [italic]Merlí: Sapere Aude[/italic] know well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2022 10:35 PM

Bruno is adorable when he gets all lovey-dovey with his dog.

He's the total catch. Nice, tall, fit, great job, independent, has his own apartment, good with kids and animals.

I was completely confused by Alex's reaction when he sees Bruno, since he declared that he wants a change and isno longer looking for a muscle dude who treats him bad, but then sticks to his old habits.

by Anonymousreply 43December 12, 2022 11:12 PM

Impressed with the actors playing Alex and Bruno.

Surprisingly honest when they get down to expressing their true feelings.

And I find it so much more believable that they really do operate and express themselves differently - so the opposites attract thing is credible.

It’s a bit sitcom-y in places, but it makes it that much more poignant when they cut the crap and bare their souls - so, good writing for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 44December 12, 2022 11:25 PM

Someone enrage Billy Eichner by telling him, "Oh, I just loved that thing you made — Smiley."

by Anonymousreply 45December 12, 2022 11:29 PM

I don’t personally find Carlos Cuevas hot, but he’s proven himself to be a very talented actor in Merli and now this. He does have a smile that lights up the room.

I felt especially bad for Pokémon boyfriend. I guess giving him the manager position at the end was his consolation prize (though it really didn’t make much sense, IMO, after he had just recently quit on the spot). He’s probably going to make Bruno’s work life a living hell?

The fate of the lesbian couple was really sad. I will give the filmmakers credit for not giving everyone a romantic happy ending (assuming that was the series finale).

by Anonymousreply 46December 12, 2022 11:38 PM

This is the ad (at link) when Smiley was a play. The characters are pretty much the same age and not that different in looks (handsome or average looks).

In the Netflix series, the characters are supposed to be about the same age. Alex's social media profile indicates that he is 32, while Bruno is 35 years old.

But Carlos (who plays Alex) is actually 26 years old, and Miki (who plays Bruno) is 39 years old. It works for me fine that way, but I thought it was a bit interesting. If they were to make an English language version of this show, it would be hard to find actors who would do better than these two did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 12, 2022 11:41 PM

They talk way too fast

by Anonymousreply 48December 13, 2022 12:06 AM

[quote]I don’t get that Bruno is supposed to be ugly (or maybe just too old for Alex). He’s pretty cute

If I had a blind date and he looked like Bruno, I'd be smitten immediately.

Alex is pretty but also pretty generic.

I do like the butcher half of the lesbian couple; she feels real and reminds me of a couple of women I've known.

I'm two episodes in and plan to finish it this week. Nice show.

by Anonymousreply 49December 13, 2022 6:33 AM

R39 You know there's a language option, right? You can watch it in the original Spanish with subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 50December 13, 2022 7:35 AM

R46 Fun fact: the pokemon boyfriend has played gay before. There was a tv show from Asturias about 10 years ago, can't remember the name. But his character came out. It was very cute.

by Anonymousreply 51December 13, 2022 7:38 AM

[quote]They talk way too fast

Just imagine if it were in Andalucia rather than Barcelona.

by Anonymousreply 52December 13, 2022 8:56 AM

Vero will be better off without that needy mouse.

by Anonymousreply 53December 13, 2022 7:13 PM

But isn't the show kind of hinting that the relationship between Bruno and Alex is as doomed as the lesbian relationship? The Lesbians love each other, but they care too much about different things (Vero wants the job in Ibiza and Patricia is all in for the new apartment) and neither care for the other one's interests.

by Anonymousreply 54December 13, 2022 7:43 PM

I loved this series. I looked Pokémon up and was surprised to find out he’s older than Carlos and Miki (he’s 41!), he’s played Àlex in the stage version and he’s openly gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 14, 2022 7:09 AM

Even though “Smiley” has him looking kind of schlubby by design, I think the actor who plays the straight friend Albert is good-looking. He reminds me a bit of Con O’Neill.

by Anonymousreply 56December 14, 2022 12:00 PM

[quote] I looked Pokémon up and was surprised to find out he’s older than Carlos and Miki (he’s 41!), he’s played Àlex in the stage version and he’s openly gay.

