Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you write cursive?

Is cursive now exclusively an Eldergay skill?

by Anonymousreply 62December 1, 2022 2:57 PM

It was required of us in junior high school, as soon as I entered high school itself I dropped it like a hot potato.

by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2022 12:19 AM

We learned how to write in cursive in the third grade. The teachers were meticulous. I remember writing the letter "G" 100 times in a row.

We spent three weeks (two hours each afternoon) learning. Afterward, we were expected to write in cursive exclusively. Nothing could be turned in to the teachers with print writing on it.

The teachers wouldn't recognize my writing now. Sometimes my family doesn't either....

by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2022 12:49 AM

I write in cursive. A lot of younger people don't, so I guess its becoming an lost art.

by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2022 12:56 AM

A while ago OP, I bought up this very subject because I saw some bullshit Buzzfeed article about how Gen Z didn't know cursive.

I asked "how do you sign a check/document"? Yes I realize checks are a rare thing these days, but we all sign driver licenses, tax documents, loans, etc. and most responses (from younger posters) was that they blocked printed their names.

I was kind of horrified but ... how often are signatures verified these days?

I think it is kind of tacky to print you name like a five year old on a legal document, but I'm clearly in the minority (and I'm not that old - early 40's);.

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2022 12:57 AM

I write in cursesive, you buggering bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2022 1:05 AM

A signature on a check (and virtually every contract) isn't your 'name' really, it is legally a 'mark' that (ideally) can only be reproduced by yourself. Whether it is legible or not has nothing whatsoever to do if the check is negotiable or not, another common misconception. For example, my brother has this really remarkable signature that consists of dozens of mostly vertical lines- and yet he can reproduce it perfectly the exact same way every time. That is the ideal signature, because it is very difficult forge.

by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2022 1:05 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2022 1:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2022 1:15 AM

r7 Well, that's annoying. was supposed to link to subject:"Penmanship" sorted by texts from date published oldest to newest.

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2022 1:18 AM

Why yes. I still use the Palmer method every day. Sometimes twice.

by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2022 1:28 AM

A few months ago, I attended my cousin's daughter's 10th birthday party. When she was opening gifts, she got to my present, opened the card inside and looked puzzled. When her mom asked who it was from, she replied, "I don't know. It's in cursive!" Me culpa. I never gave it much thought, but wow, it really is a lost art. We learned cursive in the 3rd or 4th grade, and I continue to write in cursive because it is so much faster than print/block lettering.

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2022 2:55 AM

It’s a lost art.

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2022 2:15 PM

My only artistic talent is my handwriting, on which I frequently receive compliments. Thank you, Mrs. Burns! (My fourth grade teacher.)

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2022 2:47 PM

R4 Signatures are wild scribbles, not cursive.

I’m saying this because the Gen Z kids I work with all violently scribble their names like old people because they know that’s what a signature should look like.

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2022 2:49 PM

Touch screen has destroyed the art of signatures.

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2022 2:50 PM

[quote] how often are signatures verified these days?

Your signature is whatever you adopt. You can write X and adopt that as your signature, although it wouldn't be wise as it's easy to forge.

by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2022 2:54 PM

Here's a list of states that require cursive writing classes in school. Lots of southern states, including Florida.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2022 2:59 PM

I can do it...it's like riding a bike...but I write neater when I print. I used to have a kick ass hybrid print/cursive thing going on when I was younger but abandoned that for whatever reason. I print in all caps now, like my dad.

by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2022 3:07 PM

Very pretentious all letters from the decayed aunts and uncles go right to the bin. Sorry I can’t read this ancient language!

by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2022 3:09 PM

R4 Does a check need to be signed in cursive?

by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2022 3:13 PM

My mother’s handwriting is exquisite without being flourish-y and looks so much like her mother’s handwriting, it’s difficult to tell them apart.

