Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

lyocell vs modal sheets

What, exactly, is it that makes lyocell different from modal? And more importantly, what exactly do bamboo and eucalyptus have in common that's distinct from modal and rayon to get THEM both lumped together as 'lyocell' fabrics?

More importantly... which one, possibly when combined with cotton, makes nicer sheets that are the softest, most hygroscopic, and cool?

~15 years ago, I bought two sets of sheets from Target that were 60% cotton/40% modal. They were the greatest sheets I've ever owned.

~13 years ago, I bought a set of "modal" sheets from Bed, Bath & Beyond that ultimately kind of sucked. They were too stretchy (vs the original two sets, which were not), and never quite felt either as soft or as hygroscopic as the Target sheets.

2 years ago, I bought a set of cotton-lyocell sheets from Ikea (I don't remember which of the two it was... one was 40-60, one was 60-40... I bought the set that was ~$5 cheaper), but they were another huge disappointment because they just aren't soft. At all. And the way Ikea skimped on the fold-over edge trim just feels... cheap.

For years, I've desperately tried to find new sheets that are exactly like the ones I got from Target. The problem is, aside from knowing that they were 60/40 cotton-modal and non-stretchy, I really don't know how to describe them... or what to even search for when looking online for replacements. Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2022 5:44 AM

Buy Egyptian Cotton you uncultured swine.

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2022 12:36 AM

Purchase percale sheets. Nice crisp, sturdy sheeting.

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2022 12:37 AM

Well, after a few more hours of searching, I stumbled over something that's potentially even better: lyocell FLANNEL!

The softness of flannel, with the hygroscopic properties of lyocell. They're the most expensive sheets I've ever bought in my life, but fuck it. I literally came up with the hypothetical idea of using lyocell/modal/bamboo + cotton to make flannel, then hit the jackpot while searching to see whether it actually existed. Obviously, it does 😎

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2022 5:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!