Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What If Your Dinner Guests Brought Tupperware For Thanksgiving Leftovers

Would you be offended?

by Anonymousreply 65November 27, 2022 2:42 PM

Of course not. Best to go to good homes than be wasted. We won't eat leftovers for a week...yuk.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2022 10:20 PM

^ as in Not offended.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2022 10:20 PM

I’d immediately ask “what is that for”? Upon learning it is intended for leftovers, I will usher them swiftly out my front door.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2022 10:23 PM

Better than having to give them mine and never seeing it again.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2022 10:27 PM

lol this thread will end in tears like it always does every thanksgiving

There are cultural differences and it depends. If Im at a gathering with my immediate family I bring disposable containers or cake pans for myself and others to carry food away. We always split leftovers and I hate putting my food in old tupperware.

If Im a guest at someone's home who is not my family, I dont do it and wouldn't expect anyone to do that to me.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2022 10:33 PM

I wouldn't care at all. If I like you enough to invite you over for Thanksgiving, then you must be like family to me. Bring your tupperware, what the hell do I care?

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2022 10:49 PM

I’d fill each container with my feces

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2022 10:50 PM

I’d welcome it. Less to put away and don’t have to give away my own containers.

When I was younger and would go to dinner at my parents my mom finally insisted that I start bringing my own Tupperware because I took all of hers each week. She would intentionally cook extra so I could take the leftovers but at some point get put out over the Tupperware.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2022 10:58 PM

In my immediate family (sisters, nieces, etc), we were encouraged to take food home, so bringing your own Tupperware was not a judgeable offense. I would not do it if I went to a more formal function like relatives I see once a year - that's tacky and I would feel like a schnorrer.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2022 11:12 PM

you wouldn't be offended?

by Anonymousreply 10November 24, 2022 2:54 PM

I would happily fill them up for $10 per container. I paid for all this shit after all.

by Anonymousreply 11November 24, 2022 3:06 PM

I had a sister who would bring hers and nothing else. I quit hosting Thanksgiving for that, among other reasons.

by Anonymousreply 12November 24, 2022 3:29 PM

Tupperware?

Oh, how gauche!

by Anonymousreply 13November 24, 2022 3:32 PM

People who come with their Tupperware are almost guaranteed to take their own fair share. Now if we discuss it beforehand if they want to take leftovers and that it would be easier to bring their own, that would be one thing. I’m biased because I’ve actually seen it happen at my friend’s house and they practically cleaned her parent’s house out and left them with nothing and brought nothing. I suppose it depends on the entitlement level of the individual.

by Anonymousreply 14November 24, 2022 3:51 PM

[quote] I would happily fill them up for $10 per container. I paid for all this shit after all.

That is NOT the spirit of Thanksgiving

by Anonymousreply 15November 24, 2022 4:31 PM

That’s right. It’s ThanksGIVING, not ThanksTAKING!!

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2022 4:34 PM

I would thank them and then add, "I was worried I would not have enough containers to take leftovers to the homeless shelter later today."

by Anonymousreply 17November 24, 2022 4:45 PM

I would not be offended...buuut I would find it a bit tacky for a guest to waltz in with Tupperware in hand and act like a seagull ready to swoop in on the remaining food. Better to say "Hey, those potatoes were delicious. May I take some home?"

by Anonymousreply 18November 24, 2022 5:18 PM

Happy to send people off with leftovers, but A that’s my decision and B incredibly presumptuous of guests to show up like that.

by Anonymousreply 19November 24, 2022 5:20 PM

What about me?

by Anonymousreply 20November 24, 2022 5:22 PM

As a host, if there are leftovers, of course. It's Thanksgiving, and this is a way to give thanks for my abundance.

But it must be done after the first sitting. If you disappear into the kitchen with Tupperware while I am serving the table, you will be scoot back.

Thanksgiving is about sharing, but I do count the silver while washing up.

by Anonymousreply 21November 24, 2022 5:26 PM

When I was in my 20s and 30s, I used to hold Thanksgivings for 10-15 friends every year. I encouraged them all to bring containers for leftovers because I would always end up making ridiculous amounts of food and I didn’t want all those leftovers in my fridge that I’d end up the outing away later. Now I’m too old and tired to bother cooking huge meals, so I don’t do it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 22November 24, 2022 5:29 PM

Microwaved turkey always tastes weird to me, so I say go for it. I hate leftovers!

