Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brendan Fraser says his 2003 groping incident was 'causing me emotional distress'

Brendan Fraser is poised for a career comeback — and potentially an Oscar — with his return to the big screen in Darren Aronofsky's The Whale. In a new interview with CBS Sunday Morning, the actor opens up about what made him step back from Hollywood in the first place.

Speaking to CBS's Lee Cowan, Fraser reflects on his leading man status throughout the '90s and 2000s thanks to roles in films like Encino Man, School Ties, George of the Jungle and, most notably, the blockbuster Mummy franchise.

"I think, that guy's really lucky," the 54-year-old says now of his younger self, adding with a laugh, "I think he's got awesome hair."

Fraser was a Hollywood heartthrob at the time, but says now that he felt like he didn't quite measure up.

"I felt at that time that it wasn't enough," he says. "I wasn't big enough, I wasn't cut enough, or any of those adjectives. And the person that I saw, and was trying to create, wasn't an ideal in my mind. And how do you contend with that?"

Fraser says he "needed the music to stop" — which meant stepping back from Hollywood.

"We can put actors on pedestals and then knock them off so quickly and so easily," he says. "It's almost like that's the game. So I just got rid of the pedestal. I just wanted to be myself."

But it wasn't just self-doubt that prompted Fraser's hiatus. In 2018, the divorced dad of three went public about a 2003 groping incident involving Philip Berk, the former Hollywood Foreign Press Association president. Though Berk has maintained that he merely pinched the actor's bottom as a joke, Fraser has described the touching as more invasive. (“His left hand reaches around, grabs my ass cheek, and one of his fingers touches me in the taint. And he starts moving it around,” he told GQ in 2018.)

"It was causing me emotional distress," he says of the incident. "It was causing me personal distress."

He tells Cowan that up until that point, he had "played by the rules" with regard to Hollywood's power dynamics. What happened with Berk was a wake-up call — and a line in the sand.

"I felt like OK, now, suddenly, I've been violated and it has gone too far," he says. "And I will no longer abide this."

Fraser credits the #MeToo movement with giving him the courage to share his story.

"I spoke up because I saw so many of my friends and colleagues who at that time were bravely emerging to speak their truth power," Fraser tells Cowan. "And I had something to say, too."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 6, 2022 12:06 AM

There goes his Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2022 11:29 PM

What a cry baby.

Just sit back and enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2022 11:29 PM

I wonder what was happening here?

Brad would have knocked him out.

That said, Berk is an ugly old troll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2022 11:31 PM

My taint was fingered by gross old men a number of times when I was a hot young thing. For me it was just another night out in the bars and clubs, I didn't really get mental over it.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2022 11:32 PM

A couple of different guys stuck their hands down my pants in clubs/bars when I was young, and it did freak me out and shake me up. It didn't feel funny or normal at all.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2022 11:34 PM

I loved Brendan Fraser and saw a lot of his movies back in the day, and I realized from his appearances on talk shows and his interviews that he was a little "different." Something not just vulnerable but also odd. But that's OK. I can see how this incident was disturbing to him, but to this extent? When I first heard this story years ago, I thought he should have gotten some kind of treatment (maybe he did), because that reaction is not normal. To keep telling this story seems insensitive to the countless women and some men who've been assaulted and exploited in much worse ways in their Hollywood careers.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2022 11:34 PM

[quote] My taint was fingered by gross old men a number of times when I was a hot young thing. For me it was just another night out in the bars and clubs, I didn't really get mental over it.

Because you're a whore, darling. Fraser isn't even gay so that touching was very unwelcome and apparently traumatizing.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2022 11:35 PM

Is this a major difference between men and women? Women respect their bodies but men don't care who touches them or why.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2022 11:35 PM

R7 Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2022 11:37 PM

Everyone is different. Some guys would have just shrugged it off, and for others it could be life-altering trauma.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2022 11:38 PM

Berk by name, Berk by nature.

