Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

First Trans School Board member in Asheville resigns after harassment from local fundie

Another day, another asshole "pastor."

It's too bad she resigned as it gives the Right a "win" but it's also tough being the one person in that position even with some supportive colleagues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2022 12:25 PM

Fuck fundies

by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2022 2:33 AM

I'm surprised this happened in Asheville, which has been described as a very tolerant and progressive city.

Back in the 70s, when I was in high school, there were a few visibly gay students at the school. It was not brought up as a topic of discussion at the school board meetings. It would have been seen as hateful, even among the most homophobic people.

Looking back, I know there were teachers who thought I was gay, and they took me under their wings to protect me from any harassment. I had a standing invitation to study in their rooms when classes were not going on. One of the counselors and his wife invited me to dinner several times. I knew, and they knew, what was being said about us gay kids.

by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2022 2:37 AM

[quote] I'm surprised this happened in Asheville, which has been described as a very tolerant and progressive city.

Other than the zealous Red Guards, sane people's idea of being tolerant and progressive doesn't include being subjected to violence that forces everyone into total submission. Like, having to call a MAN like this who also look like nothing but a MAN as she/her/woman, not to mention having to welcome them into girls'/women's spaces? Not obeying = hate crime?

[quote] repeatedly misgendering / spreading transphobic rhetoric / bigotry and hate speech

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2022 5:34 AM

He's not a woman.

by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2022 5:52 AM

He’s also married to a woman so this is yet another straight guy LARPing as LGB.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2022 11:52 AM

"He"

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2022 11:54 AM

r5 Like that man Dr. Richard/Rachel Levine who @WhiteHouse, NYP, WaPo, etc. celebrates not only as "the first [bold]female[/bold] four-star admiral in the history of the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps" but also as "Admiral Rachel Levine, Assistant Secretary for Health, [bold]who is a lesbian[/bold]"

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2022 12:07 PM

Please racial minorities in the 1950s and 1960s, Black, Mexican American, Native underwent more attacks than misgendering and rhetoric at official functions and yet persisted. If one takes on a public role as a minority when that group is hated one has to expect attacks. If you back down and resign immediately than you do not achieve anything. I guess the difference today is that achieving a greater victim status on social media is considered a type of victory. It’s entirely performative.

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2022 12:23 PM

Ah, Mr Cawthorn's district - which the GOP redistricted the fuck out of to make sure it would never go blue again.

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2022 12:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!