I would make everyone clean my kitchen, so they have to work for those leftovers!!!

by Anonymousreply 23November 24, 2022 5:32 PM

Yes, the tubberware would be collected followed by a kind, "Thanks for the early Christmas gift". Low rent, obnoxious cunts.

by Anonymousreply 24November 24, 2022 5:34 PM

[quote]I would make everyone clean my kitchen, so they have to work for those leftovers!!!

r23, are you one of those dignity in work cunts.

by Anonymousreply 25November 24, 2022 5:36 PM

If there's plenty of leftovers, any decent host will not mind if the guests bring Tupperware.

by Anonymousreply 26November 24, 2022 5:40 PM

If the guest has cancer or some other kind of illness or disability that makes cooking or otherwise obtaining food difficult, by all means.

Or if I know that they're struggling financially, sure, why not?

But if it's just some hungry frau pig, I'd say something like, "sorry, we're packing up all the leftovers and handing them out to the homeless tomorrow". And I'd say it icily, with a smile more plastic than the Tupperware itself.

Seriously, I would never, ever imagine doing something like this. People are inviting you over and feeding you a huge meal, and you still expect more? Who does this shit?

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2022 5:41 PM

Who on earth would do something so cringe as that? OP I worry you're hanging out with some very strange gauche people.

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2022 5:45 PM

If you're hell bent on eating leftovers you can always order a pre-made meal-in-a-box from Marie Calendars!

(Frankly, they often taste better than homemade.)

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2022 5:52 PM

[quote]a way to give thanks for my abundance.

Can I use this line?

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2022 5:55 PM

My bucket list is to find a bunch of friends like you bitches in this thread and have a thanksgiving with you. I have a feeling I’d piss myself with laughter eventually, wine or not.

I love you guys. Oops, I meant folx I think.

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2022 5:56 PM

r25 Never a Queen, but always a CUNT!!!

Now, piss off!

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2022 6:05 PM

I'd be offended because it would make me think that my friends think i don't have tupperware of my own to give out

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2022 6:07 PM

[quote]What If Your Dinner Guests Brought Tupperware For Thanksgiving

As long as they brought enough for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2022 6:07 PM

R23 don’t reheat turkey in the microwave Either wrap in foil and heat in the oven or heat with gravy in a saucepan on the stove.

by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2022 6:09 PM

My days of making more holiday food than we can eat are long gone. I make enough in case someone wants extra and if it doesn’t all get eaten I’ll ask if anyone would like me to make them a plate to go. I bought some sturdy plastic dinner plates so don’t worry about any lost Tupperware. This year one of my friends is bringing two pies, pecan and rhubarb, for five people. She’s going to get all the uneaten pies to take home. Pecan pie is way too sweet for me and I love rhubarb pie but one piece is enough.

by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2022 6:50 PM

If people brought food (excluding hostess gifts like wine), they are welcome to take leftovers of their dish home.

Anything else is crass, except in a rare case where someone was sick or unable to attend and the person is taking a plate to that person.

Obviously, if the host announces that guests will be welcome to take leftovers AFTER everyone attending has had their fill, that's a separate case.

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2022 6:58 PM

if they are invited to Greg's they are automatically crass

by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2022 7:07 PM

You don't bring it into.dinner. That's tacky.

You leave it in the car and wait to see what other guests do when the meal is over.

by Anonymousreply 39November 24, 2022 7:11 PM

It depends. If I plan on giving away leftovers, I will let my guests know in advance to bring their leftover containers of choice.

I’ve had guests show up with Tupperware for regular and holiday dinners, which I find odd. I’m already sharing my food by buying it and cooking for you. Hold your horses with your damn plastic containers unless I let you know in advance that it’s ok to take home leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2022 7:13 PM

Take it all! For gods sake, just take it all now.

by Anonymousreply 41November 24, 2022 7:14 PM

I don’t have a problem if they want to use them to take home any leftover food that they brought to the dinner.

by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2022 7:17 PM

I simply say I'm having a "Friendsgiving" the following night, with the leftovers, so nothing walks at that door tonight!

