Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wes Anderson names the 10 Best Movies ever made!

La Grande Illusion (Jean Renoir, 1937)

Quai des Orfèvres (Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1947)

The Earrings of Madame de… (Max Ophüls, 1953)

Vivre Sa Vie (Jean-Luc Godard, 1962)

The Man Who Loved Women (François Truffaut, 1977)

Loulou (Maurice Pialat, 1980)

Vagabond (Agnès Varda, 1985)

Olivier, Olivier (Agnieszka Holland, 1992)

It All Starts Today (Bertrand Tavernier, 1999)

Kings and Queen (Arnaud Desplechin, 2004)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 12, 2022 8:56 AM

What a pretentious fuck.

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2022 3:06 PM

A great serious list from a great filmmaker - go cry into your mothballed screenplay pile, OP

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2022 3:10 PM

Hi Wes!

by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2022 3:13 PM

I love most of those films, but his work still (generally) fails to resonate with me.

by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2022 3:14 PM

Too bad his movie are among the worst

by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2022 3:19 PM

Shit list.

by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2022 3:27 PM

This could be a list for “Ten Movies Most People Have Never Seen and will Never See”

by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2022 3:46 PM

Anderson adores French cinema and lives in Paris, so the list feels authentic to him. That's more than you can say than many of the voters who took part in the Sight & Sound poll, which is why there's been so much of an uproar over it.

Look at Adam McKay's. There is no way that he believes Jeanne Dielman is one of the greatest films ever made alongside Office Space and Kung Fu Hustle. As a director, he shows no affinity for Slow Cinema; in fact, his films practically bristle with contempt for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2022 3:56 PM

It's one thing to "adore French cinema" but it's something else to put only French films on your all-time top 10. This is not a serious list.

by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2022 4:04 PM

R9 So true! Not one single American film? Really? No Tarkovsky, no Ingmar Bergman, no Fellini? Very hard to believe that this is a serious list even as a snob.

by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2022 4:07 PM

Smell her.

No, I mean it.

You can smell her.

by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2022 4:14 PM

Why is he pretentious for liking French movies? He lives in France and those movies are a clear influence on his work. He’s basically Jacques Tati for the 21st century.

Of course to the unwashed moronic queens of DL, it’s pretentious to have any sort of genuine interest in something that’s not extremely commercial slop.

by Anonymousreply 12December 9, 2022 4:16 PM

R12 Are you familiar with film at all? This list is just absurd as the '10 best movies ever made' no matter how you look at it (except from his bizarre France-only view).

by Anonymousreply 13December 9, 2022 4:18 PM

Yet he dresses like Will Robinson from “Lost in Space”.

by Anonymousreply 14December 9, 2022 4:20 PM

R13 I think these lists are the director’s PERSONAL top ten movies of all time, not some objective list attempt, you clod. Such a concept is impossible.

I believe these 10 movies are what Anderson himself has been influenced by. Having myself seen all of them, I think it makes sense and I see their influence greatly in his work.

by Anonymousreply 15December 9, 2022 4:21 PM

I love French films, pretentious boring French films. I love French films, one ticket s’il vous plait!

by Anonymousreply 16December 9, 2022 4:24 PM

R10, do you really believe that Wes Anderson, of all people, would put a Tarkovsky film on his list? Even if he broadened his horizons beyond French films, there is no way that something like Andrei Rublev would be a Wes Anderson favorite.

by Anonymousreply 17December 9, 2022 4:25 PM

R7 “Ten Great French Movies Most Cretins in Flyoverstan Have Never Seen and Will Never See”

by Anonymousreply 18December 9, 2022 4:26 PM

R17 When he was taking part in a poll that asked about the best films ever made and not his personal favourites, I would surely think so. It's such an insular and selfish way of looking at cinema.

by Anonymousreply 19December 9, 2022 4:26 PM

[quote[[R7] “Ten Great French Movies Most Cretins in Flyoverstan Have Never Seen and Will Never See” —fixed it for you

Even the majority of cinephiles would agree that this is a terrible top 10 list.

by Anonymousreply 20December 9, 2022 4:28 PM

At least the American masters like Spielberg and Cameron should rank somewhere in his bottom half!

by Anonymousreply 21December 9, 2022 4:28 PM

I agree with R1.

by Anonymousreply 22December 9, 2022 4:33 PM

Wes Anderson's films are entertaining but the essence of twee.

by Anonymousreply 23December 9, 2022 4:34 PM

What a fraud he is! No mention of Harold and Maude which is his prime influence in filmmaking? Anderson has made how many variations of Harold and Maude? He even dresses like a modern day version of Harold. All fucking French films? What an elitist,pretentious and silly cunt he is.

by Anonymousreply 24December 9, 2022 4:47 PM

In addition:

No Kurosawa.

