Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Endoscopy - what can I expect

I'm scared

by Anonymousreply 25July 10, 2024 2:28 PM

It's not that bad - I've had several.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2022 5:21 PM

Listen honey, you've had bigger.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2022 5:21 PM

r1, why

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2022 5:28 PM

OP- I had to get that plus a Colonoscopy at the same time- Yikes 😬

I was more afraid of the Endoscopy but it’s fine . Your sedated.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2022 5:28 PM

You’re sedated not

YOUR

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2022 5:29 PM

It's really no a big deal. You're asleep (twilight sleep) for the whole procedure. You might have a slightly sore throat afterwards. You'll need someone to drive you home. I've had both ends scoped and it's a nothing of a procedure as you're out the entire time.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2022 5:29 PM

You should expect death

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2022 6:32 PM

I’ve had it done twice and like others have said, it’s not bad. I was none the wiser after waking up.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2022 6:32 PM

I just had a follow up one last month after becoming anemic in the spring. The first one showed I had bleeding ulcers due to an unknown soy allergy. Some iron supplements did the trick and now fine. The procedure is nothing. You can only have water before it.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2022 7:07 PM

R7 = Joan Rivers' ghost

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2022 7:30 PM

It's a walk in the park. As someone above said, you might have a sore throat afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2022 8:49 PM

Every time, I start counting backwards, as they tell me, and I'm out until I wake up later outside the operating room. I have always gotten it along with a colonoscopy, though, so I'm usually up crapping until late, and don't sleep much beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2022 9:51 PM

Be more concerned about the findings of the endoscopy!!!

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2022 10:01 PM

Don't worry about your vocal cords being damaged permanently - it rarely happens.

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2022 10:09 PM

I've had the procedure done a couple of times (and the other end several times as well). As others have said here, it's really not a big deal, and the prep is pretty simple. No pain. R13 is right -the results are of far more concern than the procedure itself.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2022 10:17 PM

When DataLounge answers itself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2022 10:44 PM

It's like deep throating a hose.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2022 10:46 PM

I had one to day. Not as bad as I feared. I got meds to calm down, I was basically drugged out of my mind. No gagging or throwing up. It only lasted for a few minutes too. I had anxiety going in to this, but it was over in 5 minutes and I was very well taken care of.

by Anonymousreply 18July 10, 2024 9:33 AM

You have to worry about double penetration if the nurses get too excited.

by Anonymousreply 19July 10, 2024 10:30 AM

One word: PROPOFOL

by Anonymousreply 20July 10, 2024 12:50 PM

What can I expect?

Hopefully, a clean scope.

by Anonymousreply 21July 10, 2024 1:07 PM

One word of advice that I learned leading up to my first endo in 2013. Drink as much Gatorade or some like that as late as you can. I had my first endo a month after my first colonoscopy. Side note, my GI did not read my chart showing I was anemic. He said if he knew that, he would have done the endo when I was already on the table. Why bother having the Nurse record all of that info in pre-op if you are not going to read it???? I wrongly assumed I would be okay with just regular eating before the endo. I failed to realize that the combo of electrolytes in the colonoscopy prep and Gatorade helped fill me up. So drink something like Gatorade as long as possible.

by Anonymousreply 22July 10, 2024 1:24 PM

There is no prep for an endo except refrain from eating food for a few hrs as per the instructions. Absolutely no comparison to a colonoscopy. This is the easy one.

by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2024 1:42 PM

OP, "twilight sedation", which is what they give you, means that you're breathing for yourself but you're completely unaware of the procedure. You tend to wake up in Recovery thinking "Have I gone in yet?" and be out of bed eating and drinking within 10 minutes. The anaesthetic holds very little danger because unlike a general anaesthetic you ARE breathing naturally.

by Anonymousreply 24July 10, 2024 2:26 PM

Ask your Gastro or a reversed endoscopy – they’re easier. Hike your caftan up a little to show him what you mean.

by Anonymousreply 25July 10, 2024 2:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!