Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Everything Everywhere All At Once- What are you people smoking?

This movie is horrible! Two hours and eighteen minutes of vomiting up nonsense capped off by a Razzie deserving performance by Jamie Lee Curtis. Why did this get any praise?

by Anonymousreply 84March 1, 2023 8:27 AM

The culture is in arrested development, so juvenile junk gets praised.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2022 6:33 PM

It was a bit of light-hearted fun. Hardly worth getting your knickers in a twist about.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2022 7:18 PM

Thanks for telling me what to do, R2. How would I function without you?

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2022 7:19 PM

I just watched it last night and thought it was fun. It was a bit too long, I agree, but kept my interest, and I don't think they were trying to be too serious with it, which was refreshing. I'm not normally into movies like this, so the ridiculousness of it helped.

by Anonymousreply 4December 23, 2022 2:29 AM

Oh well, I liked it. Did you see the new Predator movie? That one was pretty good too. I have only watched three movies this year, and they were pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 5December 23, 2022 2:33 AM

Thirty minutes in, I lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 6December 23, 2022 2:40 AM

Any movie that is praised these days is guaranteed to be absolute shit.

Knives Out

Fabelmans (MY SIDES!)

Not that I would ever lower myself to actually watch this slop.

by Anonymousreply 7December 23, 2022 2:46 AM

^I saw Knives Out after goading by my brother and it turns out it was actually really enjoyable. I haven't heard good things about the sequel though.

by Anonymousreply 8December 23, 2022 2:50 AM

I figured out the who done it of Knives Out long before the ending. The costume gave the plot away

by Anonymousreply 9December 23, 2022 2:57 AM

When did Jamie Lee Curtis become considered a “good actress?” Because clearly I was late in getting that memo.

Or is it more “I’ve been in the business long enough and never went away” and eventually if you never stop working people will think you’re “great” and a “legend?”

by Anonymousreply 10December 23, 2022 3:13 AM

It's about 4 hours too long but other than that it's ok.

by Anonymousreply 11December 23, 2022 3:20 AM

She’s an original nepo baby, R10. MeToo got people talking about Janet Leigh and Hitchcock again, so praising Jamie Lee feels like giving Leigh her flowers (as the kids say these days.) Doesn’t hurt that she’s married to Christopher Guest and has a trans kid and doesn’t stop talking about sobriety, so very au courant. Plus people really like those activia commercials.

by Anonymousreply 12December 23, 2022 3:21 AM

Twenty minutes in, I started fast-forwarding. When I realized that it was nothing but a two hour non-stop battle of Crouching Tiger meets Being John Malkovich via Predator, I was done.

by Anonymousreply 13December 23, 2022 3:41 AM

Jamie Lee gives a grotesque performance in EEAAO. Dumb that she’s even “in consideration.” Every supporting actress in She Said and Women Talking should be nominated before her.

by Anonymousreply 14December 23, 2022 3:42 AM

I’m appalled this movie has the most Oscar nominations this year. It was utter garbage.

by Anonymousreply 15February 4, 2023 11:20 PM

If Dlers hate it, it must be excellent.

by Anonymousreply 16February 5, 2023 1:12 AM

It's a good test to be able to tell which people lack attention spans and imagination. You know, the ones that like to be spoonfed everything.

by Anonymousreply 17February 5, 2023 1:23 AM

I couldn't get through it. Banshees kept me riveted all the way through.

by Anonymousreply 18February 5, 2023 1:28 AM

R17, correct…those types love EEAAO.

Tip for future filmmakers: if your script requires the characters to continuously *explain* what’s going on, then you’ve failed. Your job is to portray what is going on.

by Anonymousreply 19February 5, 2023 7:02 PM

I hated the first part which was a largely CGI-driven, pointless sci fi kung fu flick. I paused it once those fake closing credits started rolling, left the room, did something else for an hour and then forced myself to continue watching. Boy, did my opinion change. The second and the third part were wonderful and truly gave you deep insight into the characters and their lives. By the end, I was crying. Basically, with better editing, with the first part trimmed down by good 30-40 minutes, it would've been an amazing movie.

by Anonymousreply 20February 6, 2023 2:47 AM

It’s dumb and unwatchable. My husband loved it. If this movie had come out when we just started dating, we wouldn’t be together.

by Anonymousreply 21February 6, 2023 2:54 AM

It's a travesty this received the most nominations. It took me three times to actually make it through the whole thing. The first two times, I gave up 30 minutes in. The message of it was pretty nice once you could make it through all of the stupid crap up until then. It was just a horrid vehicle. And Jamie Lee Curtis did NOT deserve a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 22February 6, 2023 3:16 AM

Young people and those who haven't seen a lot of cinematic classics from the past few decades may be impressed with this. But that's a naive take.

