Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Mothers-in-Law" (1967- 1969)

Only lasted two seasons. A master class in how to turn mediocre scripts into funny ones- through line readings, facial expressions and just innate comedic timing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2022 12:57 AM

I remembered it from my early childhood -to the point where I preordered the box set when it was announced. I've watched it all the way through, several times. Eve and Kaye played off each other perfectly. Often the scripts were lame, but the four lead actors rose above them.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2022 7:41 PM

I rewatched this about ten years ago or so… I agree with what OP said — Ballard’s and Arden’s performances really sell. I always loved the episode where the engagement ring winds up in a meatball. 💍

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2022 7:41 PM

I was going to mention the meatball episode, R2! A classic.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2022 7:43 PM

I love this show, too. Remembered it from when I was a kid (must have been reruns) and then watched it all the way through a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4November 23, 2022 1:10 AM

I watched this about 12 years ago when it came out on DVD and echo the other sentiments- a show that should have been much worse than it turned out thanks to the cast, who moved heaven and earth. I've watched it a couple more times all through and wish they would have done a third season.

by Anonymousreply 5November 23, 2022 1:12 AM

Could not stand this show…especially Kaye Ballard and the two actors who played the children.

by Anonymousreply 6November 23, 2022 1:17 AM

What hurt this show is that Roger C. Carmel (who played Kaye Ballard's husband) quit after the first year because the cast was asked to take less money in order to keep the show on the air. He played his role in a blustery manner and did very well. During the second year they replaced him with Richard Deacon who acted whimpy and non-descript and the show just wasn't the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 23, 2022 1:22 AM

Never liked this show when I was a little kid. I remember my parents and grandparents enjoying it, though.

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2022 1:26 AM

I like it, but 's basically I Love Lucy. The same writers and Desi wrote the show. I didn't like the show as much after the Roger C. Carmel left.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2022 1:30 AM

I liked all the hair sticking out of Roger Carmel's shirt collar.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2022 2:25 AM

Also the worst theme music of any sitcom…awful shit of a tune.

by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2022 2:33 PM

I know I was a dyke, but does that mean they had to stick me with TWO gay husbands?

by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2022 7:20 PM

Does anyone know if Ballard was wearing a wig and dentures in that sitcom?

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2022 7:25 PM

I like the theme song and credit sequence!

by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2022 9:18 PM

This is pretty good. I find a lot of comedy from the 60s and earlier aged very well. This wasn't a hit?

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2022 9:34 PM

I LOVED the show was I was like 5 or 6 circa 1975. I used to call it Mother Sin Law. I remember trying to talk to my mother and her friend Mrs. Denver about it, but they had no idea what it was. It was on channel 5, mid mornings, so I could only watch it on summer vacation.

That just triggered a memory. I was so into TV when I was a little kid. I remember the last day of kindergarten. The teacher, Mrs. Burge, said "This is our last day together. I'm sad..." and I piped up "I'm not! Now I get to see my shows!" And Mothers in Law was one of those shows.

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2022 9:53 PM

I saw it in reruns.

Funny, I thought it ran longer.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2022 12:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!