Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What does Thanksgiving mean to you?

Anything?

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2022 4:04 PM

A Burgerland holiday for celebrating fat ppl or smthng????????

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2022 11:13 AM

Gluttony and sloth. Two of my favorite deadly sins.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2022 11:14 AM

Lots of turkey followed by lots of cock!

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2022 11:16 AM

I've always liked it. I love all the food and it's always been a happy time of reunion with friends and family. I have a lot to be thankful for, and I do love to eat.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2022 11:17 AM

A day off.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2022 11:27 AM

Going to the storage unit

My hatred of every roasting pan I’ve ever bought

My elderly father saying “So, when we eating?” every 5 minutes

Drinking wine out of a mug

Frowning at the sweet potatoes as they boil because I just cannot tell when those fuckers are done

Listening to my sister announce how much she hates my oven every 5 minutes

Hiding my “too gay” refrigerator magnets

Remortgaging my condo and giving the proceeds to Instacart

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2022 11:29 AM

A reminder of my loneliness

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2022 11:29 AM

A glorious four-day weekend off from work to be by myself. Nowadays, a one-hour Zoom call with out-of-state family vs traveling hours in horrendous traffic to see them.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2022 11:35 AM

You have us, r7 gurl!

And we think you look thin today!!

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2022 11:41 AM

I never liked Thanksgiving.

My mother complained about Thanksgiving for months beforehand and then months after: "all the days spent preparing and then it's over in an hour." But she never took the advice to let someone else host it or to simplify her menu. The food isn't terrible but it's bland and far from my idea of a special meal.

The meal itself was an awkward affair. Everyone spoke only of the food, "this came out really well this year," or "I like the X -- as always." Conversation was more static and scripted and bland than the menu. Awkward silences were broken with a, "well this is nice, isn't it nice?"

I broke the habit by 20 and found something else to do those days, whether someone else's Thanksgiving (other families and hosts were always more interesting or fun), or an un-Thanksgiving meal pit with friends at an old-fashioned Chinese restaurant or something very un-turkey. Later I took advantage of the 4 day holiday to incorporate into a trip that usually lasted from before Thanksgiving through the to the start of the new year. I enjoyed travelling or relaxing with friends, but never had any great affection for the holiday itself and especially not for the traditional dishes.

Being with friends or doing something special was reminder enough of some of the best reasons to be thankful.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2022 11:45 AM

Carbohydrates.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2022 11:51 AM

Just another meaningless holiday America invented to feel good about itself, but it’s not as bad as Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2022 11:53 AM

The beginning of a month and a half of obligations

Carpenter’s Christmas Album

Buying way too much bread for stuffing

Getting to use my big industrial kitchen sized silver mixing bowls that I store in a suitcase. I get drunk and play “Soup Kitchen Worker”

Missing Mother, but trying to stay cheery

Listening to my brother list his various accomplishments every 5 minutes

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2022 11:55 AM

It means 2 days off from work, I’m very thankful for that!

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2022 12:08 PM

A lot of work.

It's tolerable if I can just stay home and do the baking, but this morning I'm gonna have to go out chasing vanilla extract and coconut extract. I hate last minute discoveries like that.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2022 12:11 PM

^^^ I cannot believe I am out of baking soda. Who runs out of baking soda? I feel like a bitch, already.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2022 2:15 PM

As a kid, I loved the parades, food, family and days off school. As an adult, I manage the shopping, cooking and clean-up. But, I guess that is what it is all about. I think I would like to have only one holiday this time of year, and a day full of parades. Too much work and I get tired too easily.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2022 3:30 PM

R10 your family needs to drink more. My family holiday meals were always fun and the wine flowed freely and conversation was boisterous and interesting.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2022 3:34 PM

It's a food fest and excuse to indulge and socialize. Like any holiday, it's what you make of it.

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2022 3:56 PM

[quote] Hiding my “too gay” refrigerator magnets

Why the hell should you have to hid your refrigerator magnets? You're hosting Thanksgiving and they should be ... thankful.

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2022 4:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!