Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Man who fell off of a cruise ship survived by treading water for 20 hours, eating bamboo, and fighting off jellyfish

A man who fell off of a cruise ship in the Gulf of Mexico after a few drinks shared his story of survival for the first time, describing how he trod water for almost a full day and fought off sea creatures while fading in and out of consciousness.

In an exclusive interview with ABC's "Good Morning America," passenger James Michael Grimes said he had a couple of drinks on the Carnival Valor on November 23, the night before Thanksgiving. He wasn't drunk, he said, but doesn't remember what happened next.

The next 20 hours of his life ended up being a fight for survival, he added.

Grimes shared with ABC that after telling his sister he was going to the bathroom at 11 p.m. local time that night, he regained consciousness in the ocean.

"I came to, and I was in the water with no boat in sight," Grimes told ABC. The cruise was headed from New Orleans to Cozumel, a Mexican island in the Caribbean, traveling through the Gulf of Mexico. For the next almost 20 hours, Grimes described how he trod water and fought for his life, encountering jellyfish and another unidentified sea creature with a fin.

"It came up on me really quick and I went under, and I could see it. And it wasn't a shark, I don't believe," Grimes said. "But it had more like a flat mouth, and it came up and bumped one of my legs, and I kicked it with the other leg. It scared me, not knowing what it was, all I could see was a fin."

As night struck and Grimes awaited rescue, he said that he had to eat objects floating by to sustain his energy, including a plank of bamboo.

"It gave some type of flavor in my mouth other than saltwater," Grimes told ABC. "I was never accepting that this is it — this is going to be the end of my life."

By 8:25 p.m. on Thanksgiving day, a Coast Guard tanker spotted Grimes and rescued him, according to CNN. Grimes did not respond to Insider's request for comment.

In a statement sent to Insider, Carnival said that the only way of falling overboard "is to purposefully climb up and over the safety barriers."

"We greatly appreciate the efforts of all, most especially the US Coast Guard and the mariner who spotted Mr. Grimes in the water," Matt Lupoli, a spokesperson for the company said. "Cruise ships have safety barriers in all public areas that are regulated by US Coast Guard standards that prevent a guest from falling off. No one should ever climb up on the rails. The only way to go overboard is to purposefully climb up and over the safety barriers."

Shant'a Miller White, a passenger who was onboard the ship with her husband and other family members for a Thanksgiving getaway, told Insider that Carnival partially left passengers in the dark regarding the mysterious overboard passenger.

"It was scary because so many people were having different conversations around the boat," Miller White said. "First the rumor was it was a child…then we found out it was an adult."

"We just heard them calling a name over the intercom," she added.

During Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday night, White said passengers were informed that the boat was rerouting to undergo a search and rescue mission.

"When we found out someone had went overboard, or fell, or jumped, or whatever the case may be, I instantly was very nervous and scared," White said. "And didn't know what was going to happen because we didn't have cell service at the time because we were so far out."

The news of Grimes's rescue was eventually crowdsourced, Miller White said.

"I found out that the Coast Guard had rescued him when I received service on my phone and from my family sending screenshots of the news," Miller White said. "I'm grateful and thankful to God that he is alive, but I will say that I don't plan to ever go on Carnival again because I don't feel they were empathetic to the other 3,000 or so people on that boat for all that was going on."

Carnival did not respond to specific questions about Miller White's experience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 8, 2022 9:11 AM

Sounds like someone roofied him, then pushed him overboard.

They wanted him dead.

Probably his sister.

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2022 4:28 AM

Hinky.

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2022 4:37 AM

Omg, he's hilarious!!

What a doofus.

He totally underplayed how drunk he was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2022 4:38 AM

He was either drugged and thrown overboard, or he's lying about what happened. Probably the latter, unless there's some reason to believe his sister wanted him dead.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2022 4:45 AM

Perhaps this will be his wake up call that he has an alcohol problem. I am so glad he was rescued alive though. The odds were not in his favor.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2022 4:46 AM

I wonder what other flotsam and jetsam "floating by" he devoured in addition to the bamboo. I find that part a little hard to swallow. Maybe he saw the footage of his air-guitar antics and leaped.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2022 4:46 AM

Drunk country boy decides to pee over the railing of a cruise ship and falls overboard. He’s luck he’s not on the hook for the cost of the search and rescue.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2022 4:51 AM

He would have contributed more to society by ending up as fish food.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2022 5:01 AM

We know

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2022 5:04 AM

Drunk dude falls off of ship.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2022 5:10 AM

Happy Thanksgiving!