No Polanski.

No Kubrick.

No Hitchcock.

No Lean.

No Antonioni.

No Spielberg, Scott, Campion, Dreyer, Coppola, Scorsese, Ozu.... etc. V. hard to take seriously.

by Anonymousreply 25December 9, 2022 4:53 PM

R20 Yes its a very individual TOP TEN, but most cinephiles have seen at least the first five as well as the Varda. And they are great films, if not THE BEST films.

by Anonymousreply 26December 9, 2022 4:55 PM

R26 They are not the best films.

by Anonymousreply 27December 9, 2022 4:55 PM

I just agreed on that point. Reading skills?

by Anonymousreply 28December 9, 2022 4:57 PM

Good list. Not great, but definitely not for your average moviegoer (middlebrow, parochial, etc)

by Anonymousreply 29December 9, 2022 4:57 PM

R26 and R29 How come other great/successful directors don't seem to agree that they are the best movies? Anderson seems alone on this.

by Anonymousreply 30December 9, 2022 4:58 PM

[quote]middlebrow, parochial

You'd call Kurosawa, Antonioni, Bergman, Fellini 'middlebrow, parochial' tastes?

by Anonymousreply 31December 9, 2022 5:01 PM

R19, you're essentially asking Wes Anderson to substitute everyone else's judgment for his own. There has to be some accounting for personal taste, and if Wes Anderson has no affinity for a filmmaker like Tarkovsky (and from the movies Anderson makes, it's safe to say he does not), he shouldn't be obligated to put him on the list.

I think Anderson's list is insular (he himself admitted it), but if it doesn't include at least some degree of subjectivity it's a pointless exercise. It would really be asking "What do you think other people think are the greatest movies of all time?"

by Anonymousreply 32December 9, 2022 5:05 PM

I would certainly personally put at least a few non-French movies on my list regardless. This has just proven to me that Wes Anderson is not one of the true greats of cinema and never will be. He'll be forgotten within a century or even a few decades.

by Anonymousreply 33December 9, 2022 5:09 PM

Pour l'amour de Dieu, we all agree Anderson deliberately played provocateur and listed 10 movies, all French, which are no longer on the most Top Ten Greatest Films lists. They are great movies he listed. It's not particularly pretentious. R7 names them the “Ten Movies Most People Have Never Seen and will Never See” and that is certainly true. BUT, most people have never seen many of the movies that DO end up on the cumulative annual list. HERE:

Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (Chantal Akerman, 1975)

Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958)

Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941)

Tokyo Story (Yasujiro Ozu, 1953)

In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2001)

2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)

Beau travail (Claire Denis, 1998)

Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001)

Man with a Movie Camera (Dziga Vertov,1929)

Singin’ in the Rain (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1951)

"Most people" in the world have seen none of this movies.

Most flyoverstan self-styled "cinephiles" have not seen the two French films on that list.

That new 2022 list sucks. It's TOTALLY a woke points list. Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, is NOT the greatest film ever made. Beau Travail is their for woke points, as well. Absurde.

by Anonymousreply 34December 9, 2022 5:13 PM

is there... typos galore . pardon!

by Anonymousreply 35December 9, 2022 5:14 PM

[quote]Absurde.

[quote]is there... typos galore . pardon!

You sound like a stupid and pretentious parody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 9, 2022 5:18 PM

Because everything French must be pretentious?

by Anonymousreply 37December 9, 2022 5:21 PM

I agree with La Grande Illusion, it's a wonderful film. I wouldn't include the others, although many are fine films.

by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2022 5:22 PM

R37 When you're randomly dropping bits of French language in an English-language forum, yeah, you look stupid and as if you're trying to be pretentious. It's just the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 39December 9, 2022 5:23 PM

R34, I think there's a genuine love for Beau Travail, so I don't think it's only there to be woke, even though diversity and inclusion were the top priority of the listmakers.