This film was a hot mess - trying to be deep and multiple universes, but it was just a jarring jittery mess. And the acting was NOT that great.

Totally overrated. And of course, all the naive people online accuse those who don't like it as being simpletons and morons. When actually, the reverse is true.

If you're impressed with this overblown crapfest, then I'd love to know why. What made this such a great film for you?

by Anonymousreply 23February 6, 2023 3:37 AM

Why wasn't Adam Driver in it?

by Anonymousreply 24February 6, 2023 5:46 AM

Jamie Lee Curtis and her tits would have rated an Oscar nomination when she was in "Trading Places". Not so in this.

by Anonymousreply 25February 6, 2023 5:50 AM

Watching Jamie Lee Curtis in EEAAO, I kept thinking "Tilda Swinton should have played this!"

by Anonymousreply 26February 6, 2023 6:47 AM

I bet a lot of people who didn't like it didn't watch the whole thing due to what R20 said.

R23, while going a bit overboard on occasion, it was at least original. I thought it was funny. I love Michelle Yeoh's performance but I like her in everything. I mean, it's no Top Gun Maverick! *sarcasm* (in case that wasn't obvious) I also like that it was a sci-fi movie that found a wider audience and received acclaim from many different groups. I also hope it has opened a door for wider consideration when it comes to the recognition of that genre. It was just a fun movie to kind of fall into for a couple of hours.

R23, did you watch the whole movie? Some of my favorite movies are Cinema Paradiso, Amelie, Bicycle Thieves, Fried Green Tomatoes, and Alien, so I like a pretty wide expanse of movies and have seen thousands over my lifetime. I am not young or naive. What is your idea of great cinema?

by Anonymousreply 27February 6, 2023 7:03 AM

I enjoyed it, just because Yeoh is great. Curtis is hard to judge in the movie because she's one walking cliché after another. None of her roles seems credible to me though. The woman playing Yeoh's daughter was bland and boring as fuck, being a lesbian being her only characteristic. I liked the idea that there are alternate realities in which we draw upon similar resources but accomplish very different things, but any nuance of the plot got hopelessly buldozzed by the quirky daughter-monster. Anyway, I enjoyed it as in: I wasn't bored while I watched it. I was in there with two 15 year-olds who had a good time. They were definitely the target demographic.

by Anonymousreply 28February 6, 2023 7:09 AM

I must be getting numb to movies that are fantasy and high action. Some are good, but I seem to get bored quickly with movies like this and Avatar. Although Avatar is very beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 29February 6, 2023 8:47 AM

I felt the same way, OP. I'm pretty sure it was written by a 9 year old boy.

by Anonymousreply 30February 6, 2023 9:33 AM

Did you watch the whole movie, R30?

I wonder if anyone stopped watching at the fake credits and has been bad mouthing the movie ever since?

by Anonymousreply 31February 6, 2023 11:29 AM

A time traveling and dimension skipping movie is not everyone's cup of tea if it is outside the Marvel Multiverse.

I found it amazing to watch, and very enjoyable.

Much better than Asians in the Basement from last year.

by Anonymousreply 32February 6, 2023 11:36 AM

I still think a lot of people got confused (especially if they aren't used to sci-fi, time/dimension jumping type stuff) and then got mad at the movie for confusing them.

by Anonymousreply 33February 6, 2023 11:48 AM

It took what seemed like many hours of nonsense to reveal itself as a somewhat serious, if depth-free, movie about mothers and daughters. A twist not even M Night Shyamalan saw coming 90 minutes in.

by Anonymousreply 34February 6, 2023 12:54 PM

Yes, I watched the whole movie, R31. It still was written by two men who know nothing about mother/daughter relationships and honestly have the maturity of 9 year old boys.

by Anonymousreply 35February 6, 2023 6:53 PM

AND I'm a huge sci fi geek and loved the idea of the multi dimensions. But butt plugs and bad animation are not my idea of "humor."

by Anonymousreply 36February 6, 2023 6:54 PM

I thought it was fantastic. The most original and inventive movie I've seen in years.

