Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Some White Latinos Are Upset At ‘Black Panther: Wakanda’ Forever Casting Darker Skin Latinos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 28, 2022 10:44 PM

My casta paintings are ready for consultatia!

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2022 10:53 AM

“Some”. Well maybe “some” need to get over it for fucks sake.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2022 11:55 AM

All I'm seeing is that some rightwing news outlet in Mexico said casting a lighter-skinned Latino was just fine, but a darker-skinned Latino being cast meant Hollywood was a bunch of reverse racists.

Not really newsworthy, in my opinion. Why amplify the rightwing propaganda machine from another fucking country?

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2022 11:59 AM

Have the Mayans weighed in?

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2022 12:00 PM

There's always going to be someone who is unhappy...

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2022 12:00 PM

Didn’t really unearth it, the colorism has always been really blatant. I still vividly recall the insane bitterness the white telenovela actresses had over Yalitza Aparicio’s Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2022 12:02 PM

Datalounge's dumbest obsession is the so-called White Latino. How people preen on about that mythical entity is the stuff of camp legend. Mike White of White Lotus must now do The White Latino! His quest is to find a genetically pure white Latino at a resort in Miami. It is so damn elusive because. all of these Latinos have minute mestizo or mulatto blood . I know the White Latinos will be thrilled by their weird obsession coming to the small screen.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2022 12:10 PM

Keep being upset! boo hoo hoo

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2022 12:29 PM

That made me laugh, r7

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2022 12:32 PM

Well, it is called BLACK panther...

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2022 12:41 PM

Colorism has been big in Mexican media. Most Mexican productions focus on casting light skinned people.

The guy who plays Namoi has talked about this a lot, how hard of a time he has in Mexico finding work as a darker skinned guy.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2022 12:42 PM

Why are DLers obsessed with “White Latinos”? Black people and Asians are no different. They prefer lighter skin, too. The only people who want to be darker are White people. That is why they tan.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2022 12:46 PM

Gosh, I can't get over how dreamy he is. I'd love to carry his beautiful caramel babies almost to term. (I can't quite afford kids just now, don't judge.)

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2022 1:15 PM

R13 has me rolling

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2022 1:21 PM

Idiots. The white Latinos were accurately portrayed as the violent oppressive cololonizers that they are. The truth hurts I guess.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2022 1:37 PM

That actor in OP looks pretty white to me.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2022 1:57 PM

R15, just stop. Tribalism is human nature. The darkest skinned blacks in Africa have attacked & colonized their own neighbors.

The truth hurts: no race is superior. We are all violent animals who will stop at nothing to live like kings.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2022 2:07 PM

That’s because you’re an idiot, r16.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2022 2:09 PM

R17 you can’t talk sense to racist morons. They blame light skinned people for every problem in the universe.

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2022 2:14 PM

[Quote]That actor in OP looks pretty white to me.

Are you insane? He's the same color as Trevor Noah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2022 2:28 PM

white latino = cuban

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2022 4:00 PM

White Latinos=descendants of the beneficiaries of colonialism, those who oppressed. You can't benefit from oppressing people of color in your own country and then expect the benefits offered to oppressed people of color in this country.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2022 4:13 PM

Save it for your friends at Uni, R22.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2022 6:03 PM

R19 Get your head out of your ass. It's a fact that there were no white people in the Americas before they invaded the continent and murdered, enslaved and killed all the brown people who lived here. Pointing that fact out does not make me a racist. It make me me a realist.

Wanting to ignore facts or coddle the tender feelings of the descendants of those colonizers is idiocy of the highest order.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2022 6:26 PM

To be fair those brown people weren't indigienous to this continent either. No one was here.

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2022 6:28 PM

He’s so hawt.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2022 6:28 PM

R24, what about the descendants of those who died to end slavery?

by Anonymousreply 27November 24, 2022 3:45 AM

R17 Tribalism is the wrong word to use for R15 because whiteness isn’t tribalism. Because in a lot of cases, especially in both the Americas, it’s based on perception.

Like I always say, Cubans are white in Florida, not Alabama.

by Anonymousreply 28November 24, 2022 4:07 AM

I've been in lust with Tenoch Huerta since he did that Netflix series "Fuego Negro" a couple of years ago.

I'd seen him before in lots of stuff, and I enjoyed him as an actor, but I never thought he was super hot until that role.

Anyway, he recently went viral after posting a nude photo (didn't show anything, just enough to show he was naked) on Twitter or Insta, and he captioned it "Puro Poder Prieto, Prrs" (which is basically "Brown Pride"), and tons of people started trolling him with the hashtag #PPPP. Not just light-skinned people, a lot of dark-skinned people were making fun of him too.

And with his being cast in such a big-budget Hollywood blockbuster there's been a LOT of talk about him in Mexico, with the colorism discussion front and center. Poor Yalitza's name is appearing in a lot of the articles about him, and she's being trashed mercilessly in comment sections, with people saying that she's not even a real actress and has no talent, etc. A lot of it seems like machista, sexist bullshit, which is still very much a thing in Mexico.

I give props to Tenoch, though. He is pretty eloquent and passionate in his discussion of the colorism issue, he comes to the defense of his fellow dark-skinned actors when they face similar criticism, and he repeatedly calls out the racism, sexism, and homophobia prevalent in Mexican society.

by Anonymousreply 29November 24, 2022 4:20 AM

Well “In the Heights” and “West Side Story” last year proved white Latinos don’t support their movies so I don’t know why they want to get riled up.

