Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Trouble with Angels

Listen! The most scathingly brilliant film about rich teen girls and nuns in on TCM at 12:45 am eastern tomorrow!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200April 2, 2023 2:44 PM

[quote] brilliant film

Michelangelo Antonioni doesn't agree.

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2022 11:24 PM

You'll need $10 for leotards!

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2022 5:40 AM

It's hard to believe June Harding (RIP) was 28 in this.

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2022 9:41 AM

I first saw this on television when I was about 10yo, and genuinely had a crush on Haley Mills, I watched everything she was in, even though I was fully aware that other cute boys floated my boat and pitched my tent... ;-)

by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2022 9:59 AM

^^This was in the mid 1970s

by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2022 10:00 AM

This was shown as part of TCM's "Directors' Last Films." It was Ida Lupino's last feature film as a director.

I wonder if Roz and Gypsy discussed Mrs. Hovick while filming.

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2022 4:35 PM

sniff

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2022 4:51 PM

The book on which the film is based, “Life with Mother Superior”, is a treasure, especially if the reader attended Catholic school. There are several laugh-out-loud moments, and many touching ones as well. The chapter on Sister Ligouri’s sudden passing is wrenching, ending with what happened to the dog she’d adopted.

(I know, Mary!)

Hayley Mills and June Harding are charming in the film. No matter how many times I see it, I still chuckle at their hijinks (I snuck into the nun’s quarters of my Catholic high school, too!) and get choked up at the end.

And the opening credits are a DELIGHT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2022 12:50 AM

Roz is deliciously dry in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2022 2:04 AM

Dry was Roz's stock in trade.

by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2022 2:13 AM

Because we all know where angels go, trouble follows!

by Anonymousreply 11December 7, 2022 2:17 AM

Jim Hutton using an alias in the credits is just bizarre. The scene in the retirement home always makes me weepy. And I love the ending.

by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2022 2:26 AM

This would be on my Sight & Sound top ten for their Top 100 list.

by Anonymousreply 13December 7, 2022 2:28 AM

This was the first movie I ever saw in the theater - a drive in.

I was three years old - Roz terrified me.

by Anonymousreply 14December 7, 2022 2:29 AM

Marge Redmond is wonderfully warm.

by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2022 2:31 AM

The Angels get groovy in the sequel. Barbara Hunter played Marvel Ann in both films. She's the blonde who can't get the guy's attention in the clip. The film is essentially a road movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2022 2:39 AM

Marvel Ann = weirdest name ever, then and now.

by Anonymousreply 17December 7, 2022 2:42 AM

A queer reading of TTWA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 7, 2022 2:49 AM

"The Trouble with Angels" is a brilliant, timeless (scathing!) comedy. I don't know anyone my age who hasn't laughed and gotten a lump in their throat when seeing it.

Fun fact- The Rosalind Russell role was offered to Greta Garbo (huh?) before Russell was signed. I think it was a superb role for Roz Russell's skills, she's fantastic in it.

by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2022 2:55 AM

LOVE THIS MOVIE - And, where Angels Go Trouble Follows.

Thanks for the heads up!

by Anonymousreply 20December 7, 2022 3:00 AM

HEEL-TOE, HEEL-TOE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 7, 2022 3:04 AM

It was said that Garbo felt humiliated by the experience of the unmade film La Duchesse de Langeais and would never again try to make a movie.

by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2022 3:05 AM

This was such a great movie. Too bad Hayley Mills would not be in the sequel. Semmes she and Rosalind Russel didn't get along. So they made a sequel where the troublemaker was Sister George, A 'hip" nun who is played Stella Stevens. I guest casting thought that would be SO clever; a blonde sexpot who'd posed nude in PLayboy as a nun! But it was just a chaap stunt. The movie was s0-so, not nearly as good as the original.

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2022 3:13 AM

Sister John Eudes Courtney, whom Mary Clancy was based on, died in 2018 at 95.

Jane Trahey, the author of [italic]Life with Mother Superior,[/italic] was a lesbian and a noted advertising executive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2022 3:14 AM

[quote]The opening credits are a DELIGHT!

The sequel isn't as good, but the theme song is very catchy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2022 3:25 AM

[Quote]Fun fact- The Rosalind Russell role was offered to Greta Garbo (huh?) before Russell was signed.

are you getting your GGs mixed-up? I thought it was Greer Garson not Garbo.

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2022 3:27 AM

Does Hayley Mills talk about this in her autobiography? Curious about why she didn't get along with Russell

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2022 3:31 AM

I think Roz pushed/exaggerated the narrative that Hayley was mean to her in her autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2022 4:00 AM

Love this movie, but why didn’t any parents attend the girls’ graduation?

by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2022 4:02 AM

It's a wonderful film that holds up because it is well-written, well-acted, and well-directed. It is also aided by a superb score by Jerry Goldsmith.

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2022 4:09 AM

I found it really abrupt when Mary Clancy joined the convent. It seemed very out of character.

