Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who actually buys Chanel clothes, bags and perfumes?

I'm not into fashion so never realized designer clothes were this expensive. Are they all like this?

I looked at a website selling Chanel out of curiosity, and everything was outrageously priced. 600 euro for a plain white vest. 3000 euro for a tweed jacket. 1000 euro for a basic black dress you'd see at a cheap department store.

Who buys this stuff? Is it only for the rich and privileged? What income bracket? What age? What attitude/outlook on life buys Chanel?

The clothes in H&M and Marks and Spencers is way cheaper and looks pretty much the same quality.

by Anonymousreply 208December 29, 2022 10:51 PM

I don't know and I don't care. Why not post in a woman's fashion forum instead of a gay gossip board?

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2022 10:45 PM

If you failed to notice, OP, there has been an explosion of wealth in the last 30 years, accelerating in the last 10 year, all moving up into the .1% or the .01%.

Having worked in that milieu, they buy luxury items. They enjoy it. They don't mind the expense, meaning the expense does not hurt them. They like that it is expensive.

You are correct about prices. About 10 years ago, luxury brands decided to start pricing higher and higher and higher. This has accelerated. Whereas in 40 years ago, a middle class person might save up and buy a luxury item on sale, for example, the concept today is to remove access to that layer of consumer. To protect exclusivity.

The price is not related so much to materials or workmanship. It's spotty. Sometimes there is quality, sometimes not so much.

In sum, these items do not make sense for the vast majority of consumers. They make sense for the very rich.

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2022 10:58 PM

Cha-NELLLLLL dah-LIIIIIIING đŸ’…đŸ»

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2022 11:00 PM

Asians.

by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2022 11:01 PM

I know rich ladies in Geneva, London and Paris who buy extreme luxury and couture. They have fortunes, OP. At least 50million often several hundred million. They are very turned out. Everything in their lives is exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2022 11:02 PM

Rich people. It’s Monopoly money to them.

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2022 11:04 PM

Couture is a very different thing than just buying Chanel R5. That's a whole other echelon of exclusivity.

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2022 11:04 PM

Well yes I know that. But rich ladies but both, my dear.

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2022 11:05 PM

Dollar General

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2022 11:06 PM

R1 probably is a fat cunt.

Of course we talk about fashion here. And art, theatre, music, politics, science, current news and events, history, and all matter of things that are "gay," gay-involved, gay-adjacent and gay because we are human beings and life excites and stimulates us.

We also talk about fat cunts such as you who cannot manage a proper R1 post.

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2022 11:14 PM

R2 Does these types buy only a few items, so they have say "I own Chanel", or does the majority of their wardrobe consist of it?

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2022 11:15 PM

People have brands they favor. So they buy some every year. Again, the very rich do not buy 1 item to say they own Chanel. That would be the middle class. The very rich buy 1 super yacht to say they own a super yacht.

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2022 11:17 PM

Marge Simpson looked sophisticated in her Chanel suit. Just like Mary Hart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2022 11:19 PM

Middle class and average meagre rich will have a treasured purse or piece, yes. You can buy luxury on the resale market, OP. Someone might have a hand me down. A Chanel shoulder bag from the 70s or 80s is indestructible. People who can't afford a large collection of luxury and the latest, super expensive items, of very recent years, can also rent them. All big cities have companies now that rent luxury purses and dresses, too.

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2022 11:20 PM

I really worry for you, OP, if a Chanel perfume is out of your reach.

by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2022 11:22 PM

Middle class people can afford to buy a bottle of Chanel perfume. Likely on sale. But all the luxury brands have exclusive lines of perfume now, that are double the price of their classics that they don't mind selling to the hoi polloi.

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2022 11:25 PM

R15 that is a mean and ignorant kind of snark. Many people struggle to pay for groceries and $200 bottles of designer fragrance or $400 bottles of an extrait or parfum are well beyond the budget of the vast majority of world's population. Let alone a $600 niche parfum.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2022 11:26 PM

For more on Chanel specifically. A customer coming off the street does not have the right to buy anything and everything. Even if very rich. Many items are only sold to steady customers known to the boutique and on corporate lists.

by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2022 11:29 PM

They limit the run on items, to keep the high price justified and keep the "exclusivity". Not a lot of luxury brands do that. I'm friends with the owner of HermĂšs. Demand for coveted items has increased 5x in recent years. They don't do waiting lists anymore. Prices have soared. Go to the boutique and see what's in stock.

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2022 11:32 PM

R5 From Paris to Berlin and every disco I get in â€ŠđŸ˜©

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2022 11:37 PM

The handbags are hugely popular, right now. The prices have increased, accordingly. I'd say that middle class to wealthy people buy the handbags.

The clothes / ready to wear? I'm guessing only the wealthy. If you're middle class, you're not going to spend that much money on an article of clothing. You'd rather use it towards a handbag.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2022 11:42 PM

Rich people have a completely different mindset than those that don't have money. I found a canopy for a bed in a catalog and showed it to my friend who was looking for one. She didn't really want it but bought one from a decorator in Lake Chautauqua for about triple the price and it was the same exact one that had been in the catalog. If it has a high price tag on it then it must be good and it is what they want.

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2022 11:55 PM

I have a neighbour who, along with his girlfriend sells designer bags on their Facebook pages for $250 at most. They also host raffles for anyone who wants to win a bag. Every month, they brag about how they have a new batch of bags to sell--the pictures they upload make it look like they have at least 50 bags.

I don't know how they are affording all this. If the bags aren't counterfeit, then how can they make a profit by charge $250 when the actual bag cost them a few thousand each.

She's a hairdresser and he's a construction worker.

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2022 12:02 AM

The bags are fake. If the bags are real, and stolen, they would sell them for the price they can get. Current bags don't even depreciate from being owned if its a bag that is hard to buy new.

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2022 12:05 AM

[quote] I have a neighbour who, along with his girlfriend sells designer bags on their Facebook pages for $250 at most.

Definitely counterfeit.

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2022 12:05 AM

Chanel, like Gucci, Prada and Louis Vuitton is well known even to people who don't know much about fashion.

Thus it is often the first thing someone will buy to show that they've made it.

Chanel in particular seems to be very popular with a certain type of female business executive--say a successful commercial real estate broker in Fort Worth, Texas.

And of course Asians and Arabs buy it up by the boatload.

The downside for the aforementioned brands is that true fashion snobs might own a vintage piece or two but have migrated to lesser known brands.

The upside is that there are far more successful commercial real estate brokers in Fort Worth types than fashion snobs, and so they've been very successful financially. The markup on their lower end items in particular (LV keychains and the like) is quite lucrative.

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2022 12:06 AM

R18 That's why I wouldn't bother with Chanel and other elitist brands. If I'm not good enough to buy some of the "special" products, then why should I spend anything on that snobby brand?

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2022 12:07 AM

New money types in Asia or places like Texas or Atlanta. When I lived in Atlanta, the Nieman-Marcus had a giant "Chanel" sign. I figured if you could afford stuff like that you didn't need a sign, but they do in Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2022 12:09 AM

R24 But wouldn't they fear getting caught? After buying a bag, the customer might go to a designer store and show them the bag, asking if it's real or not. If it turns out to be fake, then it's jail time for the counterfeit sellers.

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2022 12:13 AM

It would be risky in Europe but I don't know how active the counterfeiting tracking by criminal justice is in the USA. I remember when they did sweeps in tourist spots and china town in the 90s when it started to explode in popularity with asian imports.

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2022 12:17 AM

I prefer Givenchi myself.

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2022 12:18 AM

Oops Givenchy

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2022 12:20 AM

These "luxury" items are Veblen goods, meaning that the more they cost, the more they are coveted. That's why demand is (seemingly paradoxically) going up as prices rise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2022 12:25 AM

It's ver-sayce.

