Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tonite on TCM: Sirk du Soleil w/ "Imitation of Life"

"Imitation of Life" airs on TCM tonight, 12/5 @ 8 p.m./ET. The 1959 version is remembered as Lana Turner's biggest comeback, but now receives praise or director Douglas Sirk's subtle take on racial tensions, commercial success, sexism, and more from the "fabulous '50s." Juanita Moore is the heart of this movie and Susan Kohner provides the dramatic tension. This film & "A Summer Place" also cemented Sandra Dee's stardom. Here's my look at this "Life."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117April 20, 2023 10:47 PM

Classic Datalounge thread:

[bold]What Was Lora Meredith's Greatest Triumph as an Actress?[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2022 4:42 PM

Why, give the lines to Amy!

She’s a STAH!

by Anonymousreply 2January 28, 2023 12:58 PM

I am the one who visits the Imitation threads to remind other ancient Dataloungers that John M. Stahl's 1934 film has almost as many wonders as Sirk's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 28, 2023 1:03 PM

Steve! Amerigo Felluci! The Italian movie director.

Yes.

Oh, he wants me for the part of Rena in No More Laughter. His agent is in New York now to talk to me about it.

I see. That means you'd have to go to Italy.

Mmm. Of course. Oh.

Well, I'll have to give a two-week notice to the play.

Yes.

Well, don't be so calm. They want me for Rena!

Well, who is she?

Only the best part since Scarlett O'Hara.

Fuck Steve. Fuck my daughter. To hell with my dreary maid and her ungrateful brat slut daughter. It's Amerigo Felluci! The Italian movie director!

by Anonymousreply 4January 28, 2023 1:09 PM

Well! Get you. So, honey child, you had a mammy.

by Anonymousreply 5January 28, 2023 1:11 PM

Expect Meghan Markle to recreate the funeral scene when it comes to her father's passing.

by Anonymousreply 6January 28, 2023 1:29 PM

Subtle?

by Anonymousreply 7January 28, 2023 1:31 PM

Good call, R7!

by Anonymousreply 8January 28, 2023 1:39 PM

The beating the Sarah Jane character receives is shocking. I hope it resonated with its audience in the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 9January 28, 2023 1:57 PM

Starring megan markle as Sarah Jane.

by Anonymousreply 10January 28, 2023 2:25 PM

Funny how both Claudette and Lana were so short necked.

by Anonymousreply 11January 28, 2023 2:57 PM

Didn't Noel Coward once tell Claudette Colbert he'd wring her neck if she had one?

by Anonymousreply 12January 28, 2023 8:53 PM

At least I could act.

by Anonymousreply 13January 28, 2023 9:38 PM

The only thing Noel Coward would wring was every drop of cum out of a rentboy's cock.

by Anonymousreply 14January 28, 2023 9:40 PM

You were a Broadway star, Claudette. The closest Lana got was doing Bell, Book and Candle in stock in the '70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15January 28, 2023 9:48 PM

Ah don' fixed y'all a mess o' crawdaddies, Miz Lora, fo' you an' yo' friends!

by Anonymousreply 16January 28, 2023 11:14 PM

I don't despise Sirk's movies, but I don't like them. Way overrated.

by Anonymousreply 17January 30, 2023 1:59 AM

I adore the bizarre nightclub dance number where the girls are pulled around the stage on train cars or boats or something while they kick their legs in the air and raise Champagne glasses.

Juanita Moore reacts to it like her daughter came out nude and started shooting ping-pong balls out of her pussy.

by Anonymousreply 18January 30, 2023 2:19 AM

The very last scene of this movie destroyed everything that went before.

