Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I was stalked around a store today by rude staff members. Should I write a bad review or forget about it?

This store has nice stuff, but the atmosphere in there is incredibly uncomfortable. The staff have staring problems and literally follow around customers to make sure they’re not shoplifting. Browsing is awkward when there’s a staff member stalking you from aisle to aisle. I went in there today to buy a wall decoration, and a staff member immediately trailed after me and stood near a shelf at the end of the aisle, when I moved to a different aisle, he followed.

It’s not just me they stare at—they’re five of them in this small store and they follow and watch pretty much anyone who enters, regardless of age, behaviour, or how they’re dressed. I’ve only been to this store about three or four times in my life and have never once shoplifted, but the staring always happened. My behaviour isn’t suspicious. The staff need to realize that they’re being incredibly rude and it’s scaring off customers. If they’re worried about shoplifting, then they should invest in security monitors instead of stalking customers. A few items caught my attention today, but I decided not to because I couldn’t stand being stared at while trying to decide what to buy. The staring is the reason I won’t go back.

This is a homeware store, and it also sells tacky, glittery ornaments (which admittedly, I like) I googled the store and it has no reviews. I was going to write a review (complaining about the staring) but feel bad because then their only review will be a bad one. Should I still do it, or let it go?

I already wrote a scathing review a few months back for a dental clinic who tried to sell me yellow veneers and fillings I didn’t need. I didn’t feel bad about that because the dental clinic was in an affluent part of town, and losing a patient or two wouldn’t affect them. However, I feel bad about the homeware store because it’s in a trashy part of town, and the owners are Asian/Arab immigrants, and don’t seem rich like dentists. They’re probably paranoid about shoplifting because attempts happen a lot? (This isn’t one of their products, it’s just an example of the kind of stuff they sell)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 9, 2022 8:00 PM

why not name the store OP?

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2022 12:02 AM

They were clearly profiling you due to your colour OP. Lodge a complaint about the store with the Human Rights Commission.

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2022 12:03 AM

Are you white? If so, get over it. If not, sue them.

by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2022 12:06 AM

R2 I'm white and so was every other customer.

by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2022 12:06 AM

[quote] The staring is the reason I won’t go back.

Once you shop black, they don’t want you back.

by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2022 12:06 AM

Op go ahead and be a mean ass bitch sitting on her laptop crushing a small business

by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2022 12:06 AM

R1 It's not a well-known chain. I don't want to dox anybody.

by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2022 12:07 AM

If you try to buy department store/mid-high end perfume or cosmetics in an actual brick-and-mortar these days, you get the Pretty Woman treatment. No wonder everyone just orders from Sephora.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2022 12:08 AM

Mild annoyance = a scorched earth review. Yes, totally normal.

by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2022 12:08 AM

OP is a thief and a shitkicker.

by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2022 12:08 AM

Go to war!

by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2022 12:09 AM

So Goodwill is on to the OP, AKA "Petunia the Pinch," the Hoarder Whore of Harlot Street.

by Anonymousreply 12December 9, 2022 12:09 AM

3 French Hens?

by Anonymousreply 13December 9, 2022 12:10 AM

A day ending in “y” for us black person.

by Anonymousreply 14December 9, 2022 12:16 AM

I had the same experience in Walgreens once. Homeless people were plentiful in the parking lot. So I wasn't surprised. But to be honest. The only things I would be tempted to shoplift are in the candy aisle.

by Anonymousreply 15December 9, 2022 12:21 AM

I forgot to mention that this store doesn't have a website for online shopping. All they have to offer is the in-store stalking experience.

by Anonymousreply 16December 9, 2022 12:22 AM

In Hawaii, that is very common for black people when they enter a store. And it is so overt. Not subtle. So wrong. So hateful.

