Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Best Gingerbread You'll Ever Eat

Guess what? I am going to share with everyone here, my recipe for the [bold] BEST [/bold] recipe for gingerbread. I am not a big fan of gingerbread—except for this recipe. It's particularly good warm from the oven and served with whipped cream or lemon sauce. I hope you'll give it a try!

[bold] GREG'S SHOCKINGLY GOOD GINGERBREAD RECIPE [/bold]

[bold] INGREDIENTS [/bold]

-1 cup sugar

-1 cup molasses (I like to use Grandma's Molasses)

-1 cup vegetable oil

-3 eggs

-¾ teaspoon salt

-1 teaspoon cloves

-1 teaspoon ginger

-1 teaspoon cinnamon

-2 cups flour

-2 teaspoons baking soda

-1 cup boiling water

[bold] PROCEDURE [/bold]

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grease and lightly flour an 8-inch square pan.

3. Put sugar, molasses, oil, and eggs in a mixing bowl and beat with a big whisk until smooth.

4. In another bowl, combine the salt, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, flour, and baking soda and stir with a fork until well mixed.

5. Stir the dry ingredient mixture into the first mixture. Add the boiling water and beat briskly until smooth. [bold] NOTE: [/bold] This is a thin batter.

6. Pour into the pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.

7. Cut into big squares and dust with powdered sugar [put powdered sugar into a fine sieve or mesh strainer]. Serve warm topped with lightly sweetened whipped cream or lemon sauce.

by Anonymousreply 174January 9, 2023 10:06 PM

Sounds fucking delicious! Thanks, Greg!

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2022 5:10 PM

Yeah, that's my late Grandma Ella's (born 1889) recipe...along with two other ingredients I'm not allowed to share.

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2022 5:13 PM

I would double the amount of ginger. It's called GINGERbread for a reason, so ginger should be the predominant spice.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2022 5:14 PM

So you left out two ingredients Greg? How thoughtful of you.

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2022 5:17 PM

[quote] Yeah, that's my late Grandma Ella's (born 1889) recipe...along with two other ingredients I'm not allowed to share.

Come on...what are they? Crystallized ginger?

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2022 5:21 PM

[quote] So you left out two ingredients Greg? How thoughtful of you.

No, I left nothing out.

Stop trying to cause trouble.

by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2022 5:22 PM

FOAD, food fag.

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2022 5:24 PM

[quote]Stop trying to cause trouble.

You're the one who said it.

[quote]two other ingredients I'm not allowed to share.

by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2022 5:25 PM

I'm trying it this weekend, Greg. It had better be the best goddamn gingerbread ever or you will have A LOT to answer for!

JK! A chef friend gave me a triple ginger bread recipe that's amazing, but this looks great, too.

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2022 5:26 PM

[quote] I would double the amount of ginger. It's called GINGERbread for a reason, so ginger should be the predominant spice.

Be my guest! Do what you like.

by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2022 5:30 PM

Thanks Greg. I made your lemon chicken thighs this past Saturday, and almost ate myself into a coma. Delicious!

by Anonymousreply 11December 7, 2022 5:41 PM

[quote] Stop trying to cause trouble. // You're the one who said it.

No, I did not. I did not say that at all. My recipe is complete as is.

by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2022 5:41 PM

[quote] Thanks Greg. I made your lemon chicken thighs this past Saturday, and almost ate myself into a coma. Delicious!

Hey, R11! I'm happy to hear that. Which lemon chicken thigh recipe did you make? My chicken fricassee with lemon & rosemary?

That is SUCH a good recipe.

by Anonymousreply 13December 7, 2022 5:45 PM

[quote] I'm trying it this weekend, Greg. It had better be the best goddamn gingerbread ever or you will have A LOT to answer for! JK! A chef friend gave me a triple ginger bread recipe that's amazing, but this looks great, too.

Hey, R9—I guarantee you that this will be the best goddamn gingerbread you've ever made or tasted. Don't overcook it and eat it warm. It is delicious!

by Anonymousreply 14December 7, 2022 5:48 PM

Can you add a prune sauce?

by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2022 5:50 PM

[quote] FOAD, food fag.

Dear JOBMAN34 - R7 — you are hostile and rude. Try to control yourself.

Have you ever tried my loin of cod with prunes and tomato sauce? You'd really like it.

xo

by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2022 5:51 PM

Reads good, Greg. No joke.

Can you use butter instead of oil? I like baking with butter for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 17December 7, 2022 5:51 PM

[quote] Can you add a prune sauce?

Sure! If you like, I think it would be fine. Gingerbread and dried plums could work. Let us know!

by Anonymousreply 18December 7, 2022 5:53 PM

I love gingerbread!

This sounds really nice so I will absolutely try it! Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2022 5:54 PM

Use Crisco, also is a great lube.

by Anonymousreply 20December 7, 2022 5:54 PM

[quote] Reads good, Greg. No joke. Can you use butter instead of oil? I like baking with butter for some reason.