They made Sara Jane SIT WITH THE DRIVER.

by Anonymousreply 19January 30, 2023 2:20 AM

Wasn't this movie in color?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 30, 2023 2:42 AM

Douglas Sirk was a genius.

by Anonymousreply 21January 30, 2023 2:44 AM

"Sarah Jane Johnson, you put your clothes on!"

by Anonymousreply 22January 30, 2023 2:46 AM

"I used to take care of her when she was little"

by Anonymousreply 23January 30, 2023 2:48 AM

They were reclining chairs, r18. And she was wearing fishnets. Only whores wear fishnets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 30, 2023 2:55 AM

That pancake thing, r3...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 30, 2023 3:05 AM

I'm bummed that TCM has severely limited their showings of, "Who Gives A Flying Fuck." It's rarely ever shown anymore and when it does air, it's certainly quite the event.

by Anonymousreply 26January 30, 2023 3:12 AM

[quote]r26 …now receives praise for director Douglas Sirk's subtle take on racial tensions

The first time I’ve seen “subtle” applied to a Ross Hunter melodrama.

by Anonymousreply 27January 30, 2023 4:36 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 30, 2023 4:45 AM

Could this be remade today?

by Anonymousreply 29January 30, 2023 2:30 PM

Why would it be, r29?

by Anonymousreply 30January 30, 2023 3:08 PM

Why not r30? I’m sure a good screenwriter would be able to adapt the story and make it more contemporary.

by Anonymousreply 31January 30, 2023 3:10 PM

I don't think a good screenwriter would be interested in a Sirk retread. It's been done.

by Anonymousreply 32January 30, 2023 3:14 PM

That’s your opinion r32.

by Anonymousreply 33January 30, 2023 3:15 PM

Yes, r33, yes it is.

by Anonymousreply 34January 30, 2023 3:19 PM

Movies about passing are still made. There was one 2 or 3 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 35January 30, 2023 4:24 PM

I remember one calling “Passing”, based on a novel written by a black woman author in the twenties…

by Anonymousreply 36January 30, 2023 4:28 PM

And it could be remade and should go back to the depression years. Louise Beavers had more agency in her version of the story.

A remake could explore even more about the 4 women and less about the one character becoming a star. The 1936 movie is pretty good - Delilah makes MONEY - a lot - but the portrayal of the two black women could be more nuanced.

by Anonymousreply 37January 30, 2023 4:30 PM

Or a less tragic ending for Annie.

by Anonymousreply 38January 30, 2023 4:32 PM

Amazing movie, despite the strong satirical element, it's quite emotionally affecting. The ending makes me cry like a baby - Mahalia Jackson! Sirk was a master.

by Anonymousreply 39January 30, 2023 4:34 PM

[quote]Or a less tragic ending for Annie.

So, r38, you want to make a classic tear jerker less tear jerking.

by Anonymousreply 40January 30, 2023 4:47 PM

Annie was simply a background character in the movie. She was never developed, and ever shown having enough of a relationship with her daughter for me to care about it. I didn't care when Annie died, or about Sarah Jane's reaction to it. I thought the funeral was absolutely ridiculous and seemed really out of character for someone portrayed as modestly as Annie had been to want. Sarah Jane was a more interesting character but she was still made to know her place at the end of the movie, as r19 pointed out.

by Anonymousreply 41January 30, 2023 4:50 PM

[quote]Annie was simply a background character in the movie.

Bless your heart, r41.

by Anonymousreply 42January 30, 2023 4:54 PM

But the 1959 film has the classic line when Lana sitting in her fabulous Jean Louis gown, wave her fur trimmed sleeves and utters to the delight of gay boys everywhere “Why Annie. It never occurred to me that you had friends!”

by Anonymousreply 43January 30, 2023 4:54 PM

I saw Kohner speak once after a showing during which at some points idiots laughed. The kind that should be taken out to the lobby and shot.

She said nobody laughed when the movie opened but today we are all so much more sophisticated.

Kohner also said that the scene where Troy screams at her and beats her had to be reshot because the original was much more violent. The Las Vegas revue she appears in was an actual Las Vegas show. It was not designed for the film.

Dee is excellent she really shows her acting chops. And in the second half of the film the story of Annie and her daughter takes over so I don't know why anybody would prefer the first half of the film when it's preparing you for the emotional rollercoaster of the second.

by Anonymousreply 44January 30, 2023 5:02 PM

Juanita Moore has an interview on youtube. She speaks of Lana in the highest terms. Lana despite her gowns and jewels ultimately gives the movie to her. Or lets her steal it whatever you prefer.

