Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lauren Bacall Was Mean

Shocking, I know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83February 19, 2023 3:40 PM

SHE is a LEGEND! CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2022 12:05 AM

I don't have time to watch a video of some stupid c*** going on about how somebody maybe wasn't so nice to her one time boo f****** who either type out the f****** story in text or don't f****** bother.

by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2022 12:06 AM

She never said why Bacall was mean, all she did was talk about how nice Gregory Peck was nice to her.

by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2022 12:18 AM

Water was wet...

by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2022 12:19 AM

Why was she a miserable bitch? She was famous, talented, wealthy and had three children who loved her. That bitch even had a Dakota apartment! She treatment of those "beneath" her, was despicable. There was no justification for it.

Of course, she was all hearts and flowers with Gregory Peck and her other famous friends. She was on her best behavior. Frank Sinatra dodged a bullet; he almost married her

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2022 12:19 AM

That stupid c***, r2 won the only Emmy Designing Women got.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2022 12:20 AM

Damn it! Why can't DL have an editing tab????

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2022 12:21 AM

Shelley Winters knew the truth.

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2022 12:24 AM

She appeared to be very angry and bitter about Sinatra dumping her.

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2022 12:29 AM

R2 does NOT = Sam Robards

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2022 12:29 AM

Hey, R2. How about ******** your mother right in her flabby, slack **** until she ****** and **** in your mouth?

It'll help keep your rhesus fingers occupied off the big-key punch board.

by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2022 12:31 AM

Kind of gruff, demanding but open to suggestions. The hairstylist worked with Bacall many times. Bacall "was mean to everyone except her hair and makeup people".

No dirt here.

by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2022 12:53 AM

The worst story I read about Bacall was of her calling Shelly Winters to demand to speak to Winters' husband, Anthony Franciosa. Bacall was having an affair with Anthony Franciosa.

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2022 1:03 AM

One evening in the late 70'sI was walking past the MOMA and there was a limousine idling at the entrance. I was about 4 feet from the car when I was motioned to stop in my tracks as Ms. Bacall swanned out of the building entrance and literally strode, head held high without even a sidewards glance to check for other pedestrian traffic, directly to the waiting car. At the time I didn't know who it was and really didn't care either actually, because I wasn't into caring about celebrities and stars or hollywood in my late teenage years. Eventually though, after seeing pictures of her I realized who that statuesque woman with the sharp facial features was.

I don't even really know why I just wrote about this silly little recollection. Another time I'll tell you about an equally anodyne run-in with Chuck Barris. Yes, that Chuck Barris, of The Gong Show fame...

by Anonymousreply 14December 8, 2022 1:13 AM

Oh, OP. You're KIDDING, right?!?!?!

by Anonymousreply 15December 8, 2022 1:14 AM

What all famous people was she mean to?

by Anonymousreply 16December 8, 2022 1:23 AM

[quote]r5 Why was she a miserable bitch? She was famous, talented, wealthy and had three children who loved her. That bitch even had a Dakota apartment! She treatment of those "beneath" her was despicable.

She was mentally unbalanced. Also a big, big boozer.

by Anonymousreply 17December 8, 2022 1:26 AM

The character of demanding diva Mary Ford in the novel “Piece of Work” is based on Bacall. Written by a former publicity person who had to tour with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 8, 2022 1:33 AM

[quote]She never said why Bacall was mean, all she did was talk about how nice Gregory Peck was nice to her.

Did you watch the video? At 1:12, while speaking about Bacall, she says, "She's MEAN."

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2022 1:40 AM

R9 Then she shouldn’t have blabbed to the press about their upcoming nuptials.

by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2022 1:50 AM

She may have stole my career but she's in hell and I'm not.

by Anonymousreply 21December 8, 2022 1:53 AM

[R12] but she didn't give any examples

by Anonymousreply 22December 8, 2022 2:14 AM

Sorry R19 not R12

by Anonymousreply 23December 8, 2022 2:16 AM

Dear Lisbeth- Everyone knows that fucker Jack Warner hired you as an imitation me. Just in case I acted up. Be thankful you had any career at all.

by Anonymousreply 24December 8, 2022 2:21 AM

[quote] "I don't have time to watch a video of some stupid c*** going on about how somebody maybe wasn't so nice to her one time boo f****** who either type out the f****** story in text or don't f****** bother."

R2 = Betty Bacall

by Anonymousreply 25December 8, 2022 2:28 AM

[quote] The hairstylist worked with Bacall many times. Bacall "was mean to everyone except her hair and makeup people".