No one wants their perineum explored by some fugster who looks straight out of Middle Earth.

Advantage Fraser.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2022 11:38 PM

[quote] Is this a major difference between men and women? Women respect their bodies but men don't care who touches them or why.

This has happened to me before.

I got felt up lots of times in clubs.

It doesn't really bother me.

Then again, I'm not uptight.

And it's really not that big of a deal.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2022 11:39 PM

"Taint Misbehavin: A Memoir, by Brendan Fraser"

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2022 11:40 PM

[quote]Because you're a whore, darling. Fraser isn't even gay so that touching was very unwelcome and apparently traumatizing.

I had several women feel me up too. I had the same reaction when ugly old men did it - I was annoyed but it didn't really bother me that much. I knew I was hot and people wanted to touch me. BFD.

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2022 11:42 PM

Get your filthy paws, off my silky drawers!

Would you pull that crap with Annette???

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2022 11:42 PM

[quote]"I spoke up because I saw so many of my friends and colleagues who at that time were bravely emerging to speak their truth power,"

Shouldn't it be "to speak their truth TO power"?

I wonder who got it wrong--Brendan or the reporter?

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2022 11:42 PM

It's interesting that he was cast in Gods and Monsters as a reluctant muse of a creepy old gay man who eventually snapped from being so freaked out. Closely mirrors his Hollywood woes.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2022 11:44 PM

Brendan really seems to be milking this story.

More than what would be considered "normal."

Jut shut the fuck up about it, already!

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2022 11:44 PM

So sad when the hot ones get old and dumpy.

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2022 11:47 PM

As an NYC resident since I was a teenager in 1981 I have been grabbed, groped, swatted and squeezed in the ass in bars and clubs more times than I could even count. Mostly I just slapped their hand away, or said "Hey!" loudly. I cannot say I even thought of these incidents ever again after about the first five seconds...or less.

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2022 11:59 PM

Good lord he needs to get over it

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2022 12:00 AM

He touched my no-no, like I was some kinda cheap whore!

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2022 1:39 AM

R22 You know you liked it, whore.

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2022 1:48 AM

Yes when your boundaries are violated and you’re made to feel not just powerless or humiliated but also you’re threatened or mocked for asserting your boundaries I think that could be very traumatizing.

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2022 1:51 AM

Getting groped in nightlife situations isn't the same as in your professional life. Context means a lot. I was groped in my clubbing years. I wouldn't want some big cheese in my profession copping a feel. I don't think it would disturb me for very long but it's disgusting to happen. Getting raped or attempted raped is another story.

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2022 2:01 AM

Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape!

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2022 2:05 AM

Agree r25, we ain't talking about you sluts getting grabbed by the bussy in the club and enjoying it

by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2022 2:32 AM

It's perfectly possible to believe firmly that he shouldn't have been groped, and the creep was wrong for doing that to hi;, and also to believe simultaneously that Fraser's ridiculous for treating that as some sort of epochal traumatic event.

Being groped is not the same as being raped.

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2022 2:46 AM

And he was groped at a luncheon....how much groping could there be? I agree with R28 that this is ridiculous. I was molested (shut up, Lorna)

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2022 2:58 AM

He seems like a headcase.

by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2022 2:59 AM

He started losing his hair and putting on pudge, and the interest in him waned.

by Anonymousreply 31December 5, 2022 3:49 AM

He's going to get an Oscar for wearing a fat suit and telling his me too story over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2022 3:57 AM

Brendan, get back to me when you have to suck Harvey Weinstein's tiny little cock for over an hour, with his nether regions reeking of ass.

Now THAT will give you emotional distress.

by Anonymousreply 33December 5, 2022 4:11 AM

R33 but you signed up for it Georgina! It's not like anyone would have bought those hideous dresses otherwise

by Anonymousreply 34December 5, 2022 4:12 AM

Some people fail to realize that this isn't about the incident itself, but the feeling of powerlessness not being able to stand up for himself because of the perceived power imbalance.