This is another Oscar loss that needs an Academy investigation. But then Kohner(who is quite wonderful) was nominated in the same category so they might have canceled each other out.

Another great Sirk film that is pretty subversive concerning American life in the 50s is There's Always Tomorrow with Stanwyck and MacMurray again surprising you with his dramatic power. The final image is chilling. And the genius of Sirk is that he could have it both ways. Give a sop to the audience who wanted a happy ending and make it a tragedy at the same time. And it's not in the screenplay. It's in the direction and filming.

by Anonymousreply 45January 30, 2023 5:19 PM

R44, since DLers are laughing at it, should we all be shot? There are definitely scenes that are worthy of laughs. It's a Ross Hunter melodrama, for crying out loud

by Anonymousreply 46January 30, 2023 5:24 PM

Almost every scene with Lana should be laughed at

by Anonymousreply 47January 30, 2023 5:26 PM

There isn't anything in Imitation that's that funny that calls for guffaws in a theater. Stay home and laugh at it if you must. These people were just idiots. Also people were laughing through Liebelei at FF which is one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. I don't get it at all.

by Anonymousreply 48January 30, 2023 5:34 PM

Richard Pryor and some of his Army buddies beat up a white guy who laughed at one of the scenes in IOL. And this was when the film came out in 1959.

by Anonymousreply 49January 30, 2023 5:41 PM

I’m sorry, not beaten, but Pryor STABBED this dude. From a New Yorker article:

[quote] Pryor was expelled from school at the age of fifteen. (He had taken a swing at the science teacher.) As soon as he could, he enlisted in the Army and was sent to a base in Germany, but he got kicked out of there, too. At a screening of Douglas Sirk’s movie “Imitation of Life,” about an African-American girl who, to her grief, passed for white, a white soldier in the audience laughed. On his way out of the show, Pryor stabbed the offender with a switchblade. He got a month in the brig.

by Anonymousreply 50January 30, 2023 5:44 PM

*Nobody* disrespects Miss Lana Turner.

by Anonymousreply 51January 30, 2023 5:47 PM

R3 Almost all of Stahl's scenes have two actors in profile facing each other. The entire film! It drives me crazy!

by Anonymousreply 52January 30, 2023 5:51 PM

[quote]This is another Oscar loss that needs an Academy investigation. But then Kohner (who is quite wonderful) was nominated in the same category so they might have canceled each other out.

I think Juanita Moore is fine but it's easy to see why Shelley Winters won. First of all, she was excellent, and second, she was usually a sexy blonde in films, and was playing an actual woman who was later exterminated in the Holocaust, who was 20 years older than her. Nobody expected this performance from her. And it was a topical film, WWII was only 15 -20 years earlier. Juanita Moore was great as Annie but it was a women's picture, not an up to date drama about race relations. Annie died of a broken heart because her daughter rejected her in order to pass for white - based on an old weepie novel and movie from the 30s. I'm sure she got a lot of votes, though.

by Anonymousreply 53January 30, 2023 6:03 PM

Augusta Van Pels was in her mid forties when she went into hiding; Shelley was 37 when she portrayed her on film. Not that big of a difference.

by Anonymousreply 54January 30, 2023 6:11 PM

As much as I laugh and roll my eyes and enjoy the sheer “over the top” Lana - ness of this movie - almost every single time the funeral comes at the end I end up strangled with “the ugly cry.” ….. I hate watched Love Story for the first time a few years ago and I got caught off guard - I sobbed at the end.

by Anonymousreply 55January 30, 2023 6:22 PM

R54 Okay, 10 (or fewer) years. The role was considered a stretch, and she played one of the most memorable characters in the film.