People from the south grow up with that tupperware tradition, due to having huge families, therefore there's an abundance of food afterward, and you're doing the host a favor by taking it off their hands. I grew up in a small family so my grannies always went home with some leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2022 7:56 PM

I give a Friendsgiving lunch the day after all of my dinner parties. I also have a fresh lasagna ready to go to add to the leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2022 8:32 PM

All the best people offer their guests food to take home. So bringing any containers is not needed, as the servants will prepare the take-home items.

by Anonymousreply 45November 24, 2022 8:35 PM

As Host, Hostess and Maid-of-All Work, I have no problems filling containers or making up plates for people to take home.

by Anonymousreply 46November 24, 2022 8:44 PM

They arrive with the Tupperware, they leave [italic] in [/italic] the Tupperware.

by Anonymousreply 47November 24, 2022 11:41 PM

Dayum.

by Anonymousreply 48November 24, 2022 11:48 PM

This NYT advice column says YOU SHOULD bring Tupperware to Thanksgiving Dinner!

So it is not that uncommon as many might thing

What To Bring To Thanksgiving Dinner

As the party at the table enjoys their holiday banquet, it has yet to occur to the host that they might produce more leftovers than they have storage or stomach space for.

You can do your host the huge favor of anticipating this problem and helping solve it by coming equipped with your own snap-lid containers, reusable silicone bags, or just some repurposed takeout tubs.

Now your host won’t have to make a mental note to track you down for borrowed containers. (I’ll go to war before I relinquish ownership of my cherished Stasher bags.) This also mitigates many hosts’ after-Thanksgiving struggle of the guilt that comes from gorging on too many leftovers or allowing them to go to waste.

There’s a fine line between being pushy about demanding specific leftovers and being helpful. But if you were at my Thanksgiving, I’d be so pleased by your proactive approach that I’d insist you help yourself to first dibs while I tucked into another glass of wine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 24, 2022 11:49 PM

Not at all. I always have way too much Thanksgiving prepared food to eat myself and hope that others want some to take home as next day leftovers. I hate waste, especially if it's good food.

by Anonymousreply 50November 24, 2022 11:49 PM

Will my ass fit in his Tupperware?

Because I want that daddy to eat it ALL NIGHT LONG.

by Anonymousreply 51November 24, 2022 11:53 PM

R3 LOL!

by Anonymousreply 52November 25, 2022 12:02 AM

My cousin and his wife got styrofoam containers for everyone to take home leftovers….they are so flimsy though…my collard green juice ran all over my iPad.

Buck would have never given his guests styrofoam containers to hold leftovers…

by Anonymousreply 53November 25, 2022 2:37 AM

I'd be sitting there hoping they don't strip the bird to the bone. I'd only invite skinny people.

by Anonymousreply 54November 25, 2022 2:52 AM

I would love to eat some food out of a Tupperware container.

by Anonymousreply 55November 25, 2022 4:02 AM

Not one bit. Good manners should never be disconnected from common sense.

by Anonymousreply 56November 25, 2022 4:06 AM

Life is too short to be offended at something like that.

by Anonymousreply 57November 25, 2022 4:18 AM

Lately it’s become a REQUIREMENT for guests to bring Tupperware. I have so many of my fine China go missing because people make to-go plates and never bring the plates back. Now I make sure everyone has Tupperware before entering my house.

by Anonymousreply 58November 25, 2022 4:31 AM

So did anyone bring Tupperware yesterday?

by Anonymousreply 59November 25, 2022 4:00 PM

Yes, we all did.

by Anonymousreply 60November 25, 2022 9:12 PM

I did, but I was afraid of r47, so I left it in the car.

by Anonymousreply 61November 25, 2022 9:38 PM

No, but I had just started reading this thread before I left for dinner at my sister's yesterday.

I told her about this conversation on DL after the great meal as she was dealing with the left overs and asked her opinion as she was asking guests if they wanted to take some food home.

She thought the idea of guests having their own containers was fine. She was scrambling around to find enough containers for the food packages she was making up.

By the way, she was offering left overs. No one was crass enough to assume they were entitled to them.

by Anonymousreply 62November 26, 2022 12:43 AM

If you mean because it's being hosted at my place, yes I would be offended. The leftovers are mine.

by Anonymousreply 63November 26, 2022 12:59 AM

R63 = fat whore pig

by Anonymousreply 64November 26, 2022 7:41 AM

so who is eating out of their Tupperware this AM

by Anonymousreply 65November 27, 2022 2:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!