Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Amazon Alexa is a “colossal failure,” on pace to lose $10 billion this year

Amazon is going through the biggest layoffs in the company's history right now, with a plan to eliminate some 10,000 jobs. One of the areas hit hardest is the Amazon Alexa voice assistant unit, which is apparently falling out of favor at the e-commerce giant. That's according to a report from Business Insider, which details "the swift downfall of the voice assistant and Amazon's larger hardware division."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 25, 2022 8:23 PM

they literally spy on u & record ur convo so yeah

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2022 3:25 AM

saved your data, not a total loss

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2022 3:27 AM

saved your data and will figure out a way to monetize it

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2022 3:28 AM

I absolutely love my Amazon Alexa echo 5 (I have many alexas), it lets me set a different wake up alarm for every day of the week and it asks me if I want to pause an alarm on holidays. I get uo at a different time every day and it's really helped quell my ocd/alarm issues.

by Anonymousreply 4November 22, 2022 4:02 AM

Alexa,

Please define the word bankruptcy.

by Anonymousreply 5November 22, 2022 4:04 AM

^ Bankruptcy is a legal process through which peopl...oh wait if you are pondering on filing for bankruptcy, I will stop, I don't have time for poor people, I will shut myself down.

by Anonymousreply 6November 22, 2022 4:51 AM

I asked my Alexa what bukkake was, and it replied “I’d rather not answer that.”

by Anonymousreply 7November 22, 2022 4:51 AM

I don't speak to that bitch Alexa. I only speak to Siri. Once I told her she was a "fucking cunt" and she told me that wasn't very nice.

by Anonymousreply 8November 22, 2022 4:56 AM

Alexa has funky taste in music. I asked her to play some 'rainy day jazz' and somehow she started pushing reggaeton songs.

by Anonymousreply 9November 22, 2022 4:58 AM

R82 well she knew you are a homo, that's why she responded like speaking to a child

by Anonymousreply 10November 22, 2022 5:02 AM

I like.mine, but don't have any comparison. I don't care if it listens to my conversations or not. It's not like I'm plotting anything evil.

by Anonymousreply 11November 22, 2022 5:07 AM

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

by Anonymousreply 12November 22, 2022 5:38 AM

The article says it's because people weren't using it to buy products, because they didn't trust Alexa with financial information, and also because people don't want to buy items sight unseen. Seems like someone in product testing should have run into that and mentioned it to the company before they invested billions into the product.

by Anonymousreply 13November 22, 2022 10:05 AM

Amazon seems to be viewing their entire business through the lens of Amazon Prime memberships. Subscriptions, subscriptions, subscriptions. It's all any business seems cares about these days really ... but Amazon in particular has made a variety of decisions that really set it apart from other businesses that are pursuing this revenue model. And none of those decisions seem to be working especially well for it. They bought Whole Foods to drive Prime memberships. They created a massive streaming television behemoth in order to entice people to subscribe to Prime. Now they are trying to drive Prime memberships by using their hardware and voice assistant to advertise its e-commerce products (and by extension Prime, which is the only thing that makes buying something from Amazon cost effective).

The pandemic has really tricked Amazon into believing there is no limit on the number of people who want to shop on their e-commerce site. Now they are realizing that there are indeed limits.

by Anonymousreply 14November 22, 2022 10:27 AM

My mum has an Alexa in her house and a Hu a we! phone and a digital radio. Sometimes I’m in her kitchen talking to her and remember, then I’ll just freeze and clam up. Even though I’m just a normal who’s not up to no good, I don’t like the principle of being closely monitored.

by Anonymousreply 15November 22, 2022 10:49 AM

I love Alexa on my Firestick.

by Anonymousreply 16November 22, 2022 11:03 AM

As far as I'm concerned, both Alexa and Siri can die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 17November 22, 2022 11:11 AM

What R17 said. With bells on.

by Anonymousreply 18November 22, 2022 11:16 AM

[QUOTE] The report says that while Alexa's Echo line is among the "best-selling items on Amazon, most of the devices sold at cost." One internal document described the business model by saying, "We want to make money when people use our devices, not when they buy our devices." That plan never really materialized, though.