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2022 12:26 AM

There is a huge market for 2nd hand designer goods. It is not as if you are buying a pricey item and that's it ... the end of the line for the item. These things are resold at a decent amount of cash.

by Anonymousreply 35December 2, 2022 12:52 AM

Those bag collectors on YT fascinate me as much as horrify and disgust me. I mean what empty goals, yet blissfully easy and earthy. These people aren’t worried about existence or humanity or love or Gods. In some way, that must be nice...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 2, 2022 1:31 AM

r2, less than a decade ago eBay used to be Shangri-La for second hand designer pieces, hundreds of pages of beautiful clothes available to everyone in every brand (Chanel was still the most exclusive, even then), but in the past year or two I went back to visit and the vast majority of that market has been wiped away, I suspected it was the brands themselves somehow putting their collective foot down and putting an end to it!

by Anonymousreply 37December 2, 2022 1:32 AM

r35, the second hand market is still going, but it used to be so so much bigger and accessible

by Anonymousreply 38December 2, 2022 1:33 AM

not that I could afford it, but I'm lucky in a way, to have been taught since childhood how tacky it is to advertise a brand, a label - Chanel seem to be very fond of that these days

by Anonymousreply 39December 2, 2022 1:39 AM

I’ve always been curious about what happens to all the last season product that isn’t sold. Donated? Destroyed?

I envision out Darfur Orphan hungry but decked out in head to toe last season Gucci.

by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2022 1:41 AM

OP please. You sound like my granny: “who buys all these expensive condos!?”

by Anonymousreply 41December 2, 2022 1:47 AM

R37, the younger people I know who care about these designer labels don't seem to go to eBay except as a last resort. They're on the apps -- RealReal, Poshmark, ThredUp, Depop, Shopify, etc etc.

I assume a lot of the designer bags are going there instead of onto eBay.

by Anonymousreply 42December 2, 2022 1:48 AM

I wore Chanel pour hommes for years. I loved it. Now I'm poor and can't afford it.

by Anonymousreply 43December 2, 2022 1:56 AM

or higher end sites like the Vestaire Collective - but I'm telling you eBay used to be THE place! Though I never cared much about bags.

by Anonymousreply 44December 2, 2022 1:57 AM

Dumbasses.

by Anonymousreply 45December 2, 2022 2:02 AM

It was just a fun world to be able to dip your toes in to at an affordable price point, as a novelty, and to experience what it feels like to wear a well tailored garment - a second hand designer, ready to wear piece, was/is many people's first experience of that kind of quality, and gives them a standard for the clothes they buy in the future, generally, outside of the big brands.

by Anonymousreply 46December 2, 2022 2:18 AM

The second-hand market for luxury handbags is huge, it's just moved away from eBay. It's called "pre-loved" (barf), now.

by Anonymousreply 47December 2, 2022 2:24 AM

You can pick up great knock offs all over NYC for $10-$15. So the stitching isn't as good. Big deal! They can look even better when brand new.

by Anonymousreply 48December 2, 2022 2:28 AM

Chanel was a nasty old bitch, a homophobe, an anti semite, a Nazi sympathizer who had an affair with an SS officer and. apparently, she also worked as a spy for German intelligence, why hasn't she been cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 49December 2, 2022 2:36 AM

Chanel is for old ladies

by Anonymousreply 50December 2, 2022 2:36 AM

Princess Diana never wore Chanel because the two C's reminded her of a pair of cufflinks Camilla gave Charles with an entwined pair of C's for Charles and Camilla engraved on them.

by Anonymousreply 51December 2, 2022 2:38 AM

I dream of Chanel

In a Hilton hotel...

A new one!

by Anonymousreply 52December 2, 2022 2:38 AM

I’ve been to two Chanel boutiques in the past few years.

I was in Vegas and there was a shop that only sold the make-up and perfumes. Some of the perfumes were exclusive to these stores. I did buy my 200 dollar bottle of Channel 22. It’s a powdery beautiful fragrance.

There is another one of those boutiques in Austin, went into that one as well. Again, just the make-up and perfumes and sunglasses.

Anyway, as a lesser mortal, I can go buy a 34 dollar eyeliner pencil and a mascara and can say I was in a Chanel store.

Never, in a million years, would I dare go into an actual Chanel clothing store. The few Chanel stores in Vegas that I saw were always empty. There were more salespersons than customers.

Maybe some luxury goods brands are realizing that their make-up and fragrance lines are much more affordable (yeah, a $200.00 bottle of perfume still isn’t within a lot of peoples’ means) and they want to have those sales.

BTW, a regional department store here, where I live have LV purses. Some are brand new and some are gently used. You can buy one with your store credit card and take a year to pay it off. I bought one! â˜ș

by Anonymousreply 53December 2, 2022 2:39 AM

[quote] Never, in a million years, would I dare go into an actual Chanel clothing store.

Why not? Just walk in and take a look around.

by Anonymousreply 54December 2, 2022 2:42 AM

R54 It’s never about the money. Always the principle!

by Anonymousreply 55December 2, 2022 2:46 AM

What's the principle? You're willing to go into the Chanel fragrance / cosmetics store and buy eyeliner and perfume.

by Anonymousreply 56December 2, 2022 2:48 AM

What do you mean, R55?

by Anonymousreply 57December 2, 2022 2:51 AM

Hell I don't know anyone who buys it. We're all broke as a joke though.

by Anonymousreply 58December 2, 2022 2:55 AM

Chanel is for old ladies whose prime was in the 60s and nouveau riche Asians trying to be westerners

by Anonymousreply 59December 2, 2022 3:45 AM

[quote]BTW, a regional department store here, where I live have LV purses. Some are brand new and some are gently used. You can buy one with your store credit card and take a year to pay it off. I bought one! â˜ș

And this, kids, is how people end up thousands of dollars in debt. I get paying a car or something like that in installments, but a purse, really?

by Anonymousreply 60December 2, 2022 3:58 AM

What? I did pay it off! In 10 months no less.

by Anonymousreply 61December 2, 2022 4:01 AM

I guess the point is, you still were in debt for a while ... for a purse.

by Anonymousreply 62December 2, 2022 4:06 AM

You might've paid off that particular item, R61, but what if you'd lost your job after 3 months, gotten sick or something like that? I was taught that if you have to pay for something in installments, you cannot *really* afford it, and should abstain from buying it unless it's something you desperately need.

by Anonymousreply 63December 2, 2022 4:11 AM

Yeah, I see your point, R63.

Lucky for me I didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2022 4:16 AM

LV isn't even leather. it's plastic lol.

Chanel's quality has gone downhill a lot!

Hermes is still ok.

by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2022 4:24 AM

Many designer items, be it clothes, shoes, bags... are so bland-looking, or even ugly as shit. It's like once a brand has reached a certain level of "exclusivity", their products don't even have to be tasteful or high-quality anymore, people will pay for the name no matter what the stuff looks like.

I'll never understand why the fuck people fall for that ... not all "label queens" are into re-selling. I know a guy who'd rather borrow money from friends/acquaintances, and get sued for not paying it back, than sell some of his designer items that are probably worths hundreds or thousands. I guess he's so insecure that he needs to keep up the facade as a rich and fabulous guy even though he can barely pay his rent.

by Anonymousreply 66December 2, 2022 4:42 AM

The only people I see in Chanel and Dior and all those high end stores are tacky Asians who look as if they might as well have shopped at Walmart. These labels only look "luxe" on the thin and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 67December 2, 2022 4:47 AM

"How could I buy a real Chanel with all the hunger in the world?!"

by Anonymousreply 68December 2, 2022 5:04 AM

We don’t flaunt wealth much these days.

by Anonymousreply 69December 2, 2022 5:10 AM

Chanel is a rich old lady brand. They don't sell men's wear that I'm aware of.