The thing I didn't like about the 1959 Imitation Of Life vs the earlier version was that Annie was Lora's friend but also a psuedo-servant, not her business partner (who came up with the best-selling pancake batter) as in 1934. The movie takes place from the late 40s to the late 50s. It just seems very old fashioned. Granted there were many restrictions in society, then - but if Lora was a famous actress surely she could have had acquaintances in the business who were black - who she would have met socially, etc. Harry Belafonte, Lena Horne, whoever. Annie and Sarah Jane could have come to her parties and mingled as friends. The whole thing is weird, not existing in the real world of the time.

by Anonymousreply 56January 30, 2023 6:27 PM

(continued) ...And if Sarah Jane wanted to go into show business, did she really need to pass for white, in the late 50s?? There were many black performers, and while they put up with racism, they also didn't have to do things like try to pass.

by Anonymousreply 57January 30, 2023 6:30 PM

You make good points r56, but then most white moviegoers still had a surfeit of anti black prejudices and could not imagine anyone having black friends. It would have made many of them uncomfortable, especially if they were Southerners.

by Anonymousreply 58January 30, 2023 6:30 PM

[quote] They made Sara Jane SIT WITH THE DRIVER.

What? Sara Jane sits with the family at the end!

by Anonymousreply 59January 30, 2023 6:48 PM

Paul Verhoeven was clearly influenced by this movie.

Head of the Cheetah: "You're a stripper, don't you get it!?"

Nomi: "I'm a dancer!"

Head of The Cheetah: "If you're a dancer, then I'm the fucking Virgin Mary!!!"

by Anonymousreply 60January 30, 2023 7:37 PM

Speaking of Sirk, did anyone else not like Far From Heaven?

by Anonymousreply 61January 30, 2023 7:41 PM

I like Far From Heaven. It reached its goal successfully in all departments.

by Anonymousreply 62January 30, 2023 7:42 PM

Julianne Moore was pregnant while filming FFH and her costumes looked soooo awkward.

by Anonymousreply 63January 31, 2023 12:36 PM

[quote]Almost every scene with Lana should be laughed at

Douglas Sirk directed Lana to be oblivious and self-centered without her catching on.

by Anonymousreply 64January 31, 2023 12:41 PM

R58 Just a reminder, not all moviegoers were/are white. Also, just for the record, Hollywood films were/are shown all over the world. Perhaps they were made with a white audience in mind, but anyway, this takes place in New York starting in 1947, and not the segregated world of the earlier novel or film. Sarah Jane could have gone to a city or state college, for ex. NYC (Harlem) even had a black congressman, Adam Clayton Powell, since about 1947. I just think a lot of the concepts of the earlier book were carried over and it was all basically Ross Hunter make-believe rather than a study of the complex ways things were at the time, almost 1960.

by Anonymousreply 65January 31, 2023 12:47 PM

Beatrix McCleary Hamburg, black, graduated from Vassar in 1944. Officially applied and admitted as black. There had been a black graduate decades before, who was passing.

by Anonymousreply 66January 31, 2023 12:55 PM

But most of them ARE r65, and therefore that’s who Hollywood panders to before anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 67January 31, 2023 1:27 PM

For my money, I'll take Delilah and Peola any day. (who was played by an actual black woman.)

by Anonymousreply 68January 31, 2023 1:37 PM

Sirk is camp, John Waters with more money. He had no idea how real humans behave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69January 31, 2023 2:15 PM

R69 You're entitled to you opinion. Sirk was a great director, though. I could take or leave some of his films, but All That Heaven Allows, All I Desire, Written On The Wind, There's Always Tomorrow, and The Tarnished Angels are fantastic films. Magnificent Obsession is a little far-fetched, for me, but done brilliantly, Thunder On The Hill and Has Anybody Seen My Gal? were other good Sirk movies.

by Anonymousreply 70January 31, 2023 3:45 PM

By the way if you want to see just how good Sirk was, watch some of the pseudo-Sirk films Universal and/or Ross Hunter tried to do during and after he retired (Imitation Of Life was his last). Things like This Earth Is Mine, Back Street.

by Anonymousreply 71January 31, 2023 3:50 PM

Indeed R71... Sirk brought the edge to the Ross Hunter soaps. Otherwise, aside from those you mentioned, Portrait in Black and Madame X. Soap without hte Sirk social commentary underneath...

by Anonymousreply 72January 31, 2023 4:23 PM

ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS is one of his most beautiful and subdued films. Whenever I see Jane Wyman’s profile, it makes me think about the comment that someone made about Aussie actor Luke Pegler’s nose being retrousse’. Jane has the same nose.

