Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James Cameron Says Leonardo DiCaprio Nearly Lost Titanic Role Over His Attitude in Audition

Leonardo DiCaprio came close to never playing his arguably most famous and iconic character when he somewhat butted heads with James Cameron during the audition process for Titanic.

In a video career retrospective for GQ published Tuesday, the Oscar-winning filmmaker spent a good portion of time talking about his 1997 historical drama epic, which for a span of years was the top-grossing film of all time.

Beyond his initial consideration of rebuilding the entire doomed ship (which launched in 1911 and sank on April 15, 1912), and his liking for Gwyneth Paltrow in the role of Rose before he met Kate Winslet, Cameron spilled on casting DiCaprio as Jack, which almost fell apart over the actor's poor attitude during auditions.

"There was a meeting with Leo and then there was a screen test with Leo," Cameron said, setting the scene. "The meeting was funny because I am sitting in my conference room, waiting to meet an actor. And I look around, and all the women in the entire office are in the meeting. They all wanted to meet Leo. It was hysterical."

The filmmaker said the first meeting went well and DiCaprio "charmed everybody" so he was asked back for a read with Winslet, who had already been cast. It did not go as smoothly. At least, not at first.

"So he came back a couple of days later, and I had the camera set up to record the video," Cameron recalled. "He didn't know he was going to test. He thought it was another meeting to meet Kate. So I said, 'Okay, we'll just go in the next room, and we'll run some lines and I'll video it.' And he said, 'You mean, I'm reading?' I said, 'Yeah.' He said, 'Oh, I don't read.' I shook his hand and said, 'Thanks for coming by.' And he said, 'Wait, wait, wait. If I don't read, I don't get the part? Just like that?' And I said, 'Oh, yeah. Come on. This is a giant movie that is going to take two years of my life, and you'll be gone doing five other things while I'm doing post-production. So, I'm not going to f--- it up by making the wrong decision in casting. So, you're going to read, or you're not going to get the part.'"

DiCaprio reluctantly agreed to read and was indignant until the camera was rolling, Cameron claimed.

"So he comes in, and he's like every ounce of his entire being is just so negative — right up until I said, 'Action.' Then he turned into Jack," the director explained. "Kate just lit up, and they played the scene. Dark clouds had opened up, and a ray of sun came down and lit up Jack. I'm like, 'All right. He's the guy.'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114December 6, 2022 1:07 AM

Man, Leo's aged poorly. But sounds like he always had the same douchey, entitled attitude.

by Anonymousreply 1November 23, 2022 12:28 AM

I was all about Titanic, long before the film. In the sixties my Mom found some old newspapers that were being used as wall insutlation. One paper had Lincoln's assassination as the headline and the other, Titanic's sinking. Mom framed them and hung them in the dining room.

I loved the film, but didn't like DiCaprio as Jack. Too, effeminate for the role. Found him to be the same in OUATIH, like a kid playing an adult. Great actor, though.

by Anonymousreply 2November 23, 2022 1:04 AM

Maybe Leo greatly studied and aspired to Robert Wagner’s kind of similar role and douchey approach to it, in the early ‘50s film version of the disaster starring Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck..

by Anonymousreply 3November 23, 2022 1:59 AM

r1, I can personally attest to the douchey, entitled attitude. I've written about him before. I worked at an event where he was a guest. He was not the guest of honor, but he acted like the room was his and he treated the staff rudely.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2022 2:05 AM

I didn’t realize the ship launched in 1911. What did it do, sit in the dock until April 1912?

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2022 2:05 AM

James Cameron was a notorious asshole who bullied Kate Winslet about her weight, so.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2022 2:10 AM

Leo was an asshole to Kate about her weight, too. She used to give interviews telling these stories and making them sound like it was just how wacky and fun Leo was, but they all made him sound like an asshole. She'd try to chat with him and he'd either ignore her or insult her, once someone mentioned it was her birthday and he said "I don't care," like he was irritated that he even had to think about another person for one moment.

by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2022 2:15 AM

Prior to Titanic, his career wasn't worthy enough to act entitled about.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2022 2:17 AM

What do you mean? He had Growing Pains, a top 10 hit.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2022 2:19 AM

LOL, he looks 12 years old in the OP.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2022 2:20 AM

R7 Not according to Kate.