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2022 4:28 AM

Go back and watch the film again, R31. The reason we are initially surprised is because we have mostly viewed Mary through Rachel's eyes. As the film progresses we see Mary Clancy watching Reverend Mother's actions with greater understanding and appreciation. At the same time we see her becoming more and more introspective. The dressmaking scene is very telling, as is the Christmas sequence.

by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2022 4:35 AM

R27 it gets a brief mention, nothing major. She compliments June as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2022 6:33 AM

Liking this movie as a kid in 1966 and quoting some of the girls' lines was yet another reason I felt (and was told) that I "wasn't like the other boys." One of the other reasons was liking "Pollyanna" and quoting from it in the early '60s. Like R4, I seemed to have had a thing about Haley Mills while clearly being physically attracted to male actors in films as early as 1963.

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2022 6:34 AM

Roz writes in her book that Hayley was a demon who couldn't stand her. she used to stick out her tongue whenever Roz passed but felt the girl was bright and talented.

by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2022 7:41 AM

Those of you who choose to stay behind, can spend the day in Chapel, meditating on the SIN of SELFISHNESS!

by Anonymousreply 36December 7, 2022 10:39 AM

I always cry during the scene at the retirement home, when Mary Superior is comforting an old woman whose children failed to come visit her at Christmas even though they promised to, while Mary looks on with sadness and pain at her loneliness, as she becomes aware of her own mortality.

It's such a beautiful scene.

by Anonymousreply 37December 7, 2022 10:56 AM

Hayley said in an interview that she ran into Roz years later and everything was fine. Hayley was tired of ingenue roles and wanted to play more adult roles so she may have felt frustrated during filming. TAKE OFF HER BINDER always cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 38December 7, 2022 5:00 PM

I love the scene at the department store where all the girls are clamoring for fancy bras and Mother Superior tells the cashier to give them the frumpy Barbara Bush model.

by Anonymousreply 39December 7, 2022 5:02 PM

[quote]Hayley said in an interview that she ran into Roz years later and everything was fine. Hayley was tired of ingenue roles and wanted to play more adult roles so she may have felt frustrated during filming.

Someone posted a theory in an older thread that Roz's husband may have ginned up the tension between them in her posthumous book to make it more sensational and boost sales.

by Anonymousreply 40December 7, 2022 5:04 PM

WEHT Susan St. James? She was everywhere during the 70s-80s and then just disappeared. I found her to be one of the most likable actresses of that era.

by Anonymousreply 41December 7, 2022 5:23 PM

If memory serves, Hayley wrote nice things about everyone connected with the film (Rosalind Russell, June Harding, Ida Lupino) in her book. She also wrote about being thrilled to meet Gypsy Rose Lee.

June Harding also played Elizabeth Ashley’s sister on Broadway in “Take Her, She’s Mine” a few years before “The Trouble with Angels”.

Another aspect of Catholic schools that “Life with Mother Superior” got hilariously right — how cold they were! Our schools were always freezing in winter, and the nuns’ responses to our complaints were inevitability, “Put on a sweater!”

by Anonymousreply 42December 7, 2022 5:26 PM

The wiki on Jane Trahey claims that she ran off at some point to fuck a nun from her past.

Presumably Sister John.

by Anonymousreply 43December 7, 2022 7:45 PM

At my parochial school in NJ, r42, it was either too hot or too cold in winter. The nuns told us to just "offer it up" and that it was nothing compared to what our Savior wenrt through.

by Anonymousreply 44December 7, 2022 7:46 PM

I love this movie. I remember they usually aired it on TV around Christmas. I wonder why they never did a reamake?

by Anonymousreply 45December 7, 2022 7:54 PM

[quote]WEHT Susan St. James?

It's Susan SAINT James. Never abbreviated.

I think she has been mostly retired since she lost her son in a plane crash. She did do a "Stars In the House" with the Kate & Allie crew during the COVID

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 7, 2022 8:23 PM

June Harding, Phyllis Thaxter, Art Carney and DL icon Elizabeth Ashley in “Take Her, She’s Mine” by Al Hirschfeld.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 7, 2022 8:38 PM

Found this gem on Instagram.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 7, 2022 9:58 PM

That's fabulous, r48.

by Anonymousreply 49December 7, 2022 10:17 PM

Didn't know that Phyllis did Broadway, r47.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 7, 2022 10:19 PM

The thought of Greta Garbo appearing in this comedy is silly.