Ramon Pujol is the -for me- sexy, shy architect with a shine for his colleague Bruno. You might also like... Fin de Siglo [End of the Century] a 2019 film by Argentine director Lucio Castro set in Barcelona in which Pujol plays a gay character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 14, 2022 1:13 PM

[quote] Vero will be better off without that needy mouse.

I agree. Patricia was my second least favorite character. Were we supposed to take her side after Vero outed her to her parents? She was kicking Vero out of her own apartment!

But my least favorite prize goes to Albert’s wife. The way she let her dad walk all over her husband (especially the thing about the painting)! I thought she treated him very badly.

by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2022 5:29 PM

Interesting how much of the music and the movie references are American

by Anonymousreply 59December 16, 2022 4:54 PM

This is a cute rom com but so much of it is predictable. I just knew the painting would get damaged. Of course the two guys would just miss each other on the street.

by Anonymousreply 60December 16, 2022 4:59 PM

Finished it last night and hope there's a Season 2.

I loved the way Smiley used the old rom-com and screwball comedy tropes with a wink to the audience. At the beginning I mostly was attracted to Bruno but by the end I was Albert all the way. The actor who played Álex really brought a lot of dimension to what could have been a generic muscleboy bartender type.

Can anyone recommend shows similar to this?

by Anonymousreply 61December 16, 2022 7:54 PM

I never realized how popular gin and tonics are in Spain. That was the only cocktail anyone ever ordered.

by Anonymousreply 62December 16, 2022 8:01 PM

R62 they also call it a “Gin Tonic” in Spain and it makes my eye twitch. I’m not sure I’d class it a cocktail but they do in Spain too. It’s considered fancy.

by Anonymousreply 63December 16, 2022 8:20 PM

R61 - not a TV show but it kind of reminded me of this Spanish film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 17, 2022 1:11 AM

The truth is Bruno only obsessed about Alex because he finally got a hot muscle boy interested in him. Handy that happened to us all? We have sex with a hot guy and then obsess about him like we’re in love. And Alex liked Bruno’s intellect and white collar job,

by Anonymousreply 65December 17, 2022 2:41 PM

Cuevas (Alex) is certainly a pretty young actor... with a sizzling hot body that he way too often flexes and poses for the camera. But he smiles way too much. Maybe it was a directorial decision - I mean the title and Cuevas does produce a radiant smile... but after a while I just wanted to slap him.

Bruno wasn't pretty, but had a face with character. I think it was realistic that Alex might be disappointed seeing him walk in the first time... his face and carriage didn't measure up to gay hotboy standards. And in the bedroom his unripped "normal" body contrasted against Alex's gym-addicted abs and cuts. But there did seem this connection of relentlessly-hot-fucking-possible energy between them. Sweet.

Several of the directorial choices made it more "movie" like than TV sitcom. The videos on the ads, the split screen. Intelligent rom-com with cultural observations: (the drag queen happy that somebody acknowledged his/her transvestite nature, not any of this gen-fluid trans stuff... could represent all the dusty DL posts against the New World).

Is Spain the most gay-friendly country in the world? Seems like it, eh? (I was in Madrid in September... so it's not just a media-driven guess). Who'd a thunk it? Catholic-Falangist Spain...

by Anonymousreply 66December 17, 2022 3:59 PM

[quote]Is Spain the most gay-friendly country in the world? Seems like it, eh? (I was in Madrid in September... so it's not just a media-driven guess). Who'd a thunk it? Catholic-Falangist Spain...

One of them, certainly. The various rankings consider different things, and often it's a checklist of legal rights or government info/promotional campaigns so the results shuffle around the same group of countries. But the friendly part, not just being friendly towards gays and lesbians or legal protections but the easy integration of gays and lesbians in families and circles of friends and daily life is the thing that impresses me.

by Anonymousreply 67December 17, 2022 11:24 PM

There's a bonus eldergay romance, and one of the eldergays is a fat and sassy drag queen. (Pedro Almdovar has a lot to answer for . . .)