In a previous interview with Oprah Winfrey, Kate recalled Leo making a comment about her body while filming "Titanic" that really stuck with her.

“'It’s really important that you are the shape that you are,'” Kate recalled him saying, "'Because there are so many skinny girls out there who think that to be successful and to be beautiful and therefore be loved and respected it means you have to be thin.'"

"And this really kind of struck a chord with me," she explained. "I thought, 'He's really right actually.'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2022 2:21 AM

I never found him appealing as Jack but I am SO GLAD Paltrow wasn’t cast as Rose.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2022 2:22 AM

And then Kate turned the tables, saying Leo got fatter while she got thinner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2022 2:23 AM

Leo seems to have always been an entitled asshole.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2022 2:23 AM

I never bought the Winslet/DiCaprio friendship. She is like the girl who tries too hard, while he is indifferent to her.

I thought they made an odd pairing in Titanic and didn’t buy them as some great love story.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2022 2:23 AM

Hint of mint.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2022 2:24 AM

No one involved in this movie are saints. Kate praised and worked with Woody Allen and Roman Polanski and only expressed regrets after the backlash she got.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2022 2:24 AM

I thought Leo was debating between doing Boogie Nights and Titanic. It may explain the rude audition.

by Anonymousreply 18November 23, 2022 2:26 AM

After reading Kate's story at r11 I'm calling basically everything she's ever said into question, because that doesn't sound even remotely like Leonardo DiCaprio. Does it to you? Would YOU expect him to say anything like that? It sounds like something written by a relatively inexperienced PR agent.

Is Kate Winslet one of those people who just tells random stories that may or may not be true?

by Anonymousreply 19November 23, 2022 2:28 AM

Kate is always talking about her weight. If he also bullied her about her weight I think she would’ve spoken up about it.

by Anonymousreply 20November 23, 2022 2:31 AM

Isn't Cameron an arrogant ass? Leo probably sensed that right away.

I still think Cameron produced an inferior film. The script sucked, the dialogue sucked and he spent a fortune on production and barely showed a d=few seconds of what should have been interesting historical details.

I thought it was Leo who should have had the Oscar nomination and not Winslet.

by Anonymousreply 21November 23, 2022 2:32 AM

We get it, Leo is an asshole and aged poorly. How many more threads can there be rehashing this?

by Anonymousreply 22November 23, 2022 2:32 AM

R8 Huh? He had an Oscar nomination for “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape” at 19 and he had just had a box office hit with “Romeo and Juliet”, which is most likely what lead him to landing “Titanic”.

“Titanic” was not his breakout, it’s what rocketed him to super stardom.

by Anonymousreply 23November 23, 2022 2:36 AM

[quote]We get it, Leo is an asshole and aged poorly. How many more threads can there be rehashing this?

He was NEVER going to age well with his facial structure. Cute child actors never do.

by Anonymousreply 24November 23, 2022 2:37 AM

Or it was a line to get down her pants, r11

by Anonymousreply 25November 23, 2022 2:38 AM

If you watched interviews of him when young and read anecdotes. You'd realize he was always a cocky and pretentious spoiled brat. He has not matured at all. Neither do any of the other LA kids all grown up like RDJ, Charlie Sheen and Sean Penn, all still spoiled assholes.

by Anonymousreply 26November 23, 2022 2:39 AM

She said he did make a comment about her weight, which is why she took a dig at HIS weight years later, I guess in 2012. She also said he was "smelly and farty." She wasn't that nice about Leo once she didn't have to go around publicizing Titanic anymore, although I've noticed that in the last two or three years, she's talked a lot about how they're great friends with a "telepathic" connection.

I spent about 5 minutes looking up old articles (couldn't find anything older than 2012 and am not willing to spend more time on this) and I have to say I had no idea Kate Winslet was such a nutjob. Girl is straight-up weird.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2022 2:41 AM

Maybe the love story would have been better had someone else played Jack. Jack was a douche in the movie too. The ship showed more emotion.

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2022 2:42 AM

R24 I don’t think he cares about being attractive. He purposefully let himself go. Joaquin Phoenix was also hot in the 90’s and let himself go.

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2022 2:43 AM

I still don't understand why Rose didn't just give Jack more space on that piece of wood to save his life.

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2022 2:45 AM

R30 It stays on par with reality. Women don’t rescue their men in crisis or chaos. They do rescue children though (Terminator 2, Aliens).

