Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New Zealand-shot horror film "Strange Behavior" (1981), also known as "Dead Kids"

Starring Michael Murphy, the recently-departed Louise Fletcher, Dan Shor, and Fiona Lewis. Has anyone seen this? I watched it for the first time the other night and found it to be a real hidden gem. It's basically a slasher flick, but with some weird 1950s-inspired science fiction thrown in. It's set in Illinois, but was filmed in New Zealand. It features a great score by Tangerine Dream.

Overall extremely weird, but quite well-made. Fletcher is a welcome presence but her part is essentially a throwaway—I'm surprised she agreed to do it to be honest. Dan Shor is very cute in it, and shows his bare ass in a weird bathroom scene where he's with his dad. Fiona Lewis is creepy as hell, and there's an unforgettably horrific sequence involving a needle going into someone's eyeball. It was co-written by Bill Condon, who (oddly) went on to write "Chicago" (2002) and write/direct "Kinsey" (2004) and "Dreamgirls" (2006).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2022 7:00 AM

Where did you watch it? I'm intrigued.

by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2022 6:21 AM

R1 I blind-bought it on Blu-ray from Amazon a few days ago. I follow Severin Films, the company that put it out on Blu-ray, and they were advertising it on their social media as their release is going out of print soon (among a handful of other Australian/New Zealand horror titles, such as "Thirst" from 1979—also a good one). I had not seen it but had read about it before, so I decided to buy a copy. Worth watching I think—I've never seen anything quite like it, and it doesn't seem to be very well-known. Someone uploaded it on YouTube if you're interested:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2022 6:26 AM

Dan Shor baring his backside

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2022 6:41 AM

The best scene in the movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2022 10:34 AM

I thi k I remember two "Strange" movies around that time - Strange Behavior and Strange Invaders

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2022 10:37 AM

Thank you r4, I’ve always loved that scene.

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2022 10:59 AM

It's on the Internet Archive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2022 1:17 PM

R5 Strange Invaders was a loosely-related installment in a trilogy of "Strange" films that never came to full fruition. Bill Condon also co-wrote Strange Invaders.

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2022 7:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!