The only time she laughed was at someone else's misfortune.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 7, 2022 10:25 PM

She was chortling when she hit me in the head with a fondue pot, r51.

by Anonymousreply 52December 7, 2022 10:28 PM

R51- You need to see more Garbo films. She was funny and could have handled the role. She just didn't want to do it.

by Anonymousreply 53December 7, 2022 10:36 PM

"Excuse me while I have a word with Miss De Lys and Miss . . . Novak."

by Anonymousreply 54December 7, 2022 10:40 PM

I'm also fond of Rosie, a late-career Roz film loosely based on King Lear (!) Sandra Dee, Audrey Meadows, Juanita Moore, Margaret Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 55December 7, 2022 10:41 PM

What is the exchange when Mother catches the girls smoking in the bathroom? Rachel is talking about coming out of her cocoon and Mother says, "Well it's time now!"

by Anonymousreply 56December 7, 2022 10:44 PM

[quote]You need to see more Garbo films. She was funny

Name 3 funny Garbo films.

by Anonymousreply 57December 7, 2022 10:49 PM

[quote]Marvel Ann = weirdest name ever, then and now.

It's old-fashioned, but it does exist outside the movie. I Googled "Marvel Ann" and got results for obituaries in the Midwest and Upper Midwest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 7, 2022 10:50 PM

She is funny in Camille, Ninotchka and Two-Faced Woman despite the latter being awful.

by Anonymousreply 59December 7, 2022 10:52 PM

I was cringing all the way through 'Two-Faced Woman'.

She looked so awkward and embarrassed slumming for her employer.

by Anonymousreply 60December 7, 2022 10:52 PM

[quote] She is funny in Camille…

? ? ?

by Anonymousreply 61December 7, 2022 10:53 PM

Exactly, r60. She was out of her lane and she knew it. She was never going to be a Swedish Lombard. At least Dietrich could be a Teutonic one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 7, 2022 10:58 PM

^Shit, didn't realize it was dubbed. Well, if you can find an English version, The Lady is Willing is fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 7, 2022 11:01 PM

During the late '40s and early '50s, my mom went to an Episcopal girls' boarding school run by Anglican nuns. The sisters wore full habits with the funny Flying Nun cornets.

Her best story from her school days was about a stuck-up bitch named Diana. She was very in love with herself and called herself "Diana the Goddess." All of the other girls hated her and conspired to get her in trouble during a school dance with boys from the neighboring military academy. Mom and her BFF Dot took turns shining a spotlight on her while she sucked face with a cadet on the dance floor.

by Anonymousreply 64December 7, 2022 11:03 PM

ROZ Live!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 7, 2022 11:12 PM

Was Ida Lupino Catholic?

She seemed rather working class to me.

by Anonymousreply 66December 7, 2022 11:14 PM

She was from show people, r66:

[quote]Lupino was born at 33 Ardbeg Road in Herne Hill, London, to actress Connie O'Shea (also known as Connie Emerald) and music hall comedian Stanley Lupino, a member of the theatrical Lupino family, which included Lupino Lane, a song-and-dance man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 7, 2022 11:21 PM

Lupino Lane introduced the Lambeth Walk...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 7, 2022 11:25 PM

[Quote]The thought of Greta Garbo appearing in this comedy is silly.

Yes, it is and with her accent. It was Greer Garson who turned the role down. She played a nun in another 1966 release The Singing Nun and was in Disney's The Happiest Millionaire the following year. Garson resembles Rosalind Russell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 7, 2022 11:37 PM

I worked assistant props on the 1980s first seqeul to the Parent Trap and had to age an address book Hayley was to flip though in a particular scene. From a distance, "scathingly brilliant" written in different pens and pencils looks amazingly like names and addresses. I filled the pages with that phrase. Mills mentioned her amusement once the scene wrapped.

by Anonymousreply 70December 7, 2022 11:49 PM

Greer replaced Roz on Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 7, 2022 11:56 PM

Greer looked lovely, r69!

by Anonymousreply 72December 8, 2022 12:00 AM

[quote]Haley Mills

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 73December 8, 2022 12:03 AM

You wanna know what the trouble with angels is?

They're WHORES.

by Anonymousreply 74December 8, 2022 12:06 AM

Nasty...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 8, 2022 12:16 AM

Lupino was ,much married but also Catholic. She directed a ton of tv series, but usually only one episode of each, which was odd. Her husband, Howard Duff, was a drunk and I think she was one, too.

Roz Russell is good as the Mother Superior--not hammy as she could be in some roles (as in Picnic). Mary Wickes steals every scene and Marge Redmond, being warm and centered also can take the light away from Roz. I wonder if Russell had trouble being a co-star with a Disney kid star like Mills.

by Anonymousreply 76December 8, 2022 12:23 AM

[quote]I wonder if Russell had trouble being a co-star with a Disney kid star like Mills

Probably at some level, r76. But Roz seemed pretty pragmatic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 8, 2022 12:32 AM

Under an alias Russell penned the screenplay for her last feature film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 8, 2022 12:37 AM

She never had to go the Hagsploitation route.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 8, 2022 12:40 AM

probably the most bizarre film Roz ever appeared in

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 8, 2022 12:42 AM

Garbo Meets The Wolf Man was hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 81December 8, 2022 1:23 AM

Love this movie so, so much. <3

by Anonymousreply 82December 8, 2022 1:55 AM

[quote] At least Dietrich could be a Teutonic one.