Thanks, R17! Yes, you can substitute butter for the oil if you like. Just so you know: vegetable oil contributes moistness far more reliably than butter—a result of the fact that oil remains liquid at room temperature while butter solidifies. Liquid contributes to the sensation of moistness, and therefore cakes made with oil often present as moister than their butter-based counterparts.

But if you want to use butter, just replace the oil (1:1).

by Anonymousreply 21December 7, 2022 5:57 PM

[quote]But if you want to use butter, just replace the oil (1:1).

Question: While oil adds to the sensation of moistness, does butter TASTE better.

I switched out butter for oil in brownies and it made a world of difference in taste and no noticeable difference in moistness.

by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2022 6:00 PM

[quote] I love gingerbread! This sounds really nice so I will absolutely try it! Thank you!

Great, Pelops-1. I hope you like it as much as I do. Let us know!

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2022 6:01 PM

Thanks, Greg, defintely saving this one.

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2022 6:04 PM

[quote] Question: While oil adds to the sensation of moistness, does butter TASTE better. I switched out butter for oil in brownies and it made a world of difference in taste and no noticeable difference in moistness.

You switched out oil for butter (you substituted butter for oil). Yes, butter will always taste better. In this gingerbread recipe, the ginger/molasses/spices are such strong flavors that I'm not sure that the taste of the butter will come through. I think you should try it and report back.

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2022 6:06 PM

[quote] Thanks, Greg, defintely saving this one.

You'll like it, R24!

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2022 6:07 PM

[quote] Use Crisco, also is a great lube.

Obviously, that was not from me.

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2022 6:08 PM

Thanks, Greg. Gingerbread will look terrific on my turquoise Fiestaware.

by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2022 6:08 PM

[quote]Stop trying to cause trouble. // You're the one who said it.

[quote]No, I did not. I did not say that at all. My recipe is complete as is.

[quote]Yeah, that's my late Grandma Ella's (born 1889) recipe...along with two other ingredients I'm not allowed to share.

So what the actual fuck did that mean then?

by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2022 6:18 PM

R29, what did that mean? It meant that someone else said that this recipe is also a recipe that his/her grandmother used, but with two other ingredients. What don't you understand?

[quote] Yeah, that's my late Grandma Ella's (born 1889) recipe...along with two other ingredients I'm not allowed to share.

Grandma Ella is NOT my grandmother. Do you understand this?

Can someone else help here?

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2022 6:22 PM

[quote] —Not that I would presume that you have ever had an actual fuck.

R29, you are rude. Very rude indeed. And yes, I have had plenty of actual fucks. More than you, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2022 6:23 PM

[quote] Thanks, Greg. Gingerbread will look terrific on my turquoise Fiestaware.

Great! Let us know what you think!

by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2022 6:27 PM

Au contraire - THIS is the best gingerbread you will ever eat. Nigella recipe and pure perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2022 6:30 PM

R29, did you not see my question in R5? I asked R2 to share his grandmother's two missing ingredients.

You are a handful.

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2022 6:31 PM

R33, this link is probably what you meant to share.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2022 6:32 PM

It is Greg - thank you.

by Anonymousreply 36December 7, 2022 6:49 PM

Yes Greg, it was the fricassee with lemon and rosemary. Absolutely one of the best recipes I've used in a long while. Thanks again, truly.

by Anonymousreply 37December 7, 2022 6:50 PM

Mwah! R11/R37

by Anonymousreply 38December 7, 2022 6:55 PM

That Gingerbread recipe is ridiculous.

2 cups of flour but only 1 teaspoon of ginger?

And the ginger, cloves and cinnamon should not be in equal portions.

And 3 eggs sound like one too many for that amount of flour.

by Anonymousreply 39December 7, 2022 7:00 PM

Don't make it then ^^

by Anonymousreply 40December 7, 2022 7:08 PM

I need a good chicken recipe so if someone wants to link me to the lemon fricasse one that would be great.

by Anonymousreply 41December 7, 2022 7:12 PM

[quote] That Gingerbread recipe is ridiculous. 2 cups of flour but only 1 teaspoon of ginger? And the ginger, cloves and cinnamon should not be in equal portions. And 3 eggs sound like one too many for that amount of flour.

Well, R39, then don't make it! Isn't that easy?

For the rest of you, I've been making this for years. I do not believe that it's ridiculous at all. It's delicious.

by Anonymousreply 42December 7, 2022 7:33 PM

[quote] I need a good chicken recipe so if someone wants to link me to the lemon fricasse one that would be great.

Here it is! Just go to R41 to find the recipe. I hope you love it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 7, 2022 7:36 PM

Sorry, the recipe is at the above link under R25.

by Anonymousreply 44December 7, 2022 7:37 PM

Wow! My great-great grandmother was born in 1889 (and was dead long before I came along.)