Lots of weepy dyke drama. for the ladies to enjoy.

Eduardo Llovares plays Albert and is adorable, too.

Barcelona decorated for Christmas is dazzling.

by Anonymousreply 68December 18, 2022 12:13 AM

I like it. Some interesting takes on modern gay romance. Satisfying enjoyable binge. Funny in a less manufactured way than Uncouoled. With better leads. Made me start looking for flights to Barcelona.

by Anonymousreply 69December 18, 2022 1:46 AM

I enjoyed it, too, and I hope for a second season. What was interesting is how the show built tension by separating Alex and Bruno from each other from about episode 2 through 5 - it's their love story but the show kept them apart and built the desire they had for each other slowly. It was very well acted, too and I enjoyed the mix of characters, except for the elder bisexual returning sailor subplot. That was boring.

I don't know how Bruno was supposed to be considered to be not that attractive or why Alex listed himself as 32 on Grindr when the actor is in his mid-twenties and looks like he just stepped off the set of Teen Wolf. All the lesbian drama was very believable and the portrayal of gays and lesbians here shows how transnational such stereotypes and their realities really are.

by Anonymousreply 70December 18, 2022 2:04 AM

Is the tall, not-so-hot guy the top?

by Anonymousreply 71December 18, 2022 2:50 AM

R70 Same. Can't stand bi scum's scene.

by Anonymousreply 72December 18, 2022 5:52 AM

[quote]I never realized how popular gin and tonics are in Spain. That was the only cocktail anyone ever ordered.

The "gintonic," "gin-tonic" or "gin tonic" is very much the popular cocktail in a country where cocktails are not especially popular, R62. Most people drink wine or beer, and if they drink something stronger it's rarely not mixed with anything. There are cocktail bars and restaurants with (short) cocktail menus, but it's more a special thing. Gin-tonic bars are a little upscale, posh, and that's their specialty; you may be able to score another type of cocktail there, or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 18, 2022 6:09 AM

Do they show sexy intact Spanish pene in Smiley?

by Anonymousreply 74December 18, 2022 6:27 AM

R74 Not that I remember, just ass. They showed some great gay sex scenes though, not explicit, but explicit enough so you could tell who was the bottom and who was the top. Lets just say they would never show this on American tv. I especially liked that one sex scene where Alex had to cover the guy's mouth because he was moaning so much, lmao.

by Anonymousreply 75December 18, 2022 6:37 AM

^^I should watch, sounds entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 76December 18, 2022 6:53 AM

So who is the damn top, R75!

(I asked very, very nicely at R71.)

by Anonymousreply 77December 18, 2022 7:05 AM

[quote]Is the tall, not-so-hot guy the top?

So it seems, R77

by Anonymousreply 78December 18, 2022 7:11 AM

R77 I think he was the bottom, yes, but can't remember if he was a vers bottom with the other boyfriend, I think they switched at one point.

by Anonymousreply 79December 18, 2022 7:31 AM

R77 I mean, Alex, "the short one", is the bottom. I even think he said he was a vers bottom in one of the montages.

by Anonymousreply 80December 18, 2022 7:32 AM

This is the first gay-centric series that I actually like, it really surprised me. The characters are cool, and it managed to be conscious of the gay subculture without trying to get too much "representation points". I also agree that Bruno seems more handsome than Carlos. Albert is very cute too.

Well done, Spain!

by Anonymousreply 81December 18, 2022 10:31 AM

[quote]Is Spain the most gay-friendly country in the world? Seems like it, eh? (I was in Madrid in September... so it's not just a media-driven guess). Who'd a thunk it? Catholic-Falangist Spain...

