Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How to keep six month old kittens away from Christmas tree?

I took in two feral kittens late in the summer, a brother and sister, who are now about six months old.

I tried clapping my hands at them when they attack the ornaments but that didn't work, so I tried a spray bottle.

Oliver hated being sprayed so he ran off, but his sister, Annie, actually likes water and being sprayed didn't phase her one bit!! She also plays and splashes in her water bowl so....🤷‍♂️

Any suggestions??

by Anonymousreply 56November 24, 2022 4:37 AM

They won't be able to stay away.. My suggestion is keep your camera handy for cute pics.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2022 6:38 PM

Cats do not like citrus.

Surround the area with it.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2022 6:41 PM

OP, you may have to face the choice of cats or a tree. When I got my first cat as an adult, I put up a tree his first Christmas and by the time the 25th rolled around, that poor tree was destroyed. I got an additional cat the next summer and I never put up a tree again. They have subsequently both died and this will be my first year without both of them, so I am thinking about doing a tree again.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try, but kitties just cannot help themselves around Christmas trees.

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2022 6:43 PM

My ex had a cat. On his first Christmas we put up a tree. He sniffed at the base and then ignored it. We rejoiced.

It was not five minutes after we went to bed we heard a CRRRASH and ran into the living room to find the tree down and Oliver the orange cat sitting in the middle of it proudly. All we could figure is that he took a running leap and landed right in the middle of the tree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2022 7:06 PM

antifreeze

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2022 7:08 PM

Just make sure you never use tinsel. It's shiny and they may eat it.

I've found that cats get used to it and eventually leave it alone. Kittens? Fugeaboutit. But they'll be adults next year.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2022 7:11 PM

"IT" in the second paragraph refers to the tree, not the tinsel.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2022 7:12 PM

Can you keep them out of that room? Banish them to a bedroom where their litter box and food are - it's a bit cruel, solitary confinement, but if you're determined to have a tree, it may be all you can do.

Next time, maybe a small tree on top of a table that they can't leap up to?

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2022 7:13 PM

They are such busybodies with greater powers than people of sneakiness and secrecy by instinct, a human has no chance in interception of the Christmas tree climbing attempts. All you can do is cordon off the tree zone. Build something they can’t jump over climb over or under to block access.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2022 7:16 PM

What everyone else said. I use garland on high shelves, etc. around the apartment where the cats can't reach and decorate the strands like a Christmas tree.

Also, don't spray your cats with water. It doesn't help with discipline and it stresses them out.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2022 7:16 PM

Put barrier fencing around the tree.

Have the tree on the front porch and enjoy it through the windows.

Suspend the tree from the ceiling, above the kittens reach.

Artistic metal tree with no ornaments.

No tree, June lots of decorations.

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2022 7:17 PM

EASY. Give them something else to do. Kittens need to keep busy.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2022 7:17 PM

Even if the tree is not decorated, their instinct is to climb onto the highest level in a room. These creatures literally live to look down on you.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2022 7:20 PM

You can't, OP. All you can do is kitten-proof your tree. NEVER use tinsel, they will eat it and it can be very dangerous. Hang unbreakable ornaments towards the bottom of the tree where the kittens are more likely to bat at them. Get a length of clear fishing line and use it to tie your tree to something sturdy (an overhead light fixture, curtain rod, etc.) so that they can't knock the tree over.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2022 7:29 PM

Hang bells on your tree. You can find large decorative jingle bell ornaments anywhere Christmass shit is sold. They might not deter your kittens, but at least you'll know when they're messing with the tree. Hopefully over time they'll associate the bells ringing with your angry reactions and learn to avoid the tree.

Other than that there isn't a whole lot you can do. If you have any expensive or sentimental value ornaments that are breakable, maybe put those away until the kittens are cats and a little more calm. You can also secure the tree with fishing line or wire to keep it from toppling over completely.

I have three cats and the youngest is still a bit kittenish despite being 6. We have an artificial tree and I always put it up weeks early, before thanksgiving, but leave it unlit and undecorated --completely bare -- for a few weeks. My kitten-cat can get all her zoomies and destructive tendencies out of her system before the novelty wears off. Then I'll decorate early-mid December and by that point she's pretty uninterested.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2022 7:39 PM

Head to your nearest pet store and buy a cat repellent spray, then use it all around the tree, including the base of the tree itself and lower branches. It won't harm the kitties, but it will keep them away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2022 8:16 PM

Burn it to the fucking ground. You’ll get no peace otherwise. Christmas decorations can be your reason to go to the mall.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2022 8:20 PM

Coyote Urine

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2022 8:28 PM

In addition to the idea of hanging bells on the tree, you could also try putting something on the floor around the tree to deter them. Orange peels might work; the nice thing about orange is that the smell goes pretty well with pine, and you can cover the peels with a tree skirt. You could also try putting tin foil on the floor around the tree; cats supposedly hate walking on it.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2022 8:29 PM

I had a neighbor who put her tree in a playpen to keep the cats off it.

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2022 8:32 PM

[quote]How to keep six month old kittens away from Christmas tree?

Convert to Judaism?