Whenever I’d receive a card from either one, I’d feel special.

by Anonymousreply 21November 29, 2022 3:18 PM

i prefer print bc it gives me breaks between each letter

with cursive, you have 2 link every letter, so no break and dull hand

by Anonymousreply 22November 29, 2022 3:29 PM

The only things I use cursive for are cheques or contracts. If I have to write something, such as a note or a brief letter, I use block letters/print because I deal with people who may not be familiar with English cursive and therefore may find it difficult to read. But 99.9% of the time, I type, just like everyone else.

Weird/fun fact: My late mum and I had identical cursive writing. Impossible to tell apart.

by Anonymousreply 23November 29, 2022 3:30 PM

Can't you use print on check or contracts? Is that an American thing?

by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2022 3:31 PM

Can one completely change their handwriting later in life (late 30s)? I don't like mine.

by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2022 3:33 PM

What about the forms where both a signature and printed name are required?

by Anonymousreply 26November 29, 2022 3:34 PM

What are these forms everyone talking about? I signed my name in printed on all the documents/checks.

by Anonymousreply 27November 29, 2022 3:38 PM

[quote]I signed my name in printed on all the documents/checks.

sad

by Anonymousreply 28November 29, 2022 3:44 PM

R28 Why?

by Anonymousreply 29November 29, 2022 3:45 PM

I still write in cursive. I love it. I was taught by nuns in Catholic school. Everyone always comments that the can tell I went to Catholic school when they see my handwriting.

by Anonymousreply 30November 29, 2022 3:56 PM

Happy to report they taught us how to write cursive in STA when I was a student in the late 2000s. I believe they still teach the Zaner-Bloser method up there.

by Anonymousreply 31November 29, 2022 3:58 PM

I write a mixture of print and cursive because I have a hard time connecting all the letters on longer words. I have to stop somewhere in the middle. My mom said you're supposed to move your whole arm when you write. I only move my hand.

by Anonymousreply 32November 29, 2022 4:04 PM

r32 = lazy bottom pillow princess

by Anonymousreply 33November 29, 2022 4:07 PM

We all learned print first and then immediately after we learned cursive. One thing we were told was that the small cursive s had to be curved enough on the right side that fairies could slide down it.

Did cursive make me gay?

by Anonymousreply 34November 29, 2022 4:16 PM

R32 Yes, especially if you're writing with fountain pens.

It's the same logic as drawing/painting with your arm as to not injure your wrist.

by Anonymousreply 35November 29, 2022 4:18 PM

Yeah, I don’t get the whole write with your whole arm thing. Half the time you’re writing on a tiny note pad.

Not learning cursive seems terribly regressive but it’s difficult to read something written in the 1800s and they had beautiful penmanship usually so it’s not that different.

by Anonymousreply 36November 29, 2022 4:19 PM

[quote] Very pretentious all letters from the decayed aunts and uncles go right to the bin. Sorry I can’t read this ancient language!

You can’t write it either r19

by Anonymousreply 37November 29, 2022 4:28 PM

I'm glad that I can, and sometimes do, write cursive. I wish they'd also taught sign language and a foreign language when I was in elementary school. Kids can learn anything.

by Anonymousreply 38November 29, 2022 4:43 PM

My Maddie writes in perfect cursive. You should see his signature.

by Anonymousreply 39November 29, 2022 4:50 PM

Regardless of how technologically we become, people should still know how to write cursive and print and understand the difference between the two styles from and early age in elementary school.

by Anonymousreply 40November 29, 2022 5:57 PM

Your signature is uniquely your own. We should know how to write in cursive as well as know how to print.

by Anonymousreply 41November 29, 2022 5:58 PM

No sign language, but we started French in 5th Grade, R38 (Nixon Administration).