Franco's regime made most of the people distance themselves from catholicism. In the 1980s, Spain was already having a big hit song about homosexuality:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 18, 2022 11:01 AM

It's a light and silly romantic comedy timed for holiday release, told in 35-minute segments, with at least a dozen significant characters and a nod or a few to 'Love, Actually,' and yet I was pleasantly surprised. The scenes of missed opportunities, bad timing, fretting over bad choices, the role of pure chance and chemistry over reason, and some big ̈́What ifs?' have some real pang to them, I thought. The families, natural and assembled, had a lot of truth to them despite some far-fetched situations...the little but not at all unimportant details were well handled for a breezy rom-com. Barcelona looked great.

And it succeeded in the way that Spanish TV and film often excels, in the development of characters, and making them a little complicated and dimensional, pulling out the attributes of a character who starts off as someone you might dislike or dismiss. Maybe you don't come to quite like every character, but you gain some appreciation of depth beyond a first impression.

by Anonymousreply 83December 18, 2022 11:37 AM

I was surprised by that little moment of Alex getting all choked up when hearing his dad's voice on the cassette tape. That was a nice touch by Carlos Cuevas.

by Anonymousreply 84December 18, 2022 11:44 AM

Fans of Carlos Cuevas can also watch him with Gay Icon Carmen Maura in SOMEONE HAS TO DIE streaming on Netflix. A Franco-era murder mystery set on a country estate. It's fab.

(Netflix's best Spanish and Argentinean fare is a rebuke to people who complain about how there's nothing good on Netflix).

by Anonymousreply 85December 18, 2022 12:01 PM

Totally agree with you about Netflix's commitment to Spanish content r85.

Just added Someone Has To Die to my list.

by Anonymousreply 86December 18, 2022 12:07 PM

r85, Someone has to die also features Ester Expósito from Elite, Alejandro Speitzer from The Club, Dark Desire, and Cecilia Suárez from the campiest gay Netflix show to date: La casa de las flores (well, other than Paquita Salas, of course).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87December 18, 2022 12:11 PM

Alex says he loves to get fucked but will top too

by Anonymousreply 88December 18, 2022 1:52 PM

Bruno has an enormous thick pene. Alex is, at his core, an insatiable bottom. When they first fucked Bruno hit (and kept hitting, throughout the night) Alex's g-spot like never before. Alex knows he needs Bruno to fill him with his massive dick again.

That's how the drama played out for me. Sweet, huh?

by Anonymousreply 89December 18, 2022 3:21 PM

R73...so true!! It's unbelievable how popular gin 'n tonics are in Spain.

Love this series, especially for its unflinching filming of gay sex.

Bruno's adorable. So is Carlos. Just finished the office Christmas party episode. And I just realized Albert's father-in-law was played by the guy who played the Director of the Treasury in Money Heist.

by Anonymousreply 90December 18, 2022 3:36 PM

I'm watching the first episode now. The younger guy is good looking but he's so SCENEY looking I don't find him appealing at all.

by Anonymousreply 91December 18, 2022 3:58 PM

Agree - my interpret ion is Bruno is a big dicked top and Alex is dickmatized. Which is why he changed his mind about his looks. A story as old as gay time.

by Anonymousreply 92December 18, 2022 4:16 PM

About GT, if you go the Basque Country (but also in many other parts), they will always offer you a GT after your meal.

by Anonymousreply 93December 18, 2022 5:43 PM

Agreed, R85, that 'Netflix's best Spanish and Argentinean fare is a rebuke to people who complain about how there's nothing good on Netflix." I will often start watching a film or series simply on the prospect that if it's a Spanish production, then it may be worth watching for some quality that doesn't jump out at me from the title or capsule description, and with rare exception I end up watching it in full.

Netflix has invested a lot in its Madrid-based film production studios in the last two or three years, including, with the pandemic, virtual production facilities like those used in '1899.' The Variety article is 1.5 years old, and further expansion has occurred after its publication. The larger Spanish-language market in the Americas is no small part of, of course, but Netflix Spain has produced some excellent things with popularity far beyond Spain and Spanish-speaking countries.

