Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Judith Light’s The Menu is a delicious romp through today’s culinary scene

From the writers and director of Succession, get a peek into the fine dining lives of the elite rich and famous. Meticulously crafted, brilliantly executed, The Menu is the ultimate foodie cinematic experience masterpiece. The food is glorious on screen, you can almost taste it or wish you could, especially that dessert. You’d want to lick the screen. 👅 No need to take pictures as the seven courses are presented flawlessly in IMAX, with each playful ingredient listed out and paired with the perfect wine.

Ralph Fiennes turns in a flawless performance as the executive chef who strives for nothing less of perfection. Other notable performances include Nicholas Hulk as the ultimate Instagram foodie, Laurie Metcalf as the premier food critic, Judith Light as the restaurant regular, Anna Taylor-Joy as the hooker with a heart of gold, and John Leguizamo as Steven Seagal. Will Ferrell has done it again. 3 Michelin stars ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 12, 2023 6:13 AM

OK that trailer got me. I want to see this.

by Anonymousreply 1November 30, 2022 7:15 AM

Hmm I was with it at the start of the trailer, but it looks like it gets a bit silly. Seems like he's trying to do a Yorgos Lanthimos film (it looks similar to the Lobster in terms of the staging). I'll watch Janet McTeer in anything though, and it's good to see Hong Chau getting so much work lately.

by Anonymousreply 2November 30, 2022 7:55 AM

So cannibalism?

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2022 1:22 AM

It’s slight, but it’s a lot of fun. It’s been a great year for “fuck the rich” satires, between this, Triangle of Sadness and Glass Onion.

Ralph Fiennes can even make the phrase Taco Tuesday sound menacing.

by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2022 1:30 AM

I loved the deconstructed Taco Tuesday dish made with chicken thighs and handmade heirloom ancient grain masa tor-tee-yas. Looked so good. Truly Taco Tuesday elevated. I wish this restaurant was real so I could eat in it and experience what they’re eating. They should do a tie-in like how Universal Studios serves real Butter Beer from Harry Potter.

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2022 1:37 AM

I read for this, but I got “Nope.”

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2022 1:42 AM

I want Ralph in my so deeply it hurts.

I love his balding, menacing daddy look.

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2022 3:05 AM

Ralph Fiennes is a pretentious git irl but he's one of the finest actors of his generation. He shits all over hamballs like Leo and Spacey.

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2022 8:48 AM

I hate movies about eating dinner.

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2022 10:25 AM

This movie sucks ass. Lousy stupid script, boring direction, think it's clever social satire. Typical Hollywood crap.

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2022 11:18 AM

Laurie Metcalf? Uh, duh—Janet McTeer. Judith Light and Reed Birney have just a few lines, but their facial expressions say it all. Nick Hoult plays a dolt foodie, but I find him sexy. Anya going toe-to-tie with Chef and his #2 is fun stuff. Fiennes is like a very mad Willie Wonka ;)

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2022 11:25 AM

Saw it last night. Scathingly funny. Well acted. Highly recommend.

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2022 12:34 PM

The scene where each table discovers their own, special, tortillas as priceless. Those three dudes where great at playing finance douche bros..spot on.

by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2022 1:18 PM

I agree r13 — actually I cackled malevolently through the entire movie.

Love Fiennes and adore ATJ.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2022 10:06 PM

What do you mean "Judith Light’s The Menu," OP? She's like tenth on the call sheet and in the trailer for a total of two seconds. What are we missing?

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2022 10:53 PM

It's wonderful. I laughed a lot and really enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2022 11:43 PM

I just watched this. I enjoyed the first 45 minutes or so and didn't hate it overall, but just found it stupid. Yeah, I know it's a dark comedy in part, but still.

by Anonymousreply 17January 25, 2023 10:49 PM

It’s 8 out of 10 via today’s post-Covid 19 filmmaking standards. Possibly a 9 largely due to the attention to casting. But it’s closer to a 6 by former standards. It’s highly mechanical.

by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2023 12:10 AM

Maybe the teaser/trailer/promo is overproduced. It looks like Triangle of Sadness. I think they’re sending SAG screeners for it this year, so I will watch it that way. I probably would not seek it out and pay to see it otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2023 5:01 AM

i was just so happy there was no cannibalism. A movie like this is rare--"horror" with no supernatural elements, no gross out stuff, just slow reveals, rising tension and a few twists. '

by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2023 5:43 AM

r20 I was expecting something cannibalistic, along the lines of that old "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" or "One Step Beyond"(or whatever series it was. Anyone remember?) wherein the protagonist was trying like mad to be allowed to join a very exclusive restaurant ***SPOILER*** only to become the entree of the evening.

by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2023 7:10 PM

I’ll agree that Judith Light contributed lightly to this movie, so to call it “hers” is weird.

But her best contribution, IMO, is the scene where she’s thanking the chef as her chocolate “crown” is melting during the dessert course.

by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2023 7:38 PM

Bread is plebeian. "No bread for you."

by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2023 7:54 PM

Mark St. Cyr had a small role in this. I find him very cute.

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2023 7:55 PM

[quote] Ralph Fiennes is a pretentious git irl but he's one of the finest actors of his generation. He shits all over hamballs like Leo and Spacey.

