Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ClassicFM: 20 Greatest Piano Concertos

For the classical music lovers of DL, attached is a fun article on the twenty greatest piano concertos of all time.

While they are in particular order, I am curious what you think is the best?

I vote for Beethoven's titanic Piano Concerto No. 5, "The Emperor."

Rachmaninov's Second, Tchaikovsky's First, Brahms First and Second, Beethoven's Fourth, and Chopin's First I would put right after.

The worst, for me, is Bartok's Piano Concerto No. 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2022 11:57 PM

Each composer is unique, making it difficult to come up with a favorite. There are some that I feel are overplayed. For instance Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No2.

That Bartok concerto gives me conniption fits.

Sorry. I'm not a musician and wasn't a music major so I can't comment in the way you might be hoping for. I do love classical music, but beyond simply listening and enjoying, for the pure love of how it sounds and makes me feel, I'm a total layman.

by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2022 10:07 PM

I like Mozart's last eight piano concertos most, from 19 to 27. I like the last movement of 22 in particular.

I like whichever of Rachmaninoff's has the riff Eric Carmen stole for "All by Myself."

I listen to classical radio, and I am so tired of Beethoven's PCs, I don't want to hear another for ten years. I know they are great music, but I've heard them too often.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2022 11:09 PM

Prokofiev #3 is in a class by itself. I love Schumann’s piano concerto as well.

by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2022 12:14 AM

R3 Here. I posted before I even looked at the list and neither the Prokofiev nor the Schumann were included, but Shostakovich and Beethoven #3 made the list?!? WOW.

Anyway, here’s the final movement of the Prokofiev #3. It changed the whole concept of the piano concerto and is both revolutionary and accessible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2022 12:22 AM

[quote]I like whichever of Rachmaninoff's has the riff Eric Carmen stole for "All by Myself."

That would be Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2, in the 2nd movement.

Also, I feel that one is the best concerto overall, because the themes are memorable and there is virtually no filler or wasted time. A theme in the 3rd movement also spawned another popular song, "Full Moon and Empty Arms."

In Prokofiev's 2nd piano concerto, the crazy 5-minute piano cadenza in the 1st movement ends with the orchestra re-entering the score in one of the great moments in music - it feels like you are standing on a landslide.

by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2022 12:23 AM

I also like the Prokofiev #1 and the Barber Piano Concerto. I love all of the Bartok piano concertos. My favorite of all, though, is the Ginastera Piano Concerto - what an incredible piece!

by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2022 12:56 AM

R1 I am not a music major and cannot read music either.

by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2022 4:41 AM

Other great modern piano concertos are Ravel's Concerto for the Left Hand, Benjamin Britten's Piano Concerto, George Gershwin's Piano Concerto, and Shostakovich's Concerto for Piano and Trumpet.

by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2022 4:35 PM

Oscar Levant conducting himself playing Gershwin's Concerto in F (and sneaking in on the gong and marimba).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2022 12:50 AM

Nothing personal, but I HATE piano concertos.

Sonatas only, please.

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2022 12:52 AM

R9 and all, what do we know about Oscar Levant? Was he considered a great pianist? I have heard he became an alcoholic later in life.

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2022 9:32 PM

JFC some Mozart, pls.

7:25 and following in the Allegro maestoso is miraculous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2022 10:10 PM

Mozart's PCs 23 & 27 were my introduction to piano concertos, and I loved them.

I became interested in classical music when I heard Schubert's last piano sonata in a record store right after CDs started to become popular. It was being played by Alfred Brendel.

The store was having a sale on Polygram mid-price CDs, 3 for $25, so I had to pick two more. I knew Beethoven's 9th Symphony, so that was number two, and my friend who was with me told me I had to have Mozart, also played by Alfred Brendel. That was the beginning of a long obsession with classical music.

I've had Mozart PCs by Brendel, Perahia, Uchida, Gulda, Anda, Bilson, and others whose names escape me at the moment. I like all of them. I can't really tell the difference in a blind listening test who I am listening to (except the Bilson, of course, on fortepiano). The PCs are kind of like pizza—even when one isn't excellent, it's still pretty damned good.

I don't think I've listened to Ashkenazy before, r12, so thank you. (Oh, and yes, I had heard the "Elvira Madigan" movement before I knew what it was).

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2022 11:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!