Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is ‘Homosexual’ still a PC term?

Definition: sexually or romantically attracted exclusively to people of one's own sex or gender. I’m surprised the T hasn’t come for it.

by Anonymousreply 79February 23, 2023 9:57 PM

HomoSEXual is about being attracted to the same SEX. It's not homogenderal.

by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2022 4:19 PM

I'm fine with it because it's a simple statement of fact. If "queer," which was considered a pejorative (and I still think it is) is okay, why not "homosexual"?

by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2022 4:22 PM

[quote]I’m surprised the T hasn’t come for it.

[bold]ENOUGH[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2022 4:24 PM

Agree, R3. Fuck off, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2022 4:25 PM

I have seen a couple of people (online, of course) claim that it's offensive because it's a term that was used by religious groups to denigrate homosexuals or a term used to look down on us, but I've never experienced that in real life. It seems a pretty standard, clinical term, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2022 6:59 PM

I think it describes “Quislings.” For example people who have no gay (or LGBT) identity at all beyond what they do in bed. In other words they are “takers” with no sense of community within them. This seems to be mostly Caucasians who are Republicants who say they absolutely have no connection whatsoever with a disabled Black lesbian in a wheelchair on SSI who has children. I’ve certainly met the exact opposite who feel the same way: they want nothing to do with anyone who has anything to do with White men, other similar demographics. Unfortunately, I think this describes many people. It is a reality. I understand this is my opinion only. I usually want nothing to do with people like this.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2022 7:46 PM

R6 sounds like a headache.

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2022 7:48 PM

Apparently we’re not PC anymore 🙄

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2022 7:54 PM

I think that R7 is the same way. It is a headache to deal with R7. I want nothing to do with R7, who feel this way.

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2022 7:58 PM

I don't care what you call me...

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2022 7:58 PM

The trans-queerios hate the term homosexual OP precisely because it's a direct description of a person who is exclusively same-sex attracted. They want much more convoluted language and vague meanings that they can manipulate.

This is how the LGBTQIA Resource Center Glossary of the Student Center at UC Davis defines homosexuality. Almost all American universities and their student centres define homosexuality in this way:

[quote]Homosexual/Homosexuality: An outdated term to describe a sexual orientation in which a person feels physically and emotionally attracted to people of the same gender. Historically, it was a term used to pathologize gay and lesbian people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2022 8:05 PM

Here's the LGBTQ glossary at Johns Hopkins trying to demean the word homosexual so that we homosexuals have no words that we can use to describe ourselves:

[quote]Homosexual: The clinical term, coined in the field of psychology, for people with a same-sex sexual attraction. The word is often associated with the idea that same-sex attractions are a mental disorder, and is therefore offensive to some people.

This is how they define lesbian:

[quote]Lesbian [sexual orientation]: A non-man attracted to non-men. While past definitions refer to ‘lesbian’ as a woman who is emotionally, romantically, and/or sexually attracted to other women, this updated definition includes non-binary people who may also identify with the label.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2022 8:09 PM

It's not entirely offensive but it is very clinical. It's use to describe sexual behavior is fine, but applying it to a person or people ("a homosexual male," "homosexual couple," etc.) is offensive. So is "homosexual marriage." Same-sex attracted people usually prefer "gay" tomrefer to themselves. See also "Negro."

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2022 8:20 PM

[quote]trying to demean the word homosexual so that we homosexuals have no words that we can use to describe ourselves:

I don't know a single person who prefers to be called "homosexual." The preferred term is "gay." In a medical setting, "same-sex attracted" is also an option.

by Anonymousreply 14December 8, 2022 8:22 PM

A look, another stealth transphobia thread.

by Anonymousreply 15December 8, 2022 8:26 PM

OP I am out of FFs.

I’ll be back tomorrow

by Anonymousreply 16December 8, 2022 9:52 PM

R14 I agree. The word isn't offensive in itself, but in 2022, I find the only people who use it tend to do so negatively.

It's often because they don't like the word "gay" to mean same sex attraction because they see the word as too positive.

by Anonymousreply 17December 8, 2022 10:05 PM

I like to use it to describe myself precisely for the reason that it categorically excludes any of the letters after the LG in new-wave of arriviste hangers-on in the silly moniker that is LGBTQ2S+

by Anonymousreply 18December 8, 2022 10:19 PM

R18 You can say gay and still exclude all those letters.

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2022 10:32 PM

Just because 2 of you exist does not mean you rewrite the social order. That’s a you problem.

by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2022 10:38 PM

Let’s reclaim “homosexual”.

