Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

59 years ago today, JFK was killed

Let's salt the wound one more time....

Were any of you even alive? I wasn't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 14, 2023 3:27 PM

I really debated that comma in the title with myself and I decided that, yes, it needed a comma.

I'm ready for the Oh, Dears! Hit me with your worst.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2022 9:00 PM

My cousin was born 11/22/63. Can you imagine?

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2022 9:03 PM

R2 Any bad luck? Seems a little omen-esque.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2022 9:03 PM

It’s an elegant comma. Such a rare treat, these days.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2022 9:04 PM

I was absolutely alive, I was 40 years old when this happened.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2022 9:04 PM

R5 I find that a little difficult to believe, because that would make you 99 years old. I don't to be rude to you, though, on the off chance that you actually are 99...

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2022 9:08 PM

Thank you, R4.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2022 9:12 PM

I was in second grade at Catholic school. The Mother Superior announced it over the intercom, and told us to pray for the Kennedy family. And that the school buses were outside ready to take us home early.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2022 9:21 PM

I was 13 years old and in the eighth grade. Everything was very hushed after lunch with our teachers telling us to read and going in and out of the room.

My English teacher in the next to last period of the day was late coming into the room....and she was crying.

During the last period, a girl raised her hand and said to the teacher: "Somebody said the president was shot, is that true?" The science teacher just said: "There's going to be an announcement."

The principal came on the public address system and told us that President Kennedy had been shot and killed in Dallas. School was dismissed for the day......and the basketball game that night was cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2022 9:24 PM

R9 That is remarkably similar to what happened at my school on September 11th. Things really don't change, do they?

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2022 9:25 PM

My mother cried hysterically. The neighborhood all got together to grieve. It was as if the goodness of people died that day too.

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2022 9:27 PM

I just wanted them to get back to my story to find out what that Lisa was up to.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2022 9:27 PM

yep. i was eleven. the whole country was glued to the TV through the whole Thanksgiving weekend. And up thru Jack Ruby shooting Oswald.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2022 9:32 PM

I didn't even think of Thanksgiving.

What was Thanksgiving like that year?

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2022 9:33 PM

I was 10 years old in 1963. The Principal came to our classroom door and motioned for the teacher to come into the hallway. We could see her start crying and she went off with a few other teachers. The Principal came into the classroom to tell us school was closing early and all our parents had been called. It was a small private school in those days and there were no busses so we all had to go outside and wait for someone to come pick us up. That was where I found out Kennedy had been assassinated. When I got home my older sister was in hysterics. There was no entertainment TV for the next 4 days. Every channel just showed the news about Kennedy.

We were watching TV the night they were transferring Lee Harvey Oswald and saw his execution by Jack Ruby live. I remember looking back at my mother and asking "what just happened?". She was stunned and couldn't answer.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2022 9:53 PM

So who actually did it?

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2022 10:02 PM

I was in Junior High and it was a Friday afternoon. We were dismissed after being told the president had been shot. I got on the school bus and my friend had a transistor radio and told me that President Kennedy was dead. It was a terrible time.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2022 10:09 PM

On my 8th birthday, I watched on television Jack Ruby shoot Lee Harvey Oswald.

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2022 10:12 PM

Who did it? Lately the info is getting stronger and stronger that JBJ was in on it.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2022 10:14 PM

The beginning of conservatives killing us… now it’s a free-for-all.

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2022 10:18 PM

I was only 3 months old but my sister was 7. I'm Canadian and we were living in a Toronto suburb. After school my sister spent the afternoon with two other little girls who had just moved in before Labour Day. They were from South Carolina. That night at dinner my sweet, innocent sister asked, "Mommy, what's a Nigger lover"? Knowing she'd just spent the last few hours in the house of those Americans, my furious parents forbade her to ever go near them again.

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2022 10:30 PM

I was 16. My first concern was my cousin, who was in the Secret Service then. He was there, but protecting LBJ and Lady Bird. At the time, we had no idea what the casualties might be, and it was only later that day we knew he was safe. He was a few cars back with the Veep. He rarely talked about his job, and this day was no exception, but he guarded Lady Bird and her daughters for years afterward.

As for the day itself, it was shattering for our family. No family death had the impact that JFK's did.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2022 10:33 PM

And the full story has not been told. Bastards.

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2022 10:36 PM

A few years ago I was watching the 1960s documentary series that Tom Hanks produced and they did a whole segment on JFK and why it was definitely,100% for sure that LHO was the lone gunman. Anyone that thinks otherwise is just crazy.

I've assumed Hanks is CIA ever since.

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2022 11:41 PM

I was 4, and I have a little memory of it. His face being projected on the TV screen at a neighbor's house (I guess when his death was announced) and a little bit of the flag-covered casket.