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2022 2:52 AM

What good does rescuing children do? The very first scene in the sequel shows them cutting up the child.

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2022 3:01 AM

It just goes to show that cis white women are selfish. Nothing can inconvenience a cishet Karen, even if it meant saving someone’s life.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2022 3:02 AM

I didn’t understand the appeal of this little cunt in 1998, and I still don’t today.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2022 3:20 AM

He does have charisma, the "it factor", I can't deny that. I don't really find physically attractive in any conventionally sense but I can see moments of raw sex appeal like in Total Eclipse, Blood Diamond and Shutter Island where I'd fuck those versions of him.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2022 3:22 AM

How he has managed to hold onto his leading man career for so long is beyond me. He's got a fat body, pumpkin head and face, and has zero chemistry with every actress.

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2022 3:25 AM

Leo was okay but Kate made that film.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2022 3:26 AM

I thought he was a better actor in his younger roles. After Titanic he went sort of downhill for me. Though I did like him in The Departed.

As much as I miss movie stars, I kind of like watching movies where I don’t know the actresses and actors.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2022 3:27 AM

I thought he had nice chemistry with Claire Danes, Kate Winslet, Amy Adams, Cate Blanchett and Kate Beckinsale, and Vera Farmiga.

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2022 3:27 AM

And also Margot Robbie.

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2022 3:27 AM

Kate Winslet’s career is more concerning. She lucked out with Mildred Pierce and Mare of Easttown because her filmography in the last decade isn’t very impressive.

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2022 3:29 AM

R39 I give up. Not gonna participate in these threads anymore. Go on about how overrated, fat, and ugly he is. Say what you want about his personal life, but I’ll always be a fan of Leo’s acting.

by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2022 3:32 AM

I think once you reach that level of superstardom that is Titanic, it makes you complacent and lazy. Because no matter what you do, roles are offered your way and praise is given automatically. He never needed to improve because he's coddled by the industry and audiences just love him. He does have natural charm and charisma on screen and that helps a lot even if the performance is limited. He's an old school movie star that has everything manufactured, all of his relationships are curated and he calls the paps to take shots. We know little to nothing about what goes on and he gives interviews only once in a while. That air of mystery helps his brand. Beyonce and Harry Styles probably copied his playbook.

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2022 3:33 AM

[quote]Huh? He had an Oscar nomination for “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape” at 19 and he had just had a box office hit with “Romeo and Juliet”, which is most likely what lead him to landing “Titanic”.

Titanic was well into production when R+J was released, but I agree that DiCaprio had had about as good a career prior to Titanic as an actor in his early twenties could have. He'd also held his own opposite De Niro in This Boy's Life, and within a prestigious ensemble (including Streep as his mother) in Marvin's Room.

by Anonymousreply 44November 23, 2022 3:42 AM

Star

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 23, 2022 3:42 AM

One thing that I think would have helped the film a bit is portraying it as a bit of an age gap ( as the kids say now) romance . Say that Rose was a 20 something and Jack was a bit younger would have made more sense.

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2022 4:00 AM

Leo just looked younger than his age. I believe he's older than Kate by a year. He looked twelve in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and he looked sixteen in Titanic. He didn't start looking like a man until maybe Blood Diamond and The Departed. I do agree maybe writing Jack as younger and Rose as older would have made even more interesting tension than the class lines. I mean honestly, I never believed Rose would have married Jack to give up her wealth and privilege especially in the early 20th century when women had little options.

Another overlooked performance by Leo was The Kid in The Quick and The Dead, very underrated film by Sam Raimi. He was perfect for that role and was sympathetic. He is great at cocky and boyish but vulnerable deep down.

by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2022 4:06 AM

I hate Titanic- really wanted to walk out of the cinema but was with people. Winslet looked like Leo’s maiden aunt.

He has been great in some roles that are all charisma- still love Catch Me If You Can and watch it whenever it happens to be on. He’s not exactly a Serious Actor.

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2022 4:09 AM

Titanic had great visuals and was a spectacle treat. I don't think James Cameron is a good writer. I didn't care about most of the characters but I loved the sequence of the ship crashing and sinking. It's always my favorite part. I really can't stand My Heart Will Go On though. It's such an emotionally manipulative song created in a lab and it's devoid of any real feeling. Celine is very robotic.