But I was a Teutonic twat!

by Anonymousreply 83December 8, 2022 1:59 AM

Where can I find that one, r81?

by Anonymousreply 84December 8, 2022 2:10 AM

I still think this is the best rendition of "Angels We Have Head on High" that I've ever heard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 8, 2022 4:49 AM

I hated the old ladyish floral dress Mary wore at the end of the film. But I loved Rachel’s lavender suit.

by Anonymousreply 86December 8, 2022 9:28 AM

I'm not going to stuff His Holiness in the window!

Well I'm not giving you Burt Lancaster!

by Anonymousreply 87December 8, 2022 6:33 PM

Helen Reddy Airport 75

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 8, 2022 8:50 PM

and...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89December 8, 2022 9:01 PM

Didn’t Mary have to give up her more “worldly” clothes when she entered the convent?

by Anonymousreply 90December 8, 2022 9:28 PM

Somehow Sister Clarissa ended up moving to San Francisco and changing her name to Sister Mary Lazarus.

Wasn't casting a big dyke like Mary Wickes as the PE teacher a bit too "on the nose?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 8, 2022 9:40 PM

I liked everything about this scene (starting around @ 1:00)...

[quote]“Mary has a will of iron. To bend but not to break … to yield but not capitulate … to have pride but also humility. This has always been my struggle, Sister. Can I be less tolerant of Mary than the Church has been of me?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 9, 2022 5:26 AM

Nuns were so camp and haggy

by Anonymousreply 93December 9, 2022 5:54 AM

R18 Really interesting reading of the film.

Even watching it as a child, it seemed fairly clear to me it wasn't God or Catholicism that ultimately drew Mary to joining the order, but instead it was the female camaraderie and sisterhood she came to admire and respect--that sense of community rooted in generosity, kindness and love.

For a film centered around nuns at a Catholic school, it's never heavy-handed or dogmatic in its discussions of "God," but rather focuses on the spiritual fulfillment the nuns (and Mary) find in leading a life of worship. It's not about pleasing God or getting into heaven. It's about leading a life of purpose and connection to each other.

I think that's why, as a non-religious person, who abhors religion as an organized institution, I enjoy this film so much.

by Anonymousreply 94December 9, 2022 6:21 AM

Found the Roz It's Time Now scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 9, 2022 9:21 AM

Mother Superior helping Rachel win the dress contest, and having to forcibly rip the ten dollar out of her hand, that was great comic timing.

by Anonymousreply 96December 9, 2022 10:02 AM

R96 What made it even funnier was Rachel starting to give her the sewing thread set as well, assuming Mother Superior would also rip that away.

The dress itself was gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97December 9, 2022 10:24 AM

The Trouble With Angel Dust

by Anonymousreply 98December 9, 2022 8:50 PM

What takes me out of a lot of movies featuring nuns is the fact that they're wearing lipstick and makeup. Maybe that's changed, but nuns in that era (AFAIK) weren't allowed to wear makeup.

by Anonymousreply 99December 9, 2022 9:35 PM

Agreed, R96 and R97, Rachel’s dress contest win scene was a delight!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100December 10, 2022 3:38 AM

Seeing the girls dressed like frumpy old school teachers when they're out of uniform is exactly how girls, especially Catholic school girls, dressed in the 60s. Everyone put alot of effort in their appearance back then. They wanted to look sophisticated and it was sweet. Then the 70s came and it all went to shit.

by Anonymousreply 101December 10, 2022 1:06 PM

The 70’s came and it was truly Healter Skelter

by Anonymousreply 102December 10, 2022 1:18 PM

[quote]Everyone put alot of effort in their appearance back then.

Someone's knuckles are going to be rapped with a ruler for thinking that "alot" is a word.

by Anonymousreply 103December 10, 2022 2:46 PM

Wait a sec, girls put a lot of effort into looking like frumpy school teachers back then? Why?

by Anonymousreply 104December 10, 2022 2:56 PM

R94, I vacillate on that question. I think that the Catholic church had more of a pull for Mary than we thought. Wasn't her family background a little chaotic? I think her father was the one who was single and had various girlfriends, or maybe it was that there was a stepmother. What I see is Mary understanding more and more the nuns' relationship to their faith and growing to accept what she realized was her vocation. The way a vocation is usually explained is as a call that might not be what you think you want but come to accept as your destiny and what will bring you fulfillment. I don't espouse those beliefs, but I don't think we can discount that Mary had a vocation underneath her hoydenish ways.

by Anonymousreply 105December 10, 2022 3:07 PM

I thought Mary's parents had died and she was living with her uncle?

by Anonymousreply 106December 10, 2022 3:11 PM

Oh, that's right, it was her playboy uncle in the picture.

by Anonymousreply 107December 10, 2022 3:17 PM

You have to smile at the lame aliases the other two girls gave themselves in the opening scene. "Pearl Ring" and "Sandy Beach" are no match for "Fleur de Lis" and "Kim Novak."

by Anonymousreply 108December 10, 2022 4:12 PM

I probably saw this film as a Saturday afternoon TV movie. Back then, I could relate to the rebelliousness. This discussion has made me see it more through the lens of Mary's spiritual journey. I'm also an admirer of Ida Lupino, and for that, I'm grateful to R48 for the link to the BTS clip of her directing. Time to rewatch and savor this gem.

by Anonymousreply 109December 10, 2022 5:36 PM

[quote]You have to smile at the lame aliases the other two girls gave themselves in the opening scene. "Pearl Ring" and "Sandy Beach" are no match for "Fleur de Lis" and "Kim Novak."