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2022 11:43 PM

Happy 67th birthday on Thursday, R18.

by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2022 11:47 PM

JFK blown away, what else do I have to say?

by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2022 11:51 PM

JFK was killed 59 years ago today

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2022 11:55 PM

I was also four years old. Our TV was on for the rest of the day after the announcement of the shooting. I do remember Walter Cronkite on the screen.

My mother sobbed during the televised funeral. She didn't even like Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2022 11:55 PM

I was -19 years old.

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2022 12:00 AM

I was almost 2. I sat transfixed and clapped awkwardly when Jackie got off the plane, then wailed and threw my pacifier when my dad said it was time for bed. Probably.

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2022 12:16 AM

I was 5 and 3/4 years old, I was not in school yet, I didn't start school (1st grade) until the following September. I don't remember it. I do remember watching a press conference or speech JFK made about selling wheat to Russia. I also remember decorating the Christmas tree with my mom and her saying it wasn't going to be a happy Christmas that year.

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2022 12:27 AM

* I do remember watching the funeral on TV.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2022 12:28 AM

I remember they sent us home from school.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2022 1:39 AM

Where are these schools that sent everyone home? Public school in California didn't send us home. Our teacher cried a little but that was it. Don't remember much talk about it, maybe because my parents were Republicans. My mom did wake us up to watch the funeral. I felt sorry for the kids, I was 11.

I remember the Cuban missile crisis much more vividly since dear old ma called us to the radio and said we might all be blown up in a few seconds.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2022 1:47 AM

[quote]Where are these schools that sent everyone home?

Aurora CO

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2022 1:49 AM

We were all sent home,but in Michigan, that was only a few hours early.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2022 1:57 AM

Jackie Kennedy privately stated afterward that she believed that Lyndon Johnson had something to do with the death of her husband.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2022 2:06 AM

R38 And she made you promise not to tell until now.

by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2022 2:08 AM

Entre nous, Lyndon told me that Jackie was behind it. The Marilyn/Happy Birthday just pushed her over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2022 2:24 AM

I wasn't alive then, but whoever owned the house I bought left a box full of Dallas Morning News papers, and LIFE magazines from that day, and time period afterwards in the attic. The spot where he was killed is a big tourist draw here in Dallas. I'm surprised no one has been hit by a car yet from trying to take a picture on the X in the road where it happened

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2022 2:26 AM

R35 interesting because the announcement was made at 1pm cst. So your school found out at maybe 11:15. And you weren't sent home. Whereas it seems people on the east coast were all sent home maybe 45 mins early.

by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2022 2:28 AM

My dad died 29 years ago today and he was twice the man JFK was. No philandering, no funny business, no mob ties.

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2022 2:32 AM

Goodness, r41, I just realized that in the nine months I lived in Dallas, I never thought to check that out.

by Anonymousreply 44November 23, 2022 2:33 AM

I was CONVINCED for YEARS that Oswald acted alone, and on behalf of no one. I still think he acted alone, but hearing E. Howard Hunt's confessions have given me pause on the "on behalf of no one" part.

by Anonymousreply 45November 23, 2022 2:34 AM

JFK liked to grab 'em by the pussy, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2022 2:36 AM

R43 you are lucky to have had such a dad.

by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2022 2:37 AM

I'll post again as the impact of hearing the news being announced before a live, large audience is interesting to hear. Just listen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2022 2:41 AM

Judy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2022 2:43 AM

R38 It did happen in Texas. What were George Bush's whereabouts now that you mention it? He wasn't in the motorcade?

by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2022 9:54 AM

I don't remember if school was cancelled for the following Monday, the day of the funeral. I know I was allowed to stay home because my parents were total Kennedyphiles.

by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2022 12:50 PM

I too was in a catholic grammar school and heard the principal come over the pa system and say that he had been shot and later killed. It's funny on that Sunday just when Ruby shot Oswald my mom had me adjusting the tv. We had to watch it on a videotape reply.

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2022 1:10 PM

I was a decade from being born. I always wondered what the day must have been like until living through Sept. 11--it floors me that there are full-fledged adults walking around with no memory of the planes hitting the towers.

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2022 6:36 PM

[quote] Where are these schools that sent everyone home?

Atlanta

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2022 6:44 PM

R51 President Johnson proclaimed the day of the funeral, November 25, a day of national mourning, so my guess is that schools were closed.

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2022 8:13 PM

r55 this isn't England when the President's proclamations carry weight for schools and banks for random holidays. Some schools may have closed but a governor has more power to close schools than a president.

by Anonymousreply 56November 23, 2022 8:21 PM

I wasn’t even alive yet either, OP. It’s too bad that JFK was corrupt.

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2022 8:31 PM

[quote] It’s too bad that JFK was corrupt.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2022 8:32 PM

He might not have been killed.

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2022 8:36 PM

So, your theory is he was killed because he was corrupt. And your evidence of that?

