Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Buick Nameplate On The Way Out?

Sales have tumbled 47.5%. Even with an all crossover lineup, they still remain in the doldrums. When did they last make a really impressive car?

No sympathy for them at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2022 3:08 AM

OP- General Motors has already eliminated Oldsmobile and Pontiac ( Years ago) and now they might eliminate Buick. They won't have any brands left to sell. I do think that Buicks are bland and irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2022 6:07 PM

They became unreliable and their customers, who are older, went with Honda and Toyota.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2022 6:13 PM

Aretha sang about Mercury but she rode in a Cadillac of some kind all the way through.

She had a freeway up in there but I wouldn't say it was "of love."

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2022 6:15 PM

The Buick brand was kept alive when Pontiac and Oldsmobile were dropped because the name was still highly prestigious in the Chinese and Asian markets. I guess now the Chinese are producing their own luxury cars Buick's market share is really down. It's a shame.

I remember my maternal grandfather being extremely proud of his new Buick Electra with the appropriate 4 portholes on the side. (Lessor models had 2 or 3.) He died refusing to ever drive a Mercedes because of World Wars 1 and 2. Japanese cars weren't even considered as an option as they were thought to be one step below a lawnmower.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2022 6:16 PM

The old GM strategy of people maturing through their line made sense in the 50s-90s: Young people who couldn't afford expensive cars started with Chevy, then as you became more financially successful, you bought up to Olds, Buick, and ended with Cadillac. It was a very effective marketing strategy for setting aspirational goals within GM brands.

However, the simplified strategy of by the Japanese companies of having two brands, such as Toyota and Lexus where Toyota was mass consumer and Lexus was the luxury nameplate is more aligned with the way people think today.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2022 6:16 PM

Wouldn't you really rather drive a Buick?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2022 6:17 PM

Buick was known as The Doctor's Car.

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2022 6:18 PM

R4- Buicks- the full size ones were beautiful cars up until and including the late 1970's.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2022 6:19 PM

[quote] No sympathy for them at all

That’s funny Op.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2022 6:19 PM

These Buicks were very handsome cars.

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2022 6:22 PM

Here is the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2022 6:22 PM

They’ll continue in China.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2022 6:23 PM

This 1979 Buick Electra Park Avenue is a beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2022 6:25 PM

The vintage Cadillac they Lucy hated when they were going to drive to California would be a collectors item today.

The 1955 Pontiac Star Chief convertible they actually drove was nice looking too. It's strange they didn't get an Olds or Buick.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2022 6:33 PM

I like Buicks.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2022 6:36 PM

[quote]Lessor models had 2 or 3.

Oh dear. (Does this need a comma?)

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2022 6:41 PM

My parents drove Oldsmobiles back in the 60s and 70s, but in the 80s they changed it up.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2022 6:42 PM

My first car was a Buick Skyhawk. Loved that car...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2022 7:17 PM

OP that car is 1st post is actually pretty goodlooking.

by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2022 7:18 PM

Buicks are beautiful

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2022 7:47 PM

R18 that Skyhawk looks very similar to a Chevy Cavalier I had in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2022 7:48 PM

It was also called a Cadillac cimmaron r21

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2022 8:18 PM

My mom had one of these, Buick Electra 225, it was as enormous as it appears

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2022 8:40 PM

[quote] Lessor models had 2 or 3.

Were those the ones they made for Hertz and Avis?

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2022 9:15 PM

Post-Gas Crisis all GMs were the same across brands. All the cars threaded above are their J-cars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2022 9:22 PM

My older sister and I "inherited" this boat after my parents decided to buy another car. It was a 1963 Buick LeSabre 2-door sedan. Hard to imagine a sedan so huuuuuuuge. lol!

Anyway, I continued to drive it while in college. You could have a party in the back seat, and there was enough room in the trunk to sleep in. The hardest thing was finding a parking place for it to fit in. It only got about 8 miles to the gallon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2022 9:45 PM

My dad had an 1975 Buick Electra Limited coupe. Beautiful car. Power everything and a full leather interior. But the transmission was crappy.

They have really fallen from grace.

by Anonymousreply 27November 23, 2022 1:30 AM

We prefer the Prick

by Anonymousreply 28November 23, 2022 2:15 AM

[quote]OP- General Motors has already eliminated Oldsmobile and Pontiac ( Years ago) and now they might eliminate Buick. They won't have any brands left to sell. I do think that Buicks are bland and irrelevant.

What are we --- chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 29November 23, 2022 2:24 AM

[quote]OP- General Motors has already eliminated Oldsmobile and Pontiac ( Years ago) and now they might eliminate Buick. They won't have any brands left to sell. I do think that Buicks are bland and irrelevant.

They should just stick to Chevy and Cadillac and push all models into one of the two nameplates.

by Anonymousreply 30November 23, 2022 2:41 AM

Buicks were the step below Cadillac. The LaCrosse was a huge seller in China, having one was a prestige thing. The Regal is/was a really nice car. I had a GS before they changed the body style. They were based of the Opal GT. Just rebadged to buick and they are great cars. I would get a new Regal GS with the V6 but they are hard to find.

by Anonymousreply 31November 23, 2022 2:55 AM

Buick’s problem is that they dumped of their sedans and are now SUV/crossover only.

But their dealers are mostly paired with GMC, so they’re offering overlapping products, except GMC, with its “professional grade” reputation, has more appeal to younger people than Buick, the car their grandparents drove. Why buy a Buick Enclave when you could buy a GMC Acadia , the same vehicle, for $6k less?

Buick’s product line should resemble Lexus-Lexus is what Buick should have become in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 32November 23, 2022 3:05 AM

They're such enormous cars that in graduate school I adopted a fat cat and named it "Buicka" in their honor.

by Anonymousreply 33November 23, 2022 3:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!