Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Avatar 2 may open to $200 million

Take that, TÀR!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2022 8:17 PM

It's not Tàr, it's Tár. Obviously you've been pronouncing it wrong all this time.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2022 4:37 PM

What about me???

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2022 4:57 PM

Tar vs. ‘Tar!

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2022 4:58 PM

Is "Avatar: The Way of Water" related to "Tár"? Perhaps its real title is "AvaTár: The Way of Water," and it's all about an abusive, egomaniacal orchestra conductor trying to save a far-off planet exploited for its unobtainium.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2022 5:00 PM

R3 should be Tár vs ‘Tar

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2022 5:03 PM

I find it VERY hard to believe this movie has any interest in it. The trailer looks exactly like the original, and the original was a terrible movie that relied heavily on its (albeit pretty) 3D effects that no one cares about now. I’ll be shocked if this doesn’t flop. They’re severely overestimating interest and engagement.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2022 5:36 PM

No interest in this pre-teen trash.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2022 6:16 PM

OMG Avatar sucked. I mean really really sucked.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2022 6:17 PM

This shit looks so garish, so obviously it's going to do insane numbers.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2022 6:19 PM

R7 = Billy Eichner

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2022 6:19 PM

They took way too long for this. The first film released when I was in high school!

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2022 6:21 PM

I would enjoy it if this barely broke even.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2022 6:24 PM

The first one was pretty mediocre- great effects, lame story and pathetic script.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2022 6:37 PM

The original Avatar was pretty forgettable. I just hope the sequels tank because I can't stand the hubris involved. Shouldn't have cost so much to make nor taken over a decade to get it done. But that's James Cameron.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2022 6:44 PM

I would open for $100 million.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2022 7:20 PM

[quote] The first film released when I was in high school!

You act like we all know how old you are.

REVELATION TO YOU: you're an anonymous poster on the Internet, and so could be of any age.

by Anonymousreply 16November 24, 2022 4:09 PM

Add me to the list of people who have zero interest in seeing this.

The big draw of the original was the cutting-edge effects work. But now, those effects are everywhere (and being done better in other films) -- there's nothing novel or awe-inspiring about them anymore.

As others have said, the story and characters in the first film were mediocre (and forgettable -- what was the first film even about, again?) at best.

by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2022 12:48 PM

People at work are already talking about making plans to see it with their families. These are middle-aged people. This is going to be a monster hit.

by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2022 1:05 PM

I had to leave the theater during the first one. The "language" was unbearable to me.

by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2022 1:07 PM

[quote]Avatar 2 may open to $200 million

It damn well better since it needs to earn $2 billion to break even.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2022 1:08 PM

Most movies never break even in their theatrical release.

by Anonymousreply 21November 29, 2022 1:13 PM

I can't believe there's absolutely zero buzz over this fucking thing. I loved the original. I have the 3D blu ray that I never watch. Haven't seen zero ads for this or on tv. I don't see how this won't flop hugely. It is fucking insane. I refuse to pay for theaters anymore. So no I won't being seen it.

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2022 8:08 AM

The Avatar haters are going to have to eat crow. This thing is going to make mega box office. It's going to win all the Oscars. People will be writhing in ecstasy in the pews of the theaters. There will be riots afterward. Avatar is coming baby, and there's nothing the haters can do about it.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2022 8:23 AM

I’m not a hater. But not gonna lie I thought this would flop because of the large gap of release from the first one.

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2022 8:29 AM

Is this one of those grassroots things like the Christian movies that no one hears about and opens massively?

I don’t know what to think about this one. It has mega bomb written all over it but I never expected the first one to be as huge as it was. I think it’ll be a challenge to get to 2 billion. And it’s what? Over three hours? I’ll probably watch this at home with edibles at some point but I couldn’t imagine sitting with a general audience through this thing in the theater, no matter how good it looks.

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2022 8:32 AM

Those opening numbers are about the same as a Marvel blockbuster. This will obviously be a hit but it HAS to be mega hit to be a “success”.

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2022 8:32 AM

No one is talking about this movie. It is not Star Wars. It is not Marvel. It is not a cultural moment. It’s hilarious there are three more. I hope the studio didn’t spend much on this. ☠️☠️

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2022 11:51 AM

[quote]It is not Star Wars. It is not Marvel.

And [bold]that's[/bold] what makes it special for a lot of us.

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2022 12:10 PM

lol at R28. Avatar special. Mmkay. 🤡

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2022 8:07 PM

This thread has 28 posts. If that’s even the tiniest microcosm of the interest in this film, it’s completely fucked. Cameron himself has said the film needs to hit 2 BILLION in box office. 2 billion for a sequel that no one has asked for or talked about for twenty years. Sure, that’s gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2022 8:12 PM

“Early estimates are suggesting Disney’s Avatar: The Way Of Water may be staring down the barrel of a financial disaster. According to internal polling data reported by Cosmic Book News, estimates are suggesting the long-awaited James Cameron film may gross only $150 million domestically when Avatar 2 hits theaters next month, with the most optimistic estimates weighing in at about $175 million. While these multimillion-dollar figures would be a godsend to a bank account like yours or mine, this is a shocking underperformance for a film 13 years in the making with an unprecedented production budget in the hundreds of millions of dollars.”

Yep, it’s fucked. And so is Disney.

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2022 8:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!