It's the same with gay employees having to laugh at their boss' homophobic jokes, women having to endure catcalls from their bosses, etc. the fear of negative consequences keep you silent while hating yourself for being such a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 35December 5, 2022 4:20 AM

It was nearly 20 years ago.

He needs to move on.

Actually, I think he's just bringing it up for publicity in his Oscar campaign.

by Anonymousreply 36December 5, 2022 4:22 AM

R33: On the bright side it will get you a three picture deal.

by Anonymousreply 37December 5, 2022 4:24 AM

It was locker room stuff, slap and tickle.

by Anonymousreply 38December 5, 2022 4:30 AM

R35 exactly, and who knows if there is another incident in his life that he is not ready or wanting to talk about? What if people he trusted in his life betrayed him during the time following the incident? There are so many things that can be attached to something like this that make it traumatic, you can't just look at a grope in a vacuum. The discourse here is barely above juvenile straight guys saying they don't get why women complain about being stalked and hit on, it would be awesome if chicks did that to me dude!

by Anonymousreply 39December 5, 2022 4:37 AM

He wasn’t groped at a club, folks. Completely inappropriate and hopefully he’s helping others by sharing his experience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 5, 2022 4:59 AM

I don't doubt that Fraser feels victimized by his experiences in Hollywood.

I can't negate his feelings or his memory of what happened.

But I find that trauma is often more complex than the way the victim may describe the trauma, especially in a public forum like an interview.

by Anonymousreply 41December 5, 2022 5:20 AM

[quote]He wasn’t groped at a club, folks. Completely inappropriate and hopefully he’s helping others by sharing his experience.

And if I'd been groped in a professional setting I still wouldn't have been traumatized by it. You have no idea what hot people go through, you just shrug it off. When you're young and hot you get felt up by lots of gross men (and sometimes women), it's just a part of being hot and fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 42December 5, 2022 6:39 PM

I am a Datalounger who looks twenty years younger than my actual age. This horrendous act could happen to me some day. Dear god, please no!

by Anonymousreply 43December 5, 2022 6:49 PM

[quote] And if I'd been groped in a professional setting I still wouldn't have been traumatized by it.

Oh, IF that would happen to you. Are you one of those guys who tell rape victims, "suck it up, buttercup! Because that's what I would do if I got raped!"?

by Anonymousreply 44December 5, 2022 6:49 PM

No r44 I can't speak for anyone else but you can unclutch your pearls. I really would just shrug something like that off. It's just a grope, not rape.

by Anonymousreply 45December 5, 2022 6:52 PM

Look at attention whore r42 /r45, so tough! Ooooh, aaaah! Thank you for honoring us with your presence at Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 46December 5, 2022 6:57 PM

Get fucked r46. So sorry nobody's ever wanted to feel you up.

by Anonymousreply 47December 5, 2022 6:59 PM

He’s a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 48December 5, 2022 7:43 PM

He became obese because he has obvious mental problems.

by Anonymousreply 49December 5, 2022 7:44 PM

I feel violated and abused when people give me dirty looks. It’s a violation of the energy at the core of my humanity.

by Anonymousreply 50December 5, 2022 8:56 PM

R6 Brendan Fraser might actually be autistic.

by Anonymousreply 51December 5, 2022 8:58 PM

R42, bitch please.

If your taint was tickled by your co-worker who looked like Mo’Nique, you’d be off screaming to Karen In HR.

by Anonymousreply 52December 5, 2022 9:15 PM

R52 I'd slap the fat right off that whiny bitch!

by Anonymousreply 53December 5, 2022 9:50 PM

R51, that never occurred to me! You may be right.

by Anonymousreply 54December 5, 2022 10:36 PM

r52 I've had fat bitches grab my ass before. It's just part of life.

by Anonymousreply 55December 5, 2022 11:51 PM

It's going to be a LONG Oscar season.

by Anonymousreply 56December 6, 2022 12:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!