Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Difficulty Loading Thread

This usually happens with long threads over 100 replies. I click on the thread and may be 50 out of 100 replies load. I keep hitting reload and maybe a few more replies appear or none at all. How do I fix this? thanks.

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2022 4:26 AM

Do you generally have trouble getting loads?

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2022 10:01 PM

That's happened to me when a lot of people were posting at the same time during a live event.

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2022 10:05 PM

Yo 'puter in outdated. Faster chips load faster. Just went through this. Noticed my new M1 chip handles long threads with ease.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2022 10:05 PM

Have you tried manual stimulation of your clitoris?

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2022 10:05 PM

You guys are not very helpful.

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2022 11:15 PM

50 loads aren't enough for you?

by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2022 11:46 PM

Thank you for contacting tech support. Your message means a lot to us.

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2022 11:50 PM

It is the web architecture this website is built on to be honest. Not enough resources to take page loading etc...

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2022 3:44 AM

It's most likely not your computer.

It seems that DL pages "pre-load" completely on your browser, then the page will blank out for a second as filters are applied (blocked posters are hidden from thread) and then the page appears again for you to scroll through, this time in its filtered form.

I have found that logging out of DL and reloading the page while logged out) will allow me to load the problematic thread in its entirety. Unfortunately, you will not be able to see WWs or comment. You will also see all blocked posters.

Another solution requires a little timing on your part. Load the problematic thread into a browser tab as usual. Then click the "refresh" button on your browser. The reload button you just clicked will then temporarily become an "X" that, when clicked, will stop the page from loading.

If you click the "X" after the thread has "pre-loaded", but before the filtered page appears (page goes blank for a split second), it will load the whole thread, including blocked posters, WWs, and the comment box. It may take a couple of tries to get the timing right with respect to clicking the "X", but it does work.

Someone posted this technique in a thread a few months ago as a means of seeing blocked posters' comments and I discovered later that it also allowed me to load these irksome threads.

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2022 4:08 AM

Yeah, the design of this web page is equivalent to what an intern at Yahoo circa 2004 would have come up with.

There's simply no pagination. The whole thread is loaded and rendered at once into the browser. Regardless of where the user is at on the thread. This can make your browser choke a little.

It's as if Google Maps was loading all the maps of all the places on Earth, at all levels of details, all at once. It's as if YouTube was downloading a video all at once before play starting to play it. It's a of Instagram was downloading your feed all at once before rendering the first picture. Etc. You get the idea.

Dumb.

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2022 4:13 AM

You know, I'm surprised that DL has gone this long without a complete site refresh. Maybe because everyone bitched so much about this current design. If I remember correctly this was done to make DL easier to view on mobile devices, but it is glitchy in a way that wasn't in previous designs.

by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2022 4:15 AM

I have only had this problem on my iPhone, never on any laptop or desktop computer.

by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2022 4:16 AM

R11, they might have redesigned to make it easier to read on mobile devices, but they only change the UI, i.e. how things look. The crappy logic to load the content of the thread remained crappy. Hence the long page load time and other browser freezing issues that OP is complaining about.

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2022 4:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!