Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Leslie Gore

I love her recordings, but if you go on YouTube and listen to her singing live (especially later in life), she did not have a great voice.

But again—her recordings are a delight.

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2022 11:50 AM

She raised an amazing son who should've been president.

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2022 12:37 AM

[quote]but if you go on YouTube and listen to her singing live

don't bother posting one or two -

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2022 12:39 AM

[quote] don't bother posting one or two -

I would never. Stop being so lazy.

by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2022 12:40 AM

It’s Judy’s Turn to Not Put Up with Any Shit!

by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2022 12:43 AM

Here you go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2022 12:46 AM

The recording

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2022 12:46 AM

Wow!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2022 12:48 AM

Marlo Thomas herself would be jealous of Leslie's fabulous flip!

Plus she's a syster!

by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2022 12:51 AM

I don't think she's that bad live.

by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2022 12:52 AM

She was singing live here and it's pretty damn good. And remember, she was only 17 or 18.

Watch this if you want to smile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2022 12:55 AM

Yikes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2022 1:12 AM

Her final album was lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 9, 2022 1:18 AM

[quote]Leslie

Oh, dear.

Oh, and I love Lesley's voice. I didn't think of it in these terms then, but I suppose she was my first diva. I bought all her records, starting in the summer of 1963. My parents bought me both of her albums when they gave me a stereo that Christmas.

I didn't do the towel wig/hairbrush mike thing, though, until I discovered Sonny and Cher in the summer of 1965.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 9, 2022 1:29 AM

On her studio recordings her vocals were usually double tracked and drenched in echo which creates a unique sound. Not saying she wasn't a capable singer. Double tracking was done to "fatten" a singer's voice. Annette Funicello's recordings used the same technique. The 60s was kind of the beginning of the studio-created singer. Here's a recording of You don't Own Me with just her single voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 9, 2022 1:35 AM

Fuck you Judy!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 9, 2022 5:49 AM

FUN FACT: It's My Party was recorded on the day I was born...in fact it could have been the moment I was born as it was recorded in the afternoon and I was born in the afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 16December 9, 2022 6:16 AM

"I'm a newborn and I'll cry if I want to..."

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2022 11:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!