Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you ever get a hotel room just to get away from family or loved ones?

I’m thinking about doing that and turning off my phone. I really need sleep and don’t want to be bothered.

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2022 12:20 PM

Just kill them all.

It's cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2022 8:31 PM

Yes. I once spent the weekend in a nice hotel. No one knew where I was and, in pre cell phone days, could not find me.

I spent the weekend sleeping and ordering room service. It was fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2022 8:35 PM

I used to do that when I lived at home and needed a break. I would tell my parents that I was going to a party and was staying over so I didn't drink and drive. They bought it and never knew. Of course, given their opinion of me, they probably thought that I was up to far worse than what actually was going on! That was many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2022 8:42 PM

Yep! It’s great and will make you happier at home.

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2022 9:05 PM

My brother has seven kids and does this quite often. Apparently doesn't mind leaving his wife to look after all of them.

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2022 9:05 PM

Oh yes

by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2022 9:08 PM

It didn’t work out so well for me.

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2022 9:11 PM

I just did over the Thanksgiving holiday.

My flight left at 5:00AM, which means I had to be at the airport at 3AM in order to get checked in and go through security.

I knew I'd be a zombie so I told my family I would not be there the until the next day and checked into a hotel just to have a good night's sleep before I had to deal with my family's eccentricities. I couldn't possibly face that situation sleep deprived.

by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2022 9:14 PM

I always take a hotel when visiting my family, OP. It's just wonderful to have some peace and quiet.

So yes, do it: Treat yourself. Make sure you get one with a nice bathtub, room service, and good airconditioning/heating.

Also: Be sure the rooms are well-soundproofed!

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2022 9:14 PM

I've done what R8 did. I've also lied and said my boyfriend and I were going to be spending that Christmas with his parents.

Instead we stayed home and had a great time

by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2022 9:19 PM

Don't disappear on loved ones if you are the type of family that have frequent contact. Be polite and either tell the truth or make up a good excuse for why you won't be reachable for 2 or 3 days. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 11December 7, 2022 9:25 PM

Ive done it. I’ve been in a difficult relationship for years. Sometimes to be away from it I’ve stayed in local DC hotels or NYC hotels or even my garage in DC. Now for the last 2 years I’ve been renting a whole other separate apartment in NYC. But Ive done it for the peace. We might break up now that I rarely go home to DC even though I own the home 2 miles from the White House. So I get wanting peace. If you have the money do it.Or deal with your visitors and house issues.

by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2022 10:03 PM

I try to do it twice a year. I have a husband and two sons under the age of 7. It’s necessary to stay sane. Once I stayed just down the street from my house!

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2022 3:06 AM

Yes, OP, I almost got a room today. My partner was driving me over the edge. I didn't want to continue fighting the next day, so I just took my blood pressure meds and drove around till it was dark. Faked making up. Love hurts.

by Anonymousreply 14December 8, 2022 6:00 AM

What were you fighting about, R14?

You can tell us: The DataLounge is a safe space.

by Anonymousreply 15December 8, 2022 7:16 AM

I checked into B&B to get away from pet sitting a Great Dane and my thoroughtly indignant about a house guest Abyssinian and Siamese. The Dane was one of the most vocal dogs I've ever experienced. Returning home after a few hours of doing errands, I was met at the door by the Dane and my two cats, demanding my immediate and full attention to vociferously complain about one another. Especially the Dane. Who jumped up, rested his paws on my shoulders and proceeded to vehemently vocalize in my face about how horribly he was being mistreated by my cats. It got to the point that the critter cacophany was so loud/persistent, that it was either kill myself or the critters. Instead, I made sure everyone had enough water and food, took the Dane out to pee. Then grabbed a few things and headed to a B&B a few blocks away for the night. Perfect peace.

by Anonymousreply 16December 8, 2022 7:36 AM

Seriously considering doing this for my next birthday (31).

Last year I had to spend it with distant relatives, because my mother ‘suprised’ (r:tricked) me into coming by the house with them there, and I was not best pleased as I hate suprises and I am not close or trusting with my family (disgusted by the way they conduct their rancid lives, and still waiting on apologies from them for dumping their responsibilities onto me). I had to bail after brunch to keep from cannoning into anyone with anger, unprepared with no food or cash on me, and wound up wandering around my town and local area all day by myself at a loose end with no plans. I made a game of it and had a nice enough time, but ended up wasting a day and getting so stressed because of the blindsiding.

A hotel on my own, and maybe going to get a massage or manipedi then seeing a show or sports game sounds like heaven. Can’t believe I never thought of it before.

by Anonymousreply 17December 8, 2022 7:53 AM

I have a Rich Lady friend who hops over to Courchevel when she needs to get away. She's invited me several times but I can't deal with that airport, and she refuses to take a helicopter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 8, 2022 10:34 AM

R18 tell her your good friend DUTCHIE will gladly accompany her.

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2022 12:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!