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2022 8:37 PM

That’s not what I said. At all.

by Anonymousreply 61November 23, 2022 8:38 PM

What are you saying? Why do you think he was corrupt and what that has to do with his murder?

by Anonymousreply 62November 23, 2022 8:39 PM

I’m saying that he was no victim of circumstance. He was no innocent bystander regarding how he came to be elected.

by Anonymousreply 63November 23, 2022 8:40 PM

OK. Any time you want to bring up anything of substance, we can talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 64November 23, 2022 8:42 PM

I go along with the idea that it was the mafia that fed the Kennedys. Joseph Kennedy was involved with booklegging which was where they got their money. Move ahead to the 60s John is in The White House and his brother Robert is attorney general going after the mob. By knocking off John Kennedy they also get rid of Robert. Two birds with one shot.

by Anonymousreply 65November 23, 2022 8:44 PM

[quote]and LIFE magazines from that day,

DL fave Elizabeth Ashley was on the cover of the LIFE magazine that was released the day of the assasination.

Phil Spector's holiday album was also released that day.

by Anonymousreply 66November 23, 2022 8:50 PM

The reality is that there were numerous individuals, groups of people, organizations, etc who were directly impacted by the Kennedy presidency in a very negative way. There were many with axes to grind. Some of them participated in the plot together, including the government. My opinion, anyway. Who was the mob boss that JFK and Bobby had deported to the middle of a jungle in S America? Left there in the jungle to die. Rosselli? Marcello? Miraculously, he made it out alive. This is just one example.

by Anonymousreply 67November 23, 2022 8:52 PM

R65, you have a point there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 23, 2022 8:53 PM

[quote]DL fave Elizabeth Ashley was on the cover of the LIFE magazine that was released the day of the assasination.

If the date of the magazine is Nov 22, 1963, it probably was not. Weekly magazines like Life always dated them a week ahead i.e. Nov 22 would be on the stands Nov 15.

by Anonymousreply 69November 23, 2022 9:00 PM

Yes we were on EST so it would have been after 1 p.m. when the whole thing started. We were dismissed only about an hour early at 2:30 p.m. or 3 p.m.

Texas was an hour behind us......

by Anonymousreply 70November 24, 2022 2:41 AM

R69 The November 29th issue was a JFK memoriam issue, so it can't have been exactly a week. If I recall, when I still subscribed to magazines, it was more like 5 days.

by Anonymousreply 71November 24, 2022 2:47 AM

Im the poster with box of JFK papers, and LIFE magazines. I'll go pull it out of the attic and setting this date debate.

by Anonymousreply 72November 24, 2022 2:56 AM

R72 Damn, DL is a resource. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 73November 24, 2022 2:58 AM

Nov 29th is correct!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 24, 2022 3:08 AM

Dec 6th

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 24, 2022 3:10 AM

Dec 13th

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 24, 2022 3:12 AM

Here is a random one from Aug 16th!

I apologize for not remembering the correct dates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 24, 2022 3:15 AM

They'd had a baby die in August? I never knew that.

by Anonymousreply 78November 24, 2022 3:42 AM

What a shitty couple of months Jackie had. No wonder she needed assistance.

by Anonymousreply 79November 24, 2022 3:43 AM

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. accused the CIA of murdering his uncle, President John F. Kennedy, in a tweet on December 16, 2022. He called the JFK assassination a “successful coup d’etat.”

“The most courageous newscast in 60 years. The CIA’s murder of my uncle was a successful coup d’état from which are democracy has never recovered,” RFK Jr. wrote, sharing a broadcast by Fox News’ host Tucker Carlson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 18, 2022 11:34 AM

RFK Jr is also an anti vax lunatic, so...

by Anonymousreply 81December 18, 2022 11:38 AM

I always found it darkly funny they claimed Jackie was trying to catch a piece of JFK's skull when she immediately jumped out of the car. It's pretty clear she was trying to get out of the firing line! And who could blame her?

by Anonymousreply 82October 14, 2023 1:55 PM

I guess we'll be coming up on the 60th anniversary next month. Makes me feel old.

by Anonymousreply 83October 14, 2023 2:33 PM

[quote] Where are these schools that sent everyone home?

Amongst others was Dallas's University Park Elementary School where the little kids cheered when told they could go home early that day. Dan Rather took that report and manufactured the myth anti Kennedy children cheered the assassination.

Eddie Barker was the CBS affiliate news director who was the first to report the death. Barker ran Rather's story by the school principal who replied run the story by the school's principal and some teachers, all of whom denied it outright. Because of the shooting, which took place at 12:30 p.m., the principal had decided to close the school early, though without telling the students why. The children at the school--including three of Barker's own--were merely happy to be going home early, he was told. There couldn't have been any spontaneous cheering at the news of Kennedy's murder.

And thus are network news anchors created.

by Anonymousreply 84October 14, 2023 3:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!