Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Murders close to you

Have you ever had a murder happen in a building where you lived or next door to you? Did you know any of the people involved?

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2022 10:59 AM

This murder and attempted murder of a Lesbian couple took place very close by to my family’s cabin, which is directly on the Appalachian Trail. The short award winning documentary is worth a view following the survivor’s return many decades later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 24, 2022 1:52 AM

This murder happened in the building where I lived when I first moved to Toronto. I still remember when the police knocked at the my door, asking me if I noticed anything suspicious - I was making pomegranate salad dressing for dinner and had red spots all over my white t-shirt... The rumor was that it was an addict or a homeless guy the murdered eldergay picked up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 24, 2022 1:53 AM

Well, there was one in the room next door to me when I was vacationing at Mar A Lardo this past summer. The proprietor was very nice about it - he told me I could stay an extra night for free to compensate my pain and suffering. Then his (third) wife named Melania removed the body and buried it on one of his golf courses the next day.

by Anonymousreply 3November 24, 2022 1:53 AM

The murder of Fred Schultz's wife took place next door to us. You might know it as the Laurie Bembenek case. Fred did it, Laurie didn't. He - and his fellow Milwaukee police officers - framed Laurie and Freddy retired to Florida.

by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2022 2:33 AM

A schoolgirl was abducted from the girls’ boarding school near my childhood home. The abductor walked her down our street and then into a lane that ran alongside our house, leading to a park, where he raped and strangled her.

by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2022 2:46 AM

Yes, 3 houses down a young man shot and killed both parents. Happened more than 2 years ago and house is still boarded up. Probably haunted, too,

by Anonymousreply 6November 24, 2022 2:50 AM

Not a neighbor, but this whack job who happened to be my preschool teacher murdered her husband (with the help of her high school lover). I was several years out of preschool when it happened, but my parents were very freaked out by it. She seemed extraordinarily normal and incapable of doing something like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 24, 2022 2:54 AM

Yes, someone in my building. I didn't see or hear anything, it all happened while I was asleep. I didn't know the neighbor besides waving hello and seeing him coming in and out sometimes.

I have no idea what happened or if anyone was ever caught. Supposedly it was a robbery committed by someone he knew personally- his door was kicked in though.

by Anonymousreply 8November 24, 2022 2:55 AM

When I was a child, a teen broke into a home during lunch hour. A girl, about 8, was home for lunch. He beat her to death. That was two blocks from my home.

by Anonymousreply 9November 24, 2022 2:56 AM

No and I hope one never happens.

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2022 2:57 AM

R9 Was he tried for that murder?

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2022 3:48 AM

I went to school with one and was actually friends with him. He killed his wife and dumped her body with the help of some other woman. They were drug dealers and it was a big ring that was exposed when she went missing. It was a crazy story.

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2022 3:53 AM

One of my uncles was murdered during a mugging a few years ago. He was shot in the back while running away from his cowardly assailant. Still doesn't seem real.

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2022 4:24 AM

My best friend was the victim of a homicide several years ago. Out of the kindness of their heart, they opened up their home to a coworker who was struggling, including mental health battles, and let them stay with them. One night, said coworker proceeded to stab them multiple times. Losing a loved one in such a heinous manner is a kind of pain that never goes away.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2022 4:35 AM

I watch Only Murders in the Building on Disney+

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2022 4:39 AM

The closest murder was a murder-suicide right behind the house that’s directly across the street from us. It was a little tense until they found the husband’s dead body, locked in his car, off the 101.

The craziest part was that right after that, my closest work friend had the same thing happen in the house kitty-corner to hers.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2022 4:57 AM

A woman I work with was shot and killed in our parking lot by her husband. 15 years back the mall two blocks away from me was the scene of a mass shooting that resulted in the murders of several people. One of my cousins during a schizophrenic episode murdered his ex-wife. One of my step Brothers roommates was shot and killed in their house.

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2022 5:07 AM

This is a stretch, but I worked for a family in Greenwich and found out that a block or so away, Martha Moxley had been murdered 30 or so years before that with a golf club. I then read “Murder in Greenwich” and got really creeped out. A few years after I read the book and left the area, Michael Skakal (a distant Kennedy) was finally tried and convicted of the horrific crime. He’d done it in his teens out of jealousy and rage and the book pretty much pointed to him as the murderer.

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2022 5:16 AM

r18 I think i remember seeing that on a made for tv movie, reality crime series or investigative report a la Dateline, etc.

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2022 5:28 AM

R11, yes he was, though he was convicted of manslaughter so was out in his twenties (Canada, but harsher sentences then). He was also from the neighbourhood.