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2022 4:13 AM

[quote] He's got a fat body, pumpkin head and face, and has zero chemistry with every actress.

He had a lot of chemistry with David Thewlis in "Total Eclipse."

Lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2022 4:21 AM

Leo was extremely seductive and wonderfully bi in Total Eclipse. He plays such boring straight roles now where he has no chemistry with any of the female co-stars.

by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2022 4:24 AM

[quote]I never bought the Winslet/DiCaprio friendship. She is like the girl who tries too hard, while he is indifferent to her.

Me neither. I mean, he couldn't even be bothered to attend the 1998 Oscars, despite his "BFF" being nominated as Best Actress for the film they'd just starred in together. I vaguely recall reading at the time that he had to undergo surgery on his knee that day, but years later it was revealed that he actually partied with a shady guy named Dana Giachetti or Giachetto (who went to prison for fraud a couple years later) and a bunch on models.

Could he make it anymore obvious that he didn't give a shit about his "friend"?

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2022 4:26 AM

[quote]Hint of mint.

More like a barrel of mint. Leo is such a closet case.

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2022 4:26 AM

R47 I always believed that it would have been more believable for Rose to be a very frustrated and unhappily married woman in her early to mid 20s who has an affair with an 18/19 year old. Not only did DiCaprio look unusually young, everything about Winslet seemed like a woman, not an inexperienced 17 year old girl.

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2022 4:31 AM

James Cameron could have saved the world from Leo diCaprio? And didn't? I knew he was a shitty director, but not that he had unleashed that talentless fury upon us.

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2022 5:13 AM

What other actors auditioned?

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2022 5:33 AM

Jeremy Sisto did

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2022 5:42 AM

I was just about to mention Sisto. Jared Leto might have had the role if he had agreed to audition, but he wouldn't, and thus was crossed off the list. Matthew McConaughey, Chris O'Donnell, Billy Crudup, and Stephen Dorff were all considered, per the Wiki entry.

However, as others have noted above, DiCaprio was having a busy career before Titanic, and he would have continued to have one if he had missed out on Titanic. Look at Cameron's quote above: "You'll be gone doing five other things while I'm doing post-production." That's not something you say to an actor to whom you're giving the big break. It's what you say to someone who's already in high demand.

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2022 5:44 AM

Jeremy Sisto’s fat uncut cock would have been great aboard the Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2022 5:57 AM

Sisto looked too simian for the role.

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2022 5:58 AM

R2 I agree, with your last point. he never seems like a man to me in his roles. And I do not think that is because I knew him as a young actor, I loved him in Marvins Room, but saw little of his early work. I find him thin as an actor. The bear rape film had me in stitches, it was so stupid, and he was awful. And as a fan of the original Infernal Affairs, (utterly brilliant, seek it out), I found the remake pitiful.

I also thought Kate Winslet carried the boat film on her back. She was so good.

by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2022 6:30 AM

[quote] his liking for Gwyneth Paltrow in the role of Rose before he met Kate Winslet

How mad is she that he met Kate Winslet? “If he had never met that bitch that day, that role would’ve been mine!”

by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2022 6:33 AM

R42 Did she make Sliding Doors instead?

by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2022 6:38 AM

Miss R42 has stated her boundaries.

I remember Leo in "Gilbert Grape," and he was excellent, but other than that, I haven't seen many of his films. I don't particularly like him.

R49, I agree with you. The "love story" is weak, and I didn't care about any of the fictional characters. I cried when the ship sank, though.

by Anonymousreply 64November 23, 2022 7:19 AM

r45 Now that's what I call a punchable face.

by Anonymousreply 65November 23, 2022 7:32 AM

Long story short, Leo was asked to read but Leo said he didn't read for parts. Director explained it was necessary. Leo was pissed. Then he read brilliantly.

LE SNORE.

by Anonymousreply 66November 23, 2022 7:51 AM

Physiognomy-wise, they were comically unsuited together. Size-non-complementary. She looked like the Titanic with this little rowboat floating around her. Like Margaret Dumont and Groucho on deck in "A "Night at the Opera." And Two Hard-Boiled Eggs!

by Anonymousreply 67November 23, 2022 7:53 AM

R2 Leo has never been effeminate, he just looked very young for his age, like an underage boy and he had beautiful, androgynous facial features, that he lost in few years time. In The Departed he got completely masculine face.