But for me, I grew up around Latinos. The reason why Hollywood has a lack of Latinos is because they have their own Hollywood and their own movies.

by Anonymousreply 30November 24, 2022 4:32 AM

But what about the white latinX?

by Anonymousreply 31November 24, 2022 4:35 AM

[quote]In the US, Latino roles are hard to come by. Only around 8 percent of roles in American movies go to Latino actors, according to a 2022 Hollywood diversity report, conducted by the University of California Los Angeles.

Yet Jada wants to make sure that Blacks (who are 13% of the American population) continue to get 50% of the roles today. (Latinos are 19%).

by Anonymousreply 32November 24, 2022 6:08 AM

r20, that poster is clearly joking. Beyond that, though, that actor is actually much darker than Trevor Noah. There are European (white) entertainers that are as swarthy as Noah is in that picture.

r32, so they have enough numbers to start advocating for more media representation of their group and make meaningful change? So, Jada has unchained them from the Red Table Talk set and there's nothing stopping them from producing, filming, and consuming stories about & from Latinos? Great!

by Anonymousreply 33November 24, 2022 6:25 AM

Namor's people are supposed to be pure Mayan, and white Latinos are upset about it? Beyond parody.

by Anonymousreply 34November 24, 2022 7:51 AM

Happy Thanksgiving!

by Anonymousreply 35November 24, 2022 1:01 PM

R32 It is so comical. A lot of Hispanics are second generation and will be a bigger percentage of the population. They won't be in love with giving 12 percent 50 percent of the film,TV and commercial work.

by Anonymousreply 36November 24, 2022 3:01 PM

[quote] and there's nothing stopping them from producing, filming, and consuming stories about & from Latinos? Great!

Just like nothing has ever stopped Black filmmakers and writers from making and consuming stories about Blacks (exhibit A: Tyler Perry)..... yet that hasn't stopped Jada and all of "woke" Hollywood from feeling the need to "blackwash" existing storylines and cast 50% of commercials with Black actors.

by Anonymousreply 37November 24, 2022 3:32 PM

R37

It’s not “woke Hollywood” doing that, you idiot. It’s companies realizing black people are profitable.

by Anonymousreply 38November 24, 2022 7:19 PM

[QUOTE] It is so comical. A lot of Hispanics are second generation and will be a bigger percentage of the population. They won't be in love with giving 12 percent 50 percent of the film,TV and commercial work.

It doesn't matter what they want. It only matters what Hollywood and MSM choose to push out.

by Anonymousreply 39November 24, 2022 7:22 PM

[quote] To be fair those brown people weren't indigienous to this continent either. No one was here.

How quickly people forget. I was here!

by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2022 7:44 PM

R38 Complete bullshit. It is wokeness.when 88 percent of the population is not shown as much as 12 percent it is a major problem. Companies need to pay attention to all demographics not just one.

Speaking of which wouldn't it be great if the GLBT community were a bigger chunk of representation in films,TV and commercials? That would be just great. I would love for us to have a much bigger piece of that pie.

by Anonymousreply 41November 25, 2022 1:00 AM

[quote]there’s something to be said about how the pressure from Western, predominantly white nations creates an environment where colonized peoples feel like they have to fight each other for resources or support.

They didn't need our help in that department.

by Anonymousreply 42November 25, 2022 4:17 AM

This discussion of "colonization" only focuses on the 1600-1900s and exclusively chooses to focus on white Europeans. The wokesters refuse to acknowledge that this shit has gone on for thousands of years and crosses all races, all over the world. But that would be too nuanced a conversation for the whitey=bad brigade.

by Anonymousreply 43November 25, 2022 4:29 AM

Olvídate de esos idiotas.

Simple translation: FUCK THEM!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 25, 2022 4:36 AM

Hollywood is demonic.

by Anonymousreply 45November 25, 2022 4:40 AM

R41

Uh, it’s true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 25, 2022 5:14 AM

Learn some basic math R46.

Just because blacks on average watch the most versus other groups, given that they are still only 13% of the population their overall consumption is part of the pie is likely to still be less than whites. The author, conveniently left out a chart of total hours, consumed by everyone and chose to focus on averages.

It would be like saying billionaires buy way more cars than anybody else so they “lead in car consumption“ yet the majority of cars in the United States are still bought by people making under $100,000.

by Anonymousreply 47November 25, 2022 3:58 PM

R46 no it's very false. R47 Thanks for injecting reality into the mix. The number one show on TV ,Yellowstone,has very scant black representation. There is much more Native American presence on that show on a regular basis. Shock of all shocks it is the Number 1 show. With R46's logic that wouldn't be possible.

by Anonymousreply 48November 26, 2022 10:27 AM

🍆

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 26, 2022 12:01 PM

R25 under those assumptions no one is indigenous to any continent except Africa. Everyone migrated. Whites migrating to this continent after others had been here for thousands of years and displacing them is different than Native Americans moving into an empty continent.

by Anonymousreply 50November 26, 2022 12:57 PM

But it was ok for Native Americans from one tribe to war with, kill and “displace” other tribes. Simply because they both were “non-white?” That’s the logic?

by Anonymousreply 51November 26, 2022 6:29 PM

Yes r51 that is the "logic" for those who have decided only whitey does awful things

by Anonymousreply 52November 28, 2022 9:52 PM

He's hot and racism against dark skinned people is real. It's not even a secret in places like Mexico and Asia. But why should it be Hollywood's job, a place founded mainly by white Jewish men, to show diversity? If Hollywood wants to show dark skinned actors in their movies, like they did with Wakanda Forever, than I appreciate it as it does lend authenticity to a movie when an actor actually looks like the character they are supposed to portray.

But if they don't want to, that's their prerogative as well.

by Anonymousreply 53November 28, 2022 10:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!