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2022 5:11 AM

[quote]I wonder what other flotsam and jetsam "floating by" he devoured in addition to the bamboo. I find that part a little hard to swallow.

So did he.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2022 5:24 AM

Where did he get the toast to fight off the jelly fish?

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2022 5:28 AM

" I didn't really get to enjoy this one". This guy is fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2022 5:29 AM

Say what you will but his survival is actually pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2022 5:29 AM

Cruise ships give me the willies.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2022 5:31 AM

He really does sound like a doofus R3!

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2022 5:31 AM

Wow this is incredible. I don't think yall know how hard it is to survive after falling overboard in the middle of the ocean. I just wondered how he stayed afloat falling unconscious. This is incredible. True alpha for life.

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2022 5:38 AM

He was probably so blitzed that he was still buzzed for part of the time he was in the water.

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2022 5:39 AM

“He lost 20lbs from his 20 hours of swimming.”

The Cruise Ship Diet or The Gulf of Mexico Diet?

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2022 5:45 AM

[quote] I just wondered how he stayed afloat falling unconscious

I was wondering this too!

How is it even possible to stay afloat while unconscious???

It's not possible.

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2022 5:47 AM

Was Grandpa Butterfingers dangling him outside a window?

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2022 5:48 AM

He looks like his cum tastes like chainsaw oil. Swoon...

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2022 5:54 AM

How did he not drown from exhaustion? The body gives out

by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2022 5:55 AM

[quote] How did he not drown from exhaustion? The body gives out

He sort of explains it at R3.

I guess he was just determined to live.

Plus he's young. And the alcohol probably kept him from getting hypothermia.

by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2022 5:59 AM

R19,That might explain his adversity to pain and endurance. It does not explain how one stayed afloat while in and out consciousness. Some of you don't realize how vast the ocean is. This not a really deep pool. It can perhaps be more than 40 ft. Not to mention waves and currents. Either he had makeshift raft or something or he's exgerrating the unconsciousness aspect. 🤔

by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2022 6:02 AM

Then again he isn't an eloquent speaker. I think what he means is delirium. He probably was awake and self aware, but the struggle so strident his memory doesn't retain everything.

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2022 6:04 AM

The part about him quasi apologizing to the coast guard for having no clothes made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2022 6:06 AM

R20 The booze and bamboo diet.

by Anonymousreply 29December 4, 2022 6:20 AM

Did he seriously lose 20 pounds from this ordeal??

I'm guessing it was mostly from dehydration, right?

by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2022 6:25 PM

R30 yes indeed. Chrissy Metz handlers are considering having her do this in a controlled environment.

by Anonymousreply 31December 4, 2022 6:29 PM

So many questions.

How did the coast guard see him? As of there weren’t 5 other miracles to parse. But that is the big one. How on earth did they ever find him, let alone spot him in those huge waves. That must have been a needle in a haystack.

by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2022 6:38 PM

"Some of you don't realize how vast the ocean is. This not a really deep pool. It can perhaps be more than 40 ft. Not to mention waves and currents."

Thank you, Vasco de Gama!

by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2022 6:56 PM

“You look great! Usually when I go on a cruise I can’t stop eating!” “I did eat lot but also did a lot of swimming.”

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2022 6:59 PM

R32 The coast guard ship probably has some kind of device like sonar - whatever they have these days - to spot someone in the water, based on body warmth, or movement, who know? Maybe they did just see him.

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2022 9:13 PM

*Who knows. Sorry - keyboard not working right.

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2022 9:14 PM

So there haven't been any details of how he "fell" off the ship? How was it discovered that he was no longer on the ship? He thinks he just passed out?

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2022 9:16 PM

[quoteSounds like someone roofied him, then pushed him overboard.

Kathie Lee.

"In the morning. In the evening, ain't we got fun..."

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2022 9:17 PM

[quote]"Cruise ships have safety barriers in all public areas that are regulated by US Coast Guard standards that prevent a guest from falling off. No one should ever climb up on the rails. The only way to go overboard is to purposefully climb up and over the safety barriers."

I wonder how long Mr. Lupoli had to rehearse this statement with the cruise line's defense attorneys? And how many attorneys were involved in writing it.

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2022 9:19 PM

He totally fell off that boat while pissing.