[quote]Netflix is doubling its studio capacity in Spain, growing its sound stages from five to 10 at its complex in Tres Cantos, just north of Madrid.

[quote]The U.S. streaming giant will also incorporate new post-production facilities, plus a filming lab and state-of-the-art editing suites. The expansion will be completed by the end of 2022, the U.S. streaming giant announced Thursday.

[quote] “We are proud to keep strengthening our commitment to Spain. With the new additions, creators will count with the latest tools to keep telling great stories made in Spain,” said Diego Ávalos, VP of original content at Netflix in Spain. Covering the next few months, the new project announcement suggested that Netflix has now achieved an unprecedented level of production in Spain that makes it one of the biggest investors in Spanish series and films in the country.

[quote] Netflix has released more than 50 titles made in Spain since 2016 and participated in more than 70 films from the time of its first original movie, “7 Years,” released in 2016. It has worked with over 35 independent production houses and has created 7,500 jobs for casts and crews.

[quote] This year’s current productions are expected to hire over 1,500 professionals and create over 21,000 days of work for extras, Netflix estimated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94December 19, 2022 11:41 AM

R94- I like that show set in Madrid about those four woman who are friends - Valeria.

I found the men on that show far hotter than any of the queens in Smiley.

by Anonymousreply 95December 19, 2022 2:37 PM

Any other foreign language gay films or series on Netflix that anyone especially enjoyed? This and House of Flowers have been my favorites, although the latter declined in quality in the later seasons.

by Anonymousreply 96December 19, 2022 9:04 PM

Other gay series on Netflix- I found "Smiley" because I had watch Carlos Cuevas (Alex) in "Merli: Sapere Aude." That show is not a rom-com like Smiley. It's more like the old Felicity tv series, but with a bisexual male first-year college student in the lead role. He's bisexual, but mostly has sex with guys.

This is the show where you find out that the kid (Cuevas) can really act and that he has excess onscreen charisma. In this series, the camera and everyone else is in love with him. And then we followed him over to "Smiley."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97December 19, 2022 9:47 PM

Why would that cute guy date that geriatric?

by Anonymousreply 98December 19, 2022 11:42 PM

If Alex is a top, then I'm Princess Michael of Kent.

by Anonymousreply 99December 20, 2022 10:57 AM

I think that was kind of a joke regarding Alex. The "I'm versatile" type who has his legs up in the air the moment the pants come off, and the hole is already lubed.

by Anonymousreply 100December 20, 2022 11:04 AM

R96 A show nobody has talked about is Tu No Eres Especial. It has a gay character as the gay BFF of the main character.

by Anonymousreply 101December 20, 2022 1:31 PM

R97 Thanks but I don't watch Catalan shows. Can't stand the language and I'm against Catalan independence. Will never watch that show. I only watch Spanish shows (as in from Spain) if they are in Spanish, as in Castellano/Español.

by Anonymousreply 102December 20, 2022 1:34 PM

R95 Not interested unless it has a gay character, and I'm guessing it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 103December 20, 2022 1:35 PM

R11, R14, R102: Is it true that you too hate the Catalán language and are opposed to it's use? That you "only watch Spanish shows (as in from Spain) if they are in Spanish, as in Castellano/Español"?

We should form a hard-liners club of one and spread the word!

by Anonymousreply 104December 20, 2022 3:02 PM

One of the best shows I've seen recently is Veneno, about the life of the Spanish trans TV personality. It's an amazing show!

Currently on HBO Max.

by Anonymousreply 105December 20, 2022 3:06 PM

Enjoyed "Queen" - Polish show on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 106December 20, 2022 3:10 PM

R102 ¡Loca! Who knew we had an anti-Catalan troll of all things! This is a thread for those who watch the show so…. Va!

by Anonymousreply 107December 20, 2022 7:36 PM

I checked out the first episode of "Someone Has to Die." From the Netflix description I thought it would be a period piece like "Murder on the Orient Express" or "Knives Out," but the first ep made it seem like a telenovela about closeted gay aristocrats under the Franco regime.