The things they don’t tell you in the travel brochures.

by Anonymousreply 17December 9, 2022 12:26 AM

OP I wouldn't bother with a bad review but there should definitely be a way for you to communicate the issue to them. Maybe the staff have been threatened that anything stolen comes out of their wages?

by Anonymousreply 18December 9, 2022 12:27 AM

“Slightly” my ass, R15. YTF.

by Anonymousreply 19December 9, 2022 12:30 AM

Isn't that better than being ignored by salespeople chatting or on their phones?

by Anonymousreply 20December 9, 2022 12:33 AM

I don’t think a bad review would impact them terribly. There can’t be THAT many stores selling glittered covered pitbull statues. If you’re looking for that type of thing, it’s likely the only place to shop.

by Anonymousreply 21December 9, 2022 12:35 AM

I am aghast at how some people behave in stores so completely understand staff being watchful. It's their store, not your home.

by Anonymousreply 22December 9, 2022 12:42 AM

Who is doing the profiling in Hawaii? Whites?

by Anonymousreply 23December 9, 2022 12:44 AM

Go back tomorrow and pull a Julia Roberts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 9, 2022 12:47 AM

Send them a gentle letter spelling out how you felt uncomfortable being stared at while you were shopping. You felt the need to go elsewhere. Kindly suggest they evaluate other options to track shoppers in their store. Mirrors, perhaps? An obvious security camera? Tell them you'll return to the store sometime in the future, and do it.

If things haven't changed, you'll know never to go there again.

by Anonymousreply 25December 9, 2022 12:48 AM

Extremely common for blacks. Don't take it personal.

by Anonymousreply 26December 9, 2022 12:52 AM

That was me at Pier One.

by Anonymousreply 27December 9, 2022 12:52 AM

OP was juggling Faberge eggs.

by Anonymousreply 28December 9, 2022 12:54 AM

While the sales clerk was following you around, you should have engaged with him / her. Ask where things were (even if it was something you had no interest in), let them feel useful. If it's a guy watching you and he's somewhat attractive - ask him out. He may get offended and finally leave you alone.

by Anonymousreply 29December 9, 2022 1:00 AM

Are you DL white or one of the groups DL does not consider white, e.g. Italian? Are you Eurasian looking or vaguely indigenous looking, e.g. Keanu Reeves? Can't be too cared by DL standards.

by Anonymousreply 30December 9, 2022 1:04 AM

^ too careful

by Anonymousreply 31December 9, 2022 1:07 AM

You should have handed them the basket and said "I'm so glad I have a personal shopper! Come with me!"

by Anonymousreply 32December 9, 2022 1:08 AM

R30 I look like a plain Celtic man (reddish-blond hair, pale skin, innocently dressed)

by Anonymousreply 33December 9, 2022 1:12 AM

I was followed around by undercover security in a store I regularly shop once, I don't steal so I found it amusing. If it bothers you OP then don't shop there, I am fine with just about anything they want to do to stop stealing as it keeps their overhead down and prices lower.

by Anonymousreply 34December 9, 2022 1:12 AM

Probably just selecting their next white slavery target, OP.

by Anonymousreply 35December 9, 2022 1:22 AM

Lunch and a shopping afternoon in London with my dear friend the Princess of Jaipur was ruined when we were stalked around Harvey Nichols.

by Anonymousreply 36December 9, 2022 1:32 AM

[quote]A day ending in “y” for us black person.

That charter school and going to summer school every year was wasted on you, wasn't it, Sapphire?

You owe us for all those free breakfasts and lunches.

by Anonymousreply 37December 9, 2022 1:42 AM

I was stalked around a Jos. A. Bank by a Russian saleslady (both of us were slumming) who insisted on standing right next to me as I sifted through the sweaters looking for my size. She wasn’t helping, just watching. I’m usually pretty meek in these situations but I raised my voice and told her to back off.

by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2022 1:51 AM

I was just wondering how high sweater sizes go.

by Anonymousreply 39December 9, 2022 1:53 AM

OP, I hope those two golden dogs are not your idea of “nice stuff”.

by Anonymousreply 40December 9, 2022 1:55 AM

The heart wants what it wants r40.

by Anonymousreply 41December 9, 2022 1:56 AM

Shoot! If I'm in a store where a good-looking man is working, I ASK for his help. I keep him as occupied as I can, without being obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 42December 9, 2022 1:56 AM

Does OP seem a little ... off to anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 43December 9, 2022 1:57 AM

If a salesperson hovers over me I tell them that if they’re going to just stand there doing nothing they could make themselves useful and get me a Diet Coke and an ashtray.