Well, Bacall was smart, then. She was probably nice to the lighting technicians and camera men, as well.

by Anonymousreply 26December 8, 2022 4:05 AM

OP I love that lady

by Anonymousreply 27December 8, 2022 4:05 AM

She was, by most accounts, not nice in general. I appreciate a no-nonsense attitude and have a bit of that in me myself, but Bacall was beyond that—she really seemed to be a self-important bitch, especially in her later years. I think her bitterness really ramped up after Bogart died. There really isn’t an excuse for it, though. I have mixed feelings about her. The anecdotes that cast and crew of “The Fan” have told about her are kind of appalling.

At the end of the day, I suspect her nasty attitude came from deep-seated insecurity, which is usually the case when people conduct themselves like this.

Chloe Sevigny has always sort of reminded me of Bacall a little, but I don’t think she remotely has the same kind of mean streak. Sevigny is just a bit pretentious (and also seems insecure to me underneath it all), but I don’t think she’s an outright raging cunt.

by Anonymousreply 28December 8, 2022 4:14 AM

I just read a memoir by Lee Marvin's first wife, whose best friend at college was Bacall's cousin. They spent a Christmas with Bacall and Bogart in the late 40s, and she said Bogart was nice and Bacall .... wasn't. I guess she never changed.

by Anonymousreply 29December 8, 2022 4:15 AM

[quote] Why was she a miserable bitch?

De-caffeinated coffee would make me a miserable bitch too, just to be fair.

by Anonymousreply 30December 8, 2022 4:23 AM

I'm sure she loved saying "fuck" and "fuckin'" while filming this scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 8, 2022 4:30 AM

The irony. Becall talked about how she would drop by Katherine Hepburn's estate on the East Coast for a visit, and Hepburn would be an absolute cunt to her! Seems Betty Becall wasn't as "well liked" as she thought!

by Anonymousreply 32December 8, 2022 4:42 AM

She married and had kids with two drunks. Maybe the experiences embittered her.

by Anonymousreply 33December 8, 2022 5:16 AM

[quote]r28 she really seemed to be a self-important bitch, especially in her later years… I suspect her nasty attitude came from deep-seated insecurity

I wonder if she was bitter that she never became a hugely in-demand star. Her fame was built on her two, early, Howard Hawks films and her marriage to Bogart. Probably she felt she deserved to be A List, all the time. Even after her Broadway comeback Hollywood wasn’t breaking down her door with a string of important roles.

I think her real talent was as a model, when she was a teen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 8, 2022 5:25 AM

Pre fame modeling:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 8, 2022 5:33 AM

Give Bacall a break, she had recently quit the High Point and was having withdrawals

by Anonymousreply 36December 8, 2022 5:52 AM

I always thought the late Kirstie Alley could have played Bacall in a biopic, and Kathleen Turner as elderly Bacall

by Anonymousreply 37December 8, 2022 9:18 AM

I liked Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 38December 8, 2022 9:19 AM

Bea Arthur had the elegance of a young Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 39December 8, 2022 11:22 AM

Lisbeth Scott is very much alive and with us, r21. Lizabeth Scott, on the other hand... she be dead.

by Anonymousreply 40December 8, 2022 11:43 AM

She was funny on Dame Edna show. This clip should start around the 4:15 mark

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 8, 2022 2:14 PM

I was reading Colleen Dewhurst biography and it was between her and Lauren Bacall for the role of Murphy's mother in Murphy Brown

They went withe Dewhurst, because Bacall reputation was so toxic, they didn't want to deal with her

by Anonymousreply 42December 8, 2022 2:25 PM

One of the reasons why Lauren Bacall lost the Oscar

The ENTIRE Academy votes for the acting categories - Bacall pissed off to many people who work behind the scenes, they would never vote for her.

by Anonymousreply 43December 8, 2022 2:26 PM

Bacall's abruptness and harshness was renowned. She didn't seem a very happy person. I think her biggest problem was that she didn't have a powerful man in her life after Robards divorced her in '69, to keep her in line. She always seemed to be mad at the world.

by Anonymousreply 44December 8, 2022 2:28 PM

R16- Didn't she write a scathing story about Ava Gardner in one of her books? Something about a birthday cake? I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 45December 8, 2022 4:47 PM

She also accidentally forgot to call out her Robards son on whatever awards show, but called out the other children of Bogart's. She said the award was tainted because she felt so awful getting caught up in the Bogie aspect or something.