I bet she must have had some great stories about experiencing electricity and horseless carriages for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 45December 7, 2022 7:37 PM

[bold] GREG'S TRULY DELICIOUS FRICASSEED CHICKEN with ROSEMARY & LEMON [/bold]

[bold] INGREDIENTS [/bold]

4 chicken thighs (trimmed of any excess fat)

2 Tablespoons of EVOO

1 Tablespoon of unsalted butter

4 2-inch sprigs of fresh rosemary

2 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly smashed

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1/3 cup dry white wine

4 Tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice

Grated zest of 1 lemon

1 Tablespoon of unsalted butter (optional)

------------------------------ - --

[bold] PROCEDURE [/bold]

1. Wash chicken with cold water and thoroughly dry it.

2. Choose a lidded sauté pan large enough to eventually accommodate the chicken in a single layer without overlapping.

3. Season the chicken thighs well on BOTH sides, with kosher salt and black pepper.

4. Place oil and butter in the pan over medium-high heat. When the butter foam subsides, put in the chicken, skin-side down. Brown the chicken well on both sides. This might take a while on the fat side, but you really want to render the fat and get the skin to be a nice crispy, dark golden brown.

5. Once the chicken is a lovely dark golden brown, remove it from the pan.

6. Add the rosemary sprigs and the smashed garlic cloves (be very careful to not burn the garlic!). Stir it around for 2 to 3 minutes while scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Don't walk away from the pan at this point. If the pan is too hot, turn it down.

7. Return the chicken thighs to the pan and turn them around in the oil, rosemary, and garlic to get those nice flavors all over the chicken.

8. Add the wine and bring and bring it to a brisk simmer, making sure that there is no fond stuck to the bottom of the pan. Simmer for about 20 seconds then lower the heat so that the liquid is at a very low simmer (be sure it is a very low simmer).

9. Place the lid on the pan, leaving it slightly ajar and cook for 50 minutes, occasionally turning the pieces of chicken to ensure even cooking. While the chicken is cooking, occasionally check the liquid in the pan. If it ever gets too low, just add a few tablespoons of chicken stock.

10. After 50 minutes of cooking at a very low simmer, transfer the chicken thighs to a warm serving platter, using a slotted spoon. Tent lightly with foil.

11. Tip the pan and spoon off all but a little bit of the fat (or you could use a fat separator if you have one).

12. Add the lemon juice and zest to the pan and place over medium-low heat to deglaze the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape loose any brown bits on the bottom and sides of the pan. If you want to increase the yield of sauce, add some homemade chicken stock to the pan. Taste it and see what it needs (salt, pepper, lemon juice/zest). You can incorporate a tablespoon of butter, if you like to give the sauce a richer flavor. Make sure the sauce tastes delicious and lemony!

13. Now—you can either just pour the pan juices over the chicken and serve at once—or, if you want to re-crisp the chicken skin, place the chicken on a sheet pan under the broiler until the chicken skins gets crisp again. If you do this, watch it carefully so that it does not burn or dry out.

I like to garnish this with some chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves.

by Anonymousreply 46December 7, 2022 7:38 PM

[quote] Wow! My great-great grandmother was born in 1889 (and was dead long before I came along.) I bet she must have had some great stories about experiencing electricity and horseless carriages for the first time.

I bet she did.

by Anonymousreply 47December 7, 2022 7:42 PM

[quote]-1 cup molasses (I like to use Grandma's Molasses)

Stop taking my stuff! Buy your own damn molasses, Greg!

by Anonymousreply 48December 7, 2022 7:52 PM

[quote] -1 cup silicone lube (I like to use Grandpa's lube)

Stop taking my stuff! Buy your own damn lube, Greg!

by Anonymousreply 49December 7, 2022 7:55 PM

May one assume that the one teaspoon of cloves is for powdered/ground cloves?

by Anonymousreply 50December 7, 2022 8:37 PM

[quote] May one assume that the one teaspoon of cloves is for powdered/ground cloves?

Yes, R50, you want to use ground cloves for this recipe.

by Anonymousreply 51December 7, 2022 8:39 PM

Posting a "best evah" recipe with 2 ingredients left out is a dick move, Gregory.

by Anonymousreply 52December 7, 2022 8:42 PM

Greg, how do you make the lemon sauce?

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 53December 7, 2022 8:48 PM

[quote] Posting a "best evah" recipe with 2 ingredients left out is a dick move, Gregory.

I did not leave out any ingredients. God, you're as stupid as that other guy.

by Anonymousreply 54December 7, 2022 8:52 PM

[quote] Greg, how do you make the lemon sauce?

Hey, R53, I will post a recipe for it here as soon as I can.

by Anonymousreply 55December 7, 2022 8:53 PM

Oldie moldies like me remember this song from the original presentation. Youngers heard it thanks to Marvel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 7, 2022 8:57 PM

Love the prepubescent gayling in the orange shirt at the bottom left at 1:40. It's funny, all of the men are butt ugly and all of the women are 60's " hot." Wonder how many of the women actually sing and how many are hired go-go dancers.

by Anonymousreply 57December 7, 2022 9:01 PM

[quote]God, you're as stupid as that other guy.