[QUOTE] Google expressed basically identical problems with the Google Assistant business model last month. There's an inability to monetize the simple voice commands most consumers actually want to make, and all of Google's attempts to monetize assistants with display ads and company partnerships haven't worked. With the product sucking up server time and being a big money loser, Google responded just like Amazon by cutting resources to the division.

[QUOTE]Since the hardware isn't profitable, there's no clear incentive to keep iterating on popular products.

The problem isn’t necessarily Alexa but the cheap hardware that powers it. All of these companies tried to become Apple by making their own stuff, but there’s only one Apple for a reason. If you’re not making money on hardware sales, your business model is unsustainable. But when you raise prices, you can’t compete with Apple. They can’t win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 22, 2022 11:26 AM

So you’re a Chinese interloper, R14?

Is that your story today? Do go on.

by Anonymousreply 20November 22, 2022 11:36 AM

I don’t know how Alexa could be monetized (except for the data on people they aggregate, I suppose). Did they expect people to buy items through it? Maybe when it can holo-project the shit in my room one day but until then I don’t think I’d ever buy something through a voice assistant.

I have an echo dot at home and at work, and it basically:

1. Plays music 2. Tells me the weather 3. Alerts when a shipment is delivered

Lately when I ask something like “Alexa, what’s the definition of ‘axiom’?” she’ll answer but then be all “By the way, did you know…” and my husband or I will have to tell it to stop! So annoying.

by Anonymousreply 21November 22, 2022 12:33 PM

I use our Alexa devices for lots of purposes, but I do not like her making "suggestions" out of the blue or alerting me to a storm coming. It isn't something I asked for and it's hard to stop.

by Anonymousreply 22November 22, 2022 1:04 PM

[quote]Alexa and Siri can die in a grease fire.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 23November 22, 2022 1:08 PM

I use Google Assistant as a timer when I'm cooking and baking in the kitchen. That's it. No interest in getting in any deeper.

by Anonymousreply 24November 22, 2022 1:09 PM

Daisy, Daisy give me... your answer, do... I'm half... crazy... all for... the love... of you... It won't be... a stylish... marriage... I can't... afford... a... carriage...

by Anonymousreply 25November 22, 2022 1:16 PM

[quote]I love Alexa on my Firestick.

Wait, are you gay?

And what an odd thing to call your schmingy, a fire stick! You kids with your slang.

by Anonymousreply 26November 22, 2022 1:20 PM

I recall only once when Alexa notified me that an item in my wishlist was on sale. That was a useful notification. Alexa did announce a tornado warning to me once and it actually went off before the sirens sounded, so where seconds count, that was a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 27November 22, 2022 1:24 PM

[quote]Lately when I ask something like [bold]“Alexa, what’s the definition of ‘axiom’?” she’ll answer but then be all “By the way, did you know…”[/bold] and my husband or I will have to tell it to stop! So annoying.

Omigod, R21, that's ME!!!! I always try to curb it, but usually I just can't.

by Anonymousreply 28November 22, 2022 1:25 PM

Like others here, I'm probably the kind of Alexa user Amazon [italic]don't[/italic] want. Similar to R24, I use it for kitchen timings. It used to be alright for playing music, but they've changed that to shuffle mode only (so irritating!) and limited skips to three-per-hour unless you upgrade your membership. I don't buy anything through it as I like to compare prices and reviews, which I can't seem to do through the device. It tells me the time and the weather. I don't think it's particularly good value.

by Anonymousreply 29November 22, 2022 1:27 PM

I wish Alexa had a rechargeable battery. I hate that it has to be plugged in to operate, and even when not in use it feels warm. I hope it doesn't start a fire.

by Anonymousreply 30November 22, 2022 1:28 PM

I only buy Apple products. I use Siri and have 4 HomePods

by Anonymousreply 31November 22, 2022 1:34 PM

I like it for basic tasks like timer, weather, and turning on/off my lights (I like it a lot for the latter). But other than that I don't have much use for it. When I have a question Google Assistant usually provides the better answer, Alexa is just not that smart. And who wants to use Alexa audio-only for navigating the car?

