Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Madonna and YSL resurrect SEX book at Miami Basel

Artists are here to disturb the peace y'all.

All she has these days is nudity, even if it's 30 years old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2022 3:19 AM

Why not? Art Basel Miami. Saint Laurent. Madonna. All empty vessels. Gotta put something on the walls.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2022 5:55 PM

Yikes. Who is requesting this?

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2022 5:59 PM

Nothing particularly “Yikes” about this (well, maybe its inclusion at Art Basel is a bit lame, but then I don’t understand much about the art world except to notice most of it seems like bullshit), but I’m struck now, when I think about this book, at how dumb it was.

Madonna wasn’t saying anything with it, it didn’t need to exist, but I’ll be damned if I didn’t want a copy of it when it came out (I was 12 at the time). I never encountered it in person even once back then. (I was limited to shopping malls, and there was no internet.)

Some of the images are kind of cool/funny however. I always liked the shot of Madonna with big blond hair, cigarette in mouth, completely naked and hitchhiking somewhere in… Los Angeles, probably. It was mildly interesting to see her step back from this precipice immediately afterward, and disappointing to see her fully toss herself back over it 30 years later.

Madonna… what a bore she became after her first decade in music.

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2022 6:06 PM

Brave of her to re-show her barely there ass from 30 years ago against that full on Kim Kardashian Brazilian butt-lift she has now. Or her new watermelon tits.

She'll insist it's all natural though.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2022 7:06 PM

Just a talented artist in every medium!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 24, 2022 5:03 AM

Will they keep the part in the book where she discusses her penchant for fucking 14 year old boys who have just started sprouting public hair? She disgusted me then and she disgusts me even more now.

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2022 1:28 AM

The book is awful. Most of the pictures are not flattering at all. And most of it is just repulsive. Especially the writing. And those pictures of her trying to shit in a bowl and also the lesbian skinheads. Just complete shit.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2022 1:38 AM

Remember this nugget of genius?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2022 5:46 PM

quote [The book is awful. Most of the pictures are not flattering at all. And most of it is just repulsive. Especially the writing. And those pictures of her trying to shit in a bowl and also the lesbian skinheads. Just complete shit.]

How dare you. HOW DARE YOU. I am an ARTIST. Artists are here to disturb the peace. Does it make you uncomfortable to see a WOMAN taking a shit? Does it make you uncomfortable to see a WOMAN PLEASURING HERSELF? You're nothing more than a MISOGYNIST and representative of the PATRIARCHY!!

If a man was squatting to take a shit, you would call it art.

by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2022 1:19 AM

R9, that sounds just like Madonna, I'm impressed!

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2022 1:22 AM

The biggest disappointment about Madonna is her ghastly syntax in her Instagram posts.

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2022 1:26 AM

It's her new faces and attention seeking, r11.

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2022 2:32 AM

Yo! Artists are here to disturb the peace!

Smoke some doobie while making out with my non-binary kid from Malawi!

You guys gotta hear my new song, it's a collab with Lil Phatz Kunst ,R U Ghey and Wash Thee Gunt! We did a totally cool mash-up of Causin' a Commotion!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2022 7:21 AM

R13 good job 👍Lil Jirk is doing a collab with downthedrain and Madge at the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2022 8:06 AM

HAS......

.......BEEN.

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2022 6:28 PM

There is nothing truly intelligent or witty or subversive about this book. Or even sexy.

by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2022 6:33 PM

If I could sum up the Sex book in three words it would be this: Madonna plagerises Mapplethorpe.

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2022 7:29 PM

Madonnais so full of shit. She claims that she meant the book to be "ironic" but it's not ironic at all. It's just badly written junk. It exposed her as being unsexy. Really, which writings in the books were supposed to be sexy? I can't remember a single word in the book being sexy. She was completely off her rocker for thinking the public would get turned on by her pictures of her pretending to shit in a bowl, the picture with lesbian skinheads, countless other pictures, etc.

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2022 7:33 PM

She disowned the book for a while afterwards.

Now it's back?!

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2022 7:37 PM

The only people who don't like it are reductive.

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2022 7:55 PM

You have to love the Madonna stans (not fans) who celebrate the book for "paving the way" for the likes of Cardi B and Nicki Minaj, a work of pioneering feminism. These people are delusional. Why is any of that worth celebrating? And really, how shallow is their feminism that they have to celebrate this lame book?

by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2022 8:38 PM

I can't really think of any pictures in this book I either like, or made me look at a second time. It feels very clinical or something. I suppose I did a double take at the gym photo, but that was probably more me trying to work out if it was meant to be a consensual or nonconsensual fantasy for a minute.

I liked the video of the photography sessions that was in the "Erotica" video better. That had the feel of a stag film, which I thought was quite good. Someone on here also once posted a magazine shoot also by Steven Meisel around the time with Madonna dressed up in 1920s gear, and those photos were MUCH better.

R6, here's Sherri Shepherd reading from the book, including that section.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2022 8:46 PM

Madonna's Sex book changed the culture. It paved the way for future female artists. Madonna disturbed the peace and changed the world.

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2022 3:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!