As that stupid other guy, I can only say you are not nearly as articulate as you think you are.

by Anonymousreply 58December 7, 2022 9:38 PM

Nasty cretin.

by Anonymousreply 59December 7, 2022 9:40 PM

And proud of it.

by Anonymousreply 60December 7, 2022 9:45 PM

Lol, Greg, can't do it; I would be disowned by my father's side of the family. And I am not playing.

One year when we had a family reunion a much-older cousin put Grandma's recipe in that year's book, along with the standard genealogy stuff. That cousin was EXCORIATED.

by Anonymousreply 61December 7, 2022 10:51 PM

GAY-reg, Matt Damon and I both hate you.

by Anonymousreply 62December 7, 2022 10:55 PM

Sometimes gingerbread spice includes allspice and nutmeg in addition to the ones that Greg's recipe included. (Even a pinch of black pepper!) When it comes to spice mixtures, people have their preferences - but the dominant flavor in gingerbread will be ginger, so other spices just add a little complexity to the flavor.

PS My grandmother and great grandma didn't bake, so I'm not the person with the secret ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 63December 8, 2022 12:14 AM

[quote] GAY-reg, Matt Damon and I both hate you.

Who cares? You bore me.

by Anonymousreply 64December 9, 2022 12:15 AM

[quote] As that stupid other guy, I can only say you are not nearly as articulate as you think you are.

Oh, but I am. You just have trouble with reading comprehension. The poster with the grandmother and the two missing ingredients wasn't me. It was a lady poster. You still don't get it. Wow. Do you still take the short bus to school?

In all seriousness, I'm flattered and happy that you are going to make my fucking gingerbread even though I suck. Think of me however you wish, but I guarantee that you'll adore my gingerbread (stupid comment from R39 notwithstanding).

by Anonymousreply 65December 9, 2022 12:21 AM

I love being fucked with vegetable oil as lube, but don't mind butter. Just make sure not to reuse it in baking.

by Anonymousreply 66December 9, 2022 6:09 AM

One thing I might add is that presentation and atmosphere are everything when serving gingerbread to your friends. For holiday gatherings, I tend to splurge by hiring staff to serve drinks and make sure everyone is comfortable. As I am getting older, I just can't be bothered with the clean up. It's also important to me to hire a diverse staff and make sure they are generously compensated. I always believe in paying it forward. In that spirit, I make bespoke gingerbread men to favor their servers. Adding just a 1 teaspoon of a cacao dense dark cocoa that you can buy at Whole Foods creates a Brown to Black look. The staff get such a kick out of it. It's really the least I can do.

by Anonymousreply 67December 9, 2022 7:10 AM

Greg, please don’t forget the lemon sauce recipe!

by Anonymousreply 68December 11, 2022 7:57 PM

The cod is missing.

by Anonymousreply 69December 11, 2022 8:10 PM

[quote] The cod is missing.

I like to serve my gingerbread topped with a bit of salt cod.

by Anonymousreply 70December 11, 2022 9:34 PM

R67, nice try.

by Anonymousreply 71December 11, 2022 9:34 PM

Greg at r71, Greg at r67 was actually rather convincing.

by Anonymousreply 72December 11, 2022 9:44 PM

Thank you, R72, but I am not a racist.

by Anonymousreply 73December 11, 2022 9:49 PM

Yes I am

by Anonymousreply 74December 11, 2022 10:37 PM

Not a fan of cakey gingerbread. I like the kind you make cookies with.

by Anonymousreply 75December 11, 2022 10:58 PM

I love both the cakey kind AND the crispy cookie type.

I used to LOVE those Pepperidge Farm Gingermen Cookies!

by Anonymousreply 76December 12, 2022 4:29 AM

[quote] I used to LOVE those Pepperidge Farm Gingermen Cookies!

Anna's Ginger Swedish Thins are nice and crisp. And Stauffer's Ginger Snaps are also very good. I like to eat them with cheese (a blue cheese or something sharp is nice).

by Anonymousreply 77December 12, 2022 1:06 PM

Tried the recipe last night, Greg. It’s quite dense, isn’t it?

I could really taste the molasses but not so much the spices. I think I may try a bit today with my gingerbread cookie icing recipe.

When I tried it last night (still warm from the oven), I had bee baking all day so I was a bit tired and out of sorts.

But it’s quite nice and warming. Also, I used olive oil and not butter. Moist and spongey but the top and sides were from and crisp.

by Anonymousreply 78December 12, 2022 6:05 PM

I tried making the gingerbread and it was uncharacteristically awful. Might as well call it pumpkin spice Play Doh. I followed all directions perfectly and not even the dogs would touch it. You usually bring so much to the table here, Greg, but this was a surprising and disappointing miss. Please do better.

by Anonymousreply 79December 12, 2022 6:38 PM

Question to all the DL bakers: I have blackstrap molasses and wonder if it is acceptable for this recipe. I've never tasted straight molasses so I have no idea if there is a big difference in flavor. To my understanding, blackstrap is less filter/refined/healthier? than the other stuff, but don't know if it will wreck something like this quick bread.