I prefer it to “queer”.

by Anonymousreply 21December 8, 2022 10:49 PM

R13/R14, I despise the word gay. The only word worse to me is queer. I much prefer homosexual. It's entirely inoffensive, except that I do partly agree with what Gore Vidal said: that a homosexual is an adjective to describe a form of sex, not a noun to describe a person. But since heterosexuals are fine with being called heterosexuals, homosexuals (and lesbians?) are supposed to have a problem with what they're called? Why? What I like about the word is the clincal aspect. There's no inherent judgment in the word.

by Anonymousreply 22December 8, 2022 10:49 PM

The PC term is Nancy boy.

by Anonymousreply 23December 8, 2022 10:50 PM

"same-sex attracted"

How is that acceptable, R14? Some would argue the word "attracted" is like "preferred" (as in preference) when it should be "oriented."

by Anonymousreply 24December 8, 2022 10:52 PM

Certain Christians use the word homosexual to label a lifestyle that can be abandoned through prayer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 8, 2022 10:56 PM

What is the material difference between “oriented” and “attracted”? Jesus Christ.

Those neo-definitions at R11 and R12 are abhorrent and must be resisted no matter what.

I like the idea of using ‘homosexual’ in the way that conservative religious people used it in the 70s and 80s. THAT is the kind of terminology that should be reclaimed, as there is nothing inherently offensive about it. QUEER is offensive.

by Anonymousreply 26December 8, 2022 10:56 PM

R26, I was actually kidding--my point being trading one synonymous verb form over another is meaningless. I agree homosexual is a word we should reclaim from the bigots. R25's link suggests why we should reclaim it.

by Anonymousreply 27December 8, 2022 10:59 PM

I've always thought of myself as homosexual; never gay. To hell with all that alphabet soup crap.

by Anonymousreply 28December 8, 2022 11:05 PM

I have met so many sick people (pride, gay events etc) that claimed that "gay is an umbrella term". (or that "yes gay is also queer" or "spectrum")

I still use gay (never other repulsive words that some gays like to use for themselves) along with homosexual, same-sex-attracted to be clear - and make alphabet/umbrella/spectrum loons fuck off - because loons have destroyed this normal word.

Like perfectly stated above on the university websites, along with other "authority" institutions/orgs: "gay means same-[bold]gender [/bold]-attraction"

by Anonymousreply 29December 8, 2022 11:06 PM

Same here, R28.

by Anonymousreply 30December 8, 2022 11:07 PM

R25, who cares? I don’t give them any power. They can say whatever they want, I ain’t listening.

by Anonymousreply 31December 8, 2022 11:07 PM

^ I agree. Hmm Christians I know have mostly used the word gay to denounce us.

by Anonymousreply 32December 8, 2022 11:12 PM

The word gay is easily swallowed pablum for the heterosexuals; the word homosexual tells it like it is, and even more rewardingly, scares the daylights out of those heterosexuals. Gay = fun, silly, swell. Homosexual = penis and anal (very very scary to them).

by Anonymousreply 33December 8, 2022 11:14 PM

Exactly, R33, and what I like about it--it's nice and clinical.

by Anonymousreply 34December 8, 2022 11:15 PM

I like referring to ‘gay bars’ as ‘homosexual bars’ and ‘homosexual clubs’. That’s funny to me.

by Anonymousreply 35December 8, 2022 11:17 PM

I like being a militant homosexual!

by Anonymousreply 36December 8, 2022 11:18 PM

The word is very offensive. The correct term is homosexualist.

by Anonymousreply 37December 8, 2022 11:20 PM

I'll take Itinerate Cockhound thanks.

by Anonymousreply 38December 8, 2022 11:25 PM

Gay implies that there is a culture with it's own rituals and customs that. not everyone wants to partake in. That's why the DL has flourished. You have a huge population of men who want the male-male sex and not drag, "queering", gay bestie, faabulous kiki shit that has been stereotypically gay. They are fine with traditional straight behavior in terms of recreation and socialization, along with dudefucking a dude. Dudebros are homosexual but not gay.

by Anonymousreply 39December 8, 2022 11:25 PM

"I'll take Itinerate Cockhound"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 40December 8, 2022 11:27 PM

Just say homeowner.

by Anonymousreply 41December 8, 2022 11:28 PM

No, the correct term is homoseggsuah.

by Anonymousreply 42December 8, 2022 11:29 PM

I thought it was homosessual !!!

by Anonymousreply 43December 8, 2022 11:31 PM

Homosexual is more clinical, but I don’t mind it. I’ve found that people who have issues with gay men have referred to me as “homosexual”, but I still don’t mind it, even though I know they mean harm.