She also let her dog hump a little teddy bear.

by Anonymousreply 46December 8, 2022 5:28 PM

Bacall is a very typical type of old school “high class” (she willed herself into it, Miss Betty from the Bronx) aged Jewish NYC woman that died out with the city after 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 47December 8, 2022 5:34 PM

R37, Kathleen Turner must lose 1,000 pounds to play an elder Lauren Bacall.

(Kathleen's gargantuan ego deserves a comeuppance.)

by Anonymousreply 48December 8, 2022 7:50 PM

R46, her son, Sam Robards, was her favorite child. She just gushed on and on about him in her first autobiography. (Of course, he was her baby, her youngest child.)

by Anonymousreply 49December 8, 2022 7:55 PM

[quote]R44 I think her biggest problem was that she didn't have a powerful man in her life after Robards divorced her

An old coworker of mine was in a play with Robarts during that marriage and said he’d never met as foul mouthed a woman as Bacall.

And this guy was an alcoholic, so you know he’d heard it ALL.

by Anonymousreply 50December 8, 2022 10:27 PM

She a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 51December 8, 2022 11:10 PM

[quote] Becall talked about how she would drop by Katherine Hepburn's estate on the East Coast for a visit, and Hepburn would be an absolute cunt to her!

I never could see those two getting along for long. Beyond talking about Bogie and Tracy, what else could they have had in common.

by Anonymousreply 52December 8, 2022 11:11 PM

A classic kiss up, punch down termagant. Kander & Ebb in their joint biography Colored Lights talk about her being fine with them, but mean to underlings. Stories of her mistreating assistants and constantly hiring new ones, wait staff (the "bad potato" story), etc. were always in circulation when she was alive and on the NYC scene. Like many stars, she could be the most beguiling, delightful person if she thought you were her equal or her better or she needed something from you that it didn't debase her to ask for.

When she was on stage, she was able to discard or mask it, or somehow seem to be untroubled, vital and alive, smart and hip. Except for her last Broadway outing, Waiting in the Wings, where she seemed old and tired. Plenty of stories there too, from Alvin Colt saying "everyone was nice...with one exception" to Bacall going on about her friendship with Coward until Rosemary Harris in her ladylike way reminded the company that she had known Noel Coward too.

She was tough throughout her Broadway career, going back to all the out of town firings and quitting during Goodbye Charlie.

by Anonymousreply 53December 8, 2022 11:26 PM

Hepburn was probably just mad that Bacall wouldn't spread for her during their visits.

by Anonymousreply 54December 9, 2022 10:38 AM

Dog hump

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 9, 2022 10:47 AM

I’m caffeinated enough, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 56December 9, 2022 12:04 PM

R35- I didn’t know she appeared in Fame.

Was it the movie 🎥 or the tv show?

by Anonymousreply 57December 9, 2022 12:14 PM

She remained so very bitter about Sinatra dumpling her until the end of her life. Imagine carrying that kind of anger for decades.

by Anonymousreply 58January 22, 2023 3:46 PM

[quote]The worst story I read about Bacall was of her calling Shelly Winters to demand to speak to Winters' husband, Anthony Franciosa. Bacall was having an affair with Anthony Franciosa.

Winters was outraged by Bacall's cheek and told her but Bacall simply replied, [italic]"If your husband doesn't respect your marriage why should I?"[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 59January 22, 2023 6:59 PM

[quote]I think her biggest problem was that she didn't have a powerful man in her life after Robards divorced her in '69, to keep her in line.

Sexist, much? Jason Robards (like Bogart) was a drunk. No keeping ANYTHING "in line" for him.

by Anonymousreply 60January 22, 2023 9:22 PM

True r47. Nan Kempner was another one. They're all gone now.

by Anonymousreply 61January 22, 2023 9:25 PM

The Dakota apartment, when her kids put it up for sale.

She bought it in 1961 for just $48,000, if you can believe it. Granted I'm no real estate expert, but even for 1961 that seemed awfully cheap for an apartment like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 22, 2023 9:31 PM

It's amazing she lived as long as she did given how much she smoked and drank. Some people are just fucking lucky.

by Anonymousreply 63January 22, 2023 9:40 PM

I'd have started raking Lauren's hair real hard and hiss, "You're not the star of THIS picture, Miss Fancy Feast!".

by Anonymousreply 64January 22, 2023 9:50 PM

[quote] It's amazing she lived as long as she did given how much she smoked and drank. Some people are just fucking lucky.