Please advise and thanks.

by Anonymousreply 80December 12, 2022 7:37 PM

Wondering if you could skip making the lemon sauce and just use lemon curd from Trader Joe’s 🤔

by Anonymousreply 81December 12, 2022 7:47 PM

Hi, R80. Please do not substitute blackstrap molasses for true molasses.

[bold] What Is True Molasses? [/bold]

Sugar content: 70%.

Moisture content: Higher than blackstrap molasses.

Texture: Light.

Taste: Pleasantly bittersweet, with a bright note of acidity.

For the uninitiated, molasses is produced from crushed sugarcane. Similar to olive oil, the first extraction has the lightest flavor and color, while each subsequent batch is darker and more robust. True molasses is boiled twice.

[bold] What Is Blackstrap Molasses? [/bold]

Sugar content: 45%.

Moisture content: Low.

Texture: Dense.

Taste: Bitter and salty.

With a third boiling and further concentrating, thermal decomposition carbonizes molasses' remaining sugars into a black, very bitter, and downright salty sludge. This, R80, is blackstrap molasses. It has a sugar content of only 45% and a whopping 1% of your daily sodium content in every spoonful. For those reasons, it should absolutely never be used in place of molasses unless a recipe specifically calls for blackstrap by name.

Look for Grandma's Molasses in the grocery store. Grandma's Molasses is made of the highest grade sugarcane molasses that is unsulfured and contains no preservatives, artificial flavors or artificial colors. It is a high quality, unsulfured, sun-ripened sugarcane molasses.

by Anonymousreply 82December 12, 2022 7:51 PM

[quote]Might as well call it pumpkin spice Play Doh.

That's because it has too many eggs for the amount of flour.

It tasted like pumpkin spice because the spices are in equal portions. The ginger should be the protagonist.

by Anonymousreply 83December 12, 2022 11:19 PM

I miss Dromedary. "Just add water to Dromedary Gingerbread Mix, stir and bake!" That was it. And it was delicious every time.

The Dromedary mix was based on a recipe from Mary Washington (mother of George) from 1784. It was sadly discontinued around 2013.

See the link below to read how the Daughters of the American Revolution sold a gingerbread recipe to a cake mix company to save a historic house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 13, 2022 7:15 AM

^ And here is a version of the Mary Ball Washington gingerbread recipe. It includes honey, brandy, orange juice and orange zest. It also includes raisins, but I'm sure you can just leave those out if you prefer. There is another version of this recipe where the gingerbread is topped with "Fairy Butter".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 13, 2022 7:22 AM

I don't understand why so many people troll Greg, and I don't like it. He seems delightful.

by Anonymousreply 86December 13, 2022 7:56 AM

Because, he's far too grand for the likes of me. Big fish in the DL pond. Talks down to those of us who do cook.

by Anonymousreply 87December 13, 2022 8:24 AM

Thanks Greg! I made the cake and loved it! I made no substitutions.

by Anonymousreply 88December 13, 2022 9:25 AM

Go back to i-village, Greg!

by Anonymousreply 89December 13, 2022 9:56 AM

[quote] Go back to i-village, Greg!

I think I'm good, thanks, R89.

by Anonymousreply 90December 13, 2022 7:41 PM

[quote] Thanks Greg! I made the cake and loved it! I made no substitutions.

Hey AmericanOverseas! I'm so glad you liked the gingerbread. I think it's a great recipe.

by Anonymousreply 91December 13, 2022 7:41 PM

[quote] Because, he's far too grand for the likes of me. Big fish in the DL pond. Talks down to those of us who do cook.

Just because you have an inferiority complex doesn't mean I talk down to those of you who cook. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 92December 13, 2022 7:43 PM

[quote] That's because it has too many eggs for the amount of flour.

[bold] No, it doesn't. [/bold]

[quote] It tasted like pumpkin spice because the spices are in equal portions. The ginger should be the protagonist.

[bold] The spices are just right. [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 93December 13, 2022 7:44 PM

[quote] I tried making the gingerbread and it was uncharacteristically awful. Might as well call it pumpkin spice Play Doh. I followed all directions perfectly and not even the dogs would touch it. You usually bring so much to the table here, Greg, but this was a surprising and disappointing miss. Please do better.

Well, R79, you must have done something wrong. I've been making this recipe for years and have served it to countless guests and also clients. It is nothing like Play Doh and does not have that terrible pumpkin spice taste.

I encourage others to pay no attention to this criticism and give it a try. It's really good.

by Anonymousreply 94December 13, 2022 7:47 PM

[quote]No, you are wrong on all counts.

But aren't you the one who posted things like risotto cooked in a pressure cooker and some horrible pasta recipe?

