Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘McCloud’ (1970-1977)- anyone remember this limited series that ran for 7 years?

Man, I watched an episode today for the first time since I was a kid and saw it in reruns back in the 90s & boy is it good! It holds up amazingly. I found myself glued to the tv and really into the episode.

The whole concept of a New Mexico (southern! deputy marshal gets assigned to Manhattan's 27th Precinct was so appealing to people back in the 70s it seems. Small town cowboy in a big metropolitan city. It’s so cliche now but probably not back then.

I like a lot of the supporting characters more than McCloud himself, but it’s great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 30, 2022 7:23 PM

Dennis Weaver was a DADDY! He made my young gayling pecker get HARD!

by Anonymousreply 1November 27, 2022 3:50 AM

God yes, my Dad used to watch it every week. I haven't thought of that show for years. I remember McMillan and Wife too. I used to confuse Dennis Weaver with another guy from a Western TV show, confused. I can't remember the other Characters name or the show.

by Anonymousreply 2November 27, 2022 3:53 AM

Sure! This was on every week at our house.

by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2022 3:55 AM

Ken Curtis, Gun smoke

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2022 3:57 AM

I remember Columbo too. Right now Kolchak is on, that's what I'm watching.

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2022 4:04 AM

Columbo came on after this show.

It finished season 3 at #5 for the year. It was a hit.

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2022 3:32 PM

I had a crush on Dennis Weaver

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2022 6:31 PM

R7 I highly doubt that.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2022 7:12 PM

It’s impossible to watch season 1 the way it was originally aired. You can only find the re-edited version for syndication.

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2022 7:15 PM

I liked Coogan's Bluff which seems to be the inspiration for McCloud

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2022 7:17 PM

I loved McCloud!!! Never missed it.

by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2022 8:11 PM

We watched it. I remember an episode with Jaclyn Smith, girl smuggler.

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2022 10:50 PM

I remember an episode with Lorna Luft

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2022 10:55 PM

Dennis Weaver was the first 100% daddy bear I crushed on...before I even knew what that meant. His beautiful southern accent topped only by his beautiful dad-bod.

by Anonymousreply 14November 27, 2022 10:56 PM

He didn’t have a dad bod

by Anonymousreply 15November 27, 2022 10:59 PM

[quote]R9: It’s impossible to watch season 1 the way it was originally aired. You can only find the re-edited version for syndication.

Untrue, R9. Visual Entertainment Incorporated has recovered Season One, the Four-In-One episodes of McCloud (so-called because they were part of a "wheel series", broadcasting on different weeks with 'San Francisco International Airport,' 'Night Gallery,' and 'The Psychiatrist'), in their original form, and they are included in the McCloud box set.

Since Season One was later chopped up and combined with bridging material to create several Season Two episodes, there's a certain amount of redundancy in the set, but the unaltered Four-In-One episodes are interesting viewing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 27, 2022 11:38 PM

Didn’t season 1 have 6 episodes originally and then they were chopped up and edited into 3 episodes?

by Anonymousreply 17November 27, 2022 11:42 PM

I liked it. It was my favorite Sunday NBC Mystery Theater after McMillan and Wife. I could never get into Columbo. I particularly liked this 1976 episode where McCloud travels to Australia to solve a case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 27, 2022 11:50 PM

[Quote]I remember an episode with Lorna Luft

is that the episode where she was molested?

by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2022 6:19 AM

I preferred McMillan & Wife and Columbo to this show.

Although I was very impressed that Dennis Weaver had an "earthship" house somewhere in the West.

by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2022 6:31 AM

Sorry, OP. I was born in 1977, so I have no recollection of this show.

R18, that is one good looking guy on your link.

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2022 6:45 AM

What did Mick Jagger say when he saw Dennis Weaver at thePlayboy mansion? Hey hey Hugh Hugh get off of McCloud!

by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2022 6:50 AM

All the episodes are on Tubi, a free streaming channel, and we've been watching one every Sunday night, as God intended. Just started the final season.

The guy who plays McCloud's reluctant partner, Broadhurst, is really good at understated exasperation. Quite funny. And Teri Garr is featured in a few episodes! One episode in particular gives her a lot to do, and it's her last appearance on the show - I assume Young Frankenstein was released around this time and she became too famous for TV.

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2022 6:57 AM

I seem to recall that this rotated with McMillan and Wife and Colombo on Sunday nights. Given that was how the shows were broadcast it seems there would be fewer episodes made than weekly shows like Police Woman or Hart to Hart.

by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2022 7:05 AM

Loved Weaver and the theme song.

by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2022 7:43 AM

R23 only that isn’t true. Why are you making up watching it every Sunday night? Why does everything need to be a lie?

by Anonymousreply 26November 30, 2022 9:26 AM

I was on an episode in 1973. Oddly, all that I remember is Joanna Pettet. I have no memory of Teri Garr. Ross Martin (Wild, Wild, West) and Steve Allen were also in the episode, but no memory. I must not have been on set when they were on set. I remember his son, Rusty Weaver. We were born a few days apart in the same year.

by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2022 10:03 AM

If not for MST3K, I would have never known that 'McCloud' existed.

by Anonymousreply 28November 30, 2022 10:11 AM

They air it on Cozi TV during the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 29November 30, 2022 3:15 PM

Oh, yes, OP!

I'm 58 and for 51 of them have had a love affair with Dennis Weaver. I just love his face, his expressiveness, his lanky, easy manner.

You're right; [italic]McCloud[/italic] holds up remarkably well. Such great casting of regular and recurring actors. "Fish out of water"-style movies or TV shows often are ham-handed, too obvious, or just plain boring. Not [italic]McCloud.[/italic]

And to this day my family and I think [italic]Duel[/italic] was Spielberg's best film, by far, (with [italic]The Sugarland Express[/italic] a close 2nd). My God, what a virtuoso performance by Weaver. Stunning on so many levels. Too bad in the 20+years I've been here I've never seen a DL thread on that film. Perhaps I should start one?

Good job, OP.

by Anonymousreply 30November 30, 2022 5:08 PM

I agree R30. "Duel" is a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 31November 30, 2022 5:16 PM

[quote] McCloud (1970-1977)- anyone remember this limited series

Yes, OP. I watched it as well. Liked it a lot.

But just to note, it was not a "limited series". It was a regular TV series.

by Anonymousreply 32November 30, 2022 5:55 PM

Take your meds, R26. McCloud is indeed streaming on Tubi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 30, 2022 6:35 PM

R32 incorrect. It was a limited series, and had just a few episodes per season. In modern day it would be classified as a regular series because we have less episodes now due to streaming but back then this was a limited series.

Season 1- 6 episodes

Season 2- 7 episodes

Season 3- 5 episodes

Season 4- 5 episodes

Season 5- 9 episodes

Season 6- 7 episodes

Season 7- 6 episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 30, 2022 7:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!