I just watched another one of her fifties Technicolor films called LUCY GALLANT, opposite Charlton Heston. Once again, her lack of sex appeal makes it unbelievable that Heston the Hunk would obsess over her for an entire decade.

by Anonymousreply 73January 31, 2023 5:01 PM

Frocks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 31, 2023 5:13 PM

I LOVE Lucy Gallant! Jane gets jilted and ends up stranded in Texas with an enormous trouseau, which she sells almost immediately and decides to set up business there. All that and Thelma Ritter too!

by Anonymousreply 75January 31, 2023 6:07 PM

Her lax sex appeal and an indifferent screenplay and direction hobbled the film for me, r75. But I loved the fashion show. I chuckled at how far the camera was from Edith Head.

Reminds me of that line from TOOTSIE “I’d like to make her look more attractive; how far can you pull back the camera?”.

“How about Cleveland?”.

by Anonymousreply 76January 31, 2023 7:30 PM

Is lax latin for 'lack of'?

by Anonymousreply 77February 1, 2023 9:24 PM

I guess you meant weak. I would say non-existent.

by Anonymousreply 78February 1, 2023 9:29 PM

Jane was a pretty "plain Jane". Gives you nice contrast to a Dietrich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79February 1, 2023 9:36 PM

Wyman was struggling to become a star for years, when she was in her 20's she was a sexy little cutie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 1, 2023 10:20 PM

It could be remade today, but only if presented as a tragedy of racism, Annie and her daughter are made the main characters, and it's set before the Civil Rights movement got big in the 1960s. Especially if they use the original plotline, where the white woman makes a fortune off of the black woman's pancake recipe, and the black woman agrees to let the white woman keep all the money, doesn't even ask for her due, just settles for a maid's job for life. Which is incredibly hard to believe in this money-oriented day and age, but as systematic oppression can destroy the self-esteem and self-confidence of individuals, not completely implausible.

So yes, someone could make a story about a white woman taking financial advantage of a black woman, and the black woman accepting it without complaint, and the black woman's light-skinned daughter deciding to pass. Not that I'd be interested in seeing that movie, I'm only interested in the 1950s version for the camp value, but a new version could fit today's zeitgeist.

by Anonymousreply 81February 1, 2023 11:03 PM

R48 if you don't laugh at "I'm going UP, UP, UP!!!" then I feel sorry for you because you obviously don't have a sense of humor

by Anonymousreply 82February 1, 2023 11:08 PM

Yes but why make Delilah such a wimp in a remake of the 30s story. She can have friends who wise her up. And Peola can be a handful but more charming, not quite such a desperate victim but nevertheless having lots of issues with passing.

by Anonymousreply 83February 1, 2023 11:16 PM

R83, the original story was written in the 1933 by a white woman, and during that time it was considered admirable for women and POC to be modest, self-effacing, financially naive, and trusting, It was considered okay, or even admirable for a woman to turn down money and to trust others to take care of her, a least by many, although I doubt author Edna Ferber conducted her own business affairs that way!

I haven't read the movie, and haven't seen the 1930s movies in ages, so I honestly don't know if the original story's perspective is that it's virtuous for a woman to trust others to take care of her financially, or if the reader is expected to decry the foolishness of someone letting others capitalize on their work without a struggle. I think Ferber was basically progressive, at least by the standards of her time, and a lot of her stories decry the old-fashioned attitudes towards women and POC that she'd had to live with.

by Anonymousreply 84February 2, 2023 12:10 AM

I would love to see the Sirk remake of "There's Always Tomorrow" but it doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 85February 2, 2023 12:13 AM

"a story about a white woman taking financial advantage of a black woman..."

