Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

All The Beauty And The Bloodshed

As a huge Nan Goldin fan here, this looks really good. It's supposed to come out today, but I haven't found anywhere to stream it just yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2023 8:42 AM

I'm in for this.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2022 10:28 AM

Just watched this. People may have some idea that this is about the opioid crisis. It is not. It is a portrait of the artist, Nan Goldin, which includes her present activism against the Sackler family on her own turf - the art world.

Viewers who are unfamiliar with Goldin’s work have the most to gain from watching this; for the rest of us, it’s a great reminder of what is now a lost world - NYC in the ‘80s. Goldin’s work will always remain an important document of that time and she easily stirs the emotion and anger of the time. The footage of David Wojnarowicz is particularly valuable.

It’s not an easy sit but as a portrait of this artist, it’s a terrific film. Just don’t expect a doc about the opioid crisis.

by Anonymousreply 2March 6, 2023 8:31 PM

[quote]Just don’t expect a doc about the opioid crisis.

Thank God. Enough already.

by Anonymousreply 3March 6, 2023 8:52 PM

I watched this tonight and it was wonderful. Huge Nan Goldin fan, but I hadn't known that about her sister. What a powerful film. The scenes of the AIDS activists had me crying.

by Anonymousreply 4March 20, 2023 4:30 AM

I agree, R6. This film really brought it all back. People who weren’t there, don’t know. This was like finding a diary that proved it all actually happened.

by Anonymousreply 5March 20, 2023 12:24 PM

This was an outstanding documentary. I am almost 44 and have lived a pretty solitary life- sex partners fit on one hand- but sometimes I am glad that I did not act on my desires, as I might not still be here. And at the same time, you see a film like this- about folks who really LIVED bravely and EXPRESSED themselves- "and it makes you wonder.

I had heard of Nan Goldin once in my life- On Sx feet Under, when art Student Claire mentioned Nan Goldin- as "FUCKING NAN GOLDIN"- never forgot that line.

Now I am a Nan Goldin fan and researching her works and her life.

The ending with her parents was very moving to me. Extremely. About lessons learned too late.

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2023 1:40 AM

It was a fantastic documentary, I was so moved by the AIDS segment.

by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2023 1:33 AM

NYC in the 80s was fucking nuts.

by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2023 1:44 AM

It’s on HBO Max.

by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2023 3:05 AM

NYC in the ‘80s was the last great era of that city. For various reasons, NYC has lost the vitality, edge and uniqueness it had been known for, for so long.

It used to be a place where everyone on the island “lived large” and proudly held themselves in high esteem either because of what they were doing or what they were going to do.

Then by the mid to late ‘90s as opportunity waned for the ambitious youth that came there, rather than changing the world, you mostly saw them lying on the floor in front of magazine racks at Barnes & Noble, reading magazines they were too poor to afford. New Yorkers hate the phrase but the city had a visible under class for decades.

And, of course, the city has faced immeasurable tragedy in this century but it’s really the ultra capitalism from which it will never recover. It used to be known for a lot more than just tall buildings and a shitty subway system.

by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2023 8:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!