And God only knows what was in her High Point.

by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2023 1:24 AM

R42, Colleen Dewhurst was the best choice for Murphy Brown's mother. She was an incredibly gifted and classically trained stage actress. She performed in Shakespeare, Eugene O'Neill, Edward Albee, and Arthur Miller plays. She would've made mincemeat out of Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 66January 24, 2023 1:25 AM

Wasn’t Jennifer Lawrence in one of her last movies. Can imagine she got on Lauren’s nerves.

by Anonymousreply 67February 13, 2023 11:29 PM

correction it was Hayden Panettiere

by Anonymousreply 68February 13, 2023 11:31 PM

[Quote] I think her biggest problem was that she didn't have a powerful man in her life

while growing up.

by Anonymousreply 69February 13, 2023 11:34 PM

[Quote] Bea Arthur had the elegance of a young Bacall.

And what about the bone structure?

by Anonymousreply 70February 13, 2023 11:35 PM

[[quote] Why was she a miserable bitch? She was famous, talented, wealthy and had three children who loved her. That bitch even had a Dakota apartment! She treatment of those "beneath" her, was despicable. There was no justification for it.

Sounds like you are the one who is the "miserable bitch." As for Bacall, I don't think she was miserable at all. Or a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 71February 13, 2023 11:48 PM

No mommie dearest stories have surfaced so it's quite possible she had a happy personal life with family and friends but an insecure professional life which led to making some people around her unhappy. By all accounts she had a happy marriage to Bogart and remained friendly with Robards.

by Anonymousreply 72February 14, 2023 12:16 AM

Bogie and Bacall were soulmates. A true Hollywood love story. They were perfect for each other.

by Anonymousreply 73February 14, 2023 12:35 AM

Betty didn't need to be nice. She had FLAVAH!

by Anonymousreply 74February 14, 2023 12:36 AM

Mommie dearest stories depend on the inheritance. Clearly from the apartment alone there were no hard feelings.

by Anonymousreply 75February 14, 2023 1:14 AM

I read Steve Bogart's autobiography years ago. He did make some veiled references to Mom not being emotionally supportive.

by Anonymousreply 76February 14, 2023 1:28 AM

The real reason she had so much hostility towards the world was that her apartment at the Dakota was on the first floor. Until she died some residents thought she was the building superintendent's wife. Yoko kept tipping her every Japanese Christmas until one year she confronted Yoko. Scalding hot high point was no match for Yoko's powerful screams, shrieks and cat noises.

by Anonymousreply 77February 14, 2023 2:16 AM

Did any of you see her in Sweet Bird of Youth?

by Anonymousreply 78February 14, 2023 2:16 AM

It's funny how she has such a horrible reputation for being a meanie yet she allowed Marilyn Cooper to walk away with Woman of the Year when Helen Lawson would have had her song cut in rehearsals. She was also very nurturing with Harry Guardino in the same show. He started hitting the bottle during the Boston tryout and everyone but Bacall wanted him replaced. And she was very kind to the original Eve who was replaced out of town in Applause. She was in the room when the actress was told she would not be continuing with the show.

by Anonymousreply 79February 19, 2023 12:51 PM

Harry, let me nurture you with my vag.

by Anonymousreply 80February 19, 2023 12:53 PM

When she died Penny Fuller and Lee Roy Reams who were featured in the original production of Applause were on a radio program being interviewed about her. They had nothing but good things to say about her and how supportive she was. I would have been interested in what Bonnie Franklin had to say though she shared no scenes with her I believe.

by Anonymousreply 81February 19, 2023 1:03 PM

When my mother lived in Boca years ago there was an old man living there who had worked in the NY garment industry. For some reason he got to meet Bacall when she was a young model. He said she was one of the most breathtaking beauties he had ever met.

by Anonymousreply 82February 19, 2023 1:06 PM

She would visit Hepburn often and they were great friends for decades, going back to the shooting of The African Queen. If you real Hepburn's boot about that film you can tell how warm and affectionate she was about Bacall.

Before Hepburn's death many years later Bacall visisted her in Fenwick and Hepburn, who was declining mentally, asked her "What do you want ?" and said that she was tired of giving away all of her money. She CLEARLY didn't recognize Bacall and didn't have all of her mental faculties anymore, but Bacall being the ever defensive one took it personnally. Bacall also whined about all the time it took to visit Hepburn and how it would waste her entire day when she did, like a child begrudgingly visiting parents.

I always wanted to like Bacall but she's the type of personnality that just won't let you.

by Anonymousreply 83February 19, 2023 3:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!