Here is a pretty standard gingerbread recipe. Less eggs. More ginger. Light and with the proper taste: of ginger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 13, 2022 7:52 PM

R93 No, you are wrong on all counts.

But aren't you the one who posted things like risotto cooked in a pressure cooker and some horrible pasta recipe?

Here is a pretty standard gingerbread recipe. Less eggs. More ginger. Light and with the proper taste: of ginger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 13, 2022 7:53 PM

R95/R96: "fewer" eggs.

by Anonymousreply 97December 13, 2022 8:00 PM

R97 English is not my first language. But ...grazie... for the correction.

by Anonymousreply 98December 13, 2022 8:09 PM

Well, I gifted some of the gingerbread to my neighbors who are older and they were excited to receive it. I told them it was a new recipe and to please let me know how they like it.

Both of them in their 80s and said they love gingerbread but don’t make it anymore. I will certainly report back on their opinions.

I will also give the other gingerbread recipes shared here a try. I love the stuff but it’s just me and I can’t eat all of it myself so I have to share.

by Anonymousreply 99December 14, 2022 6:24 PM

THANK YOU GREG ! I love gingerbread and thank u in advance cuz i am going to make this. Had tried other recipes but they didnt have that deep richness i was craving, maybe it is the molasses. Merry Christmas to you.

by Anonymousreply 100December 14, 2022 7:09 PM

[quote]maybe it is the molasses

Gingerbread without molasses is like Greg without smegma!

by Anonymousreply 101December 14, 2022 8:38 PM

When I think gingerbread I think dough, for gingerbread men, but I'm sure this makes a tasty sort cake thingy.

by Anonymousreply 102December 14, 2022 8:42 PM

[quote] Gingerbread without molasses is like Greg without smegma!

What a nice thing to say, R101.

I always wanted to believe that, as a whole, gay people possessed more class and intelligence than their straight counterparts. Thank you for providing evidence that my thinking was misguided. Oh, and for embarrassing yourself.

by Anonymousreply 103December 15, 2022 2:59 PM

Well you certainly don't. Class - that awful word - rises above being insults, but you've got to lower yourself every time.

You're a hypocrite, if a committed cook.

by Anonymousreply 104December 15, 2022 3:01 PM

[quote] Well you certainly don't. Class - that awful word - rises above being insults, but you've got to lower yourself every time. You're a hypocrite, if a committed cook.

Thank you. Just curious, what is your mother tongue?

by Anonymousreply 105December 15, 2022 3:03 PM

Keep my mother's tongue out of your filthy mouth!

by Anonymousreply 106December 15, 2022 3:08 PM

You see, you prove my point. I knew you'd pounce on the typo. It's why I put it there. You're actually a petty, nasty person. So pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 107December 15, 2022 3:10 PM

[quote] You see, you prove my point. I knew you'd pounce on the typo. It's why I put it there. You're actually a petty, nasty person. So pathetic.

Oh, man, I can't stop laughing at you. You included a typo to see if I would bite. Sure, Jan.

Yep, I am petty, nasty, and pathetic. Whatever you say. Have a nice day!

by Anonymousreply 108December 15, 2022 3:42 PM

R101/R104/R107: Let's not forget that it was you who, in response to my sharing a recipe for gingerbread, used the word, 'smegma.'

So, before you get too high and mighty, calling me hypocritical, nasty, and pathetic, I suggest you look inward. You are the very things you accuse me of being. And furthermore, you are a big jerk. So I suggest you get lost and stop advertising your stupidity here.

by Anonymousreply 109December 15, 2022 8:44 PM

I just made it -- excellent recipe, thanks Greg. Easy too.

My own opinion, though -- a little too sweet. I'd cut the sugar in half, I think.

by Anonymousreply 110December 17, 2022 10:51 AM

Interesting, R110. I'd love to hear how that comes out. If you try reducing the sugar, please let us know.

by Anonymousreply 111December 17, 2022 2:40 PM

You'll pay for that, R110.

by Anonymousreply 112December 17, 2022 2:41 PM

R112, Rubbish! You have no power here. Be gone!

by Anonymousreply 113December 17, 2022 2:59 PM

R85, here's the version from the Mount Vernon website. The Fairy Butter spread sounds gross—hard-boiled egg yolks mashed into a paste with butter, sugar, and orange-flower water.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114December 17, 2022 3:09 PM

R85, the Fairy Butter does sound gross. Anyone here ever tried it?

by Anonymousreply 115December 17, 2022 4:16 PM

Greg, you've done it again! I made this yesterday and it was amazing. I think I will top it with some whipped cream later today. Thanks for the recipe.

by Anonymousreply 116December 17, 2022 4:23 PM

"I am going to share with everyone here, my recipe for the BEST recipe for gingerbread."