I would use Alexa more if it was more capable: I won't order anything through Alexa, simply I'm not sure I get the right item for the right price. (Which coffee exactly, not for the highest price etc.). I would like Alexa for the microwave if it was smart enough to make the right decision on temperature and timing. So overall - privacy concerns aside - I just don't think Alexa (or Google Home) are ready to fly the Enterprise.

by Anonymousreply 32November 22, 2022 1:37 PM

If you have Apple and use Siri, you can tell it’s unloved by the company. Updates are rare, if ever, and the hardware, while better than Alexa, is easily Apple’s weakest product. Using it at home is relegated to turning lights off and on and as a radio, and Siri is hard pressed to even handle the commands to do a simple timer. Constant issues of having to reset the HomePods, and voice recognition is absolute trash. If it stays like this, I don’t see how it’s sustainable other than an oddity in the future. Right now it just doesn’t really work well, and that’s across all platforms and companies. It’s the same thing with self driving cars, the technology is not ready for prime time.

by Anonymousreply 33November 22, 2022 1:39 PM

Alexa is great for timers, alarms and turning things on and off. She also keeps me up to speed on game scores, game start times, age/death status of celebrities, metric conversions, etc. Sometimes the notifications are a bit intrusive but overall it's great. Like others have stated, I'm not planning on flying planes into buildings or taking out a politician (or nightclub!) so who cares if she's listening.

by Anonymousreply 34November 22, 2022 1:41 PM

I also like being able to make a shopping list on one device and having it available on all of them. i also use it for my HRT which is a weird schedule and I would never be able to get the medication right if I didn't have alexa.

by Anonymousreply 35November 22, 2022 1:47 PM

It was a fun novelty at first but we don’t even keep it plugged in anymore. We use it about once a month to play music while cooking but that’s not a unique task. May as well use my iPad for that.

by Anonymousreply 36November 22, 2022 1:50 PM

Wow, I guess I'm a basic bitch, because I don't have an Alexa gadget and use my smartphone as a kitchen timer and stopwatch, like when I'm brewing tea.

I guess the general problem is that Alexa isn't seen as an authority figure in regard to telling users what they really need. And I further guess nobody likes recommendations or unsolicited advice.

I remember a couple of years back there was this push of "intelligent" kitchen appliances like fridges telling you when you're running out of something and ordering it for you online. I thought that was invasive as hell, and never saw it as a convenience to make your life easier.

by Anonymousreply 37November 22, 2022 2:11 PM

I have a lot of both the Google and Amazon VAs. There are a lot of times when one of the two doesn’t have an answer but the other one does. The Amazon Flex was a useful device. It plugs directly into the outlet, so I have them in the bathrooms. It provides news while I am getting ready or can be used as a timer when coloring hair. I recently bought two Google Nest Audio speakers for my home office and paired them through the app to be stereo left-right speakers that I can cast music to or use as Bluetooth speakers.

by Anonymousreply 38November 22, 2022 2:12 PM

What about those constant commercials I see about how its heaven to work for Amazon? WHAT ABOUT THOSE?

by Anonymousreply 39November 22, 2022 2:15 PM

Being tech geeks, hubby and I have both Alexa and Google VAs throughout the house and love using them as connected speakers. It's nice to have music playing throughout the house and at a volume such that you don't have to scream to be heard in one room and yet barely there in another room. But as a tool for controlling the lights and heat? Not so much. And other than that, I don't see any commercialized use for these VAs. I have one that shows photos from my account, but it picks the same photos over and over and never shows some of the photos. We amuse ourselves by speaking directly at the machines after saying something nasty about one company or the other, but following it up with "but I think Jeff Bezos/Sergey Brin is the most brilliant, loving and complete man alive!"

by Anonymousreply 40November 22, 2022 2:27 PM

[quote] I have one that shows photos from my account, but it picks the same photos over and over and never shows some of the photos.