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2022 8:33 PM

Also: Bless you, OP, for taking in the kittens. You’re a good egg.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2022 8:33 PM

You can’t! My 2 little guys were the tiniest little terminators when they were little. Like poster above said, you will take lots of cute pictures.

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2022 8:33 PM

[quote] Convert to Judaism?

How do you keep six month old kittens away from a menorah? R21

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2022 8:49 PM

Your kittens are named Oliver and Annie…🥹.

I have no suggestions; sorry.

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2022 9:03 PM

Here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2022 9:24 PM

Sorry, stinky link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2022 9:25 PM

You e had enough Xmas trees in your life , OP The kitties are way more important and cuter to look at. Santa isn’t stopping at your house anyhow so embrace being a cat daddy!

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2022 9:30 PM

My Christmas kitten not only did his best to destroy the tree, he pissed all over our presents too! I loved Misty..

by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2022 9:51 PM

Have you given consideration to changing your religion?

by Anonymousreply 30November 22, 2022 9:56 PM

Funny I have 3 cats. The first Christmas after they adopted me I was so worried about the tree that I didn’t put my usual ornaments on it. Instead I used white snowflakes, red and silver shatterproof balls and candy canes. Tucked a silver garland in the branches. Was surprised how good it looked.

They didn’t care about the tree. They loved the tree rug I used under it. They took turns sleeping under it, The make car gets very excited every year when I bring the boxes with the tree and ornaments into the great room. He meows constantly, jumps atop the fireplace mantel (which I don’t decorate) and meows at me, goes inside the fireplace (where I put garland and white lights) and just sits upright demanding attention. Once the tree is up he calms down.

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2022 1:53 AM

Shake an empty Coke can filled with a few pennies? Throw a balled up sock at them?

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2022 2:41 AM

I got home from work and the tree is still up!!

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2022 4:40 AM

This is why God invented tasers.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2022 4:44 AM

Here's Annie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2022 4:45 AM

And here's Oliver!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2022 4:46 AM

A lot of Pointsettas. They will be dead by the hour.

Seriously though. NO POINTSETTAS in front of cats. Get those fake ones at Michael’s.

by Anonymousreply 37November 23, 2022 4:56 AM

I have no answers. I have an 18 year old cat. The last time I had a tree was 18 years ago. She ransacked it. And now I have a 5 year old boy and I can't even keep him off the stove.

by Anonymousreply 38November 23, 2022 4:59 AM

Here's Annie and Oliver just days after I trapped them. They were born in my neighbour's yard to a feral.

Both kittens are still very skittish but make a little progress every week. Oliver is much more tame than his sister, who only lets me pet and cuddle her in bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 23, 2022 5:03 AM

throw them out!

since they r feral , they know what 2 do in the wild

collect them back easily after epiphany since u chipped them

by Anonymousreply 40November 23, 2022 5:08 AM

Like moths to fire. Cats are cats and they will not change their curious behavior for you just because it is Christmas. I did away with my tree after an unsuccessful two year streak with my kitty. She can not be trusted around anything with branches.

by Anonymousreply 41November 23, 2022 6:04 AM

One of my cats ate tinsel. I saw a bit of it dangling from her little behind. I assume the rest came out the next day.

by Anonymousreply 42November 23, 2022 6:48 AM

Christmas lilies - death within days from acute kidney failure.

Chocolate - toxic

Pine needles, tinsel - dangerous

by Anonymousreply 43November 23, 2022 6:51 AM

I always wondered why ceiling anchored trees became so popular.

by Anonymousreply 44November 23, 2022 7:16 AM

R39 what happened to their mom?

by Anonymousreply 45November 23, 2022 7:19 AM

They are so sweet.

by Anonymousreply 46November 23, 2022 8:00 AM

I have always been so lucky that my little girl, the pekingese dog, have never been a big destroyer, not even when she was a puppy. She only chewed one pair of slippers and one sneakers.

by Anonymousreply 47November 23, 2022 8:32 AM

Shut your mouth and fear Allah!

by Anonymousreply 48November 23, 2022 9:06 AM

This is an uphill battle you will not win, OP

by Anonymousreply 49November 23, 2022 9:41 AM

OH MY GOD THE KITTEN BIT THE HEAD OFF THE CHRISTMAS MOUSE!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50November 23, 2022 12:02 PM

Put the back in the wild where you found them. It's not good to take in wild animals.

by Anonymousreply 51November 23, 2022 12:05 PM

Annie and Oliver are adorable little criminal bastards and I'm looking forward to the photos of your tree, lying deceased on the floor, your kittens licking their paws after a job well done.

by Anonymousreply 52November 23, 2022 12:07 PM

R51 you stupid woman, domestic cat is not a wild animal. They are not tigers. They were just born from the stray cat.

by Anonymousreply 53November 23, 2022 12:11 PM

Faze.

by Anonymousreply 54November 23, 2022 12:46 PM

Pointsettas are very toxic to cats. Also Easter lilys. You have been warned.

by Anonymousreply 55November 23, 2022 2:07 PM

I go through phases where I want a pet. I hate losing one though. Almost makes it not worth it. I guess some of us have an innate nurturing trait.

by Anonymousreply 56November 24, 2022 4:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!