Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A fond farewell to Freddie Mercury

Frontman of Queen, Freddie Mercury left us on this date on November 24th, 1991. Recognized as one of the greatest voices in rock music, and one of the great voices period, Freddie Mercury will always be remembered.

Let's show some love for Freddie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 10, 2024 6:32 PM

He was in the Village People.

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2022 3:44 PM

Freddie and Queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2022 3:45 PM

I loved Freddie. It hit me hard as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2022 3:46 PM

Freddie passed away at the age of 45.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2022 3:47 PM

I heard he was one of them there homersexshuls.

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2022 3:48 PM

I thank my lord every November that hiv took him because I don't like his music. Don't forget that it was his body his choice to have sex without a condom.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2022 3:48 PM

He knowingly spread HIV so I’ve had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2022 3:49 PM

Still remember when I found out. I was home alone trying to take a nap but not really suceeding and I had my clock radio on and it gave the news.

We miss you Freddy. Say hi to George too.

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2022 3:49 PM

Creep.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2022 3:53 PM

Freddie was fantastic. Rest in peace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2022 3:57 PM

I <3 Freddie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2022 3:57 PM

Queen and Freddie Mercury is so overdone at this point.

I no longer find him cool.

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2022 4:10 PM

Cut or uncut, though? He was a Persian but born in the UK. Did the doctor snip his foreskin?

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2022 4:16 PM

Not a Queen fan but I'm still blown away by the fact that the Freddier Mercury tribute concert was watched by 1 billion concert. The only thing comparable in the recent decades was google crashing due to Michael Jackson's death. It's easy to see why Queen, The Beatles and Michael Jackson are the three most popular legacy acts.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2022 4:24 PM

If he was born in the UK, I’m guessing uncut.

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2022 4:25 PM

[quote]I no longer find him cool.

Oh, he’s cool. He’s definitely cool by now.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2022 4:26 PM

He was born on zanzibar island. Do they circumcise there? Circumcised men are even less likely to wear condoms. It could explain his aids R13 R15. The video talks about what happens in sanzibars Isle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2022 4:28 PM

Freddie fought to live--he tried all kinds of experimental treatments to no avail. If he could have held on another few years he might have been saved by the first cocktail meds, but time ran out on him.

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2022 4:32 PM

One thing I've never understood is how Elton John survived the 80s. Either he really beat the odds with his partners or is one of those rare people who is partially/naturally immune to HIV.

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2022 4:34 PM

R19, it might have a lot to do with the fact that between his personality and his body he's entirely unfuckable.

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2022 4:36 PM

Nobody that wealthy or famous is unfuckable.

Even if he were, hiring is the way to go.

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2022 4:39 PM

R18, I thought it was the opposite. He refused to stop smoking/drinking/partying.

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2022 4:40 PM

R18 wasn’t there a big breakthrough in HIV medicine in eqrly 1992? I remember reading that Freddie could’ve extended his life had he held out just a few more months

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2022 4:41 PM

You make it sound like he had a choice.

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2022 4:52 PM

R24 he could have lived longer with a healthy lifestyle but R22 said he was a party person

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2022 4:56 PM

He never came out of the closet and hid his sexuality. How is he a gay role model???

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2022 4:59 PM

R23 he died because he knowingly infected so many men with HIV.

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2022 4:59 PM

R27 do die in a slow grease fire lit personally by that loose mother of yours.

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2022 5:03 PM

R26 it was a different time.. And while he may have never uttered the words "I'm gay" on camera, he wasn't exactly hiding it either..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2022 5:05 PM

R29 No, he never said it. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2022 5:09 PM

That's what I said, didn't I, R30?

But he was gayer than a peacock, and he wasn't subtle about it...

- strutting around in leather..

- ...spotting that 80s gay moustache

- He called the band QUEEN, ffs.

- At least three of his/their music videos feature him in drag.

- You can find pictures in the gay bar "Deutsche Eiche" in Munich in that very bar.