How vivid...

by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2023 3:36 AM

r22 Her final line is actually my favorite moment in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2023 3:51 AM

I wanted Elsa to kill everyone, including her colleagues.

by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2023 3:53 AM

Who were Elsa’s colleagues? Fellow hookers back at Tribeca?

by Anonymousreply 28January 29, 2023 6:22 AM

That was Laurie Metcalf?! I knew I recognized her face but did not make that connection. She was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 29January 29, 2023 8:45 AM

"Who were Elsa’s colleagues? Fellow hookers back at Tribeca?"

Elsa was the Asian concierge/hostess woman who tried to stab the hooker. I wanted Elsa to kill everyone, including her colleagues that worked at the restaurant, even Chef.

by Anonymousreply 30January 29, 2023 3:34 PM

R29 It was not. It was Janet McTeer, she of the stage and, memorably, Ozark.

by Anonymousreply 31January 30, 2023 11:53 AM

Anna Taylor-Joy is fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 32January 30, 2023 1:05 PM

r13 is spot on.

Judith Light has a minor role, but as always, is brilliant.

The Asian actress who played the lead deserves an Oscar.

I'm easily disturbed and manipulated by movies, and this was no exception. Was also expecting cannibalism. Don't recall if that happened. But you expect it throughout. Tension. It was well done, pardon the pun. Only watched it because my long distance partner was visiting and he loves movies. I think he made me watch cartoons or RuPaul or something to neutralize it later. Yeah, I know...Oh, Mary! He seems to enjoy when I grip him like an Octopus in bed at night after watching a thriller, even if it's just a dark comedy.

by Anonymousreply 33January 30, 2023 1:12 PM

The food looked like shit. Margot was right.

by Anonymousreply 34January 30, 2023 1:17 PM

Except the cheeseburger. That looked good.

by Anonymousreply 35January 30, 2023 3:18 PM

Anna Taylor-Joy resembles a character in "Avatar" but without the blue makeup.

by Anonymousreply 36January 30, 2023 3:21 PM

Exactly R35.

by Anonymousreply 37January 30, 2023 3:25 PM

albanians are aliens! duh.

by Anonymousreply 38January 30, 2023 3:29 PM

^^^^ "Al-ba-ni-a.... Al-ba-ni-a.... you bor-der on the A-dri-at-ic....."

by Anonymousreply 39January 30, 2023 7:49 PM

The actor who played Jaime on Broad City was in it - part of the investment trio who were eating together. It took me a while to place him.

by Anonymousreply 40January 31, 2023 12:54 AM

QUIT trying to make Judith Licked re-happen!

by Anonymousreply 41January 31, 2023 12:56 AM

I'd pay to watch Ralph Fiennes read a menu.

by Anonymousreply 42January 31, 2023 1:13 AM

I agree about Judith Light. She had the most sympathetic role in the entire film and that 'go' gesture she made was so sad.

by Anonymousreply 43January 31, 2023 2:30 AM

I will fight for the right to defend the honor of Judith Light! BTW - don't forget that she was an early and fervent defender of The Gays. And seems like a lovely person. I wonder if her closest friends call her "Judy," "Judith," or "Jude"? Or just "J-Gurl"?

Am going to look for YouTube interviews with her, and you can't stop me because it's still not my bedtime yet.

by Anonymousreply 44January 31, 2023 3:32 AM

Loved that you called this Judith's movie, OP.

by Anonymousreply 45January 31, 2023 9:47 AM

I really liked the first half of the film but the second half was weak. Judith Light was great as a long-suffering wife as I always think of her as playing strong woman characters (Who's the Boss is etched in my Gen X brain).

Anya Taylor Joy as clearly had the on-trend buccal fat removal and now looks bizarre. Ralph Fiennes played his character well, but his accent was all over the place. I wasn't ever quite sure if he was trying to do an American accent or what the heck he was doing.

by Anonymousreply 46January 31, 2023 10:56 AM

I just rented this....it would have been a cute 30 minute episode for "Tales From The Darkside" but at an hour and 45 minutes it was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 47April 2, 2023 6:42 AM

I just saw Shakespeare’s Globe new dual-theater production of The Winter’s Tale in which Acts 1-3 were inspired by this film and liberally sampled it (ha!), so on the plane back finally got around to watching it and I did enjoy it. It’s a lot more gory and terrifying than I assume many who expect something assumedly lighter would like, but I thought it was expertly done. Nicholas Hault was the standout for me, in a very tricky role (he would have been so easy to immediately hate, but he pulled it off). Anna was good, but the plastic surgery combined with the exquisite cinematography by the great Peter Deming makes her look alien-like which was clearly intentional given her character and their plight. The Hostess was superb, as well. Ralph Fiennes was good but could have done more with the role, it felt very Red Dragon redux combined with poor American accent work. The twists were unexpected for the large part, though I assume many turn it off after the first 45 minutes (as I saw many do on my flight to/from London), for obvious reasons. Lastly, Judith Light is forever a gem and I’m so excited to see her in anything she does - one of our great actresses and biggest LGBT allies. Definitely a pleasant (?) way to pass a few hours on an international flight…. and, I’ll never look at s’mores the same way again.

by Anonymousreply 48April 12, 2023 6:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!