Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Thanksgiving: what are you preparing, serving, bring and eating?

What is your Thanksgiving menu?

by Anonymousreply 62November 25, 2022 12:14 AM

Tonight, I have to wash the celery for the stuffing. I am preparing stuffing.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2022 1:48 AM

I'm the cook. Vegetarian, but pretty traditional. The star of the meal is a stuffing casserole (i.e. stuffing not baked in a turkey). Mashed potatoes and (mushroom) graxy . Asparagus with Hollandaise, corn, cranberry relish (with orange and walnuts), and buttered rolls -followed by pumpkin and pecan pies. Everything made from scratch. Lots and lots of butter. Almost exactly the meal I grew up eating.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2022 2:16 AM

[r2], sounds delicious. I would love your mushroom gravy recipe?

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2022 2:45 AM

I'm going to be making a few loaves of Banana bread from scratch for the first time tomorrow. I'll be working from one of the more simple recipes on YouTube. Any advice or anything I should know first? I don't bake.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2022 3:05 AM

Bringing booze.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2022 3:07 AM

Called out of family Thanksgiving for the first time ever and very happy about it. I think I'm going to order Chinese food.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2022 3:11 AM

R5 me too. I am bringing the alcohol and a tasteful centerpiece arrangement.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2022 3:14 AM

It's just me and my partner. We have no space presently, so cooking a pre-seasoned pork tenderloin. Nothing fancy, couple of simple sides. Made cranberry sauce for the first time and it was laughingly simple to make.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2022 3:15 AM

Reply 4, walnuts are great in banana bread. Cooking Light had an amazing recipe, years ago, which included rum, coconut and lime. Basically, you can forego the rum. Just add some lime zest to the batter and top the baked bread with a glaze. Glaze is butter/margarine, brown sugar, coconut flakes, walnut and lime juice. It's better than any Starbucks quick breads.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2022 3:20 AM

R4, use over-ripe bananas if you can. Black and nasty. Lots of walnuts are a must! Use real butter -not oil or shortening. And add a shot of brandy to the batter before baking.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2022 3:45 AM

Thank you both.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2022 3:47 AM

I baked my first banana bread a few weeks ago. I added pecans and chocolate chips and it turned out great. As for Thanksgiving, I'll probably just go to whatever restaurant is open.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2022 3:51 AM

I make the turkey, chocolate pudding pie, and cheddar-stuffed dinner rolls. The rolls are my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2022 3:54 AM

Please tell us more about cheddar-stuffed dinner rolls!!

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2022 3:58 AM

R14 I use the King Arthur hearth bread recipe that used to be on the bag, with a little more sugar and a pinch of cayenne (well mixed in) for some sweet heat. I cut aged cheddar in good sized cubes and wrap it with the dough. You have to roll it in your hands for a minute so it won't leak, but even if it does it's a very tasty cheese crisp.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2022 4:05 AM

No Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2022 4:08 AM

Sounds good, R15!

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2022 4:11 AM

My father is roasting a 20lb turkey he has brining in honey, lemon, garlic, herbs and a bunch of other stuff. My partner and I are making everything else. For starters a shrimp and crab dip and a wheel of brie en croute (using phyllo) with caramelized apples and slivered almonds. Challah stuffing with sausage, caramelized vegetables and herbs, candied yams with marshmallows, green bean casserole from scratch, mashed potatoes with butter, sour cream and a little cream cheese, mashed rutabaga with brown sugar, garlic and butter, this really fattening and junkie broccoli casserole using canned cream of mushroom soup, mayo, loads of cheddar and fried onions that everyone insists on, cranberry sauce with ginger and orange zest (plus a few cans of the jellied stuff some insist on), homemade parker house rolls, and 2 pies, pumpkin and pecan.

Yes, a lot of food, but there will be 20 people to feed.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2022 4:25 AM

Pies - five kinds.

Im worried nobody will make green bean casserole - it’s my favorite guilty-pleasure side dish. Maybe I should make that too.

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2022 4:26 AM

R4, this is the perfect banana bread recipe. Use very ripe bananas. I add pecans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2022 4:29 AM

Thank you, Sierragirl! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

-R4

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2022 12:25 PM

I expected Greg to OP this thread.

And then provide all the replies.