Does it eventually resolve into a murder mystery?

by Anonymousreply 108December 20, 2022 7:58 PM

[quote] Does it eventually resolve into a murder mystery?

I would say it's more like The White Lotus leading to some people's death. IMO it's filmed beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 109December 20, 2022 8:20 PM

For anyone who didn't know, Ramon (the Pokémon loving architect) played Alex in the original stage play version of Smiley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110December 21, 2022 3:41 AM

@ R97

The guy who plays Merli's son is fucken garjus.

by Anonymousreply 111December 21, 2022 10:19 AM

David Solans r111?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112December 21, 2022 10:33 AM

that's the guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113December 21, 2022 10:38 AM

Ay, carajo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114December 21, 2022 10:40 AM

Neither of them are attractive. Is the writing good enough to carry it? Seems very tropey and cliche to me in the preview.

by Anonymousreply 115December 21, 2022 12:23 PM

Two beautiful men and a fun movie, loved it

by Anonymousreply 116December 21, 2022 12:33 PM

I was surprised too, it was better acted, written and directed than I expected. I almost gave up on the first episode with the over the top intro speech, but when they meet and start fighting i got hooked. They had great chemistry, and you keep wanting to see more of them, which the series cleverlydelays to keep you watching.

There were too many side stories, but most of these were nice, i especially liked the lesbian who worked in the bar.

As many said, one if not the hottest guy was Albert, the straight friend. Ramon was cute as well, though he had an unfortunate role.

There were some corny moments, like thered thread and I didn’t like the beer speech, which was a weak metaphor. On the other hand, it integrated the references to romantic comedies very well. Even the grindr now usual troupes, if not original, worked better than most (Darren Star should take notes from this).

by Anonymousreply 117December 21, 2022 12:41 PM

I did not finish it. It is awful.

by Anonymousreply 118December 21, 2022 12:49 PM

It's great if you're in the mood for something light. Yes, it's super corny at times. Melodrama for sure. But it's a gay will they or won't they. Those are always corny.

I really enjoyed it. I just went into it with zero expectations.

by Anonymousreply 119January 1, 2023 9:27 AM

What I would give for Bruno to fuck me

by Anonymousreply 120January 1, 2023 3:38 PM

Carlos Cuevos has a big dick and he certainly exudes that BDE. I hope he shows more of his tool in Smiley season 2!!! I think he’s so cute.

by Anonymousreply 121January 1, 2023 5:11 PM

R121 it’s not porn

by Anonymousreply 122January 1, 2023 5:16 PM

Is there going to be a Smiley season 2?

by Anonymousreply 123January 1, 2023 10:48 PM

Not decided or announced yet, R123

by Anonymousreply 124January 1, 2023 11:05 PM

Where will it go in season 2

by Anonymousreply 125January 2, 2023 12:05 AM

Even smilier r125.

by Anonymousreply 126January 2, 2023 11:17 AM

For anyone who likes Spanish melodramatic sitcoms, but also prefers slightly older men/eye candy?

Check out Alpha Males. Four straight guy friends, all going through their own midlife crises, try and navigate middle age in our anti-macho times.

It's not great, but it has an actor named Fernando Gil who I not only want in my deeply, I want in me Mariana Trench deeply.

by Anonymousreply 127January 4, 2023 6:25 AM

Thank you to however recommended Merlin. I can’t get that scene with the highlighter out of my head!!!!

by Anonymousreply 128January 4, 2023 11:19 AM

[quote] recommended Merlin

Just to clarify, it's "Merli: Sapere Aude."

by Anonymousreply 129January 4, 2023 3:32 PM

"It tells the story of two mismatched gay men who kind of hate each other but can’t keep their hands off each other, either."

I think we've all been there. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 130January 4, 2023 4:25 PM

"Shmiley" ish a Shpanish comedy that made me shmile!

by Anonymousreply 131January 4, 2023 5:37 PM

[quote]Thank you to however recommended Merlin. I can’t get that scene with the highlighter out of my head!!!!