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2022 5:35 AM

Every murder is close to me!

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2022 5:42 AM

Not sure if this qualifies but here goes. I went to a small neighborhood elementary school in a poor New England city. One class per grade so everyone knew each other. In the class behind me, one kid had serious problems and ended up in a psychiatric hospital, He killed another patient. From that same class several years later, a guy who I grew up with, lived a block away, and was coincidentally my brother-in-law's cousin, was convicted of murdering an elderly couple, And a guy from my class murdered someone with an axe during senior year.

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2022 5:43 AM

My cousins' babysitter/neighbor in Montana was brutally murdered while working at a video store in the '90s. She was working alone one night, and someone came in and stabbed her multiple times in the head and neck before slitting her throat. My aunt and uncle were coincidentally eating at a restaurant adjacent to the video store, and when they had finished their dinner, they walked outside to police cars everywhere. She had managed to crawl to the store entrance and was found by passersby lying in the store entryway. It was brutal.

There weren't surveillance cameras in the store (not unusual I guess in a small town at that time), and the murder went unsolved for around 20 years. Whenever we visited my family there, I vividly remember seeing posters around with her face on them, asking the public for tips. People were really freaked out, for good reason. I was from a big city on the west coast, and it unnerved me as a kid that something like that could happen in podunk Montana and the killer could go undetected.

They finally caught the sick fuck a few years ago after he raped and stabbed a newspaper carrier (she survived, thank god).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2022 7:13 AM

From 1985-87 I was on Independent Study, would come to the “school” once a week, 1pm Wednesday, to drop off my completed assignments, pick up new ones, & converse with my teacher. The first couple sessions were at a continuation school, but luckily they changed the location to a community center. I had no contact with other students at all, except one time I got there a few mins early & waited behind the student in front of me, Jennifer something (I only knew her name from seeing it on the exposed paperwork on the desk).

Christmas Eve rolls around a few weeks later, & for some reason I ended up staying home, after dinner & gift opening, while my mother & grandparents went to a family friend’s house. I took a super hot shower & listened to my Bananarama 12” of More than Physical, & my new Pointer Sisters cassette of Hot Together (goldmine was my fave).

I remember feeling so carefree at 16, home alone, sweating naked after my shower, & flip on the news. The top story was of a teenage girl who’d been murdered by her ex while out Xmas shopping. They go through the bulk of the story, & practically end with, “The victim’s name was Jennifer ——.” (I forgot her last name over time but think it started with an F). My blood ran cold, & I sat there in stunned disbelief.

A couple hrs later my mother came home & she was all hot to trot to tell me how my godmother had a conniption at the party & had stormed out since most of the guests were speaking their native language. I told her my story & she was kinda nonplussed, like oh well, it’s not like you knew her or anything (not that she was dismissive of the tragedy, just my internalization of it).

A couple weeks later after “vacation” ended (though it didn’t feel like a vacation since I wasn’t really in school), my teacher asked me if I’d seen the news over the break. I asked if she was talking about her student, she said yes, & was surprised I knew her name. We commiserated over how awful the event was, & She told me if the press contacted me (which would be unlikely given we didn’t really have contact with each other) to just say no comment & leave it at that.

When I

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2022 8:12 AM

Was R24 murdered before they could finish their story?

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2022 8:38 AM

Some dude ended up owing money to drug dealers and the police only found the head. Don't do drugs ppl.

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2022 8:51 AM

Does family count? My aunt murdered her abusive husband in self-defense.

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2022 8:54 AM

R25 Clever 😆

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2022 8:58 AM

R1 thank you for posting that chilling and moving film.

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2022 9:25 AM

I looked out my front window while eating lunch one day and saw 5-6 heavily armed guys from a SWAT team hiding behind my storage shed. They were planning to storm the house next door in response to a 'welfare check' on the woman occupant that had been called in by her relatives. They did, and discovered the woman and her ex dead of gunshots, murder-suicide. I'd talked to the perp earlier in the day, but didn't realize that he was lurking outside her house waiting for her to open the door to go to work. I heard no gunshots, but years later discovered a bullet embedded in my roof.

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2022 9:27 AM

Oh I remembered a couple more I used to work with this guy whose dad had taken hostages at the hospital and ended up killing one of them. The son eventually killed himself and then just this week one of his brothers also killed himself but it was suicide by cop. Also when we first moved to a new town when I was 8 the very first night we were there a woman was shot and killed during the robbery at a video store about four blocks from our new house.

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2022 10:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!