I'm available after "Revenge Of The Woman King".

by Anonymousreply 86February 2, 2023 12:16 AM

R84 I think it’s Fannie Hurst, isn’t it? Not Edna Ferber.

by Anonymousreply 87February 2, 2023 12:45 AM

Somewhere someplace there must have been a drag queen called Porcelana Turnher

by Anonymousreply 88February 2, 2023 12:50 AM

[quote]I doubt author Edna Ferber conducted her own business affairs that way!

R84 As someone already said, the author was Fannie Hurst, not Edna Ferber, though they shared certain similarities. Hurst was definitely interested in social justice and racial equality.

I usually think when I read or see something, a character is just one person, and there are all kinds of people. Delilah might seem like a wimp, maybe another black woman of the time, in the same situation, wouldn't be a wimp. People today seem to see characters more as archetypes than mere individuals. Maybe it's the influence of all the comic book movies.

Hurst stated that her novel was written because of a "consciousness" that came from how African-American soldiers had fought for their country in World War I even though they were discriminated against at home.[2]

[quote]Hurst was a Jewish woman and supporter of feminist causes. She also supported African Americans in their struggle for greater equality. She was deeply involved in the Harlem Renaissance, especially with Zora Neale Hurston. Hurst helped sponsor Hurston in her first year at Barnard College and employed Hurston briefly as an executive secretary. The two traveled together on road trips that may have contributed to Hurst's understanding of racial discrimination. Both Hurston and Langston Hughes claimed to like Imitation of Life, though both reversed their opinion after Sterling Allen Brown lambasted both the book and the 1934 film adaptation in a review entitled "Imitation of Life: Once a Pancake", a reference to a line in the first film.

(Wikipedia)

by Anonymousreply 89February 2, 2023 1:13 AM

Didn't Ferber bring up the issues of racial discrimination in Showboat and Giant?

by Anonymousreply 90February 2, 2023 10:52 AM

First time I saw this film was in college with a couple of friends. It produced some of the most uproarious laughing of my life. Maybe we smoked some pot too. I just recall we thought it was hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 91February 2, 2023 12:14 PM

I wonder what IOL would have been like if Doris Day was cast as Lora Meredith…

by Anonymousreply 92February 2, 2023 2:02 PM

Joan Crawford should have been Lora Meredith! She would have smacked the living hell out of Susie and Sarah Jane

by Anonymousreply 93February 2, 2023 2:38 PM

Another key difference between the two versions is how the Colbert and Turner characters handle their daughters’ infatuation with their boyfriends. Beatrice (Colbert) sympathetically breaks it off with her boyfriend while Lora (Turner) couldn’t care less about how Susie (Dee) feels.

by Anonymousreply 94February 2, 2023 4:00 PM

Would YOU give up John Gavin?!?!?! Suck it Susie!

by Anonymousreply 95February 2, 2023 11:43 PM

Both John Gavin and Susan Kohner were half Mexican, incidentally.

by Anonymousreply 96February 3, 2023 1:54 AM

Susan Kohler was the sleeper standout in this film, she did an excellent job with the material and was gorgeous. And to me this film is the quintessential Lana The Star, where she brought all her accumulated previous Hollywood luminosity and MGM acting glamour to full-throttle display. A film that really makes you feel Annie’s motherly heartbreak for her estranging daughter and Sarah Jane’s frustration and anger about who she is versus who she wants to be. Turner’s and Dee’s characters in this remake just make the viewer feel reinforced how lucky those two are with their superficial heartaches and worries, as a backdrop to the realer life hurdles that Annie and Sarah Jane saw and felt around them, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 97February 3, 2023 2:18 AM

Juanita Moore's performance was so breathless and fawning.