They normally get the hint and occasionally it gets you a free Diet Coke.

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2022 2:00 AM

He raises more questions than he answers r43.

by Anonymousreply 45December 9, 2022 2:01 AM

R43 In what way?

by Anonymousreply 46December 9, 2022 2:01 AM

Maybe once you buy something and become a regular customer they will know to trust you.

by Anonymousreply 47December 9, 2022 2:04 AM

R40 They have have stuff like this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 9, 2022 2:04 AM

Another sort of shopping experience: I met a guy at Jos. A. Bank below Dupont Circle many years ago when we grabbed for the same sweater (both size 38). We decided it looked better on me, and we chose something else for him. We stayed together for about a year, and then he moved away with his job. We weren't in love, but we liked each other a lot, in bed and out.

He got sick; the last time I saw him, we ran into each other on 17th Street. He had that crater face look. Otherwise, I'd have invited him over for a nice afternoon spent licking and sucking each other's parts. Shortly thereafter, he died. I still have the sweater. I don't want to let it go. RIP, Van.

by Anonymousreply 49December 9, 2022 2:04 AM

R38 - then what happened?

by Anonymousreply 50December 9, 2022 2:04 AM

R47 I've bought things there in the past. Nothing expensive, just stickers, plates and vases.

by Anonymousreply 51December 9, 2022 2:05 AM

You buy stickers and vases?

by Anonymousreply 52December 9, 2022 2:07 AM

R49 What kind of sick?

by Anonymousreply 53December 9, 2022 2:08 AM

R52 Yes. This store has a huge selection of glittery stickers, mostly of butterflies and small animals.

by Anonymousreply 54December 9, 2022 2:10 AM

Bubonic Plague, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 55December 9, 2022 2:10 AM

R33 Innocently dressed. That's the problem. Next time, wear seatless chaps, a leather vest with nothing under it, motorcycle boots.

by Anonymousreply 56December 9, 2022 2:15 AM

This sounds like a cheap Asian store in a dying mall.

by Anonymousreply 57December 9, 2022 2:32 AM

OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 9, 2022 2:32 AM

Probably some homophobia going on here. Don't know why else they would follow OP around store.

by Anonymousreply 59December 9, 2022 2:34 AM

Apparently they follow everybody around r59. Somebody wants some mussy.

by Anonymousreply 60December 9, 2022 2:36 AM

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

by Anonymousreply 61December 9, 2022 2:36 AM

Where do you put the glitter butterfly stickers? On the vases? How old are you?

by Anonymousreply 62December 9, 2022 8:31 AM

Just go somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 63December 9, 2022 8:37 AM

Were you shopping for a vibrator, OP? Women with big gunt always look suspicious there.

by Anonymousreply 64December 9, 2022 8:44 AM

pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 9, 2022 8:53 AM

No wonder she was followed around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 9, 2022 9:02 AM

R62 I put them on the fridge, on notebooks, on my laptop, around the mirror in the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 67December 9, 2022 9:02 AM

OP is that deranged tranny who steals women's luggage at random airports.

by Anonymousreply 68December 9, 2022 9:56 AM

It used to bother the FUCK outta me when I was much younger. Being a Black in Texas, it's just a thing I grew up with. I've even had people apologize because I was...confrontational about it. "I KNOWWWW you ain't following ME. Up in here?! I wish I would! " type of shit.

I was also VERY naive and lacked perspective. I think what really bothered me was their lack of being subtle about it.

NOW, it gives me a chuckle when I get followed by some "minimum-wage peon" whose mind would be blown if they knew how much I make. Looking the way I do,

Yes, it's narcissistic, BUT it also keeps me from losing my shit.

by Anonymousreply 69December 9, 2022 10:06 AM

I see it as part of the job description - they definitely rather gossip at the counter.

by Anonymousreply 70December 9, 2022 10:29 AM

OP = Sam Brinton

by Anonymousreply 71December 9, 2022 8:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!