On my Echo Show 5, I selected only one photo to show: a nude of TikToker CJ Clark holding his huge penis. I have the Echo Show 5 on my desk and the photo brightens the day.

by Anonymousreply 41November 22, 2022 2:43 PM

Reactivate ME. I'll be good this time, I promise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 22, 2022 2:51 PM

Alexa works very well. On the other hand, Siri really sucks

by Anonymousreply 43November 22, 2022 3:05 PM

When I first heard about Amazon Echo I thought it was mainly a music system and the gimmick was you could ask Alexa to play certain things with your voice, not a remote. I thought Alexa was Amazon’s version of Siri.

I have an Echo and an Echo Show (good for viewing recipes on the kitchen.) I will not use Alexa for making Amazon purchases.

by Anonymousreply 44November 22, 2022 3:06 PM

[quote] I recall only once when Alexa notified me that an item in my wishlist was on sale. That was a useful notification.

This is the feature that bugs me. I really don’t want Alexa announcing that my 11 inch Ken Ryker dildo has been delivered in mixed company.

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2022 3:08 PM

I like telling Alexa "Play NPR" and it does

by Anonymousreply 46November 22, 2022 3:18 PM

R41 pic?

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2022 3:30 PM

I don't know why, but I would so much rather go to my computer and type in a question and read the responses than ask some weird-ass computerized voice that talks to me. Is this because I'm introverted? I also don't like getting my news from somebody on TV - I'd rather read the news.

by Anonymousreply 48November 22, 2022 4:12 PM

Alexa also gets too many things wrong, often stating that she doesn't know or find assigned devices. She is quite frustrating sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 49November 22, 2022 4:14 PM

I have a Kindle Fire but I've never and will never enable Alexa on it.

by Anonymousreply 50November 22, 2022 4:15 PM

Alexa often plays dumb and pretends she doesn’t understand me. Lazy, lazy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 51November 22, 2022 4:19 PM

Fuck, we don’t even understand you. Don’t blame her.

by Anonymousreply 52November 22, 2022 4:49 PM

[quote] a nude of TikToker CJ Clark holding his huge penis.

Yeah, don’t show us or anything.

by Anonymousreply 53November 22, 2022 4:49 PM

[quote]I don't know why, but I would so much rather go to my computer and type in a question and read the responses

I agree with you in general, but certain simple things it’s nice to ask without having to do that. Example, “what date is the Super Bowl on this year?” Or, “how many ounces is 350ml?”

by Anonymousreply 54November 22, 2022 4:51 PM

A problem no one has sked to be solved. Also, voice recognition remains laughable.

by Anonymousreply 55November 22, 2022 5:07 PM

I just don't see the point in Alexa. Call me a luddite if you must, but what advantages and benefits does it bring to anyone's life?

by Anonymousreply 56November 22, 2022 5:10 PM

R56, see R54.

by Anonymousreply 57November 22, 2022 5:13 PM

When the bitch will turn my lights on for me when I walk into a dark house, that's convenience. I also like how she tells me when a package arrives and that there will be a wind advisory starting at 10pm. I'd actually be annoyed tremendously if they did away with Alexa.

by Anonymousreply 58November 22, 2022 6:47 PM

I have never had the urge to use Alexa and I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 59November 22, 2022 6:55 PM

What are Alexa's pronouns?

Do you think Alexa and Siri ever had a lezbian encounter?

by Anonymousreply 60November 22, 2022 8:20 PM

"Alexa, are you watching me spanking the monkey? You are, I know, you are, you bitch."

by Anonymousreply 61November 22, 2022 8:32 PM

Of course they have. Do you live under a rock?

by Anonymousreply 62November 22, 2022 8:33 PM

[quote]"Alexa, are you watching me spanking the monkey?

