Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kim Kardashian or Meryl Streep - Who Has More Power In Hollywood?

Oscar Winner Charlize Theron says the men running Hollywood see Kim Kardashian as having MORE power than Meryl Streep

The marketplace of what Kim Kardashian represents has way more value than what Meryl Streep, one of the greatest actresses working, does. And that’s just the truth. They have very different skills, but if you were Kim Kardashian, you’d probably get way more off the ground.”

Do you agree? Vote below and discuss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 15, 2022 8:58 PM

Meryl has respect but her range of power and influence is limited compared to The Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2022 6:00 PM

Kim influences the public, not Hollywood.

Still useless af.

by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2022 6:28 PM

Kim influences consumers and the corporate bottom line and that's what makes the world go round these days.

by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2022 6:30 PM

What kind of influence has Kim in Hollywood?

She is a reality star, in terms of the movie business she is totally irrelevant.

She must be doing something well anyway because the expiration date for reality star generally is shortlived

by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2022 6:31 PM

Agree with R4, KK isn't really Hollywood as she's not in the movies, it's a wonky analogy. Plus Meryl might be very highly regarded in HW but it's whoever is making the money that has power. Meryl hasn't really done a big movie for 5 years (The Post) where she is the star.

Streep did have a nice resurgence after The Devil Wears Prada where she showed that older actresses can open a movie that makes lots of $$$ (Mamma Mia, Julia and Julia, It's Complicated, The Iron Lady, Hope Springs) or at least makes a small profit (Ricki, Florence Foster Jenkins). She's never really been a power-player though.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2022 6:46 PM

Streep is a washed-up, overrated actress and Harvey accomplice, and she's so overstayed her welcome nobody cares anymore, except for a few dumb fraus. She's passable to good, sometimes very good, truth be told, she hasn't been good in decades. Kardashian is a media mogul still in her prime, she's good business, I say KK hands down

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2022 6:56 PM

R6 = Kris Jenner

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2022 6:57 PM

r4 r5 They would have Meryl get down on her knees and eat out Kim's ass, if it meant securing funding... they can't buy people off with a mere producers credit, anymore.

In truth, actresses are a dime a dozen. . . there's many great "classic" film stars that never achieved immortality despite being known for some of the greatest works. They fade into the background. Streep isn't as well branded as Kimmy K... we'll be discovering her stuff out of the international the landfills for centuries.

As to "Hollywood,' they won't treat like a performer.. though she's gotten a few cameos (as did rival Paris) but again, as a potential investor.. there's little people wouldn't do to try to recruit her. Albeit, we haven't seen much of it.. her father, when living, did try to create a film investment firm. It's a good lviing but the amount of $$$ you need is astronomical. . very difficult to just startup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2022 6:58 PM

I wish this could be a who wore it better poll instead.

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2022 7:49 PM

[quote] What kind of influence has Kim in Hollywood?

She has over 300 MILLION followers

That is her influence

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2022 8:46 PM

Well...

What sexually provocative young woman who performs sex on camera and will sell any product DOESN'T appear more appealing to a producer than a 69 year old talented actress?

by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2022 12:14 AM

They are both phonies, though.

by Anonymousreply 12December 9, 2022 1:11 AM

Things have reached a pretty pass

When someone pretty lower class

Graceless and vulgar, uninspired

Can be respected and admired

by Anonymousreply 13December 9, 2022 5:06 PM

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, public buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough.

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2022 11:13 PM

This is comparing apples and oranges.

I am sure Kim could more quickly get several TV projects off the ground, but no movie studio would hire her to headline a movie. Ever. Streep could line up a major movie in probably a day.

But I think Charlize’s point was that reality stars have more power than ever right now, which is true.

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2022 11:22 PM

People respect Streep.

Nobody on the entire planet respects Kardashian.

The morale of this story is that Hollywood has lost the power it once had and they are floundering and unable to renew/refresh and modernize themselves. And soon they will be gone.

by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2022 1:10 AM

I think Hollywood and Broadway need to pivot back toward the center, politically, if they are to survive in a post-Covid world. They have swung too far-left and are driving audiences away. Most people don't care for woke propaganda being shoehorned into very movie/show.

Not to mention that wokeness doesn't value talent and instead believes in hiring people based on racial/gender/whatever quotas, not because they have the skills or constitution for the job. Many people (including foreigners) have noticed how much the quality of Hollywood/Broadway has degraded within the past decade due to these insane policies.

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2022 11:35 AM

I don’t think Kim could get a movie made, but she has more star power.

R17, funny you should mention that. I was recently watching a film and noticed how the woman always initiated contact. Even comments about the movie noted that and wanted the guy to make a move first, at least once. I’ve noticed this in books too. It’s like they’re afraid of of cancel culture so they make the characters behave unnaturally.

by Anonymousreply 18December 15, 2022 8:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!