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2022 12:48 PM

We are having turkey, braised turnip greens with diced turnips, roasted parsnips, Williams Sonoma sausage leek stuffing, cranberry sauce that gets flavored with salt cured shallot and some orange, and I’m torn between making Parker House rolls or King Arthur refrigerator rolls, which I need to make immediately to let them rest in the fridge overnight.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2022 2:39 PM

bringing onion stuffing to one dinner, bringing a pie to another

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2022 2:40 PM

Our group is having a roasted turkey, stuffing (not in the turkey), green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, chicken noodles that go over the mashed potatoes (we're not fat and it's a family tradition thing), Parker House rolls, cranberry sauce and pecan pie. And a lot of wine throughout the day.

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2022 3:17 PM

I'm curious, does anyone still stuff their turkey? I can't imagine doing it any other way, but loads of people have given up for one reason or another. If you're faking it, what is your reason?

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2022 4:08 PM

Not faking it, R26 -just vegetarian.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2022 4:09 PM

So then, really R26, your just eating flavored bread?

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2022 4:12 PM

That's what stuffing is, honey. I hate to be the one to break this to you at your age...

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2022 5:46 PM

"chicken noodles that go over the mashed potatoes"

R25 Are you Mennonite/PA Dutch?

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2022 6:08 PM

I am a guest. I am bringing a hostess gift- nice silicone coated oven mitts, some expensive local chocolate and a hand blown glass dog Christmas ornament. And my best behavior.

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2022 6:28 PM

I’m picking up a traditional turkey dinner for four from a restaurant. There will be three of us but I ordered extra for leftovers. I did this last year and I may never cook a turkey again unless I have a big crowd.

When I did cook the whole dinner I would stuff the cavity but serve stuffing that was baked in the oven alongside the bird. I’d mix in some of the pan drippings before making gravy.

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2022 6:37 PM

Boston Market. I know. I know.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2022 6:45 PM

If anyone is on Cape Cod and struggling, this restaurant is serving free Thanksgiving dinners. They will even drop off to anyone who can’t get to them. Class move on restaurant owner’s part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2022 6:58 PM

Inject the b-b-breastesses with white wine before roasting!

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2022 7:59 PM

Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and collard greens. Dessert is a chocolate hot fudge cake with chocolate hot fudge frosting.

On friday afternoon, it is tradition that I will indulge my inner fat whore by stripping one of the turkey thighs of all its stringy meat and heating it up on the stove submerged in a cup and a half of semi watery turkey gravy. I will then pour this over a great mound of left over mashed potatoes and enjoy every mouthful!

Happy Thanksgiving DL 🦃

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2022 8:34 PM

My hostess gift will be hand blown as well, R31, though different after my own fashion.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2022 11:10 PM

R30, no, non-practicing Catholic here. But, my aunt/uncle own farm/land in NE MO surrounded by Amish farms. My aunt makes noodles that rival those of the Amish and she sends me several packages this time of year and then I take it from there in preparation of the rest.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2022 11:14 PM

Breakfast casserole with pork, chorizo, mushrooms, spinach, bell peppers, onions, etc. I make it every year - not because it is that great (though it is pretty good), but I am just more of a breakfast person.

Smoked turkey (which my parents bought, we did not attempt to smoke it ourselves). We just have to warm it up.

Dressing (bread, celery, onions, hamburger, spices - I don't make it)

Corn (which ... is fine bu sigh)

Green bean casserole (which is the other thing I make). I don't get super fancy. Just use the Campbell soup and green beans (and fried onions). I love it so I bring it.

Mashed potatoes.

Apple and pumpkin pie.

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2022 11:21 PM

DLers, do any of you remember a viral Thanksgiving guest dish checklist, where the host was dictating the correct serve ware to bring, pounds of mashed potatoes, etc, for each guest’s contribution? I probably saw it linked or transcribed here a few years ago and can’t find it through google.

by Anonymousreply 40November 24, 2022 12:32 AM

#26, fat. Stuffing from turkey is so much better tasting, but also much more fattening.

by Anonymousreply 41November 24, 2022 12:41 AM

Spinach and artichoke dip, hummus, crackers.

Spindrift half lemonade/half iced teas for beverages.

Ham, potatoes with gravy, macaroni and cheese, stuffing, broccoli, rolls.

Pumpkin pie, whipped cream.

I'm not fat but I certainly type that way.

by Anonymousreply 42November 24, 2022 1:27 AM

I am trying to make stuffing/dressing. The flavor is right, but not the texture.

I took it out of the oven, let it cool off and put it in the frig.