Since I have pretty much stopped writing personal checks, I very rarely need to actually sign anything, so when I have to do so it's a bit of an effort. When I dropped off my ballot, I was slightly concerned that my signature might not be close enough that they'd ask me to come into the office to verify my identity.

by Anonymousreply 42November 29, 2022 6:12 PM

I still write checks in cursive. But even though I learned cursive young and had to use it I don't any longer because my handwriting was ugly. Now I write in block letters simply because it isn't as offensive. Better, not by much but better.

by Anonymousreply 43November 29, 2022 6:19 PM

I rarely write anything anymore but lists or notes for myself anymore. It's a mix of cursive and print. It's basically chicken scratch for me to read. When I sign a card I'll write a short note in cursive and concentrate on my penmanship, but otherwise I don't write anything anymore that's meant for other people. Why would I? My job doesn't require it and I'm not one for diaries or letter writing. It's not the 1850s for crying out loud.

by Anonymousreply 44November 29, 2022 6:23 PM

When you people say "write checks" do you mean the Pay to the Order of line? I've been using print there since check #001. Who cursives that?

by Anonymousreply 45November 29, 2022 6:29 PM

I still write the occasional check to get cash from my household account. I don't have a debit card for it. I always write in cursive because (a) I was taught to and (b) I like my handwriting and signature.

I take notes in cursive because it's quicker for me; same with my shopping list. I find printing to be time-consuming and often have trouble reading what I wrote.

For the person who said all letters have to be connected, that isn't always true. The first letters of my first, middle and last names are always separate. If I join them, it would look like a 5 year old wrote something down. My sister used to linked her letters. Even made the capital "A" in her name rounded like the lower case version. Her signature looked like a someone just learning how to write. It was embarrassing to see on her art work; she was really good at paining and drawing.

R45, I use cursive everyone on the check except the date.

A monogram would look terrible if it was in block letters, JMO.

by Anonymousreply 46November 29, 2022 8:11 PM

What's cursive?

by Anonymousreply 47November 29, 2022 8:51 PM

I don’t really write at all.

by Anonymousreply 48November 29, 2022 8:54 PM

R45 - the "Pay TO" line should always be printed in plainly block bold letters equally spaced. It is possible to change digits to a higher number, and change -or add- 'hundred' to 'thousand' in cursive. The FBI has a handy-dandy chart on how to do this that is distributed to banks.

by Anonymousreply 49November 29, 2022 10:59 PM

I don’t work in a bank R20, but I doubt it. Years ago (and I’m not that old) when I opened a checking account, I was told a bank … could compare a signature on a check to the one on file, if they suspected fraud.

I doubt that ever happened, but it was a good reason to use cursive vs . Block.

by Anonymousreply 50November 30, 2022 1:48 AM

I'm a lot like R18, right down to "printing in all caps like my dad" or as if I was an architect. It's clean and stylish, and the occasional compliment I get from it probably has a lot to do with the fact that I'm left handed. As in "He has such nice printing. And he's left-handed. wtf?"

On the flip side, my cursive is awful. It's like a third grader's, because that's about when I phased cursive out.

by Anonymousreply 51November 30, 2022 2:02 AM

I write it and speak it fluently.

by Anonymousreply 52November 30, 2022 5:49 AM

No, but I speak it fluently.

by Anonymousreply 53November 30, 2022 6:19 AM

Oh dear, silly me.

by Anonymousreply 54November 30, 2022 6:20 AM

Great minds and all that, R53.

by Anonymousreply 55December 1, 2022 6:50 AM

I consider people who can't read and write cursive illiterate.

by Anonymousreply 56December 1, 2022 7:01 AM

I have people who do my writing for me. So should you.

by Anonymousreply 57December 1, 2022 7:13 AM

[quote] Me culpa. I never gave it much thought, but wow, it really is a lost art.

Me culpa. Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 58December 1, 2022 7:47 AM

I can’t believe how dumbed down American children have become. Not learning cursive is as outrageous as claiming that math is racist. Jesus Christ, the US isn’t going to survive at this rate.

by Anonymousreply 59December 1, 2022 7:48 AM

[quote] On the flip side, my cursive is awful. It's like a third grader's, because that's about when I phased cursive out.

School shouldn’t have allowed that to happen.

by Anonymousreply 60December 1, 2022 7:49 AM

Americans won’t even be able to read their own historical documents anymore.

by Anonymousreply 61December 1, 2022 7:50 AM

Considering what the Federalists peddle, they already can’t.

by Anonymousreply 62December 1, 2022 2:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!