As for high end fashion, many people buy it and not necessarily rich people. I'm not rich and I own pieces by Prada, Comme des Garcons, Yohji Yamamoto, Jil Sander, Marni, Margiela, JW Anderson, Acne, etc. There are so many online stores to buy high fashion at: SSense, Matches, Farfetch, Yoox, to name a few.

Everything I buy is HEAVILY on sale...if you're not rich you don't buy full retail for anything. Also have the advantage of being male since menswear is much cheaper than womens. And, I don't buy suits or formal wear which is always out of my price range (plus I don't wear suits/formal wear). And, I stay away from the really high end stuff like Gucci and Tom Ford because it's so expensive and seldom on sale (and, I'm not really a fan of either).

I buy it because I like nice clothes. High end fashion is well made and high quality (an easy way to tell if it's it counterfeit, is by quality.) I'd rather spend $250 on an one onsale sweater of high quality marked down from $900 than buy 5 shitty $50 sweaters at Men's Wearhouse or Macy's.

But, I also wear tons of stuff from H&M, Target and The Gap. I'm not spending a hundred bucks for a pair of underpants.

by Anonymousreply 70December 2, 2022 5:27 AM

I do not buy fast fashion like H&M, Zara etc. I only buy quality clothing that will last. Of course if it's basic stuff, Gap will do. I try to buy things that are not made in china.

fashion is one of the biggest polluter of earth!

by Anonymousreply 71December 2, 2022 5:35 AM

R71, high-fashion used to be a lot more accessible and affordable years ago. I remember, as a young teenager, going to fancy stores in New York and Chicago and thinking $300 for a pair of pants was insane, but today those same pants are close to $1000. I do market research for a law firm that specializes in consumer protection and the garment industry is one they've been keeping eyes on for several years. I don't have a lot of knowledge regarding individual brands themselves, but the vast majority of purchases in the US' high-end sector are not made by wealthy people, but younger, wealth-aspiring individuals trying to curate a very specific look. To be clear, these aren't people we'd consider financially poor, but most designer goods are purchased by people who actually can't afford them. Anecdotally, I used to work at a Marshall Field's with an immense designer collection (surprisingly, MF always was a much better selection than the Neimans and Saks in the city), and almost all my designer good sales were to young women and men, who often had to stretch a purchase over two or three credit cards. It also needs to be mentioned that a significant amount of designer sales are also employee sales, which are usually discounted. I know at the Marshall Field's I work at, every quarter they'd release the breakdown of sales and designer goods were always heavily padded by employee purchases, sometimes as much as 60% of the quarter revenue for the department.

by Anonymousreply 72December 2, 2022 6:38 AM

[quote] Maybe some luxury goods brands are realizing that their make-up and fragrance lines are much more affordable (yeah, a $200.00 bottle of perfume still isn’t within a lot of peoples’ means) and they want to have those sales.

LOL, it's not that-- as per R26, they realize they can make a small fortune off of that stuff as the markup is immense and they have enough brand recognition to sell things like make-up and keychains in large quantities.

Many of the high end brands do something similar for the Asian and Middle Eastern markets -- they'll make cheap sweatshirts with GUCCI or CHANEL emblazoned on them in two foot type that they sell for $800, knowing that the customers for those items will be rich Chinese and Saudis who only care about the label being as visible as possible. There are other goods with less visible labels, for North Americans and Europeans.

And R40, they do burn it. It;s actually quite controversial and gets a lot of press.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 2, 2022 6:57 AM

My extremely wealthy SIL wears Chanel clothing (and Gucci, Lanvin, etc.) and she is neither Asian nor over 60. Chanel's ready-to-wear is still mostly impeccably made; their handbags sometimes less so (not as good as Hermes).

The prices OP mentioned must be for used clothes, because dresses are mostly WAY over 1000 and jackets are 4,000-10,000+. They also still do real haute couture, where individual pieces can have six-figure prices.

It's shocking how expensive high-end clothing has become. In menswear, a Tom Ford or Kiton suit can be over 10,000. Off the rack...not custom.

by Anonymousreply 74December 2, 2022 7:55 AM

The poor and middle class (on credit)

by Anonymousreply 75December 2, 2022 8:36 AM

The perfumes and lower end items are affordable for most people, if their priorities are so out of whack they save for them or put them on credit. The high end stuff is bought by rich people, of which there are many. If you're a multi millionaire with passive income constantly flowing in, spending a few grand on a sweater isn't really a big deal. The stuff is well made, feels luxurious, and the experience of shopping in a high end store is much nicer than in a crowded department store. That's about it.

by Anonymousreply 76December 2, 2022 8:40 AM

Surely R23 can't be that deluded?

by Anonymousreply 77December 2, 2022 9:11 AM

r77 people seem weirdly naive and gullible these days. I'm constantly called jaded and cynical only for it to come out later that I was - obviously - right.

by Anonymousreply 78December 2, 2022 11:05 AM

There is a hilarious guy on Youtube who buys Chanel and then complains about everything. He buys and wears Chanel clothing and handbags and gets excited when they give him a glass of Champagne at the store when he visits to pick up his items. He isn't rich, I think that he saves and uses his YT income to feed his Chanel habit. The thing is there are so many like him out there. I don't think that Chanel wants to promote that image but they don't mind the millions of income from people who have a little Chanel fetish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 2, 2022 11:40 AM

I don’t care how rich you are, it’s insane to buy a white button down cotton shirt for $700.00 when it’s $25.00 in a local shop. The Birkin bags are plain and ugly but cost what a car costs. Why? Just to say you have one? To grossly flaunt wealth like a tacky cunt? A 6k skirt that douchebag Markle wore yet cried she’s poor ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The KarTRASHians collect these outrageously priced designer wares just to say they own them. But they have zero style. If a stylist doesn’t dress them, they’re dressed like porn stars.

by Anonymousreply 80December 2, 2022 11:45 AM

Overpaid top flight footballers & their WAGs are notorious for acting as walking billboards for all these tacky bougie brands. Again, one wonders whether it’s the image these brands appreciate, given how chavvy and low rent it makes them look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 2, 2022 12:27 PM

r10 it warms my heart to see you use the phrase "fat cunt". special thx to you. peace.

by Anonymousreply 82December 2, 2022 12:33 PM

Again, R81, they make their money on the lower end stuff they sell to middle class and working class people in the US and Europe and on the massively overpriced logo wear crap they sell in Asia and the Middle East.

So being associated with chavs and with rap stars does not seem to have hurt their bottom line even if it has made them somewhat less popular with the upper middle classes.

Louis Vuitton's profits from key chains and coin purses more than makes up for whatever they lose from Upper East Side ladies deciding their bags are for "rappers"

by Anonymousreply 83December 2, 2022 1:16 PM

I like high end stuff but I’m far from rich. I buy resales from Japan

.much more affordable if you don’t mind preowned

by Anonymousreply 84December 2, 2022 1:21 PM

R10, please go to the doctor and have that lost remaining Halloween candy you had hidden up your fat cunt removed?

That's nasty.

Keep it in a knock-off Chanel bag in the future.

by Anonymousreply 85December 2, 2022 1:31 PM

R94 which Japanese sites are safe and secure? Trying to navigate their internet is a batshit endeavour, I’ve learned, from trying to find and buy merch for my favourite theatre company (Takarazuka).

by Anonymousreply 86December 2, 2022 1:32 PM

R79 I LOVE Dakob. Yes he's quite eccentric and materialistic. But he is very thorough in his review of fashion and perfume. His perfume reviews are journeys and he's not stupid about what he says, but he is also fantastical and poetic. At least, he's not a cookie-cutter shill.

by Anonymousreply 87December 2, 2022 1:34 PM

Let's hope that when R94 posts they will have an answer for you R86

by Anonymousreply 88December 2, 2022 1:34 PM

Very rich pro jocks and their trophy wives and girlfriends are not bad for a designer brand's image. These jocks make many many millions a year, and are idolized by the majority of the population. They have glamour to them. A mid-eastern sheik does not think its a negative if crass but star footballers have the same extreme luxury cars and watches as they do.

by Anonymousreply 89December 2, 2022 1:38 PM

Anybody buys the perfumes, fragrance is aspirational. The bags are a mnix of wealthy and middle class who saved their pennies but the clothes are purchased mainly by Asians and other assorted wealthy but trend conscious people.