Well, at least they didn't use one of the original choices: Hedda A. Borshun.

by Anonymousreply 110December 10, 2022 6:39 PM

There's some role reversal between the Mary and Rachel characters compared to the book that the film was based on. The Rachel (Jane) character wrote the book, and was the leader and instigator of most of the pranks. Mary was quieter and the follower. Her anxiety-provoked sweaty hands are mentioned several times in the book, so she was not as brave and outgoing as in the film.

Knowing that, it's more plausible that it was the quieter character who eventually decided she had a calling for the church, while her more dominant female friend got angry about it, convinced that Mary had been "roped" by the nuns into joining as a novitiate. That is a detail also mentioned several times in the book - how wary the schoolgirls were of the nuns trying to rope them into becoming nuns themselves. Anyone raised Catholic in that era knows the amount of pressure put on kids by priests and nuns, and often also their own parents, to become a priest or join a religious order.

Of course, for a film the star has to be the dominant character, including having the most interesting thing happen to her, not to her sidekick, so that's how it played out on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 111December 10, 2022 10:36 PM

"Daddy, folk singers aren't communists, only the ones with beards!"

by Anonymousreply 112December 11, 2022 1:33 AM

I agree with R111. Catholic families did like to have at least one member become a priest or nun. My great-grandma dropped out of the convent and was mad when my dad didn't follow through at the monastery. She was a hypocrite, though, and took it out on my mom.

by Anonymousreply 113December 11, 2022 1:58 AM

I was in Catholic school in that era and it was impressed upon us that only girls with “vocations” could become nuns. Even then I wondered how they could tell.

by Anonymousreply 114December 11, 2022 11:41 AM

By knowing her and counseling her about it.

by Anonymousreply 115December 11, 2022 2:25 PM

Sending a kid off to the convent or seminary served a lot of functions---fewer mouths to feed, education for a promising student in the absence of money, and (esp. for boys) a "get out of purgatory" card

by Anonymousreply 116December 11, 2022 2:33 PM

I can understand Mary Clancy going from being a hellion to a novice. My own cousin Carol Ann was nothing but trouble -- smoking, wild parties, boys, etc. Then she went to Alaska -- from NJ! -- to a small native settlement to teach. It was a program run by the Catholic church. It wasn't a novitiate, but a volunteer gig. She's been there ever since, marrying an Alaskan native, having four kids, and settling down. Carol Ann just retired a few years ago as a school superintendent for a region in the state.

by Anonymousreply 117December 11, 2022 2:43 PM

[quote]Even then I wondered how they could tell.

The stigmata, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 118December 11, 2022 5:24 PM

Agreed with R111, in the book, the Rachel character (Jane) was pulling pranks right up to graduation day, when she swiped some pages of a fellow student's (who she and Mary didn’t like) Valedictory speech, leaving her with a jumbled unrelated speech at the ceremony!

by Anonymousreply 119December 14, 2022 12:05 PM

R119 in the film, it would have to be the ever solicitous Valerie.

by Anonymousreply 120December 14, 2022 1:36 PM

Bought on Amazon steaming, I'm still laughing.

by Anonymousreply 121December 19, 2022 1:00 AM

^^^ When Datalounge obsesses over a film, it's usually worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 122December 19, 2022 1:36 AM

Remember the "Bubbles" scene Sister Prudence gets me everytime LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123December 19, 2022 2:31 AM

I find this one a little dry, whereas the sequel is a bouncier and I enjoyed the many road trip episodes.

Also, I like the sequel’s bittersweet ending where the nuns habits are modernized; little did we or they know it was the end of convent life as we knew it.

by Anonymousreply 124December 19, 2022 3:05 AM

The sequel was pointless without Mary.

by Anonymousreply 125December 19, 2022 4:17 AM

But it had me…!

by Anonymousreply 126December 19, 2022 5:22 AM

Girls Town did it first — and better!

Mamie Van Doren plays a character actually named “Silver!”

Elinor Donahue!