by Anonymousreply 44December 8, 2022 11:34 PM

My mom, who has been mostly bigoted towards homosexualists her whole life, has referred to them/me (I go by ‘they/me’ pronouns) as ‘queers’ or ‘gay’, never ‘homosexual’. And she’s old-fashioned, as well as old.

by Anonymousreply 45December 8, 2022 11:37 PM

She needs to get with it, R45. Homosexual is where it's at.

by Anonymousreply 46December 8, 2022 11:42 PM

Queers is derogatory, but the new gay/bi/trans/disoriented crowd doesn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 47December 8, 2022 11:48 PM

They know it^.

by Anonymousreply 48December 8, 2022 11:49 PM

Well, R47, they've indoctrinated a lot of respectable mainstream straight academics, newscasters, journalists, etc., into using it, convncing them it's okay and what "we" all want to be called.

by Anonymousreply 49December 8, 2022 11:50 PM

As promised

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 8, 2022 11:52 PM

I'd still prefer to see the "respectable mainstream straight academics, newscasters, journalists, etc." shudder and choke on their words when they had use the word homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 51December 8, 2022 11:55 PM

Yeah, r49, & it’s not like anybody even ASKED US if it we wanted to be called qu**r.

No vote. Not even a debate.

It’s ok to call homosexuals a homophobic slur.

by Anonymousreply 52December 8, 2022 11:55 PM

“Gay” has less syllables and doesn’t sound so clinical and dated. I haven’t liked the term “homosexual” for as long as I can remember. But sometimes there is a comical effect. Depends on who is saying it.

by Anonymousreply 53December 9, 2022 12:01 AM

I canceled my Criterion Channel subscription because they kept calling gay-themed films “Queer Cinema.” Always, always, always the word ‘queer’. I let them know that was exactly why I canceled it, too.

by Anonymousreply 54December 9, 2022 12:05 AM

It's true, R53, that, being a one-syllable word, it's easier for simpletons to say and pronounce.

by Anonymousreply 55December 9, 2022 12:05 AM

This article explains why many find the word offensive. It was (and still is by some) used to describe a sexuality that's perverted, sinful, and criminal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 9, 2022 12:08 AM

Which, again, R56, why it needs to be reclaimed--unless we all want to be called queers.

by Anonymousreply 57December 9, 2022 12:09 AM

Non-men? Lesbians are non-men? JFC

by Anonymousreply 58December 9, 2022 12:16 AM

Homosexplease is a good compromise.

by Anonymousreply 59December 9, 2022 12:30 AM

I prefer cockjockey.

by Anonymousreply 60December 9, 2022 12:49 AM

I like that it's a relational description: I'm attracted to a specific biological sex that is the same as mine. Queer isn't a word I use for myself because it's so vague.

by Anonymousreply 61December 9, 2022 10:31 AM

Being from an older generation, I find the term homosexual somewhat pathologizing. Gay seems gentler but it also evokes the image of a person being always bubbly which, no. Of course I use them both but I can understand the younger generations searching for terminology that reflects more soberly who they are.

by Anonymousreply 62December 9, 2022 3:27 PM

So "queer" is how the younger generations searching for terminology that reflects more soberly who they are see themselves, R62. They can have their word and I'll keep mine.

by Anonymousreply 63December 9, 2022 4:18 PM

I agree that queer is detestable, R63.

by Anonymousreply 64December 9, 2022 4:36 PM

I've never considered there a problem with the term "homosexual". I don't really use it, but it is what I am at the same time.

What odd about that link at R11, is the definition of heterosexuality after you've read the one for homosexuality:

[quote]A sexual orientation in which a person feels physically and emotionally attracted to people of a gender other than their own.

Leaving aside the use of "gender" there for a moment, in what is clearly a definition around "sex", why is it so different from the definition of homosexuality? You'd think they'd just be mirror images of each other. Why is homosexuality outdated? Who decided that and why? It seems pretty clinical and a pretty standard term. Why is heterosexuality also does not "pathologise" straight people?

And then there's this under the definition of homophobia:

[quote]As a staff, we’ve been intentionally moving away from using words like "transphobic,” “homophobic,” and "biphobic" because (1) they inaccurately describe systems of oppression as irrational fears, and (2) for some people, phobias are a very distressing part of their lived experience and co-opting this language is disrespectful to their experiences and perpetuates ableism.

Sorry, but this seems ridiculous, especially note (2).

When I was a kid in the 90s, I feel like this was the kind of thing that people used to joke about when they were discussing political correctness, now come to fruition.

by Anonymousreply 65December 9, 2022 11:59 PM

[quote]Non-men? Lesbians are non-men? JFC

MOVIE TRAILER VOICE: Just when the lesbians thought they had completely escaped being defined by men...

