Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Indie drama "To Leslie" (2022) starring Andrea Riseborough and Marc Maron

Andre Royo and Allison Janney appear in supporting roles. I had never heard of it and randomly came across it on Amazon Prime; the trailer piqued my interest and I decided to rent it. It is a rough but beautiful homespun drama about an alcoholic living in and out of motels after squandering her lottery winnings. Very reminiscent of gritty '70s dramas ("Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" comes to mind). The performances are fantastic, especially from Riseborough—you'd never guess she were a Brit with the west Texas twang she gives in this. She truly deserves an Oscar nod, but the film was barely released and it seems almost nobody has even heard of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2023 5:31 PM

Hollywood stars are trying to get the word out about Andrea Riseborough's performance. TheY think she should be nominated for an Oscar.

Gwyneth Paltrow: "Andrea Riseborough should win every award there is and all the ones that haven't been invented yet."

Edward Norton: "It's about the most fully committed, emotionally deep, physically harrowing performance I've seen in a while. Her performance is just raw & utterly devoid of performative BS."

Sarah Paulson: "Andrea's performance affected me profoundly; achingly human and without vanity — and I do not mean 'vanity' in terms of appearance, I mean 'without awareness of how one is perceived or how one will be perceived' — just total embodiment."

In recent days, Jennifer Aniston, Charlize Theron, Edward Norton, Sarah Paulson, Gwyneth Paltrow and Courteney Cox have hosted screenings of the movie, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2023 4:53 PM

Clip from the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2023 4:59 PM

Ugh. No I'm already surrounded by trash like that

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2023 4:59 PM

This was a weird situation where the performance matched the hype. She really was that good. I would vote for her over Cate and Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2023 5:46 PM

Riseborough is indeed great in the film, which ultimately is quite powerful. Janney is really the only up to her level, no surprise.

Maron is undone by the dialect; still, his performance is unobtrusive. But he and Riseborough are not in the same league so the central coupling never really works.

Worth a look. But with Oscar nomination voting starting tomorrow, there’s no chance in hell Riseborough will be nominated. (Also, it’s not the mid-70s when films like Hester Street and A Woman Under The Influence could manage Oscar nominations with small, homegrown campaigns.)

by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2023 5:50 PM

[quote]Also, it’s not the mid-70s when films like Hester Street and A Woman Under The Influence could manage Oscar nominations with small, homegrown campaigns.

Yes, more's the pity.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2023 5:53 PM

[quote] But with Oscar nomination voting starting tomorrow, there’s no chance in hell Riseborough will be nominated..

Actually Oscar nomination voting closed yesterday at 5 pm.

But Variety does agree with your assessment about Riseborough's chances:

[quote] Regarding the Andrea Riseborough “surge” that has occurred in the last couple of days for her work in “To Leslie,” it’s either the most brilliant PR stunt ever performed or something crazy is about to occur with a jaw-dropper in best actress. I’m inclined to believe the former, with only one mention of her film coming from an AMPAS voter, and it wasn’t even an acting branch member.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2023 6:38 PM

Thanks, R7. That’s right, voting opening last Thursday.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2023 9:12 PM

Just saw it. Riseborough, for me, gives the performance of the year, among females.

by Anonymousreply 9January 22, 2023 9:43 PM

I want to see this. Based on what I've read, she surely deserves nomination, though that doesn't always happen with these small films. Rebecca Hall in "Christine" deserved Best Actress that year and wasn't even nominated.

by Anonymousreply 10January 22, 2023 9:51 PM

Well she got nominated!

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2023 4:37 PM

[quote] there’s no chance in hell Riseborough will be nominated.

Remember: the most important attitude for posting on DL is to be confident in in all things, including being confidently wrong.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2023 5:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!