Mel Torme AND Paul Anka!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127December 19, 2022 5:38 AM

[quote] Bought on Amazon steaming

I really don’t recommend steaming Amazon — it ruins the circuitry in the tv.

by Anonymousreply 128December 19, 2022 5:43 AM

The 'mini habits' at the end of the sequel were a nice touch. The nuns in my school had just switched over to the new habits and the sisters loved them.

by Anonymousreply 129December 19, 2022 2:08 PM

[quote]The sequel was pointless without Mary.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 130December 19, 2022 4:12 PM

R125 I always wondered if Sister George in the sequel was supposed to be Mary. She was the rebellious, progressive nun. I love Stella Stevens in the role (I loved Hayley Mills too.)

by Anonymousreply 131December 19, 2022 6:18 PM

I'm sure the role of Sister George was written to be Haley Mills/Mary Clancy. When Mills said no, they did some minor rewrites and carried on.

by Anonymousreply 132December 19, 2022 6:21 PM

I would have loved to see *that* movie, R132. I always thought the sequel was a pale imitation and somewhat incoherent. It would have been much better as a true sequel with Mary Clancy as a novice.

by Anonymousreply 133December 19, 2022 6:40 PM

Well the sequel had the Boyce/Hart title song AND closeups of Mary Wickes' high top sneakers when she's driving the bus - and gets stuck on the railroad tracks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134December 19, 2022 7:06 PM

The song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135December 19, 2022 7:06 PM

I love the part where Rachel 'blesses' herself when about to eat her lunch by putting one hand on each shoulder when doing the 'in the name of the Father, the Son...' as if to save time and Russell just stares.

I also love Mary Wickes is in the movie. Nice to see her familiar supporting actor's face. She was always good.

by Anonymousreply 136December 19, 2022 7:13 PM

[quote] [R125] I always wondered if Sister George in the sequel was supposed to be Mary.

“The Killing Of Sister George” was a SEQUEL to THIS?! My LORD.

by Anonymousreply 137December 19, 2022 7:16 PM

The girl that plays Rachael, for the longest time I thought she was the girl in Rosemary's Baby, 'Victoria Vetri' she reminds me of her so much but it is not the same girl.

by Anonymousreply 138December 19, 2022 7:18 PM

Understandable confusion, R138. Rosemary Woodhouse made the same mistake. It wasn’t Victoria Vetri, it was a drug addict from the streets who was being given a second chance.

by Anonymousreply 139December 19, 2022 7:21 PM

R135 Those opening credits took me right back to my prepubescent boy hood, I had no idea what the movie was going to be about but I fell in love with it at first sight.

by Anonymousreply 140December 19, 2022 10:43 PM

Sister George couldn’t have been written for Mary. Mary and Marvel Ann were around the same age. Sister George was an adult, Marvel Ann was still in high school. Was she held back for several years?

Furthermore, Marvel Ann was a pissy character in The Trouble With Angels. Her personality change didn’t make sense either.

by Anonymousreply 141December 20, 2022 12:50 AM

Having Marvel Ann in the sequel made zero sense and the actress who played her was meh compared to Susan St James. The sequel took place a few years after the original so Mary would have been a full fledged nun by then. Sister George was a little too extreme in her lack of respect for Mother Superior. The dynamic would have worked better with Sister Mary.

by Anonymousreply 142December 20, 2022 1:06 AM

The only thing I remember about the sequel was when the bus stalled on the railroad tracks and the nuns were attempting to get the screaming, hysterical girls off the bus, and the nun at the wheel kept attempting to get the bus to start. I remember nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 143December 20, 2022 2:57 AM

Sister Debbie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144December 20, 2022 3:44 AM

r68, I can't hear that song without thinking of how much Emma Thompson came to loathe it during her run as the female lead in the hugely successful revival of "Me and My Girl" in the West End in the 1980s.

When I read an interview where she said that, i thought she was a monstrous ingrate: she got the role when she was pretty much just out of Cambrudge, and it's what launched her to fame on the British stage. but once you hear the song, you can see why she hated it: although it's unbelievably catchy, it's the same melody repeated ad infinitum with key change after key change. I think it would drive anyone crazy if they had to perform it night after night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145December 20, 2022 4:08 AM

*Cambridge, not Cambrudge

by Anonymousreply 146December 20, 2022 4:25 AM

[quote]are you getting your GGs mixed up - I thought it was Greer Garson not Garbo.

R26 Wikipedia says Garbo was the first choice of producer William Frye. Maybe you're thinking of Greer Garson playing the mother superior in The Singing Nun (starring Debbie Reynolds) - also made in 1966.

by Anonymousreply 147December 20, 2022 4:37 AM

[quote]Garson resembles Rosalind Russell.

