Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How to elevate and upgrade your life the Non-Greg way

Learn how to make a soufflé. They're simple, versatile, impressive and (best of all) inexpensive. There's a James Beard recipe that should be kicking around the internet. Can't be arsed to type it all out.

If you have a patch of earth to call your own, a small garden plot can be a nice Zen exercise. Or not.

I've been told that being able to play a dozen or so tunes of the piano is a good skill to keep up your sleeve. The gentleman who imparted this to me was about 20 years old back in 1985. Maybe things have changed.

Assuming you care about such things, buy your holidays cards on sale...after the holiday. Then write them all out the first week of November. You can pop them in the post the first week of December. Again, that's assuming you care about such things.

Yarrow and lavender are durable and elegant flowers for graves.

If you obtain a Siamese cat you will either totally fall in love with the beast or detest it. Either way, no one you date afterward will be anywhere near as demanding. I'm not sure that's advice. But it seems good to know.

Inferior champagne is acceptable if properly chilled. If you drink. Maybe you don't.

Photographs of the dead are not to be lightly discarded, regardless of what you think of the people. Or think you think. It might change.

Realizing you're gay because the beautiful guy playing the piano at one of your mother's cocktail parties is suddenly the reason for your existence can be a wallop out of nowhere. Not sure what advice to give. If anyone has any ideas, share them in the comments.

When your Siamese cat dies you will feel terrible. Lay her to rest in the small garden plot. Light a candle. Make a soufflé and toast her with a glass of properly chilled champagne.

Or don't.

by Anonymousreply 10December 20, 2022 12:04 PM

Was our Greg actually the OP of that original (insufferable) thread about all-white bed linens, etc?

And here I thought codfish was his most egregious of crimes.

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2022 12:16 AM

R1, that was indeed Greg.

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2022 12:17 AM

[quote] Inferior champagne is acceptable if properly chilled.

Not burnt, though. Never burnt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2022 12:20 AM

What a soulful thread, OP. Clearly you are not Greg. And I care about all the things you mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2022 1:01 AM

Now we will have the naming of parts

In the fountain’s pink champagne

Imagine how they felt when they were invited

A pauper to a pawn on a Christmas Day

The snow falling faintly through the universe

For there can be no true beauty without some strangeness in the proportion

Emotionless and cold as ice

Butterflies may dread extinction

Red is the bloody sign of the times

The Dresden clock continued ticking on the mantlepiece

With a dead sound on the final stroke of nine

About, about, in reel and rout

I’ll do and do and do and do!

Lately they’ve been overheard in Mayfair

But shortly afterwards, the parrot died too

I thought I saw Lauren Bacall, I thought I saw Lauren Bacall

They’ve got that headlock, hip-rock, layabout group attitude

You’re all the things I’ve got to remember

Oh what I would give

To believe

In love again

I tell you now

The whole town

Is

Empty

by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2022 4:39 AM

Why don’t you… have an elk-hide trunk for the back of your car? Hermès of Paris will make this.”

“Why don’t you… rinse your blond child’s hair in dead champagne to keep it gold, as they do in France?”

“Why don’t you… put all your dogs in bright yellow collars and leads like all the dogs in Paris?”

by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2022 5:05 AM

There's a lady who thinks all that glitters is gold...

by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2022 5:08 AM

Of a beautiful winter's morning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2022 5:23 AM

Greg is dead, RIP

by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2022 5:48 AM

Resurrexit Sicut Dixit, R9!

by Anonymousreply 10December 20, 2022 12:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!