I just saw that episode last night. Carlos Cuevas certainly ... commits to his role.

by Anonymousreply 132January 4, 2023 9:06 PM

Is Carlos seriously not gay?! That’s a genuine surprise!

by Anonymousreply 133January 29, 2023 1:56 PM

R133 We actually don't know! He could be

by Anonymousreply 134January 29, 2023 3:17 PM

Bumping this thread is no surprise though, is it, bump bitch?

by Anonymousreply 135January 29, 2023 3:51 PM

I really enjoyed this. Yes, it embraces its share of cliches (and tortured metaphors) and has its Hallmark moments, but I enjoyed that it was about gay people, was even quite sexy in places and delivered the wish fulfillment we expect from these things.

Can’t see a second season. They spooled through all their stories.

by Anonymousreply 136February 21, 2023 5:16 PM

Carlos Cuevas did an interview stating that he had seen the play that is the basis for this show. That he has been friends with Miki Esparbé for years. Carlos also said doing the show with Miki Esparbé made it comfortable for him due to their friendship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 17, 2023 11:21 AM

Sometimes these gay films feel as strange to me as they would to a heterosexual. I guess I was never young, hot and sexually hedonistic.

by Anonymousreply 138March 17, 2023 11:29 AM

Enjoying him in Merli series on Netflix. Not the original Merli series (which I missed) but the spin-off, Merli: Sapere Aude (or something like that).

In it, he sleeps with everyone and there is the occasional hot scene. But it’s just enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 139March 18, 2023 5:46 PM

Carlos Cuevas. I am in love with him. Straight gay bi I don't care. Fell in love with him during the Merli series. SMILEY is cute and I agree that the other fellow is quite attractive, and I'd do him as well. But I want to marry Carlos even though I am old enough to be his...older..brother....

by Anonymousreply 140March 18, 2023 6:26 PM

Carlos oozes sex appeal. And the camera loves him.

by Anonymousreply 141March 19, 2023 8:07 PM

Amazing biceps, that Carlos. I couldn't take my eyes off them. Very hot pits when he raises his arms

by Anonymousreply 142March 24, 2023 3:25 PM

My man...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143April 10, 2023 8:44 PM

Confirmation of the expected news that there will not be a second season...

Smiley ' will not have a second season on Netflix . The LGTB series arrived on the platform last December, with great reception among the public and critics. However, the creator of 'Smiley' has revealed that he will not follow the story of Álex and Bruno , characters played by Carlos Cuevas and Miki Esparbé.

[quote]"I can already tell you that there won't be a second season of 'Smiley', but there will be other things that I can't say right now ”, revealed Guillem Clua in an interview on the radio program 'Aquí Catalunya' on SER Catalunya. [translated]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144May 3, 2023 1:27 AM

LGTB? Why is the T creeping up?

by Anonymousreply 145May 3, 2023 3:05 AM

In fairness, Smiley was about the two guys meeting and falling in love. It told its story in the first season.

Much as I enjoyed it, a second season would have been a different show.

It’s so American to keep keep shows alive far too long. I’d certainly have watched another season but it wouldn’t have been the same.

by Anonymousreply 146May 3, 2023 9:08 PM

Absolutely, R146. The story was told; but the American disease is that a story is never over if it enjoyed any kind of audience/success -- and unfortunately this same has spread elsewhere.

I always prefer short stories well told if quickly to a story milked.bone dry. Leave a high note, when they still want.more, etc, etc. and hope instead that the same people are afforded more opportunities for future projects.

by Anonymousreply 147May 3, 2023 9:32 PM

Most viewers crave comfort so stick with shows that are no longer delivering any joy. See: Grey’s Anatomy.

by Anonymousreply 148May 3, 2023 10:25 PM

So much classier in Europe where they ended the Doctor Who program back in the 1960s when William Hartnell's run playing the main character was over, eh?

by Anonymousreply 149May 4, 2023 6:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!