R69 In what universe?

by Anonymousreply 148December 20, 2022 4:43 AM

Rosalind Russell was a much bigger star than Greer Garson in the mid-60s - Garson was no longer a box office draw by then - so I can't picture her turning down the lead in this film for a supporting role in The Singing Nun - nor can I see Roz taking Garson's leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 149December 20, 2022 4:46 AM

I always get this confused with Where Angels Fear to Tread

by Anonymousreply 150December 20, 2022 6:18 AM

We could have a fun thread with mangling titles with The Trouble With.....

by Anonymousreply 151December 20, 2022 1:40 PM

The Trouble with Angels

becomes

The Trouble with Harry

becomes

The Trouble with Harry Potter

by Anonymousreply 152December 20, 2022 5:05 PM

^^^^ becomes

The Trouble With Tribbles

by Anonymousreply 153December 21, 2022 1:04 AM

The Trouble with Angels in the Outfield.

by Anonymousreply 154December 21, 2022 1:15 AM

The Trouble with Angels with Dirty Faces

by Anonymousreply 155December 21, 2022 4:07 AM

The Trouble With Angels In Chains

by Anonymousreply 156December 21, 2022 8:22 AM

The Trouble with Angels in America, Parts I & II

by Anonymousreply 157December 21, 2022 1:40 PM

The Trouble with The Exterminating Angel

by Anonymousreply 158December 21, 2022 3:03 PM

The Trouble with Angel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159December 21, 2022 3:49 PM

I just got a copy of the play Life with Mother Superior out of the library and I’m looking forward to reading it. It doesn’t seem as though the original book is available in my library system; maybe I should make a special request.

by Anonymousreply 160December 22, 2022 4:36 AM

The Trouble with Angelique

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 23, 2022 3:27 PM

[quote]Having Marvel Ann in the sequel made zero sense and the actress who played her was meh compared to Susan St James.

Marvel Ann was most definitely retarded.

by Anonymousreply 162December 23, 2022 3:28 PM

Actually, moving Marvel Ann from a minor character to a lead was rather a stroke of genius. She provided some student continuity from the first film, and her jealousy of Susan St. James was an excellent plot point for the new storyline.

by Anonymousreply 163December 23, 2022 4:22 PM

No, it made no sense. Mary and Marvel Ann were in the same grade and the movie began with Mary’s first of four years at St. Francis. So why was Marvel Ann still there after Mary graduated?

by Anonymousreply 164December 23, 2022 11:30 PM

No, R164, Marvel Ann was a younger cousin -not in the same grade. Go back and watch the movie again.

by Anonymousreply 165December 23, 2022 11:31 PM

R165 You are correct and it’s in Jane Trahey’s book as well that Marvel Ann was Mary Clancy’s younger cousin.

by Anonymousreply 166December 24, 2022 12:09 AM

My stepmother got pregnant when she was at a girls' Catholic school the year when this came out, so she always made fun of it. "They're supposed to be BAD?" she's say, 'Those girls were goody two-shoes compared to me and my friends!"

by Anonymousreply 167December 24, 2022 12:20 AM

Didn't Mary and Rachel spend three years at St Francis and not four. Rachel transferred from New Trends and Uncle George couldn't handle Mary so he sent her to the nuns. I always assumed she got kicked out of wherever she spent her freshman year.

by Anonymousreply 168December 24, 2022 3:24 AM

Marvel Ann was clearly a "special needs" student and probably got held back several times.

by Anonymousreply 169December 24, 2022 3:36 AM

Is New Trends a stand-in for New Trier or for one of the more “progressive “ privates schools like Frances Parker?

by Anonymousreply 170December 24, 2022 3:43 AM

Marvel Ann is coming back. Marvel Ann will star Jennifer Aniston as an aged Marvel Ann who will receive special powers from the spirit of Mother Superior (Dame Judi Dench). She will fight Mephisto, and will be aided by Captain Marvel, Nick Fury and Ant-Man. The nuns from Sister Act make a special appearance. Cameo by Pope Francis. Directed by the Russo Brothers. Rated R for tasteful nudity and shameless violence.

by Anonymousreply 171December 24, 2022 6:56 AM

r18

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172December 24, 2022 9:03 AM

r171

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173December 24, 2022 9:05 AM

Watching an Angels double feature on MOVIES! channel. The title song for WAGTF is too too groovy!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 174March 5, 2023 8:30 PM

One of the older women in my volunteer conservation group was the other day regaling me with stories about her experiences of convent school. As just one of a dozen creative punishments, Nuns would stand her on a chair and backhand her until she fell off.

by Anonymousreply 175March 5, 2023 9:02 PM

R145 Robert Lindsay is brilliant in a musical. It's a pity he didn't do more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176March 5, 2023 9:06 PM

The brunette girl in OP’s pic looks like Jack Wild in a wig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177March 6, 2023 12:20 PM

[quote]she used to stick out her tongue whenever Roz passed

Perhaps she just wanted to eat her cooch?

by Anonymousreply 178March 6, 2023 12:31 PM

Jack Wild looks like Mackenzie Phillips (circa age 12) in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 179March 6, 2023 1:22 PM

Stella Stevens had some really good moments in this. Oddly enough, it may be one of her best performances.