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2022 9:24 PM

Dumb but kind of cute.

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2022 10:27 PM

Lots of this sounds extraordinary.

Think about someone trying to stay afloat in a swimming pool for 20 hours. Would Michael Phelps even be able to do that? (Maybe, I really have no idea though it sounds unlikely as there is some level of exertion required.)

Have any of you seen any articles with medical experts weighing in?

by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2022 10:31 PM

Interesting-- I googled and everyone is just repeating the ABC News story without question-- CNN, Daily Beast, Daily Mail, People-- no one asking a medical expert or a survival expert "how extraordinary is this? Does the fact that he was likely drugged or drunk factor in? Is it possible he's making part of this up?"

Nada

by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2022 11:03 PM

I thought those cruise ships had cameras everywhere public, I am waiting for the eventual release of the camera footage and the truth.

by Anonymousreply 44December 4, 2022 11:09 PM

He wasn't swimming so I don't think Michael Phelps has much to do with it. It's more like, having the energy to tread water for that long. Also I can't imagine eating random stuff that floats by after only 20 hours. He wasn't out there for days. I wouldn't eat that shit. Might have been rotten or poisonous, and you might get sick and get cramps or puke, and end up drowning. Dude was one lucky fuck.

by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2022 11:10 PM

"True alpha for life"

R18 Get help

by Anonymousreply 46December 4, 2022 11:12 PM

Still R45 - treading water for 20 hours with no water to drink?

It's not swimming, but it's not nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 4, 2022 11:13 PM

I love how the bulk of this article is dedicated to Shant'a Miller White, a passenger, whose prime focus seems to be on the fact that the cruise ship didn't provide updates or clarification to the passengers -- until said deets were "crowdsourced" later on in the trip. What's left out of this article is that she's seeking compensation for her pain and suffering. People are gross and disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 48December 4, 2022 11:13 PM

R46, you get help. What he did was truly remarkable. Your probably just a panzy who would have drown to death. I love survival stories.

by Anonymousreply 49December 4, 2022 11:13 PM

Wait. Did he fight off Jellyfish or did he eat jellyfish? We may have use for him depending on the answer.

by Anonymousreply 50December 4, 2022 11:14 PM

R49 I hope you'll take an English class in your spare time.

by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2022 11:15 PM

R51 why would I when I am a scholar. Please go away now; it is past your bedtime.

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2022 11:17 PM

R47 I just meant a swimmer in that situation, if he wasn't actually swimming, might fare no better or worse than any other athlete or in-shape person. I might be wrong, though. Maybe a swimmer would do better.

No water - I know, he was probably dehydrated from the alcohol, too.

by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2022 11:22 PM

That guy’s adorable.

by Anonymousreply 54December 5, 2022 12:20 AM

R50 LOL. He should have fought off the bamboo flotsam and devoured the jellyfish. At least he would have remembered something!

by Anonymousreply 55December 5, 2022 12:33 AM

Did he encounter both flotsam AND jetsam?

by Anonymousreply 56December 5, 2022 4:23 AM

He seems like DL s type.

by Anonymousreply 57December 5, 2022 4:28 AM

“I’ll take an old fashioned” *hour later jumps into ocean*

by Anonymousreply 58December 5, 2022 5:05 AM

You can’t fight off jellyfish.

by Anonymousreply 59December 5, 2022 5:15 AM

[quote] Some of you don't realize how vast the ocean is.

Whew! Thanks for reminding me!

If he lost 20 lbs., he must've started out overweight. He still looks pudgy.

I wouldn't call him an "alpha for life" because of this. Frankly, he seems really dumb and lucky.

by Anonymousreply 60December 5, 2022 5:39 AM

[quote]Interesting-- I googled and everyone is just repeating the ABC News story without question-- CNN, Daily Beast, Daily Mail, People-- no one asking a medical expert or a survival expert "how extraordinary is this? Does the fact that he was likely drugged or drunk factor in? Is it possible he's making part of this up?"

The only thing being intoxicated might have been helpful with is that being drunk might have helped him not to panic. His laid back attitude probably helped him a lot too.

I almost drowned once when I was alone at a beach. It's super easy to get tired out. Your first response is to swim as hard as you can. But that's wrong because you get completely tired out in less than a few minutes. Then you panic. I was lucky that I remembered to float until I got my strength back. If you are ever stuck/thrown in the water, be very calm. Save your energy.