The weird thing about Chanel is even if it can be over the top - the clothing and silhouettes are classic, it's unlikely you'd look out of place 20 years from now if you pull it out of your closet and wear it, kinda like Prada but unlike Balenciaga or even Gucci.

by Anonymousreply 90December 2, 2022 1:40 PM

In NYC, Chanel is very popular among whores and escorts. I know a Polish hooker who wears Chanel only. Her big customer takes her shopping there for $50k shopping sprees. I think she sticks with that brand because of the resell value and also it helps with the insecurities bc it’s not a “sexy” brand
 it’s associated originally with wealthy older married women.

Now mostly hookers wear it, I have noticed. They especially love the huge flap bags and the tweed tube top looks. Even the ad campaigns now kind of cater to them
 the models look like exhausted barely legal prostitutes.

by Anonymousreply 91December 2, 2022 2:23 PM

I'm disappointed Holland & Holland gave up on their clothing line.

by Anonymousreply 92December 2, 2022 2:40 PM

Buying from Japan sounds like a good idea. They supposedly have strict counterfeit laws.

Anyway, here's a guide (Classics w/a Quirk) on how to buy pre-owned from Japan. This YouTuber does know Japanese, but I think you can do it without knowing Japanese.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 2, 2022 3:35 PM

there are millions of personal assistants and low ranked workers in Japan who save all their pennies so they can buy Chanel bags.

by Anonymousreply 94December 2, 2022 3:37 PM

So all this branded clobber is essentially the equivalent of the mink/sable coat in the previous century.

by Anonymousreply 95December 2, 2022 6:20 PM

I noticed on the instagram account South Parkers- Trey Parker's family - the little girl celebrated her birthday by taking a bunch of friends to the Chanel shop. They were all pictured with Chanel bags outside, probably just big enough for accessories, make-up, perfume, etc.

Trey's partner is one of the tackiest bitches ever and is sadly bringing up their daughter to be the same - wearing denim cut-offs 99% of the time, often getting her fake tits out and putting the little girl in cut-offs and see-through clothes. I even saw her mimic her mother's trashy behaviour in one clip.

by Anonymousreply 96December 2, 2022 10:06 PM

Chanel’s popularity, particularly their bags, has skyrocketed over the past decade. We can thank Asians, Arabs, Russians and reality/social media celebrities for their frenetic nouveau riche spending habits. The problem is that Chanel is desperately trying to balance their exclusivity and their bottom line. You don’t want to end up like Burberry and be the chav brand of choice.

Twenty years ago, the classic Chanel bag was $1600, affordable for a middle class lady if she saved up. Perfect 40th/50th birthday present to oneself. Five years ago, the price was $4800. Much more expensive, still within reach for maybe someone who had saved up. This year, the price was raised to $8800 in a bizarre upward trajectory since the pandemic. Why? Too many people buying Chanel bags, flooding the resale market. Too many lowbrow people sporting the bag. So Chanel has made a decision to emulate Hermes. They’ve raised their prices, reduced inventory, installing quotas, offering bags only to top spending clients (a $30K per year spend is being flirted with before being eligible for the bag). On top of that, unlike Hermes, their quality has fallen.

It is disgusting that average people are being pushed away from owning a classic piece of Chanel in favor of trash with their defaulted credit cards and crazy foreign buyers with their tacky style. We’ll see how Chanel lands by alienating normal people.

by Anonymousreply 97December 8, 2022 5:40 AM

I used to have some leather jackets. But once they get dirty (In NYC the grit in the air will do it) they are never be the same. You can spend a fortune getting them cleaned/ dry cleaned/ whatever - just never the same.

by Anonymousreply 98December 8, 2022 11:14 AM

[quote]
how tacky it is to advertise a brand, a label - Chanel seem to be very fond of that these days.

Their hideous N°5 line for starters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 8, 2022 12:09 PM

New York women stopped buying couture when Filene's Basement closed.

by Anonymousreply 100December 8, 2022 2:00 PM

My sister shops consignment on line for labels. WTF would buy an Hermes purse for $13,000.....used??????????????

by Anonymousreply 101December 8, 2022 2:39 PM

"The clothes in H&M and Marks and Spencers is way cheaper and looks pretty much the same quality." OP, if you really think that H&M and Marks and Spencer are exactly the same quality as Chanel, then you are fucking clueless.

by Anonymousreply 102December 8, 2022 2:42 PM

R103 They might be cheaper materials, but they look just as nice, if not better. Most people don't wear the same clothes year after year, so if you're going to want to mix things up, you'd be silly to pay $1000 for a plain jumper. Somebody above mentioned Marge Simpson and the Chanel suit' fashion snobs mocked her for wearing it all the time--but she got it on sale, and it was the only designer item she could afford, then she went crazy trying to tailor it to make it look different.

by Anonymousreply 103December 8, 2022 4:06 PM

TheRealReal...that's who...

Got rid of a bunch of high end clothes from dead relatives...

And they sell.

by Anonymousreply 104December 8, 2022 4:17 PM

"The clothes in H&M and Marks and Spencers is way cheaper and looks pretty much the same quality."

Oh, DEAR, OP!

by Anonymousreply 105December 8, 2022 4:24 PM

Pretentious blacks love them some chananay.

by Anonymousreply 106December 8, 2022 4:33 PM

Because there's no such thing as pretentious whites, R106?

by Anonymousreply 107December 8, 2022 5:11 PM

R107 Those words or font never came out my mouth or computer.

by Anonymousreply 108December 8, 2022 5:15 PM

[quote] [R103] They might be cheaper materials, but they look just as nice, if not better. Most people don't wear the same clothes year after year, so if you're going to want to mix things up, you'd be silly to pay $1000 for a plain jumper.

No, H&M clothes don't look nicer / better than Chanel off-the-rack (if you're comparing, for example, two black blazers).

People, including me, do, indeed, wear the same clothes year after year. I try to shop for mostly classics and things that I can own / wear for a long time. No, you don't have to pay $1,000 for a jumper / sweater. I don't even wear sweaters.

Not everybody is buying the latest trends (e.g., cold shoulder blouse) and then throwing it away / donating it a year later. It all ends up in a landfill.

by Anonymousreply 109December 8, 2022 5:34 PM

The Real Real has good shit. Men's wear too. The clothes today are cheap. Cheap fabrics, cheaply made and they are flooding the market. Even if you go directly to Nordstrom or Macy yu will still get the cheap shit but at high prices. So I would rather shop designers on Consignment to get good quality like they don't sell anymore, than go to Nordstrom and pay full price for garbage.

by Anonymousreply 110December 8, 2022 5:38 PM

Chanel perfume does not normally ever go on sale, but it can be had for under $100.

by Anonymousreply 111December 8, 2022 5:42 PM

Chanel Perfume shows up on online discounting perfume shops. Chanel 19 edt, 100ml, retails for 150 at a bourgeois department store in Geneva yet I bought a bottle from an online fragrance shop for 65 or so, last time I bought one. Not fake. Not stolen. All these companies will dump supply to the grey market when they need a cash infusion. I'm deciding now whether to buy two new bottles, new formulations of Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge. The very newest formulations of the Guerlain classics are better than anyone expected. Better than the last iterations. Nothing is like the fragrances of pre-2000. But the first fragrance reformulations of the 21st century could be quite disappointing so now they are doing them again, if they care about keeping up quality and tradition. The new Jicky, L'Heure bleu, Vol de nuit, etc are all quite nice. Surprise! Anyhow, these two bottles of Vetiver and Habit Rouge are 66% off "High Street" retail. Nobody knows 150 ml bottles of these even exist, maybe why they are being dumped through an online seller.