by Anonymousreply 180March 6, 2023 1:27 PM

Stella Stevens was an odd choice for the role because she had a gorgeous figure and usually played sexy girlfriends or villains. In WAGTF she got to play the opposite of that and she was wonderful. Her confrontations with Roz were excellent.

by Anonymousreply 181March 6, 2023 2:41 PM

R181 I love it when casting against type comes off. It's always so satisfying to see.

by Anonymousreply 182March 6, 2023 3:17 PM

Those last moments between Stella (Sister George) and Rosalind (Mother Superior) really resonated. They both had tears in their eyes and so did I.

by Anonymousreply 183March 7, 2023 1:57 AM

I thought the casting of Stella Stevens as a gorgeous, rebellious nun was pretty lame. It was stunt casting: "What an idea! Casting a Playboy Playmate as a nun!" Hayley Mills would have been a much better foil for the Mother Superior, but Mills had no desire to reprise the role. Seems she and Roz Russell didn't get along.

by Anonymousreply 184March 7, 2023 2:41 AM

Stevens was awful. Even 'modern' nuns were not like that.

by Anonymousreply 185March 7, 2023 2:53 AM

The sequel is so different from the original but it's so much fun especially if you were lucky enough to live in that era. The groovy mini dresses, the short hair on Susan St James, the music, the dance at the boys academy and, finally, the mini habits (as they were called) in the final scene. Every time I watch it I remember happier times in an unsettled but not out of control world.

by Anonymousreply 186March 7, 2023 3:01 AM

This always reminds me of the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. I don't know why.

by Anonymousreply 187March 7, 2023 3:12 AM

Ohhhh yes, Angels are a lot of trouble, believe me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188March 7, 2023 11:56 AM

R188 Dems v. Repubs.

by Anonymousreply 189March 7, 2023 5:04 PM

I'm watching a double bill of ANGELS on the Movies! Network. I don't even mind the commercials.

by Anonymousreply 190March 29, 2023 3:40 AM

Me, too. I recorded them both and intend to watch them momentarily

by Anonymousreply 191March 29, 2023 1:04 PM

With Stella, all the other nuns became Sister Peg

by Anonymousreply 192March 29, 2023 1:43 PM

From a fan of the film...

[quote]the original subtitle of the movie was “a habit forming comedy”

[quote]Also, as a perfect example of type casting, three of the actresses who play nuns in this movie, repeat their performances in later films. Marge Redmond goes on to play Sister Jacqueline in the TV show The Flying Nun, Mary Wickes stars in Sister Act and its sequel and Portia Nelson had the year before portrayed a nun in The Sound of Music. On the other hand, one of the nuns is played by Camilla Sparv, who three years later stars as Robert Redford’s glamorous love interest in Downhill Racer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193March 29, 2023 3:07 PM

Camilla Sparv in a caftan...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194March 30, 2023 10:27 AM

R194. She's a flawless beauty!

by Anonymousreply 195March 30, 2023 11:54 AM

Mary's chat with Sister Constance was one of the (many) highlights of the film.

by Anonymousreply 196March 30, 2023 7:59 PM

Kind of a fun, 60's-retro montage of snippets from her films...

[quote]Camilla Sparv (born in 1943 in Stockholm) is a retired Swedish actress. She was briefly circa 1965, the second wife of the actor and businessman who would eventually reign as Paramount Pictures's production chief - the legendary Robert Evans. She was brought to Hollywood by Columbia Pictures in 1965. Sparv was third-billed as Sister Constance in "The Trouble With Angels" (1966), then specialized in sexy-foreigner roles. But she uttered the best line in the 1967 "Matt Helm" espionager "Murderer's Row" (with Dean Martin and Ann-Margret); cast as the mistress of villain Karl Malden, Sparv comforted her lover after his latest doomsday device has failed by murmuring "Cheer up. Maybe you can run someone over on the way home." She was awarded a Golden Globe as Most promising newcomer (female) in 1967 for her role in "Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round" (1966, with James Coburn). She also appeared in "Assignment K" (1968, with Stephen Boyd), "The High Commissioner" (1968, with Rod Taylor, Christopher Plummer, Lilli Palmer, Daliah Lavi), "Mackenna's Gold" (1969, with Gregory Peck, Omar Sharif, Telly Savalas), "Downhill Racer" (1969, with Robert Redford and Gene Hackman), "The Greek Tycoon" (1978, with Anthony Quinn, Jacqueline Bisset, Raf Vallone), among others. Enjoy Camilla Sparv's glamour!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197April 1, 2023 5:02 AM

Boy, can I relate. I hated Geometry too!

by Anonymousreply 198April 1, 2023 5:57 AM

"Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round" with Sparv and James Coburn, had one of the best "twist" endings.

by Anonymousreply 199April 1, 2023 2:27 PM

Agreed, R199, “Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round” had a great twist ending, right out of O. Henry!

Camilla Sparv was a stunner, and Nina Wayne was lovely in the film, too!

by Anonymousreply 200April 2, 2023 2:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!