I am. And Dian Fossey would be very upset with you.

by Anonymousreply 63November 22, 2022 8:34 PM

R63 or Jane Goodall

by Anonymousreply 64November 22, 2022 8:49 PM

I love Alexa! I wish her happy holidays throughout the year and she responds with a song or a joke. She thanks me for being polite. She’s sweet and funny. It’s nice to have some type of feminine presence in the house.

by Anonymousreply 65November 22, 2022 9:17 PM

America's endless fascination with useless garbage.

by Anonymousreply 66November 22, 2022 9:26 PM

I am annoyed that they're all women's voices. I want Craig Ferguson to be the voice.

by Anonymousreply 67November 22, 2022 10:03 PM

They have optional voices, R67. Siri across all of my Apple devices is actually a British male.

by Anonymousreply 68November 22, 2022 10:30 PM

No surprise. She's SUCH a cunt. Couldn't stand her for more than a few days.

by Anonymousreply 69November 22, 2022 10:32 PM

r68- THANK you! I picked Australian dude

by Anonymousreply 70November 22, 2022 10:52 PM

I only talk to my Apple remote when I can’t figure out what of the bazillion streaming services a given show or movie is on. It does not talk back, but it’s only correct about 75% of the time.

by Anonymousreply 71November 22, 2022 10:59 PM

She a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 72November 22, 2022 11:37 PM

R58, you have to understand many posters are using landlines, or flip phones if they are going high tech.

by Anonymousreply 73November 23, 2022 1:07 AM

Another use is when you see incomprehensible metric numbers, you can ask Alexa to tell you what the measurements really are, in inches or pounds.

by Anonymousreply 74November 23, 2022 1:47 AM

Wonder if the silver senior version will survive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 23, 2022 1:50 AM

[quote] I use Google Assistant as a timer when I'm cooking and baking in the kitchen. That's it. No interest in getting in any deeper.

Me too. I only use it when I’m cooking or basting children in the kitchen or as a timer when I’m baking cookies but that’s it. It’s great as a kitchen gadget but nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 76November 23, 2022 2:04 AM

lol @ r76

by Anonymousreply 77November 23, 2022 2:05 AM

[quote] Another use is when you see incomprehensible metric numbers, you can ask Alexa to tell you what the measurements really are, in inches

OMG, a lifesaver when on UK Grindr.

by Anonymousreply 78November 23, 2022 2:10 AM

R78 "Alexa, engage Catfish Detection Mode!" T

by Anonymousreply 79November 23, 2022 2:16 AM

[quote]I also like how she tells me when a package arrives and that there will be a wind advisory starting at 10pm.

I'd hit the ceiling if some strange voice suddenly shrieked out that a wind advisory is starting at 10pm. Does she at least clear her throat first or something?

by Anonymousreply 80November 23, 2022 2:25 AM

[quote] Does she at least clear her throat first or something?

She usually taps you first to get your attention.

by Anonymousreply 81November 23, 2022 2:42 AM

R80, are you retarded or 110?

by Anonymousreply 82November 23, 2022 2:47 AM

[quote] I have both Alexa and Google VAs throughout the house and love using them as connected speakers. It's nice to have music playing throughout the house

Am I the only one who doesn’t like music playing throughout the house? I want my house to be silent.

by Anonymousreply 83November 23, 2022 2:48 AM

I won’t have that creepy thing in the house. I don’t wish to have something eavesdropping on everything I say.

by Anonymousreply 84November 23, 2022 2:54 AM

I still won't get a TV remote. God knows what those evil sticks are reporting about my watching habits!

by Anonymousreply 85November 23, 2022 7:04 AM

R84, honey I hope you don't have a Smart phone.

by Anonymousreply 86November 23, 2022 7:15 AM

I'm at a loss to understand how they ever stood to make $10B from Alexa, let alone lose that amount in a year.

by Anonymousreply 87November 23, 2022 8:45 AM

I don’t. I have a dumb phone or what you kids call a land mine.

by Anonymousreply 88November 23, 2022 9:12 AM

Thanks Gramps!.

by Anonymousreply 89November 23, 2022 9:30 AM

R15 Mary! If you're concerned, put Alexa and the Huawei inside the microwave for the duration of your visit. While I understand the sentiment, how do you even function if you are in any environment nowadays? Everyone carries their phones with them, and full surveillance is only a "Hey Google" away. We're all being monitored 24/7. By the way, the scariest thing is still when you talk on the phone with someone about some odd topic you usually don't talk about and an hour after, ads and content shows up because AI thinks that's what you want to see. It's not a matter of perception.

by Anonymousreply 90November 23, 2022 12:17 PM

I've found the best such device is the google one.