I going to have to fix it tomorrow some way.

What do you think, use chicken both and butter tomorrow and bake again for 15 minutes?

by Anonymousreply 43November 24, 2022 2:14 AM

R43 I tried homemade stuffing before and had the same texture problems. It's my favorite side, but Stouffer's is good enough and infinitely easier.

by Anonymousreply 44November 24, 2022 2:59 AM

My brother and I will be celebrating Thanksgiving by ourselves. But for perhaps the past twelve to fifteen years, I've been making select holiday dishes for my best friend and his family. I used to attend these gatherings, but have stayed home for the last four or five years, mostly due to health problems (I have extreme Type 2 diabetes, and when it's time for me to inject and go lay down for the day, that has to happen, and it cannot really happen at someone else's house). I still make the dishes, and my best friend (or sometimes his parents) come pick them up and take them to wherever they're holding the meal. A week or so ago, I already bought them a couple of boneless oven-roasted turkeys and a sliced ham, and sent that over to them to prepare, and also some King's Hawaiian rolls.

Today I made:

▪ Buttermilk Chess Pie

▪ 2 Deep-Dish Coconut Cream Pies

a batch of the special cornbread that will form the basis for the dressing tomorrow

Tomorrow morning I've got to make

▪ Dressing

▪ Peas and Pearl Onions in White Sauce

▪ Mormon Funeral Potatoes

▪ Gravy

It all needs to be ready to send by 12 noon. My itinerary of dishes to send is somewhat lighter this year; my best friend's wife is making their Green Bean Casserole. I can do without it, but my brother insists on having it, so I'll probably make a small batch on Friday. My brother and I don't like turkey, so today I went to Chicken Express and got some tenders and double okra to add to what we're having. They're closed tomorrow, so I got it today. The pan of dressing will be huge, so I will keep part of that, as well as some of the peas, but the rest of it is going to them.

by Anonymousreply 45November 24, 2022 3:18 AM

Not a thing! Outside of Data Lounge, I wouldn't know it was Thanksgiving as I don't live in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 46November 24, 2022 3:22 AM

Simple dinner for one:

Roast duck

Mashed garlic potatoes w/gravy

Glazed candied carrots (instead of sweet potatoes)

by Anonymousreply 47November 24, 2022 3:25 AM

For R4 and the banana bread:

Use very ripe bananas, even overripe.

Lightly butter the bottom and sides of the baking pan(s) and then sprinkle a tiny amount of flour in, shake it to distribute the flour. Alternatively, just use parchment paper on the bottom of the pan.

Mix all the dry ingredients together (flour, salt, baking soda, etc., but not the sugar.) I also put a tiny bit of cinnamon in, you can't really identify it but it improves the overall flavor.

Use butter, not margarine, and soften it carefully in the microwave. Cream together the butter and the sugar. Add in the egg(s) one at a time, and a teaspoon of vanilla even if your recipe doesn't ask for vanilla. Make sure all this is smooth and completely mixed.

At that point peel the bananas, mash them and add them in. Wait until then to do this, so that the bananas don't turn brown.

Finally, add the dry ingredient mixture. Do not mix too long, as the result will be a tough bread. Mix only to the point where the ingredients are mixed, and stop there. Don't overmix. Pour into the pans and level off so it's evenly distributed.

It will take about one hour to bake, usually at 350 degrees. Do whatever your recipe states. Take it out of the oven and test by inserting a toothpick into the center and pulling it out. If it comes out clean, it's done. If it comes out with anything on it, put the pan back in the oven for 10 more minutes.

Use a plastic knife (like kids' cutlery) to loosen the sides of the loaf from the pan. Allow to cool for one hour before removing from the pan.

by Anonymousreply 48November 24, 2022 3:44 AM

My sister is doing Thanksgiving this year. She's fixing cinnamon rolls and uncured bacon for breakfast, so we can gorge ourselves and drink coffee and sit around making fun of the parades. We grew up having an afternoon dinner and this year is no different. Rib roast, cornbread dressing, and blanched green beans. Chess pie for dessert. We're going to watch a bunch of movies tomorrow and not do a single lick of work other than loading the dishwasher. I can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 49November 24, 2022 4:01 AM

Caesar salad, Butternut squash/leek souffle, mashed potatoes and cornbread dressing with mushroom gravy, sauteed spinach, eggnog ice cream with ginger snaps for dessert.