His mannerism and energy have not been effeminate, he always had this bad boy "pussy posse" allure. He didn’t even seem effeminate in his only gay role in Total eclipse, he played sadistic young Rimbaud quite convincingly.

by Anonymousreply 68November 23, 2022 8:28 AM

R61 could you queens be any more stupid? You don’t see him as man cause you knew him as young actor? What else, you couldn’t see Cleopatra Liz Taylor as woman, cause you have seen her as 10 yo girl in Lassie. Or your 40 yo nephew, he is not a man cause you held him in your arms as baby?

by Anonymousreply 69November 23, 2022 9:03 AM

No, my 40 yo nephew is not a man because he came out as non-binary. I also saw him get fucked on Chaturbate. He was in the woman’s role.

by Anonymousreply 70November 23, 2022 9:11 AM

Like the uncle, like the nephew R70.

by Anonymousreply 71November 23, 2022 9:16 AM

Uh no, I’m a strict top. All man.

by Anonymousreply 72November 23, 2022 9:28 AM

Leo in Once In A Time.......Masterclass.

by Anonymousreply 73November 23, 2022 9:29 AM

I prefer Jacks sidekick friend over him anytime. Jack is too pretty for my taste. And lacking sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 74November 23, 2022 9:52 AM

What movie, R73?

by Anonymousreply 75November 23, 2022 10:06 AM

R8 and R23

He was also excellent in his film debut, This Boy's Life, which starred Robert De Niro. I'm not excusing entitlement, but he already had a solid record of achievement.

by Anonymousreply 76November 23, 2022 10:11 AM

R51

I've never understood why Total Eclipse isn't more popular. He was wonderful in it. And considering his career, it was a bold move.

by Anonymousreply 77November 23, 2022 10:17 AM

R43

If he didn't have talent and audiences didn't love him any benefit from Titanic would have faded decades ago. There is a reason that actors like Matt Damon and Christian Bale say that DiCaprio gets offered almost every script first.

by Anonymousreply 78November 23, 2022 10:22 AM

[quot][R30] It stays on par with reality. Women don’t rescue their men in crisis or chaos. They do rescue children though (Terminator 2, Aliens).

How do you explain Bonnie Parker? She helped break Clyde Barrow out of jail and then stayed by his side for the next two years throughout various gun battles with the law to the bitter end.

by Anonymousreply 79November 29, 2022 7:38 PM

He looks like Eddie Munster in OPs screen shot

by Anonymousreply 80November 29, 2022 7:41 PM

DiCaprio is the perfect example of the average white male and how overpraised, overvalued and overpaid they are. Not one thing about him is exceptional.

by Anonymousreply 81November 29, 2022 7:44 PM

Nonsense, r81.

by Anonymousreply 82November 29, 2022 7:45 PM

Saying “he almost didn’t get a part he ultimately got” is like saying “she almost didn’t die in that accident in which she died.”

by Anonymousreply 83November 29, 2022 7:49 PM

I don't read for parts and I don't travel by commercial airlines. What's wrong with you people? I'm a star.

by Anonymousreply 84November 29, 2022 7:52 PM

For all of Leo's success, I'm trying to think of one film of his that could be considered a "classic", something that people will still enjoy watching 20-30 years from now. I can't think of one and certainly not Titanic

by Anonymousreply 85November 29, 2022 8:44 PM

R11, don't you hate when idiots lie. You posted facts.

by Anonymousreply 86November 29, 2022 8:47 PM

R85 Romeo + Juliet, Titanic, Catch Me If You Can, The Departed, Inception, The Wolf of Wall Street..

by Anonymousreply 87November 30, 2022 12:14 AM

R87, exactly. He may not be the best actor but has the best filmography of all his peers including Will Smith, Brad Pitt, Bradley Cooper, and Matt Damon.

by Anonymousreply 88November 30, 2022 12:19 AM

Was his attitude because he refused to suck someone's COCK?

by Anonymousreply 89November 30, 2022 12:20 AM

Have never thought Leo was a looker or even sexy at any age. He is a good actor however.

by Anonymousreply 90November 30, 2022 12:26 AM

R77, I agree that Leo was great in Total Eclipse (stunningly beautiful too), but the movie as a whole was kind of depressing and drab imo. All that fighting, back and forth, Verlaine beating up his wife and setting her hair on fire, going back to Rimbaud and then leaving him again ... after a while it I felt like, while do I watch these fucked-up people torture each other?