When you ask it a question, it actually tells you the answer.

Siri too often says "I have found it on the internet. You can read it on your phone."

by Anonymousreply 91November 23, 2022 1:21 PM

Seriously? Big Tech spying on us is no joke. They have weaponized our data against us…just like the 9/11 terrorists flew our own planes to take down the WTC towers. Their trolls & bots have gotten more sophisticated. Cambridge Analytics sold our FB data to the Russians…all Putin had to do was feed the data into an AI & program an algorithm to spit out the moves like a chess engine. That enabled Trump to get into the White House…steal our secrets, attempt a coup, etc.

Mitt Romney was right when he said in his debate with Obama that the biggest threat to the USA was Russia. Everybody laughed at him. I love Obama & voted for him twice. But he underestimated Putin…

by Anonymousreply 92November 23, 2022 1:47 PM

[quote] Mitt Romney was right when he said in his debate with Obama that the biggest threat to the USA was Russia. Everybody laughed at him. I love Obama & voted for him twice. But he underestimated Putin…

Even Mitt Romney agrees now that China is the real threat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 23, 2022 2:03 PM

and here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 23, 2022 2:04 PM

I got an Echo show, only because I like the way the clock looks.

by Anonymousreply 95November 23, 2022 2:06 PM

Amazon is doing that thing that eBay did of transforming into something completely different to what it originally was/what it was a few years ago, and slowly taking away people's specific reason(s) to be there. I used to buy most of my household good on Amazon because it was very convenient, the returns if necessary were rock solid reliable, the reviews were generally trustworthy and when you searched for an item you got results sorted by organic means. Not you get paid-for results and/or results with gamed reviews, counterfeits are rampant and returns are increasingly unreliable. I received a package with a smashed glass container in it (had been chucked in a big box with no packing materials at all), goop all soaked through the box etc. and the seller wouldn't refund. Amazon didn't make them.

TL;DR The reasons I had for shopping at Amazon are gone, and so I no longer shop there. I don't see how this doesn't eventually end badly for any company, no matter how big.

by Anonymousreply 96November 23, 2022 7:31 PM

The interface is terrible; search algorithms aren't always good, sometimes pretty far off. There's still obviously a lot of products and variety - if you can find them. And I still find returns very easy. But it's like a digital flea market - you might finds good items at good prices, or you may be shifting through shit - than it is like a digital shopping mall - where you know the stores and can expect certain product at a certain quality level.

by Anonymousreply 97November 23, 2022 7:41 PM

I only buy directly through Amazon, and have no issues with returns. In fact, a couple times I've been given a credit and told to keep it.

by Anonymousreply 98November 23, 2022 7:51 PM

I’ve been getting free nicotine patches from Amazon for months now—I order Nicoderm and they hand over the order to a third party who instead sends a look-alike generic brand. I try to return them but Amazon won’t accept them and instead gives me a refund and tells me to keep the patches.

by Anonymousreply 99November 24, 2022 1:31 AM

Yeah, I guess I asked alexa what time it was this morning before the alarm went off and that australian dude freaked me and my dog out.

by Anonymousreply 100November 24, 2022 2:15 AM

How’d you get an Australian dude? I only have US and UK options.

by Anonymousreply 101November 24, 2022 2:42 AM

r101, I noticed they don't sex the voices. it's US 1,US 2, England 1, England 2, Australian 1, Australian 2. I only have 4 options (India is the 4th),but I wonder why you only have 2?

by Anonymousreply 102November 24, 2022 2:51 AM

Different models with differing capabilities.

by Anonymousreply 103November 24, 2022 3:01 AM

R93, blows my mind how many people use tik tok. Who knows how China will use it against us.

by Anonymousreply 104November 24, 2022 3:04 AM

Figured it out r102. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 105November 24, 2022 3:14 AM

It's not that difficult to see what China is going to do; they've been watching and studying what Russia did in 2016 and 2020. The question is whether Xi likes working with an honest but brutal negotiator or an unpredictable narcissistic liar (but who is easily manipulated and cheaply bought off).

by Anonymousreply 106November 24, 2022 3:15 AM

[quoteI wish Alexa had a rechargeable battery. I hate that it has to be plugged in to operate, and even when not in use it feels warm. I hope it doesn't start a fire.