If I had to vote between it and TAR for best picture (another movie I loved), I'd probably just flip a coin.

by Anonymousreply 37February 6, 2023 7:22 PM

R27, it was not original.

Doctor Strange did it better.

by Anonymousreply 38February 6, 2023 7:31 PM

I enjoyed it. It's not a film that I thought much about once it was finished, but it was diverting. The only thing is that I felt it probably was about 20 minutes too long.

I don't normally like sci-fi nor martial arts movies, so it was a nice surprise.

by Anonymousreply 39February 6, 2023 7:31 PM

The beginning was embarrassingly corny. I’m glad children like it, but the silly dildos aren’t appropriate for them.

by Anonymousreply 40February 6, 2023 7:33 PM

r38, yes, the Marvel Multiverse does it better FOR AN ACTION SUPERHERO FLIC.

by Anonymousreply 41February 6, 2023 7:33 PM

Hey op? I didn't make it through the opening scene in the laundromat. Nope, can't do it.

by Anonymousreply 42February 6, 2023 7:49 PM

The whole thing could have been over a lot sooner if the mother apologized to the daughter for calling her fat. Geez.

by Anonymousreply 43February 6, 2023 11:36 PM

While I wouldn't agree with OP that it is horrible, I found it hard to follow. The message it was giving was nice, but I didn't care a lot of the storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 44February 7, 2023 3:12 AM

The guy playing the father was very good, and his part is almost as long as Michele Yeoh's, but I guess they though supporting was more of a lock in his case for an award.

by Anonymousreply 45February 7, 2023 6:13 AM

this music video from the directors made them famous inside Hollywood. Less than 10 years later they're likely to beat out Spielberg for a directing Oscar.

Give it a minute. It's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 46February 7, 2023 6:49 AM

Thank you OP. It was a badly acted piece of shit, terribly unfunny and reeked of third rate Adult Swim mentality. It’s a Marvel movie without the Marvel label, so people feel safe calling it good.

by Anonymousreply 47February 7, 2023 6:50 AM

It, literally, has nothing in common with Marvel movies. R47 probably didn't watch all of EEAaO and never watches any Marvel movies.

by Anonymousreply 48February 7, 2023 6:53 AM

I’m also surprised so many self proclaimed woke people like this movie. It basically doesn’t characterize its women beyond trite Asian American stereotypes (tiger mom adjusting to loss of tradition, rebellious young daughter).

And R48/PR shill I have watched a number of marvel/comic book movies (most of which I loathed - I do love the Tim Burton Batman movies and the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies because they’re genuinely well made and enjoyable) as well as this piece of trash. They have the same goddamn shallowness, lack of artistry, and easy to swallow 3rd grade trite “messages.” A “Be Kind” bumper sticker on some frau’s car has the emotional depth of this movie. I can’t believe people consider any of the performances in it Oscar worthy either. When did Michelle Yeoh become a grand thespian? Is it because she’s some old Asian lady? She’s always been an action star.

by Anonymousreply 49February 7, 2023 6:56 AM

That's a lot of words to tell us you're an idiot and a racist, R49.

by Anonymousreply 50February 7, 2023 7:12 AM

Easily my favorite movie from last year - and maybe my favorite movie from the last 10 years.

There are many layers to the film. The entire cast is great.

by Anonymousreply 51February 7, 2023 7:13 AM

So it’s racist now to criticize a cheesy movie, r50. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 52February 7, 2023 1:05 PM

R50 I'm racist because I didn't like a movie for 10 year olds?

by Anonymousreply 53February 7, 2023 2:33 PM

No, moron, this part is what makes you a racist...

[quote]When did Michelle Yeoh become a grand thespian? Is it because she’s some old Asian lady?

