Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

At my work, one department hates another. Do you have opposing factions at your job?

Where I work we do custom metal fabrication. There is the shop that’s dirty, noisy, hot or cold, where the actual fabricating occurs. Attached to the shop is the office. Where designers, engineers, purchasers, and management work. It’s clean and climate controlled.

I work in the office as an engineer and I constantly have to hear derogatory remarks about the office from the shop. They say we’re not needed. That we’re lazy. That if it wasn’t for the shop we wouldn’t have jobs.

Nobody in the office makes such remarks about the shop. Nobody in the office brings up how if it wasn’t for the purchasers buying steel and engineering making drawings that the shop wouldn’t have a clue what to do.

This hate is all so one sided. And it’s getting worse. It’s like the proletariat vs the rich.

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2022 10:07 PM

[quote]It’s like the proletariat vs the rich.

And, it's this attitude by the office people which probably explains the dislike. I'm sure that the office people are paid multiples of the shop people.

But, then again, you knew that and are simply pushing your usual pro worker agenda.

by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2022 4:56 PM

Your department also has the all-important mimeograph. Truth is you complement each other to help keep America the post-war industrial and military powerhouse it is. I like Ike.

If you’re in Dallas, OP., you may enjoy this establishment posted in another thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2022 4:57 PM

R1 I clearly said no one in the office has ever made a derogatory remark about the shop. I also guarantee the office is not paid more than the shop as a rule. Ever asked a welder what they make an hour?

by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2022 4:59 PM

What R1 said. Your post is dripping with condescension, OP. Clearly you and your department are the problem. Co-workers actually don't just fabricate reasons to dislike one another. It would be different if it were one or a handful of people. The fact that it's an entire department speaks volumes.

Also, to answer your original question, no. What you describe is dysfunctional. My work place gets along just fine. Everyone is treated with equal respect, though. Clearly not the case where you work.

by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2022 5:00 PM

[quote]At my work, one department hates another. Do you have opposing factions at your job?

No. I'm the CEO and get along with everyone, but encourage intracompany rivalries to soften the labor, keep competition up for productivity purposes, and keep people distracted.

I harness the potential of the average asshole.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2022 5:02 PM

I work with mostly women. The levels of pettiness and infighting are staggering. One day you’re the best and the next day you’re mortal enemy #1. I wish it were only between departments.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2022 5:06 PM

Earrings, caftans.

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2022 5:06 PM

Can’t you all just have sex with each other, and learn to get along?

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2022 5:18 PM

Everyone hates Customer Service, mostly because they enter data wrong most of the time and other departments need to get accounts/invoices/statements corrected because of what is seemingly lack of training.

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2022 5:36 PM

As someone who grew up in a generally working class neighborhood and got myself an education and then got out, I think OP is neither condensing nor exaggerating the situation. Blue collar types are quicker to mock and complain about white collar types than vice versa. Not denying that disdain can exist in both camps, but whatever the actual percentage of that feeling in either group, the working class guy is much more prone to vocalize it.

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2022 5:41 PM

Everyone hates IT, and they hate us.

by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2022 5:45 PM

[quote] There is the shop that’s dirty, noisy, hot or cold, where the actual fabricating occurs. Attached to the shop is the office. Where designers, engineers, purchasers, and management work. It’s clean and climate controlled.

You just described the disparity in working conditions. Seems disingenuous to ponder why there is resentment. It should be easier, for you, from your comfortable (work environment & pay) position to let it roll off your back.

by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2022 5:59 PM

Wax earplugs or noise cancelling headphones when dealing with the shop, OP. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2022 6:11 PM

A whole department can irrationally hate another because a culture of resentment and complaining develops. Also workers almost always hate white color types.

by Anonymousreply 14December 8, 2022 6:38 PM

So weird that the people who work in the dirty, noisy, temperature extreme shop are resentful of the people who work in the clean and climate controlled office! It's almost like they're treated differently?! WEIRD!

by Anonymousreply 15December 8, 2022 7:53 PM

No. Theatre is collaborative, and we all get along. There are disagreements on occasion, but usually...it's more or less smooth sailing.

by Anonymousreply 16December 8, 2022 8:05 PM

Most of the people working on the floor make at least as much as the office workers. Only managers earn more.

by Anonymousreply 17December 8, 2022 9:18 PM

Twerk

by Anonymousreply 18December 8, 2022 9:29 PM

[quote]r15 Theatre is collaborative, and we all get along. There are disagreements on occasion, but usually...it's more or less smooth sailing.

Have you ever appeared on the legitimate stage?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2022 10:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!