Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do you do when you've genuinely tried your best, and it still wasn't enough?

Bitchy answers are always appreciated, but hoping for some serious ones as well

by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2022 4:21 AM

Fail.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2022 4:04 PM

Chalk it up to a learning experience.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2022 4:09 PM

R1 and R2: Obviously you've never personally experienced this yourselves

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2022 4:11 PM

OP sometimes the best is all we can do and it has to suffice..

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2022 4:14 PM

R3 Experienced WHAT, dumbass. Tried your best at WHAT? Learn to post.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2022 4:15 PM

OP doesn’t understand the R1 role.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2022 4:15 PM

R5 learn to read context, twat

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2022 4:16 PM

The story of my life, OP, the story of my life.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2022 4:16 PM

Sounds like the reason you failed at whatever the fuck you're talking about is a lack of intelligence and communication skills.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2022 4:17 PM

"And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet."

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2022 4:18 PM

R3 I changed my mind, OP.

Obviously, you failed because you're a complete moron. And you'll continue to fail.

There. How's that?

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2022 4:19 PM

R5/R9, you've already expressed yourself in this thread, now kindly go away

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2022 4:19 PM

R7, no context has been given. Dummy.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2022 4:24 PM

Building up personal resilience from personal failure is through evaluation, change and endurance. People who can evaluate failure and move on are stronger survivors than others.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2022 4:24 PM

It depends on what the circumstance is. If it's trying and still failing a test 'take this as a message. If you are trying to save a child from a burning building and fail, then that is much harder to overcome and chalk up to a learning experience.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2022 4:30 PM

R13 have you ever maybe considered that context could be derived through a LACK of context?

For example, ever wondered why in the movie Jaws they showed the shark fin more than they showed the actual whole shark?

If you can't comprehend that... I don't know how to explain it to you. Stick to watching "SpongeBob SquarePants" and let the adults talk

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2022 4:32 PM

Booze and pot helps forget your troubles and get happy.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2022 4:32 PM

[quote]It depends on what the circumstance is.

I completely agree with this.

Additionally, I'd add that it depends on whether I met or exceeded my own expectations, irrespective of whether I "failed" or not.

[quote][R13] have you ever maybe considered that context could be derived through a LACK of context?

Not r13, but this is self-referential nonsense. It pretends to be much deeper and more thoughtful than it actually could ever be. As for the Jaws reference, there is an enormous difference between "suspense" and "mystery" based on assymetry of information between the reader (audience) and the characters - so, your analogy is utterly flawed.

In the proposed situation, information assymetry reflects an a ridiculous mystery box with no purpose.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2022 4:38 PM

OP I don’t think your efforts weren’t enough. Your post succeeded very well…in pissing off anyone stupid enough to engage with it.

Myself included

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2022 4:46 PM

R18 so in other words, you freely admit your lack of emotional intelligence?

I purposely used the Jaws reference to insinuate that the so-called (at least what you call a) "mystery" situation is one also frought with "suspense" (fear, tension, anxiety, whatnot).

Is mystery not frequently connected with suspense within the realm of human experience?

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2022 4:47 PM

Maybe do something else? What’s is regarding? If it’s a sport or endeavour there could just be some things you’re not cut out for.

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2022 4:47 PM

R21 it's within both the professional and academic realm

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2022 4:49 PM

[quote][R18] so in other words, you freely admit your lack of emotional intelligence?

[quote]I purposely used the Jaws reference to insinuate that the so-called (at least what you call a) "mystery" situation is one also frought with "suspense" (fear, tension, anxiety, whatnot).

LOL - and you freely admit you have no idea what you're talking about to conflate "mystery" and "suspense" in that manner, as both are terms of art when it comes to film and novels. They do not, in fact, operate in the manner you think they do based on your flawed insinuation.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2022 4:51 PM

How pathetic one must be to ask DL this question.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2022 4:52 PM

Move the fuck on.

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2022 4:54 PM

R23 explain to me then, in such a way that I will no longer conflate the two deeply divergent concepts?

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2022 4:56 PM

Typically, I feel good if I’ve exhausted all options but know I did everything I could to make something succeed. Somethings aren’t meant to work. But feel good that you made a real effort. Within that failure you’ll find options for future success.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2022 5:02 PM

I usually just look online for empty and false platitudes, OP - that always helps.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2022 5:10 PM

Hmm ... I've tried my best in most of my relationships. A lot of them didn't work out. I've learned ... slowly ... not to be so hard on myself. What more can anyone do, really, than their best.

[quote] "And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet." Matthew 10:14

I actually looked up the meaning of Matthew 10:14 and it's about the disciples evangelizing in pairs, going house to house. The saying (scripture?) sounded cooler before I looked up the meaning.

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2022 5:11 PM

R13 will soon fail his community college’s film studies class.

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2022 5:43 PM

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Good advice from Samuel Beckett, unless you're trying to do something terrible (like get Jodie Foster's attention).

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2022 5:49 PM

Try to practice acceptance, OP. Don’t try to blame circumstances or other people for a failure which you really know is either your own fault or no-one’s fault. If you have failed because of your own actions, ask yourself if you could honestly do better. If the answer is yes, then try again!

If you seriously think you couldn’t do better, then you have to go back to acceptance again. No-one is good at everything. Turn your energies to the things you know (or at least suspect) you can do.

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2022 5:58 PM

Op, end it all

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2022 6:03 PM

You need to find Jesus. I mean really, turn to something higher OP, even if it means attending the local gay accepting Episcopal church.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2022 7:06 PM

Wrote a song about that very situation, once, dear OP. You might know it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2022 7:16 PM

When you feel lost and about to give up

'Cause your best just ain't good enough

And you feel the world has grown cold

And you're drifting out all on your own

And you need a hand to hold

Darling, reach out, reach out for me

Reach out, reach out for me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2022 3:33 AM

I love that song, r35, as long as I can keep myself from remembering he wrote it for Goop.

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2022 3:38 AM

If this is job related, I would start looking for a new job. If you’ve tried and tried and tried to fix something, it’s time to move on.

by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2022 3:56 AM

Sexual incompatibility is real, accept it or hone your skills.

by Anonymousreply 39November 24, 2022 4:06 AM

Throw in the towel

by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2022 4:08 AM

Maybe what you're doing isn't for you OP. Put the time and effort towards a different career.

by Anonymousreply 41November 24, 2022 4:13 AM

These immortal words from the late Samuel Beckett:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2022 4:19 AM

^ let me hasten to add: that only applies to something you know you’re born to do.

It most certainly does NOT apply to human relationships of any kind

by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2022 4:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!