It also makes you ageist.

by Anonymousreply 54February 7, 2023 6:23 PM

It probably makes him Wokeist more than either of those things, R54.

by Anonymousreply 55February 10, 2023 5:15 AM

I kept thinking it was going to get good, but it never did.

by Anonymousreply 56February 10, 2023 5:20 AM

Jamie Lee Curtis annoys me in everything she's in, she feels like a lesser Sigourney Weaver.

by Anonymousreply 57February 10, 2023 5:32 AM

Congrats Michelle!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 27, 2023 4:58 AM

Heartfelt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 27, 2023 5:07 AM

Damn impressive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 27, 2023 5:23 AM

Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan are deserving of their nominations. Their performances elevate a movie that is good in parts, but is overly long and overwrought. Jamie Lee Curtis should not have been nominated. It's embarrassing to see her nominated next to Kerry Condon, Hong Chau, and Angela Bassett. The film itself is not deserving of a best picture nomination or best director.

by Anonymousreply 61February 27, 2023 5:34 AM

High scores with critics and audiences and box office over $100 million. Award nominated and winning. Something went right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 27, 2023 5:46 AM

Twenty minutes after watching it, I was hungry again.

by Anonymousreply 63February 27, 2023 6:05 AM

Jokes from the late 60's. How old are you?

by Anonymousreply 64February 27, 2023 6:09 AM

What's that frock she's wearing on her chest? Looks like package stuffings.

by Anonymousreply 65February 27, 2023 6:16 AM

R65: I thought they looked like artificial French fries churned out by some 3D printer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 27, 2023 6:30 AM

OMG others thought so too: packing stuff and French fries!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 27, 2023 6:31 AM

Haven't seen it, but isn't it supposed to be about what the world is like for people with ADHD? Perhaps that's why it doesn't resonate with most, but when it does, it's does because those 'on the ADHD spectrum' LOVE it.

???

by Anonymousreply 68February 27, 2023 6:51 AM

It's trash. But Michael had his billionaire husbamd buy him an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 69February 27, 2023 6:55 AM

People on the spectrum R68, R67, R66, R65 can't distinguish between packing stuffing and hand stitched sequins on a Schiaparelli Haute Couture gown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70February 27, 2023 7:02 AM

I thought it was a boa made of paper. Huh.

by Anonymousreply 71February 27, 2023 8:24 AM

I thought it was a sweet weird action movie with a lot of heart. I hope it wins.

by Anonymousreply 72February 27, 2023 8:32 AM

I really liked it after I watched it the 3rd time. It reminded me of The Prestige, which I also had to watch a few times to fully understand it.

by Anonymousreply 73February 27, 2023 11:52 AM

For r38

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74February 27, 2023 12:51 PM

It is a sweet and fun sci-fi film, but should it win over All Quiet on the Western Front, or Triangle of Sadness? Or even Tar? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 75February 27, 2023 8:40 PM

[quote] Why did this get any praise?

Because orientals are in control of Hollywood now.

And they're also in control of the Academy.

Get ready for a new era of oriental saturation in Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76February 27, 2023 9:29 PM

I found it entertaining and well acted. I hope it cleans up at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 77February 27, 2023 11:34 PM

[quote] I found it entertaining and well acted. I hope it cleans up at the Oscars.

The only thing they'll clean up are the floors, after the ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 78February 27, 2023 11:41 PM

I watched it for about thirty minutes and then had to make it stop. Rooting for Banshees.

by Anonymousreply 79February 27, 2023 11:59 PM

R76, Carpets are in charge of Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 80February 28, 2023 12:49 AM

Jamie Lee’s grotesque, stupid “evil white lesbian” performance shouldn’t even be in the fucking lineup next to the work of Kerry Condon and Hong Chau. What a pathetic joke.

by Anonymousreply 81February 28, 2023 5:57 PM

Agreed, R81.

This movie should be cancelled.

It's offensive on so many levels.

by Anonymousreply 82February 28, 2023 9:40 PM

Gurls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 1, 2023 7:59 AM

R16, that's exactly what I came here to say! I always know something is worth watching if it's loathed here.

by Anonymousreply 84March 1, 2023 8:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!