The film has one of the most beautiful soundtracks ever though, and there is something deeply touching about the closing sequence ...

by Anonymousreply 91November 30, 2022 2:32 AM

The Total Eclipse theatrical trailer is better than the actual movie. I fucking love this trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 30, 2022 2:37 AM

Letting oneself go could be an act of rebellion.

by Anonymousreply 93November 30, 2022 2:46 AM

R30

It wasn't big enough. He does try to climb on it but almost sinks them both.

by Anonymousreply 94December 1, 2022 2:04 PM

He always seemed like an asshole to me. I'm talking about Leonardo, BTW. Petulant brat. It's one of the reasons why he always seems so short. Short angry men are a fact. IN his case, he's a tall angry closeted jackass. Overrated, imho. He needs to take a few years off. He's in too many films, like Tom Hanks.

by Anonymousreply 95December 1, 2022 2:50 PM

I feel like he doesn’t make a lot of films, R95. To me he seems aloof. His interviews, which I think he rarely does, reveal nothing about him. Does the public really know anything about him except that he won’t date anyone over 25?

by Anonymousreply 96December 1, 2022 2:56 PM

Leo looks like a boy in Titanic, Gatsby, and especially the criminally underrated Revolutionary Road. He cannot pass as a romantic lead. He is great in Wolf of Wall Street and The Revenent, which are not romantic leads.

by Anonymousreply 97December 1, 2022 3:29 PM

If he couldn't pass as a romantic lead, Titanic (And Romeo + Juliet) would have been sunk from the start...

by Anonymousreply 98December 1, 2022 3:34 PM

Yeah, but he was still Tiger Beat boy heartthrob in Titanic and R&J. Not an adult male romantic lead.

by Anonymousreply 99December 2, 2022 8:50 AM

I thought he was convincing in The Great Gatsby, it’s just he and Carey Mulligan didn’t have much chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 100December 2, 2022 11:49 AM

r99...exactly...and Romeo is 14, so he fit that role. He's ludicrous as a romantic lead.

by Anonymousreply 101December 2, 2022 3:03 PM

R101

Juliet is 14. Romeo is a few years older.

by Anonymousreply 102December 2, 2022 3:59 PM

He looked like he was playing dress up in Catch Me If You Can.

by Anonymousreply 103December 2, 2022 4:22 PM

That was the point of the movie. He was supposed to be 17.

by Anonymousreply 104December 2, 2022 5:07 PM

Leonardo DiCaprio Walked Kate Winslet Down the Aisle at Ned Rocknroll Wedding

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105December 2, 2022 7:20 PM

He always looks like he is playing dress-up.

by Anonymousreply 106December 3, 2022 12:49 AM

"I'm not going to f--- it up by making the wrong decision in casting."

But you did. The constipated Winslet and the twee Leo had the sexual chemistry of a mother and son.

It's why most people only needed to see it once.

by Anonymousreply 107December 3, 2022 1:22 AM

How many times do I have to say Leo and Billy Zane should have switched roles.

by Anonymousreply 108December 3, 2022 1:25 AM

R107 Obviously they did have chemistry to straight females; it became a the huge box office breaking hit because teens and young women kept going back to see it again and again.

Titanic was not your average box office epic. It made nearly a billion dollars within its first year of release. That was in 1998. Nearly everything you have posted is false.

by Anonymousreply 109December 3, 2022 1:33 AM

Dicaprio couldn't do a Boston accent in The Departed to save his life. Martin Sheen however, had it down.

by Anonymousreply 110December 3, 2022 1:39 AM

Gwyneth lost a plum role because of the machinations of another actress?

‘Scuse me, I’m laughing so hard right now…

by Anonymousreply 111December 5, 2022 12:35 AM

No machinations, Winona, just star power!

by Anonymousreply 112December 5, 2022 2:12 AM

#109, the fact that young women were rubbing their clits over the androgynous Leo means nothing. I really don't remember him in the film, just special f/x.

by Anonymousreply 113December 5, 2022 2:27 AM

He's too bratty and contemporary in Total Eclipse.

River Phoenix had the role until he OD'd. He would have been better and more subtle in the role.

by Anonymousreply 114December 6, 2022 1:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!