I don't think any 100ml bottles of Chanel exist under $100 at "High Street" shops. (High Street is British and means department stores on the main commerce streets of a city.) A 50ml bottle of Bleu de Chanel EDP is 100 dollars right now in High Street shops.

At the same time, I see 50 ml bottles of Missoni Wave, currently under 20 bucks! And the Missoni is a gorgeous alternative to Bleu de Chanel, and normally retails for 60 bucks for 50ml.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112December 8, 2022 5:57 PM

My Ma wore Chanel #5. THe first guy I even got with, as freshman in college, wore Jade East. Now it makes me gag. I loved Paco Rabanne.

by Anonymousreply 113December 8, 2022 6:04 PM

the best deal I ever got on Chanel fragrance was when Century 21 was closing and were having clearance sales. They were selling the tester bottles. The package is plain white but the bottle is the same. I bought 5 bottles of various scents for only 60 bucks!

by Anonymousreply 114December 8, 2022 6:42 PM

That's a great deal. Do you still have some or have you used it all up? What did you get?

by Anonymousreply 115December 8, 2022 6:43 PM

R110, you can't return anything on The Real Real, can you? Don't you have to buy and hope for the best?

by Anonymousreply 116December 8, 2022 6:54 PM

R116, You can return some things. But usually what happens is you re-consign them. So you won't get all your money back but you get some. It depends on what you buy. Some things are returnable.

by Anonymousreply 117December 8, 2022 10:46 PM

Sounds like a rigmarole, R117. Too much work.

by Anonymousreply 118December 8, 2022 10:54 PM

[quote]The clothes in H&M and Marks and Spencers is way cheaper and looks pretty much the same quality

To you they probably do look the same.

Kate Middleton in a fabulous vintage (1995) Chanel jacket:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119December 8, 2022 11:00 PM

I'll never believe designer clothes are worth the price. Look at this Jacket. It's Chanel and costs thousands. I saw something very similar in a department store a few months ago, and it only cost $120. Both made from Tweed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120December 8, 2022 11:27 PM

A year or two ago I read in an article in the WaPo about a young woman who bought a Chanel advent calender. It was the company's 100th aniversary; the advent calender was in the shape of the Chanel perfume bottle. She thought it would be a clever idea to go on TikTok and every day open a door in her advent calender to show everyone what she'd got. Well, what she got was stickers. And a magnet. And a little plastic snow globe. And a dust bag, an empty cloth bag with the Chandel logo on it. Cheap little trinkets. She became incensed; THIS is what I"m getting out of my Chanel advent calender? The damn thing cost her $825.00. There was a comment section to the atrticle and she got little sympathy there. They figured it served her right if she were foolish enought tot spend that amount of money on such a trifling thing. Others angrily said that she could have done something useful with the money, like provide meals for the hungry or contribute to an animal rescue group. As for me, I figured it was her money and if she wanted to spend it on a silly luxury item then it was her right to do so. But it did seem dumb to throw away money like that, on some silly pieice of fluff. I think a lot of luxury items are like that; very expensive but not really that great.

by Anonymousreply 121December 9, 2022 12:05 AM

Hunty R120, if you owned any designer clothes, you'd see the difference in quality with, say, Prada or Armani.

by Anonymousreply 122December 9, 2022 12:07 AM

CHANEL STICKERS!!!!! though....

by Anonymousreply 123December 9, 2022 12:36 AM

Hermes overpriced trinket = $550. Hair clips = $450 and up. I do love me some Hermes though. Just not this crap for young Asian girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124December 9, 2022 1:03 AM

Some designers do beautiful, wearable things....Ermanno Scervino, Marchesa, Zuhair Murad, Loro Piana, Gucci (not everything, for sure), Anne Fontaine, Ferragamo, to name a select few.

by Anonymousreply 125December 9, 2022 9:56 AM

most designers have various lines and the lower lines are all made in china. the higher end, better quality lines are of course more expensive.

by Anonymousreply 126December 9, 2022 6:23 PM

Nothing Chanel is made in China. Chanel has a whole bunch of historic craft ateliers working for it. The vast majority of the clothing is made in Paris or France, with some clothing and accessories made in Spain and Italy.

[quote]Chanel's haute couture ateliers are based in Paris, France, and its ready-to-wear collections are also largely manufactured in Paris. Additionally, the label has eleven savoir faire maisons — Desrues, Michel, LemariĂ©, Lesage, Massaro, Goossens, Guillet, Montex, Causse, Barrie and Atelier GĂ©rard Lognon — five are based in a specialist complex in Pantin, a Parisian suburb. The remaining seven savoir faire maisons are based around Paris.

[quote]To create its haute couture and ready-to-wear collections, the company employs teams of specialists known by their traditional titles of premieres, secondes and les petites mains, as well as façonniers, the ready-to-wear manufacturers. Chanel eyewear is produced through a license with Luxottica.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127December 9, 2022 7:33 PM

Some of my favorite fragrances are from Chanel, so I just price-compare and only pay for what I can afford. I wear both male and female-oriented scents, so it's a thrill to come across a vintage bottle on eBay or Etsy. I just looked, and a 3.4 oz bottle of Chanel No 19 costs less on the Chanel website than it does at Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 128December 9, 2022 7:49 PM

R126 Chanel doesn't make anything in China you low rent ho.

by Anonymousreply 129December 9, 2022 8:24 PM

Anyone who sells their Chanel bag will most likely get more than they paid for it. Their prices continue to go up and will never go down.

by Anonymousreply 130December 9, 2022 8:40 PM

I always keep a little No. 5 around, and some YSL Opium.

Other than that I keep a collection of vintage scents. I splash them on loose cats to carry home and spread charm about their families' houses.

by Anonymousreply 131December 9, 2022 8:41 PM

OP, go on You Tube and you will see numerous young woman displaying their Chanel bags who are not rich. They save for them or buy them preloved.

by Anonymousreply 132December 9, 2022 8:51 PM

you people are stupid. Many things are made 90% in china. then they will ship the stuff to Italy and have the zipper finished in Italy and then put Made In Italy on the products. Many brands does this. Maybe not Chanel but it been happening for years.

by Anonymousreply 133December 9, 2022 11:27 PM

R133 You do not know what you are talking about.

"In 2009, the Italian law stated that only products totally made in Italy (planning, manufacturing and packaging) are allowed to use the labels "Made in Italy", "100% Made in Italy", "100% Italia", "tutto italiano" in every language, with or without the flag of Italy. Each abuse is punished by the Italian law."

"Compared with "Made in Germany" ('all essential manufacturing steps') and "Made in the USA" ('all or virtually all'), Italian regulation is more restrictive ('totally') in determining what qualifies for the use of the "Made in Italy" label.""

by Anonymousreply 134December 10, 2022 12:16 AM

Made in Italy....by Chinese factory workers.

What is your objection to clothing or other items made in China - the treatment of the workers or the quality of the workmanship?

For a number of years, Italy has been importing Chinese workers to work in Italian factories. The working conditions are European standard, better than in China, where suicide nets are installed to prevent workers from killing themselves due to the horrible working conditions. Prato, outside Florence, has one of the largest Chinese communities in Europe.

However....on the direct flights from Wuhan to Milano, something else was imported besides Chinese factory workers. What might that be?

by Anonymousreply 135December 10, 2022 2:44 AM

[quote]Made in Italy....by Chinese factory workers.

Now, that IS true.