Seriously, you ladies have my sympathy here. That is insulting.

by Anonymousreply 66December 10, 2022 12:43 AM

I was wondering that too, R65 — ‘homosexual’ is only ‘problematic’ or ‘pathologizing’ if it came first, specifically to describe a pathology, and then ‘heterosexual’ came later to describe a ‘normal’ orientation. Sort of like the trans/cis nonsense. Is that what happened?

There’s nothing wrong with using ‘homosexual’. This whole idea of discontinuing use of a word because it was the most common word to describe a thing back when that thing was demonized, is ridiculous. Same with ‘prostitute’ vs ‘sex worker’. As if the term ‘sex worker’ somehow changes the nature of the profession or how people think of it. It’s a very postmodern conceit, and ridiculous. Changing reality with the language we use. No, reality doesn’t work like that.

by Anonymousreply 67December 10, 2022 12:47 AM

Exactly, R67!

I mean, I AM a homosexual. I'm a male who is sexually attracted to other males. Seems pretty simple to me.

Looking into it more, I think some of the people who don't like the word don't like it because it is a bit too specific - it can't be altered the way terms like "gay man" and "lesbian" have been by some to, let's be honest, include people who aren't actually under the terms "gay man" or "lesbian". It's basically what it says on the tin. If that makes sense?

by Anonymousreply 68December 10, 2022 12:52 AM

^Oh god, and I just kept looking and from what I can see, the whole "homosexual is a slur" argument started... wait for it... on tumblr! This is where we're at now. Random tumblr thoughts are becoming attempts at real world definitions!

by Anonymousreply 69December 10, 2022 12:59 AM

Funnily enough, I came across this from one of our government departments and, I mean, see if you notice what is missing…

Yep, no definition of homosexual. Definitions of bisexual and heterosexual (based around gender not sex) but homosexual is not there. This is very weird. This group ‘informs government policy’ as part of its remit.

They do have definitions of gay and lesbian:

[quote] Gay: an individual who identifies as a man and is sexually and/or romantically attracted to other people who identify as men. The term gay can also be used in relation to women who are sexually and romantically attracted to other women.

[quote] Lesbian: an individual who identifies as a woman and is sexually and/or romantically attracted to other people who identify as women.

They also say this (bolding mine):

[quote] Homonormativity: a term that describes the privileging of certain people or relationships within the queer community (usually [bold]cisgender, white, gay men[/bold]). This term also refers to the assumption that LGBTIQA+ people will conform to mainstream, heterosexual culture; for example, by adopting the idea that monogamy, marriage and having children is a natural and normal relationship progression.

I’m not THAT old, but what is going on?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70February 23, 2023 8:38 PM

r70 Sigh. Australia.

by Anonymousreply 71February 23, 2023 8:44 PM

I’m an out and proud homosexual man.

by Anonymousreply 72February 23, 2023 8:47 PM

I like homosexual, and some homophobes use it as a way to seem pathologic, clinical, that I have some sort of condition, but I don’t mind. I’m homosexual, gay, not queer.

by Anonymousreply 73February 23, 2023 8:49 PM

[quote] Sigh. Australia.

Yeah, I was actually really surprised when I saw that, because stuff that is viewed as being ‘from America’ usually doesn’t make it here. And it weirded me out that I don’t think gays/lesbians here are aware of these changing definitions and the definitions themselves are just incorrect in many places.

by Anonymousreply 74February 23, 2023 8:57 PM

Lol no you can’t be homosexual you have to only date trans people

by Anonymousreply 75February 23, 2023 9:16 PM

I’m reclaiming homosexual …

Also reclaiming queer as a slur

by Anonymousreply 76February 23, 2023 9:20 PM

What’s so crazy is that even the terms like heterosexual in R70 are being defined as not being about sex, which is patently untrue - the clue is in the name. How is it people don’t see this when they’re writing these things? It’s a worrying indictment on our education system.

[quote] Heterosexual: an individual who is sexually and/or romantically attracted to the opposite gender.

by Anonymousreply 77February 23, 2023 9:24 PM

[bold]HOMASECKSHUL[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78February 23, 2023 9:28 PM

It's very telling that no one say nothing about heteroSEXual or biSEXual, only homoSEXual.

Vast majority who don't like are homophobic troonies and some of their activists, I prefer 100% 'Homosexual' than 'Queer' (that includes heterosexual people nowadays)

by Anonymousreply 79February 23, 2023 9:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!