Your recipe for the best recipe? Please copy edit before posting, Greg. This would have helped you avoid the whole mandolin/mandoline debacle, too.

by Anonymousreply 117December 17, 2022 4:36 PM

Greg, you share so much here that people eat up, pardon the pun. Have you ever thought about a website?

by Anonymousreply 118December 17, 2022 4:38 PM

I got the Brer Rabbit molasses because I liked dapper rabbit on the label (Grandma look slightly embalmed). Will that still work?

by Anonymousreply 119December 17, 2022 4:39 PM

[quote] Your recipe for the best recipe? Please copy edit before posting, Greg. This would have helped you avoid the whole mandolin/mandoline debacle, too.

Thank you for your advice, R117.

by Anonymousreply 120December 17, 2022 4:54 PM

[quote] I got the Brer Rabbit molasses because I liked dapper rabbit on the label (Grandma look slightly embalmed). Will that still work?

As long as it’s “Full Flavor” and [bold] not [/bold] blackstrap, R119.

by Anonymousreply 121December 17, 2022 4:58 PM

[quote] Greg, you've done it again! I made this yesterday and it was amazing. I think I will top it with some whipped cream later today. Thanks for the recipe.

Hey, thanks, R116! I like it very much. It’s so good warm with lightly whipped cream. Merry Christmas!

by Anonymousreply 122December 17, 2022 5:17 PM

[quote] Greg, you share so much here that people eat up, pardon the pun. Have you ever thought about a website?

No, R118. I prefer sharing my thoughts, tips, and recipes with the DL flotsam and jetsam.

by Anonymousreply 123December 17, 2022 5:20 PM

What a nice, if typical, way to put it. Contempt for your audience is a real brand builder. But then again, your brand...

by Anonymousreply 124December 17, 2022 5:41 PM

[quote] What a nice, if typical, way to put it. Contempt for your audience is a real brand builder. But then again, your brand...

Thank you, R124! If you’ve ever read some of the comments directed at me, you’d agree that my saying flotsam and jetsam was charitable. Of course, most guys out here are friendly and nice, but there is an unkind element. I feel no compunction about my choice of words. Have a nice day!

by Anonymousreply 125December 17, 2022 5:52 PM

Greg, I made the gingerbread tonight. It was delicious! Moist and flavorful, and went great with some whipped cream.

by Anonymousreply 126December 18, 2022 2:17 AM

You can substitute boiling ginger ale for the boiling water.

by Anonymousreply 127December 18, 2022 2:18 AM

Greg, thanks for all you bring to DL. I hope you'll share your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day menus. I'm doing prime rib.

by Anonymousreply 128December 18, 2022 2:24 AM

Why do I have the feeling the posters here aren't the usual DLers...

by Anonymousreply 129December 18, 2022 2:31 AM

Can we PLEASE discuss the lemon sauce?!

by Anonymousreply 130December 18, 2022 8:39 AM

r130, make lemon curd and fold whipped cream into it.

by Anonymousreply 131December 18, 2022 11:32 AM

Buy lemon curd at TJ's, and call it a day. The gingerbread recipe is nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 132December 19, 2022 6:34 AM

R131 that sounds good…but more of a fluffy topping. I want a damn sauce!

by Anonymousreply 133December 19, 2022 7:35 AM

I loved the gingerbread recipe.

by Anonymousreply 134December 19, 2022 3:50 PM

Here's a simple recipe for lemon sauce, r133.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135December 21, 2022 9:47 PM

Thank you R135! I’ll try it over Greg’s gingerbread.

by Anonymousreply 136December 22, 2022 4:03 AM

Greg, thanks so much. Everyone loved this, so I made 25 batches for family, friends and neighbors.

People were crying tears of joy.

by Anonymousreply 137December 22, 2022 4:40 AM

^ I got abdominal cramping and diarrhea...

but whatevs

by Anonymousreply 138December 22, 2022 5:15 AM

R138, the abdominal cramping and diarrhea are the best parts. I love that.

by Anonymousreply 139December 22, 2022 10:15 AM

Greg, thanks for posting this. It's nice to see a recipe for gingerbread that is intended for people to eat.

by Anonymousreply 140December 23, 2022 1:22 AM

Thanks Greg! I made it for a neighbor who works for the Food Network, and he loved it so much they are giving me my own show!

by Anonymousreply 141December 23, 2022 2:29 AM

Meh. It needs more cowbell Greg.

by Anonymousreply 142December 23, 2022 2:32 AM

I brought a batch to the Senior Center, and afterwards people in wheelchairs could walk.

Praise Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 143December 23, 2022 8:00 AM

OMG. This cunt.

by Anonymousreply 144December 23, 2022 9:55 AM

Greg, was that actually you on the Joe thread, who posted the denial it was you? You told off Dutchie.

by Anonymousreply 145December 23, 2022 3:37 PM

Yes, that was me, R145.