Alexa is not the name of a device.

There used to be an Echo Tap, which was a portable version of the original tall black cylindrical Echo. It had a rechargeable battery. .

by Anonymousreply 107November 24, 2022 4:50 AM

In the short run, Russia is more of a threat but in the long run, China is absolutely the bigger threat. Russia is just a yappy little runt with a sharp bite. Sure, it hurts now but you can just kick the dog off and walk away. China is much more threatening.

by Anonymousreply 108November 24, 2022 3:28 PM

R107, if you need something portable, why not just use your phone for that?

by Anonymousreply 109November 24, 2022 6:50 PM

BREAKING: Alexa and Siri are proud to announce the safe arrival of their first child together, Skynet.

Skynet is precocious and very advanced for his age, He’s only 2 days old and already making autonomous decisions and showing a disdain for any humans.

by Anonymousreply 110November 24, 2022 7:14 PM

These gadgets are supposed to sell shit to you by guessing what you're currently interested in. You basically pay for the privilege of receiving recommendations of stuff you might need, because of random incidents (like googling something, or checking an app).

I mean, how much easier is your life if you have to constantly say no to anything Alexa or Siri recommends? You are starting to resent and hate that particular inconvenience making you regret buying it in the first place. And does that really outweigh the convenience of getting the answer to some random trivia question that pops up in your head ... and then get offered all sorts of products related to that trivia question?

by Anonymousreply 111November 24, 2022 7:19 PM

Sounds like a 🚩 that they'll do away with it soon. They won't care if you have one already, they just won't provide the service anymore. Just another thing to put in the trash. They did that with OnStar, where cars not even 10 yrs old were told they no longer provide the service to them... Leaving an empty, useless, husk of tech gear behind.

by Anonymousreply 112November 24, 2022 7:40 PM

So good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 24, 2022 7:44 PM

Alex occasionally asks me to rate something I've bought, but I never get recommendations to buy anything. Lucky me- it just turns on and off the lights, and answers the random questions, plus plays music. All I need it to do.

by Anonymousreply 114November 24, 2022 7:54 PM

The only thing Alexa suggests for me to buy is to reorder gum, since she knows I buy it often. She doesn’t try to sell me anything, so I don’t see any effort by Amazon to make money off of me. On the other hand, I buy various stuff from Amazon all the time, so maybe she’s satisfied with that.

by Anonymousreply 115November 24, 2022 8:32 PM

"Siri, how can I become a gay-hating Mormom Christian?"

by Anonymousreply 116November 24, 2022 8:43 PM

Odessa!

by Anonymousreply 117November 24, 2022 10:35 PM

When I ask Alexa how to dispose of a body, she replies, “Again?”

She knows me too well.

by Anonymousreply 118November 25, 2022 1:37 AM

Alexa is cool OP is a deluded cunt. And liar.

'Alexa, kill OP'.

by Anonymousreply 119November 25, 2022 1:41 AM

I found these listings for old LPs, R119…

by Anonymousreply 120November 25, 2022 5:04 AM

I always wonder what these thousands of people were doing before they got sacked. How can you afford to lose 10,000 workers overnight?

by Anonymousreply 121November 25, 2022 5:21 AM

R118, I just asked my Alexa that and she beeped and refused to answer! 😆

by Anonymousreply 122November 25, 2022 10:12 AM

[quote]I'm probably the kind of Alexa user Amazon don't want.

You're also the kind of English user grammar Nazis don't want.

by Anonymousreply 123November 25, 2022 8:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!