I'm not vegetarian but I got to the grocery store, looked at the turkeys and I just couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 50November 24, 2022 4:12 AM

that all sounds delicious r50!

by Anonymousreply 51November 24, 2022 4:13 AM

For the vegetarians, what is your entree? I see a lot of sides.

by Anonymousreply 52November 24, 2022 4:21 AM

The squash souffle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 24, 2022 4:29 AM

Fixed the texture of my dressing, on a small batch. Now, the flavor is diluted. Tomorrow, I will sauté some mushrooms, garlic and parsley to place on top,

How did I save the dressing texture? I gently folded in a whipped raw egg. I baked for 20 minutes with foil. Then, 10 minutes for the crispy bits.

by Anonymousreply 54November 24, 2022 4:44 AM

This will be the worst Thanksgiving ever! My mother & I are recuperating from Covid & I have a sinus infection. My sister has to work just like last year, when we had Thanksgiving on Black Friday, which we were also doing this year until Covid hit. And my sister won’t come over with her family until December, she’s had Covid too many times, is only 1x vaxed, & just recuperated from bronchitis.

So the turkey is staying in the freezer until Xmas, & tomorrow we’re having Marie Callender turkey tv dinners. Mom has no sense of taste or smell, & my appetite’s lousy.

I guess the silver lining is that I don’t have to steam the carpets for another month.

by Anonymousreply 55November 24, 2022 4:53 AM

I hope your Mom and you feel better, And your sister has some fun and is safe

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

by Anonymousreply 56November 24, 2022 5:09 AM

Staying inside preparing the feast and avoiding stray bullets. Ahh Thanksgiving in Chicago!!!!

by Anonymousreply 57November 24, 2022 5:33 AM

Recovering from a horrible surgery and am alone. this year. Long-distance partner can't be here. Am surrounded by wonderful friends and neighbors, but am too messed up to see them. Will miss Friendsgiving this year (all of us still weary of COVID, anyway). Can't really hold food down and it's hard to move, but had grocery delivery and am hoping to have the energy to cook anyway, just to not feel depressed, as I love the flavors of Thanksgiving. OK, so I hate meat, but love the smell of a baked bird, and really only like the stuffing, graxy, and green beans.

Stuffed Cornish game hen, sort of per Ina Garten on YouTube, but with boxed stuffing spiked with my own sauteed onions, celery, and shrooms. A box of mushroom gravy from Whole Foods. Going to microwave a potato and smother it with butter and gravy. I have a package of fresh, trimmed green beans. Might just boil them in chicken broth, squeeze on some lemon, S&P, and olive oil, and call it a day. Love me some green beans. Canned biscuits. Probably a chilled Pinot Gris. Nine medications, only one of them festively opiate. Have a box of puff pastry, basket of blueberries, and cream cheese. Might try to make some tarts. Or not. Main goal tomorrow is to bathe and shave for the first time in a few days and will be thankful for that. The meal can wait. Am grateful to have not needed to travel to a large, toxic family gathering for 15 years:)

Wishing everyone a great time, regardless of your social situation, food resources, or culinary skills.

by Anonymousreply 58November 24, 2022 6:51 AM

Yum...the post earlier with the Youtube video for Flour Bakery Cafe here in the Boston area is worth it if it comes out as good as the bakery's in-store version.

It truly is very good and a moist banana bread at Flour. I have have been buying a slice at Flour several times a year for years. They have several spots in Boston and Cambridge, and three cookbooks.

But is a homemade version ever really as good as just buying it at the original place?

by Anonymousreply 59November 24, 2022 7:51 AM

r59, but how does it compare with Kane's donuts in Saugus?

by Anonymousreply 60November 24, 2022 1:28 PM

We cooked a whole 15 lb. turkey yesterday. Found one for $14 at the grocery store. We have tons of turkey meat. We already used some by making a turkey pot pie with vegetables in it. I made the whole wheat crust for it. We also made gravy and stuffing this morning.

That's all we're doing, because the lady who owns the bar in this little town cooks an elaborate Thanksgiving dinner, and gives it out free of charge, and even drlivers to seniors who can't make it there. I'm going to pick up ours at 11:30 and I will hand her $20.

So we're set for Thanksgiving and we've already cleaned up the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 61November 24, 2022 5:04 PM

Vegetarian dinner went well. Turkey not missed.

by Anonymousreply 62November 25, 2022 12:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!