Although the high-end stuff is still mostly made by very skilled artisans and they are Italian. Prato is known mostly for its production of fast-fashion.

by Anonymousreply 136December 10, 2022 2:49 AM

Go to any open market in Italy and the racks of cheap clothes, clearly made in China or India, all have a Made in Italy label on them.

by Anonymousreply 137December 10, 2022 3:38 AM

Are the Chanel shows still a big deal now like they were in the 90s? Who are the celebrities attending and do the shows get much attention outside of the fashion press?

by Anonymousreply 138December 10, 2022 5:13 AM

R138 I'm writing all that down. I'll report back to you later. Can I get you a coffee?

by Anonymousreply 139December 10, 2022 5:23 AM

That's right, r133, Chanel absolutely does not have its stuff made in China.

R135, do you have any evidence not only that Chanel is made in Italy, but that it's made by Chinese in Italy?

R137, anyone who wants to buy Italian-tailored clothing would not buy it off a street market.

by Anonymousreply 140December 10, 2022 6:19 AM

I was living in paris with my parents when I was a teenager. The chic parisiettes, daughters of the upper class, would laugh at the idea of wearing Chanel, Vuitton, etc. It was considered tourist trap tacky, faux-pas. Thzy would wear their grand-mamans Chanel bag/ Carré Hermes / furs, for costume balls and such, as a jest. They had hot trendy pet designers MAKING clothes especially for them.

by Anonymousreply 141December 10, 2022 6:29 AM

R140, this is a translation of part of the article linked below (in Italian).

' How important is Italy for Chanel?

It is very important, from every point of view. Half of our clothing and accessories production is made in Italy, in small factories or laboratories scattered throughout the regions and to which we have relationships that often span over twenty years. I arrived in 1990 and some of these partnerships already existed and have been strengthened ever since. Many shoes, bags, knitwear and part of the prĂȘt-Ă -porter and denimwear are made in Italy: in Italy you also have a great know-how in the field of jeans.'

If any of the small factories of which he speaks is in Prato, the clothes are made by Chinese factory workers.

Actually, although not Chanel or other couture, you can get very fine clothing, eg cashmere items, in Italian street markets. Some of it is factory over-runs, and some likely fell off the back of a truck.

- R135, R137, in Italy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142December 10, 2022 6:41 AM

Also from the article,

'We already sell some products, such as eyewear (under license from Luxottica, ed )'.

Luxottica makes just about all the high end brands of eyewear.

R135, R137

by Anonymousreply 143December 10, 2022 6:53 AM

Eyewear are accessories, r143, not clothing, and they are not made by Chinese in Prato.

by Anonymousreply 144December 10, 2022 7:22 AM

I like Chanel. She wears so well. As time will tell, her clothes are a saga!

by Anonymousreply 145December 10, 2022 7:51 AM

Yes, I know, R144. My point is that whether people buy a cheap no-name brand or a high end brand of sunglasses, they were almost certainly made by the same factory, Luxottica.

Below is a comprehensive article about the Chinese workers in Tuscany, and here is a quote from it.

'A third Chinese proprietor, whom I’ll call Luigi, estimated that more than a hundred Chinese-owned workshops in Tuscany were assembling bags for the famous fashion houses. Each of these workshops, in turn, used five to ten subcontractors for tasks like stitching straps and finishing hardware. All the proprietors I met with spoke adequate Italian, but Luigi’s was truly fluent. He said that his operation had filled orders from ChloĂ©, Burberry, Fendi, Balenciaga, Saint Laurent, and Chanel. “On the level of craftsmanship, Chanel is the top,” he said, using the English word. “They’re the fussiest about the quality.” '

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146December 10, 2022 8:31 AM

I remain sceptical about whether Luigi's workshop makes Chanel bags, r146.

If you're really worried about whether your Chanel bag was made in France or Italy, then just check if there's a stamp on the CC logo. If there is, then it was made in France. Chanel now authenticates its bags with a microchip, so no need to worry that yours might be a knockoff.

Chanel also produces some of its knitwear in Scotland, by artisan workshops. Coco Chanel was inspired by Scottish tweed, so it's apt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147December 10, 2022 9:23 AM

R146, the sentence that comes straight after the passage you quoted is:

[quote]Working for a company like Fendi wasn’t easy for a Chinese person, he went on. You had to “acquire an Italian mentality” and “conceive of the bag as an Italian would.”

I'm not sure how much involvement Karl Lagerfeld had in handbag production, but as well as being Chanel's designer he was also Fendi's designer. Producing these bags is not easy to outsource.

by Anonymousreply 148December 10, 2022 9:25 AM

From a recent interview with Bruno Pavlovsky, head of fashion at Chanel. The article is entitled "Chanel’s Bruno Pavlovsky on Business in Italy, Preserving Supply Chain, Craftsmanship".

[quote]Chanel has a history of taking control of its suppliers and it has done so in Italy for years. Since the acquisition of Italian shoe manufacturer Roveda in 1999, Chanel has acquired eight more companies in Italy specializing in footwear, leather goods, tanning and textiles and the company paid tribute to four of those producers with a short video. In addition to Roveda, Chanel controls Gensi, acquired in 2015; Nillab, acquired in 2020; leather goods manufacturers Corti and Mab, acquired in 2019; Tanneries Samanta, acquired in 2019; Gaiera, acquired in 2020; fancy yarn company Vimar, acquired in 2020, and knitwear manufacturer Paima, bought in 2021.

[quote]“The manufacturers are our partners, we work together and I strongly believe they need to have their own business model and be free to work with other brands and not take risks,” said Pavlovsky speaking with WWD ahead of the show at the Stazione Leopolda. “We must prepare for the next 20 years. We don’t want to control everything, what we need is to have the best talent.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149December 10, 2022 9:33 AM

I was living in paris with my parents when I was a teenager. The chic parisiettes, daughters of the upper class, would laugh at the idea of wearing Chanel, Vuitton, etc. It was considered tourist trap tacky, faux-pas. They would wear their grand-mamans Chanel bag/ Carré Hermes / furs, for costume balls and such, as a jest. They had hot trendy pet designers MAKING clothes especially for them

by Anonymousreply 150December 10, 2022 9:36 AM

R150, meet r141.

by Anonymousreply 151December 10, 2022 9:38 AM

I'm posting it again because you don't seem to get it. Chic Parisians think that these "luxury " brands are tacky AF. They still have their clothes tailored for them by real tailors, they don't buy retail

by Anonymousreply 152December 10, 2022 9:48 AM

I can't work out what your agenda is, R147. It seems it is unbearable to you that non-European hands might have touched or assembled your Chanel items. It is the quality of the finished product that counts, in my view. I can understand not wanting to own items that were produced by exploiting vulnerable workers in sweatshops, however.

by Anonymousreply 153December 10, 2022 9:50 AM

buyind these brands labels you for parisians. Tacky tourist. Is that what you want to be seen as ?

by Anonymousreply 154December 10, 2022 9:54 AM

Lol, what are you on about r153? How is pointing out how Chanel products are actually made racist? Many of the ateliers in Paris employ craftswomen of North African and even Sub-Saharan African background and I've even seen an Asian craftswoman. It's wonderful that skilled artisans of all national and ethnic backgrounds are able to keep these important handicrafts going. What you're trying to claim is that Chanel bags are knockoffs made by barely legal Chinese immigrants in Prato workshops (although you don't seem to have understood the implications of what you're saying).

by Anonymousreply 155December 10, 2022 11:10 AM

R153, you might think that you're in the know and are privy to the great secrets of the truly chic, but that only makes you the tacky one.

by Anonymousreply 156December 10, 2022 11:14 AM

The perfumes are not that expensive and unlike Dior they are not made for masses (right now most of designer perfums smell the same with a few exceptions, Chanel and Hermes)

by Anonymousreply 157December 10, 2022 11:21 AM

Meh. Valérie Picavet (wife of Gérard Wertheimer, Chanel co-owner) invites me to parties and plenty of her crowd wear name brand luxury designers in a mix with the latest names/brands.

by Anonymousreply 158December 10, 2022 11:22 AM

R150, they were wearing their grandmother’s vintage Chanel while simultaneously laughing about Chanel and calling it touristy? Downy make much sense.