Louise Beavers' portrayal was more sly like, "Dis white bitch cray-cray, but I gonna play along".

by Anonymousreply 98February 3, 2023 2:39 AM

Ferber/Wyman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 3, 2023 3:01 AM

Ferber/Stanwyck

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100February 3, 2023 3:11 AM

R97 But nobody's lifelong heartaches and worries are actually superficial. In a movie, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 101February 3, 2023 4:17 AM

I prefer the 1959 version. Maybe I should watch the 1934 version again.

by Anonymousreply 102February 3, 2023 2:52 PM

Fun fact: In the Hitchcock movie "Saboteur," there's a scene in a warehouse that houses boxes of Aunt Delilah's Pancake Flour.

by Anonymousreply 103February 3, 2023 2:59 PM

Sad last days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104February 4, 2023 12:56 AM

'Imitation of Life' (1959) is on TCM again this Thursday, March 30 at 10:00PM Eastern. Terry Burnham, who played 6-year-old Susie (she was actually 9 during production) also came to a sad end: When she died at age 64, no one claimed her body, the contents of her storage locker were auctioned off and her ashes were about to be buried in a common grave when some fans collected enough money to eventually have her buried next to her mother in Long Beach, CA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 28, 2023 11:49 PM

"Oh, Mother...stop ACTING!!"

by Anonymousreply 106March 29, 2023 12:00 AM

Terry Burnham was in a TWILIGHT ZONE episode, "Nightmare as a Child" opposite Janice Rule, playing a spooky little kid.

by Anonymousreply 107March 29, 2023 12:04 AM

It never occured to me that you had any friends?

You've never asked.

Yeah like Annie life it pretty much being your slave. Miss Lora 'Cunthair" Meridith.

by Anonymousreply 108March 29, 2023 12:32 AM

R106, I love that scene between Lana and Sandra and Sandra's right... she never had an honest relationship with her mother.

Lora was always about "Lora".

What did the future hold for the character's after Annie's funeral?

by Anonymousreply 109March 29, 2023 12:58 AM

Once they arrived home from the funeral, Sarah Jane disappeared into her mother's room, pulled an apron from the closet and slipped it on over her black outfit, and returned to the others in the living room, where she announced, "My days of trying to pass are done. I've learned my lesson and I know my place. So I will honor my mother's memory by becoming your new subservient housekeeper, if I may."

Lora, Steve, and Susie exchanged glances with each other. Then Lora smiled graciously and nodded her head. "You may, Sarah Jane."

"Ooooh, Sarah Jane!" Susie squealed. "You're just the coolest."

by Anonymousreply 110March 29, 2023 5:19 PM

Weird how in 1934 Claudette treated 'Delilah' like more of an equal and business partner, but by 1959 the character was a sort of fawning lady-in-waiting. Progress?

by Anonymousreply 111March 29, 2023 8:02 PM

that's pretty good R110. Anyone else want to give us an epilogue post-funeral or a full-blown sequel?

by Anonymousreply 112March 29, 2023 8:06 PM

Paging the [italic]Now, Voyager[/italic] Fake Dialogue Troll

by Anonymousreply 113March 29, 2023 8:09 PM

People who dismiss Douglas Sirk films don't understand his art of irony. You must search for it. His characters lived "ideal" lives, with wealth and social status, and beauty. Contrast this with their inner suffering, longing, regrets, and utter discontent.

Douglas Sirk was a genius.

It's tragic that he retired in 1959, after "Imitation of Life." He could've directed many other classic films in the 60s, 70s and even the early 80s. The art of irony is timeless.

by Anonymousreply 114April 19, 2023 4:12 PM

Yeah, I guess, but he didn't write the screenplay. Fannie Hurst, Eleanore Griffin and Allan Scott get the credit. Hurst is also credited for the original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115April 19, 2023 9:47 PM

SUZY!!!.... SUZY!!!...

by Anonymousreply 116April 19, 2023 10:13 PM

I just don't find Sirk movies compelling. Maybe they're ironic, maybe they're campy, maybe they're artistry of genius, but that doesn't make them worth more than a single viewing, for me. Frankly, I'd rather watch Valley of the Dolls or Mommie Dearest for the 1000th time, than those dreary Sirk things from the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 117April 20, 2023 10:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!