He probably knows what happened and how much drank. But he'll probably sue the cruise line and he doesn't want to give them anything they can use to blame him for this happening.

by Anonymousreply 61December 5, 2022 6:04 AM

Maybe he was on that Delta 8. I mean I don’t know how easy it is to sneak in but I’d mix my gummies with my vitamins.

by Anonymousreply 62December 5, 2022 6:06 AM

They should have leashes attached to all the trash in the bars on Carnival boats.

How many stories did he fall down. Those boats are tall. I'm sure being drunk is the solution to many questions here.

by Anonymousreply 63December 5, 2022 10:22 AM

where was RJ Wagner when this happened ?

by Anonymousreply 64December 5, 2022 10:24 AM

[quote] How many stories did he fall down. Those boats are tall.

Seriously, R63.

The public decks are on at least the 5th or 6th floors of a ship.

So that's about a 50 foot drop.

Everything about this story is amazing.

Mainly because it's all dumb luck.

by Anonymousreply 65December 5, 2022 10:43 AM

Why eat bamboo?

There's lots of fish in the sea!

by Anonymousreply 66December 5, 2022 7:19 PM

When she pressed him about how much he drank he revealed what a terrible terrible liar he is. Shouldn't there be camera footage?

by Anonymousreply 67December 6, 2022 12:10 AM

He comes across as an American version of Prince Harry. A simple, slightly endearing redhead who ends in bad situations because he makes stupid decisions.

by Anonymousreply 68December 6, 2022 12:17 AM

Perhaps someone should bookend R68 by explaining how The Trans™ fit into this

by Anonymousreply 69December 6, 2022 12:30 AM

[quote] When she pressed him about how much he drank he revealed what a terrible terrible liar he is. Shouldn't there be camera footage?

That's what I'd like to know.

Why isn't anyone calling him out on how much he drank?

It was obviously enough to black out and fall overboard.

Instead, everyone is pretending that aliens abducted him and dropped him in the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 70December 6, 2022 2:12 AM

R52 Blez you're hart.

by Anonymousreply 71December 6, 2022 2:14 AM

Thanks R9 ! There's one of you cunts on 3 out of 5 threads.

by Anonymousreply 72December 6, 2022 2:56 AM

[quote]Grimes shared with ABC that after telling his sister he was going to the bathroom at 11 p.m. local time that night, he regained consciousness in the ocean.

His first thought on regaining consciousness: "Man, that was a REALLY big piss!"

by Anonymousreply 73December 6, 2022 3:16 AM

I take umbrage with the reportage that he tread water for 20 hours. No one can tread water that long. He floated thanks to the salinity of the ocean. What's astounding is that he was found before he died of exposure.

by Anonymousreply 74December 7, 2022 10:15 PM

Is it possible this guy had some kind of flotation device or that he grabbed onto some kind of flotsam and then ditched it when the Coast Guard appeared?

by Anonymousreply 75December 7, 2022 10:41 PM

why would he ditch it

by Anonymousreply 76December 7, 2022 10:42 PM

The guy is a good example of why diction classes need to be taught in American schools.

by Anonymousreply 77December 7, 2022 11:10 PM

Is he open to a congratulatory blowjob from another guy?

by Anonymousreply 78December 7, 2022 11:11 PM

Definitely a miracle how he survived the fall and lasted that long treading water and not eaten by sharks.

by Anonymousreply 79December 8, 2022 12:09 AM

No doubt about it, R78. These types of guys are a lot of fun. I can only feel bad for the prissy twats who are so far up their own asses and cry about bisexual men.

by Anonymousreply 80December 8, 2022 12:22 AM

The cruise line company had a statement prepared because first, their PR people are professionals and second, this happens more often than you can imagine.

People get shitfaced at the bar at night and decide to go for a swim. They head for the pool deck and are so drunk they take a left rather than a right and do a swan dive into the ocean thinking they’re diving into the pool.

There are indeed railings but they are too low to prevent those who are contestants in the Darwin Awards of life from acting stupid. The cruise lines will not raise the rails because of the aesthetics and cost of redesign.

On average, 25 people go overboard every year.

This fool survived because he was so blotto his body shut down, which saved him… but deprived his next of kin of a multi-million dollar payout!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 8, 2022 9:03 AM

Too bad Balloon Boy wasn't floating by the vicinity.

by Anonymousreply 82December 8, 2022 9:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!