There’s a difference between buying a quality hand crafted designer item that will last all your life and wearing designer logos from top to bottom like a race car driver.

My mother has some very nice vintage Chanel bags, that were excellent quality and a lasting investment. Last year she purchased another Chanel bag and had to return it, because the stitching started fraying after a few uses. The quality is not what it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 159December 10, 2022 11:34 AM

I never mentioned racism, R155. You seem unwilling to accept that

1.) 50% of Chanel products are made in Italy,

2.) a large number of garment and accessory factory workers in Italy are Chinese, legal and illegal, and

3.) the goods they produce are contracted by Chanel so they are not knock-offs.

Why is that?

by Anonymousreply 160December 10, 2022 11:43 AM

Chanel clothes are too hard to get stains out of.

by Anonymousreply 161December 10, 2022 12:32 PM

I am as appalled by the designer bag collectors as R36, and for the same reasons, but with the additional one that every time I change handbags I end up leaving something essential (eye glasses, transport card, etc) in the wrong one.

If I had 30 handbags I think my life would fall apart. But of course, I'd deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 162December 10, 2022 12:34 PM

Moy lad Jack buoys me a new release desoighnah piece evray toime he lets annoovah blowke coom in him raw. Sow oi’ve got loike hoondreds already from joost this sayzon.

Oi want a ring next, thow. If Jack has annoovah sling sesh, then oi’ll cry abowt it until he takes me to a doymand moine.

Between yow and me—oi ackchullay down’t moind him fucking oothah men at all. Keeps him out moy hair and off moy case, so oi can go owt with the girls, or off wiv any guy oi loike. Owah relieshunship reallay works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163December 10, 2022 12:42 PM

R162 a gentleman only needs a day bad and an evening bag. Simplify your life, good sir.

by Anonymousreply 164December 10, 2022 12:43 PM

[quote] I was living in paris with my parents when I was a teenager. The chic parisiettes, daughters of the upper class, would laugh at the idea of wearing Chanel, Vuitton, etc. It was considered tourist trap tacky, faux-pas. They would wear their grand-mamans Chanel bag/ Carré Hermes / furs, for costume balls and such, as a jest. They had hot trendy pet designers MAKING clothes especially for them

I find this hard to believe. Surely these hot trendy pet designers you speak of can't afford to charge Chanel prices.

by Anonymousreply 165December 10, 2022 3:36 PM

[quote] I was living in paris with my parents when I was a teenager. The chic parisiettes, daughters of the upper class, would laugh at the idea of wearing Chanel, Vuitton, etc. It was considered tourist trap tacky, faux-pas. They would wear their grand-mamans Chanel bag/ Carré Hermes / furs, for costume balls and such, as a jest. They had hot trendy pet designers MAKING clothes especially for them

Also, I hate to be ageist, because I'm old, too, but what year was this? Furs, costume "balls," "pet designers" making clothes "chic parisiettes"?

by Anonymousreply 166December 10, 2022 4:18 PM

For the Chanel fragrance buyers, which fragrance are you purchasing? IMO, No. 5 smells awful

by Anonymousreply 167December 10, 2022 4:53 PM

[quote]The clothes in H&M and Marks and Spencers is way cheaper and looks pretty much the same quality.

H&M clothes are extremely cheaply made. In no way are they anything near the same quality. Marks and Sparks is a higher-quality brand. I've never been there. I assume that Chanel is still better.

Who shops there? Rich people. People into labels. People who like the classic Chanel jacket.

by Anonymousreply 168December 10, 2022 5:11 PM

R166

They sound like young snobs who made fun of people who had to buy their designer clothes instead of inheriting them. HermÚs Carrés are the colorful silk twill square scarves for which the brand is famous. "Carré" means square.

The supposedly in-the-know person you quoted didn't even get the accents right.

by Anonymousreply 169December 10, 2022 5:20 PM

Parisiettes is not a French word. I assume someone upthread is cosplaying Nomi Malone in Paris for shits and giggles.

by Anonymousreply 170December 10, 2022 5:25 PM

R160 Let's not exaggerate.

About Prato: among the Chinese workrooms, there are high end Italian labs that have been there for decades still producing the finest workmanship.

The Chinese workrooms are owned and run by the Chinese. Italians rarely hire Chinese workers (for a myriad of reasons). The Chinese workrooms make low cost fast fashion, a lot is exported to China.

There are continual raids in Prato for illegal Chinese workers and for the counterfeit goods often made there.

High-end labels do not want to be involved in scandals or have negative press in any way. They have reputations that must be maintained.

I have an Armani Exchange polo shirt labeled "Made in Cambodia". They are truthful about where their stuff is made. They have to be. On the other hand, the Giorgio Armani line is labeled "Made in Italy" , it sure isn't made in Prato in Chinese sweatshops.

In my years working in Italy (high end fashion, bedding, furniture) I've never encountered Chinese workers.

by Anonymousreply 171December 10, 2022 5:32 PM

[quote]For the Chanel fragrance buyers, which fragrance are you purchasing? IMO, No. 5 smells awful

It's doubtless been bowdlerised like all the other classic scents by IFRA, which has been progressively banning all kinds of substances used in fragrances up to the 80s or 90s. Nearly every fragrance which has continued through that period, or been re-released, now has chemicals that try to simulate these banned substances but fail.

by Anonymousreply 172December 11, 2022 11:36 AM

R172 this is mostly true but a few certain classics got attention in the reformulations and they came out OK if not fabulous. Its a good idea to buy fragrances that are conceived new based on the newest molecules. They can smell great but they have very little relation to the old conceptions of fragrance. Dior Sauvage would be an example of a successful fragrance created with new molecules. Of the sweet intoxicating hits by Paco Rabanne. There are perfumers who made most of their careers with the new molecules and there are talented ones who know how to build a good fragrance with them. Nathalie Lorson is one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173December 11, 2022 3:51 PM

Even the old ('80s and '90s) No. 5 smelled awful, though, IMO. Smelled grandma-ish. I did like Cristalle, though.

by Anonymousreply 174December 11, 2022 4:26 PM

There are still designer clothes/bags that are beautiful quality. I’ve bought a few bags and a fewer pieces of designer clothing in classic styles over the years (bags always second hand) and they just don’t wear out / get damaged like the regular stuff out there - depending on the designer brand.

You can see it in the stitching, the feel, weight and durability of the fabric. If I can find a style that will still look decent after a number of years and the price feels okay, and it seems like a special piece (to me) that I will enjoy for a long time, I have made the occasional purchases and not regretted them. That being said, an hermes Kelly bag or similar is out of my reach. I also am a little conservative in that I think too much of this stuff makes you look silly. But I feel like that about expensive flashy cars etc too and wouldn’t buy one if I could.

I’ve noticed that, as far as I have read through at least, no one has mentioned designer watches. Chanel has some at laughable prices. If in the market for a designer watch, it would be a classic watch brand known for quality and probably second hand at some of these estate jewelry places that are in most major cities. Cartier has some classic styles. I’d never go for diamonds and bling personally, but watches have a whole collector market that people with money seem to have a lot of fun with. Whatever floats your boat I guess with this stuff.

I don’t have a Chanel purse but I have heard they hold their value and in some cases appreciate in value on the second hand market. Some people justify it as an “investment” even though they’d never part with it.

by Anonymousreply 175December 11, 2022 6:21 PM

Ferragamo is supposed to be a nice, underrated brand.

I have a super-old leather Coach card case (with a flap). I've had it since people had full-sized wallets. Now, most people just use card cases, like I do.

I also have a couple of leather Furla (Italy) bags. IIRC, they were in the $200-300 range, which is reasonable, considering the quality and that they were made in Italy.

