Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Memphis Group, any fans or collectors of these designs?

An acquired taste perhaps, but some of their ideas have remained popular and highly prized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 10, 2022 5:56 PM

Why does this genre have the Memphis name? Developed on Beale Street?

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2022 10:26 PM

That looks really cool, but if I buy it I can’t tell local queens who visit me what it is or they’ll go and sell it for meth…

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2022 10:29 PM

So much fun, so witty, I would love to have it all

by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2022 10:29 PM

Milan founded and inspired by the title of Bob Dylan's 'Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again' and some references to classical architecture, eg Egypt. The ultimate po-mo references.

by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2022 10:30 PM

Karl Lagerfeld a devotee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2022 10:31 PM

Influenced my own art subconsciously

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2022 10:32 PM

Bowie's collection, auctioned after his death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2022 10:34 PM

Influenced me completely

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2022 10:45 PM

Most guys on here would own this piece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2022 10:46 PM

Awesome, so funny, clever

by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2022 10:47 PM

R9 Nice cock!

by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2022 11:56 PM

Reminds me of a trapper keeper

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2022 3:00 AM

Memphis Group must be a gay man's thing. Tom Watkins, one-time manager for the Pet Shop Boys, was a collector

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2022 10:54 AM

We have a Sotsass vase, but it's a fairly low-key design - I would love more but the prices on that stuff are too much now

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2022 11:03 AM

The prices are insane.

I covet the Riviera chair. But not at these prices...for one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2022 11:05 AM

Bowie's son (the director Duncan Jones) has that iconic Carlton bookcase, he posted a photo on Twitter once with it in the background

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2022 11:24 AM

Can you remember if he had any books or objects on it? ^^^ The Carlton is more like a sculpture than a piece of furniture and putting it to its practical use would likely detract from its visual impact.

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2022 11:31 AM

The 'boxing ring' bed would have looked perfect in American Psycho's apartment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2022 11:38 AM

r17 - he did have books on it, that's what the photo was supposed to be of. I think he'd maybe written a book and he had copies of it piled on the shelves.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2022 11:46 AM

This stuff has always been expensive.

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2022 12:55 PM

It's all just plain ugly.

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2022 2:24 PM

You say "Memphis Group" and I think of one thing only - the shrewish Bette Midler character in Ruthless People.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2022 2:30 PM

Like most 80s design - ugly, pretentious and artificial. I’d rather buy a wood antique than this ugly ass crap. Always hated it - always will. Like Venturi architecture. Conceptual but not beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2022 5:15 PM

When I was a kid I assumed the sets of Ruthless People were production/construction design, rather than something purchased!

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2022 5:19 PM

Looking at these posts reminds me of the film "Ruthless People" with Bette Midler and Danny DeVito

If their house was not actual Memphis, it was a variation on it.

(Photo at link.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2022 5:25 PM

I thought everything was their stuff, r25. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2022 5:27 PM

It may well have been R26

I can only but imagine (I was one year old at the time) that the scene where DeVito struggles to find a position to sit in on the couch and winds up looking like a child in a giant chair did a whole lot to help kill off the trend.

Looking at it now, so much of it is very cool looking.. But in small doses - not sure I'd want that Ruthless People room.

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2022 5:32 PM

Studying Art History and Design in college in the 80s I fell in love with Memphis and wrote a big paper about it. I really thought it would become a major movement, an equivalent to the emergence of Art Nouveau in the 19th Century. I was able to speak so eloquently and enthusiastically about it during my interview for an internship in the Met that I got placed in the Department of 20th Century Design and Architecture.

In the end it really was just about Sottsass with his iconic Casablanca Sideboard and glass works, which I think will be it’s strongest legacy. As noted above it instantly became mocked in movies like Ruthless People and Beetlejuice. If I recall correctly, even before the end of the 20th Century a Memphis designed room from an Upper East Side apartment was torn out and given to the Brooklyn Museum and remains in storage, but unlikely to ever be installed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2022 5:33 PM

Devito is an unfair comparison, he is not even five feet tall! 😂

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2022 5:38 PM

I think it's cool - like De Stijl, it reminds me of the preschool I went to in the 1970s, or the PBS children's programming of that era. There's something very childlike and playful about it. But I don't know how much of it I'd really want to own (especially for the prices). When it comes down to it I really just want an ordinary, functional bookshelf and comfortable furniture.

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2022 5:42 PM

"I’d rather buy a wood antique",

That's quite a broad remit R23, given that an antique is considered anything over a century old.

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2022 5:46 PM

I have 2 chairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2022 5:46 PM

This is from 2018, I wonder what the fate of this has become?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2022 5:46 PM

Cartoon furniture for plastic people

by Anonymousreply 34December 10, 2022 5:47 PM

r33 Often have I wondered whether Steve Gold is willing to put out in order to land a listing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 10, 2022 5:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!