But the excruciating Jeanne Dielman is indefensible.

by Anonymousreply 40December 9, 2022 5:25 PM

R39 Dropping French words in a thread about a English language director who lists only French films, and is accused of being pretentious? Are you blind to satire?

by Anonymousreply 41December 9, 2022 5:55 PM

R41 I'm pretty sure it wasn't satire.

by Anonymousreply 42December 9, 2022 5:56 PM

Wes Anderson’s films are too twee and corny and pretentious for me.

Woody Allen films show some of the same eccentric NYC “no visible source of income” types but he skewers them like they deserve. And shows all the disasters that trail in their wake.

by Anonymousreply 43December 9, 2022 5:58 PM

God forbid I put ONE American movie on this list!

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2022 5:59 PM

I'm pretty sure you can only do superficial bitchy reads of everything R42. Tant pis.

by Anonymousreply 45December 9, 2022 6:00 PM

R45 And you can only endorse top 10 lists consisting of only French films. Which is not at all convincing to true cinephiles.

by Anonymousreply 46December 9, 2022 6:02 PM

I didn't endorse it. Again, reading skills?

by Anonymousreply 47December 9, 2022 6:03 PM

I’m quirky! Get it?

by Anonymousreply 48December 9, 2022 6:05 PM

I love him and I haven’t seen any of these movies—mainly because I’m lazy and don’t like subtitles. But I’m going to given them a try. Maybe we should launch a DL pretentious movie club for motivation. I’d like to expand my movie horizons.

by Anonymousreply 49December 9, 2022 6:08 PM

R49 Don't, all of those films are deathly dated and boring.

by Anonymousreply 50December 9, 2022 6:10 PM

His own work is little too precious and twee for me, but I’ll check out some of the films he listed.

He clearly loves cinema.

by Anonymousreply 51December 9, 2022 6:15 PM

Quai des Orfèvres is one I have never seen but have always wanted to see.

I'm old enough to remember the Olivier, Olivier trailer, because it was showing in a limited run here in town when it finally made it to the States, and I thought it looked dumb as hell. I laughed when I saw it on this list. Has it ever made anyone's list of favorites before? Ever?

by Anonymousreply 52December 9, 2022 6:24 PM

Oh la la la la la la!

by Anonymousreply 53December 9, 2022 7:17 PM

The reason I love french cinema so much is the stories. I don’t think it’s such a pretentious list at all, just someone who appreciates real stories.

by Anonymousreply 54December 11, 2022 6:25 AM

Hey guys, fuck Black Adam, let's go see Quai des Orfèvres!!!

by Anonymousreply 55December 11, 2022 6:30 AM

R54 There are no real stories in other cinema?

by Anonymousreply 56December 11, 2022 6:31 AM

Truffaut and Godard themselves would probably laugh at this list.

by Anonymousreply 57December 11, 2022 6:32 AM

Would it have killed him to have added...

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken?

Munster Go Home?

What's So Bad About Feeling Good?

You know, fun movies!

by Anonymousreply 58December 11, 2022 7:26 AM

But they're not French, R58 :'-(

by Anonymousreply 59December 11, 2022 7:29 AM

Is he transitioning?

by Anonymousreply 60December 11, 2022 7:33 AM

For me, Clouzot's "The Wages of Fear" is much more memorable than "Quai des Orfèvres," which is a pretty standard thriller, no greater than many other French, British, and American movies of that genre and period.

by Anonymousreply 61December 11, 2022 7:49 AM

No Red Balloon?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 11, 2022 3:14 PM

Being a big Wes Anderson fan is a red flag.

by Anonymousreply 63December 11, 2022 4:46 PM

Are orfèvres as good as hors d'overes?

by Anonymousreply 64December 11, 2022 7:51 PM

R64 yes but not as tasty as ortolans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 11, 2022 8:09 PM

I think often the directors also want to highlight some less obvious movies.

by Anonymousreply 66December 12, 2022 8:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!