Many years ago, in France, I bought a small Louis Vuitton bag, as a souvenir for myself. Also, the price was lower than in the US. It was actually made in Italy or Spain. The price of that bag is now close to $1,000, I think. (I paid around $200, IIRC). I ended up giving it to a friend b/c I didn't use it that much.

by Anonymousreply 176December 11, 2022 6:29 PM

I have an old LV speedy bag from many years ago that really wanted I saved for after getting my first promotion in my career. I don’t wear it much anymore as I feel like LV bags later became associated with tacky / flash or I think what the Brits call “chav.”. They went through a period too where there was so much counterfeiting that it wrecked their image for a while. .

After I bought it, an old friend who was very into the latest of everything and had a wealthy husband to support her shopping habit, referred to it as a “great starter purse”. And suggested what I should be aiming for “next.”. That sort of got to me because I realized as much as I love some designer bags for quality and classic styles, there are always people who will sneer at whatever you have invested in and love.

Over time, my LV developed this lovely patina and looks like it’s generations old while still somehow being in great condition. I do love it. Maybe I should start using it again now that I think about it. I guess my point is that unless you just love something and don’t care what others think, or you are very wealthy, it becomes such a racket, even for high quality stuff, to have the very latest style and newest exclusive release etc. It’s a fool’s game unless you’re filthy rich.

by Anonymousreply 177December 11, 2022 7:10 PM

Chanel Allure sport for men is a very easy fragrance to wear. not offensive.

Chanel Bleu is also very good. I get many compliments when I wear this.

Chanel Chance (the green bottle) is very popular, i bought this for my friend and she gets many compliments.

by Anonymousreply 178December 12, 2022 7:15 AM

If you want to see how haute couture can fail, just look at Meghan Markle's public appearances when she was a working royal. Dresses longer than her coat, visible underwear, back fat bulging over the top of ballgowns, a wedding dress that looked like a flour sack, a hat that looked like fresh dog shit, and more, all very expensive. Whereas Queen Letizia of Spain promotes her country's fashion industry by wearing High Street brands like Zara, Mango and Massimo Dutti, and always looks incredible. PoW Kate also manages to look immaculately dressed in High Street outfits, especially as she is fastidious about having them tailored to fit her. But you will never see her in shredded jeans.

by Anonymousreply 179December 24, 2022 1:17 PM

Just go to Chinatown in NYC and buy a knockoff.

I had a friend who worked in the counterfeit investigation division of Chanel. She said that some knockoffs were so good that even Chanel couldn’t tell. The only way it would know is when it compared the knockoff to the specific numbers each true Chanel bag was given and it wasn’t there

by Anonymousreply 180December 24, 2022 1:42 PM

[quote] I’d never go for diamonds and bling personally, but watches have a whole collector market that people with money seem to have a lot of fun with. Whatever floats your boat I guess with this stuff.

Lately I have been fascinated and piqued by dodgy London watch traders to the stars, Trotters Jewellers. Absolute chancers and wide boys, they are, but I can’t stop watching (hah). Some of their deals are ridiculous, and the mugs who pay for it aren’t unbelievably stupid (and rich).

And I don’t even wear or like timepieces, so it is completely bizarre that I find this so entertaining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181December 24, 2022 1:49 PM

R179

What you described is not "Haute Couture." Real HC is made specially for the client. It fits perfectly and in a manner that flatters.

by Anonymousreply 182December 26, 2022 4:24 PM

Not Jen Shah

by Anonymousreply 183December 26, 2022 4:27 PM

My boss has 3 Michael Kors purses. Someone decided we needed to get her the wallet that matches her black purse. That thing! Just a wallet for checks and cash and credit cards, was $200 before taxes. Luckily there were 4 of us. That price, over $200 with tax, is insane to me, for a wallet.

by Anonymousreply 184December 26, 2022 4:30 PM

It's paid advertising. Stuff he got was for free or at steep discount

by Anonymousreply 185December 26, 2022 4:35 PM

[quote] My boss has 3 Michael Kors purses.

Michael Kors is actually kind of low-brow, IMO. It's not on the same level as Chanel. Coach is actually more respected than Michael Kors.

by Anonymousreply 186December 27, 2022 9:01 PM

Low brow? Fashion is an intellectual pursuit?

by Anonymousreply 187December 27, 2022 9:07 PM

I agree with other posters. The only people I see with Chanel are Asian, Hispanic and Middle Eastern women are old white women.

by Anonymousreply 188December 27, 2022 9:10 PM

whores always buy chanel.

by Anonymousreply 189December 28, 2022 8:52 AM

Since the reformulations of Chanel fragrances replaced certain animal-based ingredients like civet and musk with synthetics, they quality of those have dropped too. The reformulations make me sneeze.

by Anonymousreply 190December 28, 2022 10:04 AM

Chanel is for escorts and whores!

by Anonymousreply 191December 29, 2022 12:10 AM

Princess Diana

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192December 29, 2022 12:42 AM

Princess Diana has a Chanel bag named after her - the Chanel Diana flap bag. It’s slightly different than the classic flap, featuring a border around the quilting. She wore it frequently in the mid-90s.

She also has an iconic Dior bag named after her (the Lady Dior), as well as a Gucci tote with bamboo handles (the Gucci Diana).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193December 29, 2022 1:13 AM

R68: "How could I buy a real Chanel with all the hunger in the world?!" Spoken by Agrado (Antonia San Juan) in "All About My Mother". Back in the day, (early 2000's, I had a bottle of, "Egoiste" by Chanel.

by Anonymousreply 194December 29, 2022 2:06 AM

Diana wore the hell out of Chanel in the 90s r51.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195December 29, 2022 2:49 AM

[quote]Who actually buys Chanel clothes, bags and perfumes?

Asians.

by Anonymousreply 196December 29, 2022 2:57 AM

[quote]Who actually buys Chanel clothes, bags and perfumes?

Aunt Helen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197December 29, 2022 3:07 AM

The very rich live very different lives. We can never understand it or have it. No need to worry our heads about it.

by Anonymousreply 198December 29, 2022 3:08 AM

Diana did wear Chanel, R195. I have a hard time believing that only trashy, nouveau riche people or old ladies like this brand. However, I did read online that Diana avoided Chanel after she found out that Charles was cheating with Camilla because the brand's logo reminded her of their initials, as R51 said. Maybe it's true.

by Anonymousreply 199December 29, 2022 5:58 AM

Not crazy about the long navy blue jacket and black skirt. The proportions don't suit her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200December 29, 2022 6:02 AM

The Chanel suits (women’s) were popular in the ‘80s. Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 201December 29, 2022 6:06 AM

Are the British royals nouveau riche or trash or both? Asking for a friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202December 29, 2022 6:11 AM

Love that color combination on Kate, but hate those pants.

by Anonymousreply 203December 29, 2022 6:21 AM

Pity about the Chanel and the Nazi agent business though... Pity about the her hating jews thing as well.

Also - this is what she thought about us:

[italic]"Homosexuals? ... I have seen young women ruined by these awful queers: drugs, divorce, scandal. They will use any means to destroy a competitor and to wreak vengeance on a woman. The queers want to be women—but they are lousy women. They are charming![8]: 41 ".[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204December 29, 2022 6:29 AM

True, R203. The pants look silly.

Some of the Chanel outfits at R202 are underwhelming but I do like this look on Kate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205December 29, 2022 6:52 AM

Do you know how much antisemitism there was in the West prior to WWII, R204? I don't think you do.

by Anonymousreply 206December 29, 2022 7:09 AM

I wear Egoiste, Chanel Pour Homme and No 19.

by Anonymousreply 207December 29, 2022 8:22 AM

R80 Have to agree with your opinion of Birkin bags. They are not only ugly, but they are also so heavy that they become uncomfortable to carry around. I'll stick to my little basket.

by Anonymousreply 208December 29, 2022 10:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!