- Referring to Elton John in interviews as "that Sharon" (and Elton referred to Freddie as "Melinda")

Etc. etc. It may not be enough "evidence" to you, but to me, that screams G.A.Y.

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2022 5:20 PM

correction: - You can find pictures of Freddie partying in the gay bar "Deutsche Eiche" in Munich in that very bar.

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2022 5:21 PM

R31 Infecting endless men with HIV.

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2022 5:30 PM

I thought he was bi like Jake is allegedly according to the other thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2022 6:04 PM

R33 are you a gay man?

by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2022 6:23 PM

R35 Yes, and whilst he was going around infecting the world the word was out about him being positive and how destructive he was.

by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2022 6:37 PM

The author of a recent Freddie bio gives a lot of evidence that Freddie wasn't infected until the summer of 82. Had he paid attention to the frantic rumors flying around in early '82 and changed his ways, he might have avoided the plague altogether. Of course, that could be said of many people.

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2022 7:08 PM

RIP Freddie. You were incredible and you aren't forgotten.❤🙏

by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2022 8:07 PM

R29 are you really this dense? Absolutely no one ever assumed he was straight. Have you seen any of his interviews or videos, at all? We had a thread a couple of weeks back where someone said the Pet Shop Boys never officially came out, which is almost equally stupid. Freddy Mercury was up and about in the scene in Munich very frequently. It's really slander to say he was some sort of a Ricky Martin. He never pretended to be straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 24, 2022 9:41 PM

Freddie DID publicly announce that he had AIDS - and then died from it the very next day. If people didn't know that he was gay then they weren't paying attention. It was a different day and he started out with women and then gravitated toward his heart's desire, the male of the species. Rest In Peace to a beloved icon.

by Anonymousreply 40November 25, 2022 12:03 AM

Love of my life - Queen - Live at Rock Montreal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 25, 2022 12:08 AM

I was a teen in the 70s and everyone with more than half a brain thought Queen was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 42November 25, 2022 6:34 AM

I heard this today and almost cried, it was so beautiful and nostalgic for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 10, 2024 2:42 AM

Freddy Mercury died? OMG, I am shook.

by Anonymousreply 44January 10, 2024 2:51 AM

[quote] He was a Persian but born in the UK.

Why do people post things like this without even bothering to check if they're accurate?

As someone above posted, he was born in Zanzibar.

by Anonymousreply 45January 10, 2024 3:09 AM

R39 Not to mention his wearing a MINESHAFT tee onstage!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 10, 2024 3:13 AM

I was a freshman in high school when he died and even though Queen's peak years were a bit before our time, we all knew the songs and who Freddie Mercury was.

by Anonymousreply 47January 10, 2024 3:13 AM

A voice that was immediately recognizable. One of a kind.

by Anonymousreply 48January 10, 2024 3:25 AM

"I'd sit alone and watch your light My only friend through teenage nights And everything I had to know I heard it on my radio"

by Anonymousreply 49January 10, 2024 3:29 AM

R49 His performance of that song at Live Aid is legend. He was "it" that day.

by Anonymousreply 50January 10, 2024 3:34 AM

Aww, you're right R50. Perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 10, 2024 3:40 AM

I cried r51. Such a different time. Grateful I got to live through it, so grateful. He was a beautiful, absolutely gifted performer. He fully connects with the audience, they are locked in together the entire song — it is electric to see that energy. We don’t seem to have performers like this right now, and no, please don’t say TayTay. Part of the magic of Queen was they transcended all boundaries, they attracted both genders, upper/lower class, gay/straight….i don’t know if their music also transcended race, but shit. TayTay fails to transcend, doesn’t make her a bad performer, but they aren’t comparable at all. He came as close as a performer can to transcending every single barrier to connect with almost anyone who was just open to it.

And I remember reading he wore that arm band because he was already starting to get those skin lesions on that arm (I forget the correct term) — don’t quote me on that, but whenever I see this performance, I am always wondering in my mind how he was feeling physically at that point in his disease. And then I get sad for him again because he knew he was sick.

by Anonymousreply 52January 10, 2024 6:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!