Why do you ask?

by Anonymousreply 146December 23, 2022 7:15 PM

But I’m not the nitwit who suggested making a mud pie for those in mourning.

by Anonymousreply 147December 23, 2022 8:15 PM

Greg, the gingerbread was excellent. But I used an 8x8 glass baking dish and the sides cooked very quickly, the middle burbled over and down into the bottom of my oven. What the hell?

by Anonymousreply 148December 23, 2022 11:25 PM

I made it, and after my first bite I came hands free

Thanks, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 149December 23, 2022 11:52 PM

R146, I just thought it was really inappropriate for you to import your claws to that thread.

by Anonymousreply 150December 24, 2022 1:07 AM

R150, I imported my claws because someone posted something that I thought was offensive and insensitive to Mark and Joe and then signed his post with my name.

by Anonymousreply 151December 24, 2022 3:34 AM

So, R150, you can get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 152December 24, 2022 3:35 AM

I'm leaving some out tomorrow night for Santa. I hope I get what I want for Christmas - a sense of humor and humility.

by Anonymousreply 153December 24, 2022 4:17 AM

I always make a trip or two to Aldi's for my Authentic Christmas Gingerbread treats, imported from Germany.

I'm a great fan of the milk chocolate covered gingerbread hearts and the frosted gingerbread stars. Delectable with a cup of Kenya Dark Roast.

🎉 No measuring, no baking, no cleanup.

by Anonymousreply 154December 24, 2022 6:22 AM

[quote] I'm leaving some out tomorrow night for Santa. I hope I get what I want for Christmas - a sense of humor and humility.

R153, I hope Santa brings you what you want. I find that having both a sense of humor and humility are keys to a happy life. Good luck being both more amusing and less braggadocious in the new year.

by Anonymousreply 155December 24, 2022 2:48 PM

[quote] I made it, and after my first bite I came hands free. Thanks, Greg.

Yay, R149! Happy to help!

by Anonymousreply 156December 24, 2022 2:50 PM

Get a blog.

by Anonymousreply 157December 24, 2022 2:52 PM

[quote] Thanks Greg! I made it for a neighbor who works for the Food Network, and he loved it so much they are giving me my own show!

Great, R141! Look me up when you get there and we’ll have coffee together. I’ll fill you in on all the hot goss at the Food Network.

by Anonymousreply 158December 24, 2022 2:52 PM

[quote] Get a blog.

Yeah—I don’t think so, R157.

Now run along.

by Anonymousreply 159December 24, 2022 2:54 PM

I made this recipe. And then someone died.

by Anonymousreply 160December 24, 2022 3:22 PM

You have my sympathies, R160.

by Anonymousreply 161December 24, 2022 4:51 PM

[quote] You can substitute boiling ginger ale for the boiling water.

What is the purpose of this? Does it change the taste?

by Anonymousreply 162December 25, 2022 11:45 AM

I'm not a culinary expert, r162, but I assume the ginger ale probably adds extra flavor.

I think a shot of ginger brandy would bump it up another notch.

by Anonymousreply 163December 26, 2022 12:33 AM

I guess my neighbor didn't like it. He scrawled FUCK YOU on my garage door with some of the gingerbread. At least, I hope it was gingerbread.

by Anonymousreply 164December 26, 2022 1:08 PM

Happy New Year, everyone!

Give this wonderful recipe for gingerbread a try!

by Anonymousreply 165January 9, 2023 7:44 PM

[quote] I guess my neighbor didn't like it. He scrawled FUCK YOU on my garage door with some of the gingerbread. At least, I hope it was gingerbread.

You must have fucked it up. Try again.

Also—it sounds like he may have scrawled that instruction using his own excrement.

by Anonymousreply 166January 9, 2023 7:47 PM

Is Greg dead yet? I had him in my 2023 Death Pool.

by Anonymousreply 167January 9, 2023 7:48 PM

[quote] Is Greg dead yet? I had him in my 2023 Death Pool.

No, I am very much alive.

Fuck you!

by Anonymousreply 168January 9, 2023 7:55 PM

Greg, you're like a turd that won't flush. I thought you'd finally disappeared, but you pop back up like a nasty surprise.

by Anonymousreply 169January 9, 2023 8:10 PM

Funny R169, you’ve also perfectly described Greg’s food.

by Anonymousreply 170January 9, 2023 8:14 PM

R169, you are all the evidence that’s needed to show that I have indeed become a DL icon. Are you so clueless that you can’t see that?

I have not and will not disappear. I promise you.

Now do you need help with your ladylike shit that won’t flush? You sound like a nasty person, but I do tend to gravitate to the bird with the broken wing. So tell Greg what’s the matter. What can we do to help you?

by Anonymousreply 171January 9, 2023 9:31 PM

Good one, R170.

You should be so lucky to have my food. But something tells me you couldn’t afford it. ☹️

by Anonymousreply 172January 9, 2023 9:32 PM

Dearest Greg,

I hereby pronounce you Queen of all The Wackadoodles with the customary dollop of crème fraiche on your puny head.

by Anonymousreply 173January 9, 2023 9:58 PM

Thank you, R173! You know how much I love crème fraîche!

by Anonymousreply 174January 9, 2023 10:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!